eXPERIENCE + iNNOCENCE Tour 2018 - Rumors & General Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't mind that it will use basically the same stage setup as I+E. That was a really immersive, cutting edge set up and I'm certain they can program any number of different looks for it. Frankly it would be silly for them to completely scrap it and go with something new, especially given how connected this tour and record are to the last one.

I wonder how many of the SOI songs that were part of the I+E setlist will make this one. My guess? Zero. And I suspected Streets, and probably WOWY, are the only JT songs that will make the tour. Though something from R&H would be nice.

Last edited:
There's no way they'll play four songs from SOI, given that they'll probably play six from SOE. That's almost half the show on songs a good number of people in the audience will not even want to hear.

I would be stunned if they played more than one SOI song. I do agree that they'll probably play more 90's songs (vs. 80's) this time around.

Last edited:
I'm not complaining about the US getting more shows, but it seems like they are really saturating certain areas, and a lot of other places haven't gotten a show since 360 or before. I'm kind of surprised there's nothing in Edmonton and Winnipeg, representing a giant chunk of Canada that hasn't had a show since 2011. Both cities could easily sell out 2 arenas shows. Tulsa, St. Louis and Nashville show us that they're not above doing single nights in smaller markets, so why leave out places like Salt Lake City, Portland, Omaha, Milwaukee, etc. Meanwhile NYC will get 6 shows on this tour. They'll definitely sell them all out, but the mentality seems to be "why play a show in Portland when we'd make more money just adding another date in NYC?". Just an observation, this tour schedule seems to be a little lean and retreading the same ground they did in 2015 and 2017. With the likely addition of 2nd shows, it seems this leg will be 28-29 shows, depending on how many they add in LA.

I'm not complaining for myself. I saw 2 shows in 2015, 2 in 2017, I'm already a spoiled fan. The fact that I even have the option again in 2018 is unreal. I have gone to Chicago 3 times when there was no closer date to Ohio (2005 1st leg, 2009, 2015), but I think this year we're going to opt for Nashville. Same drive as Chicago, only on a Saturday. Nashville will probably be easier to score GA tickets, and I've never been so we'll make a weekend of it, do some sight seeing, etc. So looks like only 1 show for me this year, but I'm still excited.

There's no way they'll play four songs from SOI, given that they'll probably play six from SOE. That's almost half the show on songs a good number of people in the audience will not even want to hear.

I would be stunned if they played more than one SOI song. I do agree that they'll probably play more 90's songs (vs. 80's) this time around.

I'm certain there will be at least a couple of SOI songs because of the thematic connection. The band have made very clear that the albums are complementary. The question is which SOI songs they would pick, as none has an immediate claim - EBW is probably the best chance, but if SOE already provides a good number of ballads then I could see it missing out. I think it will be dictated by whatever thematic arcs the band try to construct.

I'm not complaining about the US getting more shows, but it seems like they are really saturating certain areas, and a lot of other places haven't gotten a show since 360 or before. I'm kind of surprised there's nothing in Edmonton and Winnipeg, representing a giant chunk of Canada that hasn't had a show since 2011. Both cities could easily sell out 2 arenas shows. Tulsa, St. Louis and Nashville show us that they're not above doing single nights in smaller markets, so why leave out places like Salt Lake City, Portland, Omaha, Milwaukee, etc. Meanwhile NYC will get 6 shows on this tour. They'll definitely sell them all out, but the mentality seems to be "why play a show in Portland when we'd make more money just adding another date in NYC?". Just an observation, this tour schedule seems to be a little lean and retreading the same ground they did in 2015 and 2017. With the likely addition of 2nd shows, it seems this leg will be 28-29 shows, depending on how many they add in LA.

I'm not surprised Portland missed out, as the Pacific Northwest was visited in both 2015 and 2017. And not sure you can call the schedule that much of a retread when it includes a bunch of places conspicuous by their absence from 2015 and/or 2017. But I am surprised they're running through so much flyover country again when we thought JT30 was getting that out of the way so they could just focus on the main markets.

On the topic of extra shows, I'm guessing that everywhere with at least three empty days afterwards is in line for an extra gig. That would allow the band to have 2 days on followed by 2 days off, like they did in 2015. Obviously there are a couple of examples of them taking just one day off, like after Tulsa and Nashville, but those seem to be exceptions reserved for after shows in cities that only get one night.

So my pick for extra nights: San Jose, LA, Chicago, Atlanta, Montreal, Uniondale, Philly, DC, Boston, New York, Newark. LA has room for 3-4, but I think it will be just two.

There's also room for a second night in St Louis but I don't think they're willing to do five shows in seven nights (Tulsa/off/STL/STL/off/SJ/SJ).

Any of you guys have any educated guesses on which cities might get more shows?

The million dollar question: buy tickets for the listed weeknight LA show or wait until a second show (or third?) gets added and hope it's on a weekend.

If a city got 4+ nights on i+e, I think it'll get multiple shows this go around. So that's LA, Chicago, Montreal, Boston, and New York. I think DC is big enough to support two shows, but there must have been a reason they skipped it on i+e. The question is how many; will cities like New York and LA get more than two nights considering they just had two stadium shows?

Oh, and I'm not counting Newark as the second New York show.

Last edited:

All cities will get extra shows except Tulsa, St. Louis and Nashville. The answer is in the gaps between dates. Not sure what the demand is like in Vegas, but I would imagine the INTENTION is to have 2 shows.

Pretty sure we will get 2 in Atlanta. Phillips Arena is being renovated so they are playing a smaller arena in the suburbs. Only 13,000 seats. It will sell out instantly. They haven’t been here since 360.

The absence of Toronto is the biggest surprise of this tour.Unless they'll put one in the 7 days gap between Atlanta and Montréal.

Actually Canada has being under play for the last 3 tour.Is it because of the canadian dollard ?

Last edited:
All cities will get extra shows except Tulsa, St. Louis and Nashville. The answer is in the gaps between dates. Not sure what the demand is like in Vegas, but I would imagine the INTENTION is to have 2 shows.

Ah yes, I meant to include Las Vegas in my earlier list, which apparently nobody else can actually read. As far as arena tours hitting Las Vegas go, they did two on Vertigo but one on Elevation and JT (not that the latter is terribly relevant to demand today). No doubt it'll be two this time around.

And there is room for St Louis to get two if demand is insane enough and they're willing to do it.

Album: Dec 1st 2017.
Tour: May 2nd 2018.

I know there's usually a huge gap between their album releases and the touring because hey gotta make those future beach clips or wine and dine Clooney etal. I think POP aside, the last time they hit the road quickly after a new record was Feb 1992, but given that 'starting' date above and the five month gap perhaps there will be a late March into April run prior to Tulsa.

Hmm. Warm in Australia at that time of year I hear... :shifty:

Also, someone was spreading rumours this morning on a FB group I co-moderate about them announcing an Autumnal Euro run? but there is nothing about it on official channels. I guess they saw the NA tour, read the "tour" part and assumed it was a 'world' tour and posted. Oops.

Australia according to the current rumours I have will be November 2018.

Also, someone was spreading rumours this morning on a FB group I co-moderate about them announcing an Autumnal Euro run? .

Admittedly thinking out loud here...

If I were one of U2's corporate overlords at Live Nation, I would want them working in Europe in stadiums during the summer months. Noting that this US arena leg seems to end in late June, do you think that there is any chance that they will visit the Continent for a stadium run during the July-September period?

Again, just thinking out loud. No attacks, please.

So no second leg for N.A. and EU ?Just 1 leg each,just like the I&E tour?

So no second leg for N.A. and EU ?Just 1 leg each,just like the I&E tour?

U2 listed these countries in their announcement-

UK, Ireland, Germany, France, Spain, Portugal, Denmark, Italy and Holland.

That tells me that only these countries will be getting shows in 2018. Lots of countries left out that didn't get shows in 2015 or 2017, or before. Switzerland. Austria. Finland. Norway. Poland. Czech Republic. Russia. Greece. Yugoslavia area. Hungary. Latvia (Riga was rumored awhile ago, I think when the SOE tour was still going to be in 2017). My point is that they could, in theory, do another round in both Europe and North America in 2019 if they wanted to. I don't believe they will, however. I think after 2018 the earliest we could see another tour is 2021.

Seems like Europe could use a wide scale stadium tour as kind of a cleanup measure. Take in the places like Finland, Poland, Greece, etc. I'm kinda surprised the JT Tour wasn't more widespread in Europe, considering how extensively they played the US, and how high the demand would've been in Europe. They could've done 40-50 stadiums in Europe alone.

They could spend the whole year touring stadiums in Europe.
Even in Portugal last time they sold out 2 stadium shows in 6 or 7 hours... in Portugal alone they could to even more stadium shows.:D

Start saving people......!!!!!!!! & this verified fans set up aint going too do much Viagogo etc already have tixs...

Last edited:
But I am surprised they're running through so much flyover country again when we thought JT30 was getting that out of the way so they could just focus on the main markets.

I assume by 'flyover' country you mean Tulsa, St Louis and Nashville?

My reasoning for it has to do with 'debts' if you will. St Louis had that unfortunate last minute cancellation in September (I was there. Sadly), so that was a priority. Tulsa is only 300 miles from Missouri, so I'm sure that had to with that one.

Same with ATL. Hasn't had a show since 360, and Nashville is 250 miles away.

The million dollar question: buy tickets for the listed weeknight LA show or wait until a second show (or third?) gets added and hope it's on a weekend.

LA is lucky. I think your shows were on a weekend last tour. Mine are always like a Monday or Tuesday :rolleyes:

U2 listed these countries in their announcement-

UK, Ireland, Germany, France, Spain, Portugal, Denmark, Italy and Holland.

That tells me that only these countries will be getting shows in 2018. Lots of countries left out that didn't get shows in 2015 or 2017, or before. Switzerland. Austria. Finland. Norway. Poland. Czech Republic. Russia. Greece. Yugoslavia area. Hungary. Latvia (Riga

For example your so called ''yugoslav area'' could be covered with this arena
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arena_Zagreb

it can hold up to 24k people (more than alpitur in torino)

I assume by 'flyover' country you mean Tulsa, St Louis and Nashville?

My reasoning for it has to do with 'debts' if you will. St Louis had that unfortunate last minute cancellation in September (I was there. Sadly), so that was a priority. Tulsa is only 300 miles from Missouri, so I'm sure that had to with that one.

Same with ATL. Hasn't had a show since 360, and Nashville is 250 miles away.

Yeah, St Louis was a lock after what happened, and Atlanta a given after being missed in 2015 and 2017.

But lots of people were speculating that when JT30's third leg was announced, it was because the band were getting smaller markets inland from the west and east coasts out of the way on a tour that was guaranteed to sell well on nostalgia. So yeah I definitely wasn't expecting Tulsa or Nashville - especially as they're in states U2 have historically skipped even when they've played shows nearby and adding an extra gig wouldn't have been difficult.

And I'm curious why they're doing three separate venues in NYC rather than just setting up at one.

Back
Top Bottom