eXPERIENCE + iNNOCENCE Tour 2018 - Rumors & General Discussion - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > U2 eXPERIENCE + iNNOCENCE Tour 2018 > General Tour Discussion
Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2017, 12:46 PM   #1
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 11:45 PM
eXPERIENCE + iNNOCENCE Tour 2018 - Rumors & General Discussion

General discussion about this tour here.

Old 11-02-2017, 12:58 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:45 AM
I don't mind that it will use basically the same stage setup as I+E. That was a really immersive, cutting edge set up and I'm certain they can program any number of different looks for it. Frankly it would be silly for them to completely scrap it and go with something new, especially given how connected this tour and record are to the last one.

I wonder how many of the SOI songs that were part of the I+E setlist will make this one. My guess? Zero. And I suspected Streets, and probably WOWY, are the only JT songs that will make the tour. Though something from R&H would be nice.

Old 11-02-2017, 01:04 PM   #3
Acrobat

I'm expecting less 80s and more 90s, with 3 or 4 songs from SOI.
Old 11-02-2017, 01:17 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

There's no way they'll play four songs from SOI, given that they'll probably play six from SOE. That's almost half the show on songs a good number of people in the audience will not even want to hear.

I would be stunned if they played more than one SOI song. I do agree that they'll probably play more 90's songs (vs. 80's) this time around.
Old 11-02-2017, 08:19 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I'm not complaining about the US getting more shows, but it seems like they are really saturating certain areas, and a lot of other places haven't gotten a show since 360 or before. I'm kind of surprised there's nothing in Edmonton and Winnipeg, representing a giant chunk of Canada that hasn't had a show since 2011. Both cities could easily sell out 2 arenas shows. Tulsa, St. Louis and Nashville show us that they're not above doing single nights in smaller markets, so why leave out places like Salt Lake City, Portland, Omaha, Milwaukee, etc. Meanwhile NYC will get 6 shows on this tour. They'll definitely sell them all out, but the mentality seems to be "why play a show in Portland when we'd make more money just adding another date in NYC?". Just an observation, this tour schedule seems to be a little lean and retreading the same ground they did in 2015 and 2017. With the likely addition of 2nd shows, it seems this leg will be 28-29 shows, depending on how many they add in LA.

I'm not complaining for myself. I saw 2 shows in 2015, 2 in 2017, I'm already a spoiled fan. The fact that I even have the option again in 2018 is unreal. I have gone to Chicago 3 times when there was no closer date to Ohio (2005 1st leg, 2009, 2015), but I think this year we're going to opt for Nashville. Same drive as Chicago, only on a Saturday. Nashville will probably be easier to score GA tickets, and I've never been so we'll make a weekend of it, do some sight seeing, etc. So looks like only 1 show for me this year, but I'm still excited.
Old 11-02-2017, 08:38 PM   #6
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 06:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick66 View Post
There's no way they'll play four songs from SOI, given that they'll probably play six from SOE. That's almost half the show on songs a good number of people in the audience will not even want to hear.

I would be stunned if they played more than one SOI song. I do agree that they'll probably play more 90's songs (vs. 80's) this time around.
I'm certain there will be at least a couple of SOI songs because of the thematic connection. The band have made very clear that the albums are complementary. The question is which SOI songs they would pick, as none has an immediate claim - EBW is probably the best chance, but if SOE already provides a good number of ballads then I could see it missing out. I think it will be dictated by whatever thematic arcs the band try to construct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_acrobat View Post
I'm not complaining about the US getting more shows, but it seems like they are really saturating certain areas, and a lot of other places haven't gotten a show since 360 or before. I'm kind of surprised there's nothing in Edmonton and Winnipeg, representing a giant chunk of Canada that hasn't had a show since 2011. Both cities could easily sell out 2 arenas shows. Tulsa, St. Louis and Nashville show us that they're not above doing single nights in smaller markets, so why leave out places like Salt Lake City, Portland, Omaha, Milwaukee, etc. Meanwhile NYC will get 6 shows on this tour. They'll definitely sell them all out, but the mentality seems to be "why play a show in Portland when we'd make more money just adding another date in NYC?". Just an observation, this tour schedule seems to be a little lean and retreading the same ground they did in 2015 and 2017. With the likely addition of 2nd shows, it seems this leg will be 28-29 shows, depending on how many they add in LA.
I'm not surprised Portland missed out, as the Pacific Northwest was visited in both 2015 and 2017. And not sure you can call the schedule that much of a retread when it includes a bunch of places conspicuous by their absence from 2015 and/or 2017. But I am surprised they're running through so much flyover country again when we thought JT30 was getting that out of the way so they could just focus on the main markets.

On the topic of extra shows, I'm guessing that everywhere with at least three empty days afterwards is in line for an extra gig. That would allow the band to have 2 days on followed by 2 days off, like they did in 2015. Obviously there are a couple of examples of them taking just one day off, like after Tulsa and Nashville, but those seem to be exceptions reserved for after shows in cities that only get one night.

So my pick for extra nights: San Jose, LA, Chicago, Atlanta, Montreal, Uniondale, Philly, DC, Boston, New York, Newark. LA has room for 3-4, but I think it will be just two.

There's also room for a second night in St Louis but I don't think they're willing to do five shows in seven nights (Tulsa/off/STL/STL/off/SJ/SJ).

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 10:36 PM   #7
Acrobat

Any of you guys have any educated guesses on which cities might get more shows?
Old 11-02-2017, 10:45 PM   #8
Refugee

Local Time: 02:45 AM
The million dollar question: buy tickets for the listed weeknight LA show or wait until a second show (or third?) gets added and hope it's on a weekend.
Old 11-02-2017, 10:49 PM   #9
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuma View Post
If a city got 4+ nights on i+e, I think it'll get multiple shows this go around. So that's LA, Chicago, Montreal, Boston, and New York. I think DC is big enough to support two shows, but there must have been a reason they skipped it on i+e. The question is how many; will cities like New York and LA get more than two nights considering they just had two stadium shows?

Oh, and I'm not counting Newark as the second New York show.
Old 11-02-2017, 11:05 PM   #10
Vocal parasite

Quote:
I'm not educated now?

Oh well.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 11-02-2017, 11:16 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
All cities will get extra shows except Tulsa, St. Louis and Nashville. The answer is in the gaps between dates. Not sure what the demand is like in Vegas, but I would imagine the INTENTION is to have 2 shows.
Old 11-02-2017, 11:42 PM   #12
Acrobat

Awesome, thanks guys!
Old 11-02-2017, 11:54 PM   #13
Acrobat

Pretty sure we will get 2 in Atlanta. Phillips Arena is being renovated so they are playing a smaller arena in the suburbs. Only 13,000 seats. It will sell out instantly. They haven’t been here since 360.
Old 11-03-2017, 01:10 AM   #14
The Fly

The absence of Toronto is the biggest surprise of this tour.Unless they'll put one in the 7 days gap between Atlanta and Montréal.

Actually Canada has being under play for the last 3 tour.Is it because of the canadian dollard ?
Old 11-03-2017, 04:23 AM   #15
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_acrobat View Post
All cities will get extra shows except Tulsa, St. Louis and Nashville. The answer is in the gaps between dates. Not sure what the demand is like in Vegas, but I would imagine the INTENTION is to have 2 shows.
Ah yes, I meant to include Las Vegas in my earlier list, which apparently nobody else can actually read. As far as arena tours hitting Las Vegas go, they did two on Vertigo but one on Elevation and JT (not that the latter is terribly relevant to demand today). No doubt it'll be two this time around.

And there is room for St Louis to get two if demand is insane enough and they're willing to do it.

Gig pictures | Blog