eXPERIENCE + iNNOCENCE Tour 2018 - Rumors & General Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I guess now it's become apparent why the sudden late tour changes in the setlist - the band decided recently to film the final Berlin show for home video/possible HBO broadcast and according to Williams, don't want any duplicate songs from the previous IE live release. Taken at face value, that means they still have to dump and/or switch out Vertigo, I Will Follow, Even Better Than The Real Thing, Elevation, Pride, City Of Blinding Lights, Beautiful Day and One. Basically, make the setlist what it should have been when this tour started.

Which is great ...in theory.

That would indeed explain zero SOI songs at the final Milan show I attended.

Pros : strong AB showing, IWF+Gloria (Beautiful day felt odd. Maybe a 3rd early song instead)
Pride-COBL stretch saving the second half after the lowpoint of the show --

Cons: geriatric versions of Best thing and Summer of love. After Elevation-Acrobat stretch of energy.
Closing with SFS 2.0 instead of LIBTAIIW. Really ? The opportunity to end with a epic closer that the crowd loved , waisted for a snoozefest. Didn't work on the album, doesn't work live.

Missed Streets, didn't even notice all of JT went awol until after the show.
Hoping Japan/Australia/New Zealand gets some shows this time, as well as - with recent AB increase and Macphisto - AB30 tour in 2021.

Still, great show and better than 360 in Zagreb.

So do we know if this last Berlin show was indeed filmed or not?

Also, LOL @ whoever got mad when we laughed off their suggestion that there would be zero songs that were played on i+e, per some out of context or misunderstood Willie Williams remark.

Yes, it was filmed. And apparently they had some extra cameras at a couple of the earlier European shows too.

I guess they switched it up so it wasn’t just going to be exactly the same as I&e, but i can’t see how they’re going to avoid some duplication unless they do stitch together a couple of different shows which I just can’t see them doing.

Of course who knows when we’ll see this as we’ve still not seen the JT show. But I really hope they release E&i as the overall show was simply stunning and will provide a nice companion piece to the I&e.

Yes, it was filmed. And apparently they had some extra cameras at a couple of the earlier European shows too.

I guess they switched it up so it wasn’t just going to be exactly the same as I&e, but i can’t see how they’re going to avoid some duplication unless they do stitch together a couple of different shows which I just can’t see them doing.

Of course who knows when we’ll see this as we’ve still not seen the JT show. But I really hope they release E&i as the overall show was simply stunning and will provide a nice companion piece to the I&e.

The idea of filming Berlin and not wanting the same stuff as in the Paris dvd referred to the block of Innocence songs before the break. I think the band did a great job replacing that segment over the last few weeks of the tour.
Personally I thought it a bit disappointing to get that Innocence batch of songs again.
When they start changing the set from Copenhagen 2 onwards I felt excited. I saw a total of six (okay, 5 and a quarter) shows this European leg, starting with Berlin 1 and 2. The others shows I was at were in the later stage of the tour. It was great to see them improve the new segment from Amsterdam 1+2, Belfast 1 and finally the rescheduled Berlin show.

They did a great job indeed and definitely looking forward to a possible dvd release.

The idea of filming Berlin and not wanting the same stuff as in the Paris dvd referred to the block of Innocence songs before the break. I think the band did a great job replacing that segment over the last few weeks of the tour.
Personally I thought it a bit disappointing to get that Innocence batch of songs again.
When they start changing the set from Copenhagen 2 onwards I felt excited. I saw a total of six (okay, 5 and a quarter) shows this European leg, starting with Berlin 1 and 2. The others shows I was at were in the later stage of the tour. It was great to see them improve the new segment from Amsterdam 1+2, Belfast 1 and finally the rescheduled Berlin show.

They did a great job indeed and definitely looking forward to a possible dvd release.
Totally.

While I enjoyed the 3 shows I went to - I would have been much happier if the Zoo suite they added late on the euro leg was played through out the tour.

Totally.

While I enjoyed the 3 shows I went to - I would have been much happier if the Zoo suite they added late on the euro leg was played through out the tour.

Same here.

Does anyone know why they kept the

Iris
Cedarwood
SBS
UTEOW

set?

At Vegas (went in spoiler free) I was really excited at the new opening, song order, and then that segment began. Then 2nd half began, like a new show and of coursed finished with new ending.

The SOI segment stuck out like a sore thumb.

Or maybe there were plenty of people who didn't get to see the 2015 tour because of the limited markets it went to. My daughter and I were happy they included some innocence material because the 2015 tour didn't come to Philly.

Same here.

Does anyone know why they kept the

Iris
Cedarwood
SBS
UTEOW

set?

At Vegas (went in spoiler free) I was really excited at the new opening, song order, and then that segment began. Then 2nd half began, like a new show and of coursed finished with new ending.

The SOI segment stuck out like a sore thumb.

Perhaps lack of time to change that segment played a part. Putting the European leg in perspective the idea of changing the set popped up somewhere after deciding to reschedule the Berlin show and record that one. Throughout September they'd been playing and rehearsing the new segment in parts in the production during soundchecks and It wasn't until Copenhagen II when the really traded in the Innocence segment. Dirty Day has been rehearsed in production extensively before its debut at Dublin 3. This process gives a nice view in how the band is trying to fit it into the show. Knowing how to play the song is one thing, choreographing it into the E+I production another thing..

The Innocence segment itself fitted perfectly well in the E+I production, but it being a repeat of 2015 sucked.

So if they were releasing a JT30 video before the end of the year it would have been announced by now, right? The I+E Paris show came out in the summer of 2016, about 7 months after the tour ended.

It's odd that they've had JT30 material in the can for over a year and while I understand not putting it out in the middle of the E+I tour, they're also going to pass up the opportunity for a Christmas season release? And then, what, release 2 videos next year?

Or does JT30 not get released at all? That would be really surprising.

So if they were releasing a JT30 video before the end of the year it would have been announced by now, right? The I+E Paris show came out in the summer of 2016, about 7 months after the tour ended.

It's odd that they've had JT30 material in the can for over a year and while I understand not putting it out in the middle of the E+I tour, they're also going to pass up the opportunity for a Christmas season release? And then, what, release 2 videos next year?

Or does JT30 not get released at all? That would be really surprising.
Meh - there's really no money in a proper brick and mortar release anymore. If they were smart they'd do a Netflix release and chill.

Alright, did some digging and found this info on u2songs:

We were originally told that the video would come out this fall. But more recently we have been told that we should expect the film to be ready next spring, and that there may be some further surprises! It looks like the film may debut in a limited run in theatres. Anton Corbijn recently told a German paper that the film he has been working on with U2 will be in theatre next year. His words, translated to English are, “Also, last year, I did a film about U2, which I hope will be released in cinemas in 2019. So I cannot quite leave the music.”

We have spoken to our sources, and they have confirmed that the release date for the home video is now looking to be March, and they suggested the shift back in the date was due to plans to show this in small theatre engagements prior to release.

That would seem to explain the delay. How well a U2 concert film will do in theaters in 2019 is another question. And even as a big fan, do I want to spend money on it twice, once to see it on a big screen and again to own it?

no one is going to a theater to see a U2 show. even 3D Vertigo did not do well enough to justify a DVD format production and release.

they will wait until there is a sufficient lull in U2 activity so people dont forget about them.

for specifics, look at the EU tax calendar - that will give a good idea of when to expect it.

I guess those half dozen times I went to see U23D at Imax were just in my imagination

Perhaps lack of time to change that segment played a part. Putting the European leg in perspective the idea of changing the set popped up somewhere after deciding to reschedule the Berlin show and record that one. Throughout September they'd been playing and rehearsing the new segment in parts in the production during soundchecks and It wasn't until Copenhagen II when the really traded in the Innocence segment. Dirty Day has been rehearsed in production extensively before its debut at Dublin 3. This process gives a nice view in how the band is trying to fit it into the show. Knowing how to play the song is one thing, choreographing it into the E+I production another thing..

The Innocence segment itself fitted perfectly well in the E+I production, but it being a repeat of 2015 sucked.

Recall that in Laval they were originally rehearsing a main set conclusion with Cedarwood Road and SFS leading into Wild Horses, Acrobat, and UTEOTW. But they decided against it and went back to SBS and Wolves by the time the tour began. (And then fairly quickly abbreviated it to cut SFS and Wolves.)

I guess those half dozen times I went to see U23D at Imax were just in my imagination

I saw it twice in arguably the best IMAX theater in SoCal and both showings there was maybe a dozen other people in the theater. I do think they still should have released a 3D Blu-ray during that formats brief heyday as it was one of the best looking 3D experiences I’ve ever seen.

the imax theatre 5 minutes from my house showed u2 3d a bunch of times over the long weekend in october and every single showing was sold out in advance.

I saw U2 3D in Dayton for the 2nd time a week after it was released. I expected my wife and I to be the only ones in the theater, but it was actually pretty crowded. Shocked the hell out of me!

Not sure if this is the best place to ask this, but has their been any more info about the band doing some type of a tour in Australia at the end of 2019?

If it happens I guess it would be unlikely to be a continuation of the Experience And Innocence Tour.

U2songs reported today that the tour is still in the planning stages, but apparently the first Australian date will be in early/mid-November.

More on the rumored Aussie tour later this year: https://www.u2songs.com/news/the_crystal_ball_looking_ahead_at_2019
- A rumoured show for New Zealand is being reported to us as happening on November 8, 2019. It is not known if this is the start of the tour or if there will be earlier dates before that. Until such time that these are officially announced, this should be considered a rumour only, and should not be used to book travel or accommodation.

- At least four cities in Australia are on the currently being developed itinerary, we are told that there is room to add additional cities at the end of the current plans. It is not known if this may include an additional city in Australia or possibly stops in Asia.

- Each city should receive two shows, but expect that when announced, only the first show will be sold, with the second being added after initial sales.

- The stage for The Joshua Tree 2017 is reportedly in the region in storage now, and may be used for this tour, but this tour will not be branded the same, and modifications to the stage are being designed.

- There are no rumours that this tour will continue on beyond December 2019.

- Other sources beyond our initial sources that we mentioned in yesterday’s article, have now also shared with us that this tour is being planned.

An Australia / NZ only tour? Weird. Would surely have to be Asian dates too.

I doubt they’d sell out two stadium shows in each city. Seems optimistic to me. 2010 was a long time ago and they have slipped from peoples consciousness. Then again, if they play the JT / LT nostalgia card then that might spark some extra interest.

Last edited:
U2songs reporting that Singapore might be on the list. FFS, hope I have a work trip that coincides with that show.

Looks like it'll be the usual Auckland, Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne, and Adelaide and/or Perth.

Gonna keep wishing for the band to go elsewhere though. Come oonnnn Wellington or Dunedin.

Back
Top Bottom