eXPERIENCE + iNNOCENCE Tour 2018 - Rumors & General Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Last night, prior to Spanish Eyes;

Bono: we haven’t played this in a very long time.

They played it less than a year ago in Mexico. It seems to be a song that’s fairly easy for them to pull out of their ass, requires nothing in the way of stage production, etc. Of course, I’d think that was the case for most of their 80’s songs. It’s be so easy for them to just play “A day without me” and just have the screen be live feed of the band, and the lights could be very basic. They need one spot in the set like this.

My favorite quote from the article, courtesy of Edge:
“He has a very ambivalent attitude to his physical self. He doesn’t naturally take responsibility for his physical wellbeing."

YOU DON'T SAY?!?!

It made me a little sad. They are clearly falling apart physically, which may explain at least a little bit of the static setlists.

Fucking Larry.

Last edited:
A few months ago, didn’t we hear that they were having fun and could go another 10 years?

This article suggest otherwise.

This article seems intent on driving home the point that U2 are old and that the end is near.

Personally, I think it just sounds like a band that is looking forward to a break. Also, men in their late 50’s who can’t do what they used to do as easily as in their 20’s and 30’s. No shit. They are still performing like a band at the top of their game, it’s just harder on their bodies.

My expectation is that they’ll take off 2019 and then be back in 2021-22. At least one more album/tour cycle. The end is nearing, but I think this article is being a bit dramatic and hammering on that point in order to attract readers.

If the most reluctant member of the band “assumes there’ll be another album”, then there will probably be another album.

I personally don’t mind if they don’t do another album, to me it felt like anything that was left unsaid was heard on Songs of Experience.

However, I’m hoping for 1 more tour after this one, but after they take that much-desired lengthy break.

I hope they can make it. That interview was a bit depressing, but let’s face it - they’re not getting younger.

If the most reluctant member of the band “assumes there’ll be another album”, then there will probably be another album.
In the same sentence he also said he's not sure if anyone wants/needs a new U2 album or tour. So there's also that.

Ultimately I think the deciding factor won't be want or need; it'll be health, or lack thereof.

This interview was done before the 'suppose 10 year extension w/ Live Nation'?

In some aspects SOE felt like U2's last attempt towards commercial appeal. Rock N Roll is pretty much dead at the moment. Especially the Rock N Roll album. No telling if it will come back.

And based on the setlist of SOE, U2 were at peace with that. Were gonna play what we want to play. And maybe that will carry on to the next album. They can talk that up for the next theme in some sense. Instead of looking back were looking forward. And just make music.

The end is getting near. But I still think they have 2 more tours in them. The $ is there and that is hard to let go. And these guys seem very close with each other and they probably enjoy the road together. I still think they want to do one more mega stadium show to secure their touring legacy. They really are the last rock band that could do it.

This article seems intent on driving home the point that U2 are old and that the end is near.

Personally, I think it just sounds like a band that is looking forward to a break. Also, men in their late 50’s who can’t do what they used to do as easily as in their 20’s and 30’s. No shit. They are still performing like a band at the top of their game, it’s just harder on their bodies.

My expectation is that they’ll take off 2019 and then be back in 2021-22. At least one more album/tour cycle. The end is nearing, but I think this article is being a bit dramatic and hammering on that point in order to attract readers.

I agree with all of this.

That article was written during the Boston and NYC shows back in June. Who knows if they already signed off on the renewal of the LN contract at that point, but I’m sure they were aware of it.

I don’t foresee them being like Paul McCartney or The Rolling Stones and touring into their mid 70’s. Also, just because they signed another 10 year deal with LN doesn’t mean they’ll still be touring heavily in 2028. But its pretty likely they’ll continue through their mid 60’s anyway.

Perhaps they’ll do like the Stones do, play about 15-20 shows per year. Do Europe one year, North America the next, South America after that, maybe even throw in Australia/Asia if hell freezes over! It doesn’t need to be as grueling as a yearlong tour.

People read way too much into the 10 year deal with LiveNation in regards to their touring future.

LiveNation owns Principle Management now. They control every aspect of the band's business, not just touring.

Yeah, I was gonna say... Guy Oseary is basically a Live Nation employee. Band could also have put an escape clause in there somewhere in recognition of the advancing years. That is, IF they have re-signed, which we actually really don't know.

Good god people. Really making 50s sound like they’re the new 70s.

They’re old and their bodies are not that of young people, but they’re not *that* old.

Good god people. Really making 50s sound like they’re the new 70s.

They’re old and their bodies are not that of young people, but they’re not *that* old.
It's not age as in oh my god they're fucking old.

It's age as in Bono has treated his body like shit for decades and is now paying the consequences.

Jagger, McCartney, Springsteen... they all have taken incredible care if themselves. Bono stays out till 5 am drinking and then throws himself from a moving bicycle.

Edge and Adam (ironically) could probably go on for another 20 years.

Bono and Larry, not so much.

you could argue it's the band (they approved the article and its release timing, and it's their quotes after all) who are the ones wanting to attract the eyeballs. Nothing this band does is without commercial/promotional intentions.

that's my read of it.

Back in May, someone tweeted at Neil McCormick and asked if he felt U2 had more tours in them after this one. He responded, "There is no chance of U2 quitting in my opinion. They're all really enjoying it."

It's not age as in oh my god they're fucking old.

It's age as in Bono has treated his body like shit for decades and is now paying the consequences.

Jagger, McCartney, Springsteen... they all have taken incredible care if themselves. Bono stays out till 5 am drinking and then throws himself from a moving bicycle.

Edge and Adam (ironically) could probably go on for another 20 years.

Bono and Larry, not so much.

Mick Fucking Jagger treating his body well my ass. That dude has intoxicated his body so much over his life that he might as well be a Kidney Stone instead.

I get it. Bono won’t be running around stage for decades to come. But I mean, for the greater past half decade, well actually, ever since he bicycling accident, he’s *already* been stiff on stage. Sure, he might have early onset Roger Daltry Syndrome. Maybe 70 isn’t realistic for him to perform at. But he’ll be fine I’m sure.

Larry... drummers are a special breed. They take the biggest toll, physically. It’s always been truly hard to understand just how bad his body feels, given that he’s always been an ageless wonder in appearance.

Back
Top Bottom