eXPERIENCE + iNNOCENCE Tour 2018 - Rumors & General Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
you're right. DC is not a political town first and foremost, full of lobbyists, government contract beggars and other nafarious creatures. it's really more like Paris, Milan, Barcelona or even New York. Full of artists and such.

Right. Those are the only two options. You’re really smart and perceptive.

Man, we go down some really strange rabbit holes! Do you all think in ten years we'll all still be on this board bitching about set lists, Bono's diet, Bono's Hair, Bono's Lyrics, Bono's Speeches, the "constipated Larry look and each other?

Right. Those are the only two options. You’re really smart and perceptive.

I don't pretend to be either, but thanks. to remind you, my original statement was pretty simple: "Washington DC is not a cultural center of the USA. It is an adminstrative/ bureaucratic center, and an inefficient/ineffective/wasteful/borderline corrupt one, at that. "

You can argue as to the extent of Wash DC's inefficiency and waste. but to try to argue that it is an important cultural center is ludicrous.

But go ahead and keep trying.

eXPERIENCE + iNNOCENCE Tour 2018 - Rumors & General Discussion

Right. You’re doing great here. It’s evident you know exactly what you’re talking about and are intimately acquainted with the city and aren’t relying on lazy stereotypes and a few images gleaned from superficial visits where you look to confirm your suspicions.

You might be surprised to know that DC is the third biggest television market in the country, with a speciality in documentaries. Or that any given week there are several Hollywood productions (the big one right now is Wonder Woman 2) being filmed at any given moment. It’s also one of the best foodie destinations in the country with several restaurants awarded Michelin stars. There’s also a vibrant African-American community, has been since the Civil War, and it was once known as the Chocolate City due to its highly visible and successful black community — U Street was the Harlem of DC, with numerous jazz clubs featuring Ella Fitzgerald and Duke Ellington any night of the week. I’m sure you’ve never been to a Go-Go. Dunbar High School was once the preeminent black high school in the United States, and a walk through its hallways reveals its illustrious alumni. There’s also Georgetown University, George Washington U, Howard U, American U, and Catholic U (in an area known as the Little Vatican). There’s also, you know, the Smithsonian — the largest museum system in the world and the Air and Space Museum, the most visited Museum in the world. It’s also a highly educated city, especially if you include the immediate suburbs, and home to some of the best public high schools in the US.

Go ahead and keep saying what your saying. Cities with large black populations and histories tend to get written off by people like you.

Last edited:
You're still missing the point. I did not say DC has no culture. I am way more familiar with the city than you realize, but that's ok. What I said was that it is not a cultural center. There's a difference.

It's unfortunate that you choose to write off my comment by implying that I am a racist. But I shouldn't be surprised, given the swamp that Interference too often resembles.

You're still missing the point. I did not say DC has no culture. I am way more familiar with the city than you realize, but that's ok. What I said was that it is not a cultural center. There's a difference.

It's unfortunate that you choose to write off my comment by implying that I am a racist. But I shouldn't be surprised, given the swamp that Interference too often resembles.

We all agree that DC isn’t NYC or Paris. But you haven’t said just that — you’ve denigrated it in preposterous ways that have nothing to do with the city and more to do with frustrations towards the government. It isn’t just lobbyists and lawyers, or even predominantly lobbiests and lawyers. And if you think so then, yes, it’s likely that you are unaware of and not exposed to the city’s rich black history, and the people who actually live and work in the city, who are of many backgrounds and income levels.

We all agree that DC isn’t NYC or Paris. But you haven’t said just that — you’ve denigrated it in preposterous ways that have nothing to do with the city and more to do with frustrations towards the government. It isn’t just lobbyists and lawyers, or even predominantly lobbiests and lawyers. And if you think so then, yes, it’s likely that you are unaware of and not exposed to the city’s rich black history, and the people who actually live and work in the city, who are of many backgrounds and income levels.

I am well aware of the city's black culture and history. Am I an expert on it? No.

But that line of argument has nothing to do with my initial and follow up comments that the city simply does not merit status as a cultural center of the United States. So I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

Turning this into a debate as to how much or little I appreciate black culture is absurd.

I don't pretend to be either, but thanks. to remind you, my original statement was pretty simple: "Washington DC is not a cultural center of the USA. It is an adminstrative/ bureaucratic center, and an inefficient/ineffective/wasteful/borderline corrupt one, at that. "

You can argue as to the extent of Wash DC's inefficiency and waste. but to try to argue that it is an important cultural center is ludicrous.

But go ahead and keep trying.

I’m curious about two things:

1. How do you define “cultural centre”, and why are whatever arbitrary parameters you can nominate important to a U2 filming location, and

2. Why do you believe that political issues (waste, inefficiency, corruption) impact on culture?

Dan - I dont have a strict set of definitions. My comment is based on the fact that DC is not considered to be among the American cultural centers. For those, look to places such as New Orleans, New York, Seattle, Boston, San Francisco, LA, Detroit, Miami, Kansas City - amongst many others and for all different reasons (music, coffeee, food, fashion etc). These are places where unique cultural norms have not simply emerged but have been exported to other cities around the country and indeed the globe. And of course, more numerous examples exist outside the US, in Europe and Asia in particular but not limited there of course.

Unless one is residing in DC and enjoying its diverse cutural experiences (yes I know it has them - this is the distinction), one simply does not think of it as a cultural center. DC has not established anything in the way of cultural benchmarks or stylistic trends. It has exported nothing of substantial cultrural renown.

Now of course this is my opinion and if one wants to tell me I am thinking incorrectly about it - OK. But no one has done that yet even remotely convincingly.

I dont understand your second question.

Dan - I dont have a strict set of definitions. My comment is based on the fact that DC is not considered to be among the American cultural centers. For those, look to places such as New Orleans, New York, Seattle, Boston, San Francisco, LA, Detroit, Miami, Kansas City - amongst many others and for all different reasons (music, coffeee, food, fashion etc). These are places where unique cultural norms have not simply emerged but have been exported to other cities around the country and indeed the globe. And of course, more numerous examples exist outside the US, in Europe and Asia in particular but not limited there of course.

Unless one is residing in DC and enjoying its diverse cutural experiences (yes I know it has them - this is the distinction), one simply does not think of it as a cultural center. DC has not established anything in the way of cultural benchmarks or stylistic trends. It has exported nothing of substantial cultrural renown.

Now of course this is my opinion and if one wants to tell me I am thinking incorrectly about it - OK. But no one has done that yet even remotely convincingly.

I dont understand your second question.

You can’t define what a cultural centre is, yet can claim it isn’t one definitively. Interesting.

Not sure why you don’t understand the second one. Read your quote again. “It isn’t a cultural centre, it is a....” That infers you think that one affects the other. They don’t. Politics and culture can be the same thing, or totally different.

Arguing that DC isn't a cultural center is absurd even by Interference standards. It has museums, galleries, teams in all four major sports leagues, is visited by touring bands, has had at least one important and influential local scene, is a tourist destination, and is home to millions of people. It's not even a regional cultural centre. By any definition it's a centre of culture. It's not like it's Rochester or something.

Arguing that DC isn't a cultural center is absurd even by Interference standards. It has museums, galleries, teams in all four major sports leagues, is visited by touring bands, has had at least one important and influential local scene, is a tourist destination, and is home to millions of people. It's not even a regional cultural centre. By any definition it's a centre of culture. It's not like it's Rochester or something.

The Smithsonian alone is a pretty big deal, no?

yet another complete miss. reread (misread) my comments. or don't.

at end of day you are still the dude who compared U2 to The Back Street Boys, so impossible to take you seriously.

You can’t define what a cultural centre is, yet can claim it isn’t one definitively. Interesting.

Not sure why you don’t understand the second one. Read your quote again. “It isn’t a cultural centre, it is a....” That infers you think that one affects the other. They don’t. Politics and culture can be the same thing, or totally different.

I have described in detail what I believe a cultral center is. Do I need to write it in an Australian accent?

your second question still makes no sense and/or simply betrays a lack of comprehension of my comments thus far. feel free to try again.

yet another complete miss. reread (misread) my comments. or don't.

at end of day you are still the dude who compared U2 to The Back Street Boys, so impossible to take you seriously.

People tend not to hold grudges or bookmarks over silly things like that. Digging up something he said whenever... doesn’t change the fact that nobody agrees with what you’ve said. And yes, we all read it.

All right is two words.

HEADACHE'S BACK ALL RIGHT!

official lyrics...

Everybody, rock your body
Everybody, rock your body right
Backstreet's back, alright, hey baby
Oh my God, we're back again
Brothers, sisters, everybody sing
Gonna bring you the flavor show you how
Got a gotta question for you better answer now, yeah
Am I original?
(Yeah)