eXPERIENCE + iNNOCENCE Tour 2018 - Rumors & General Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Can't wait to ride the monorail to those shows in Ogdenville, Brockway, and North Haverbrook. It's just outrageous U2 have not played any of them before.

We played "Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses" as well. That was fun for us. Having never played it live it was, like, a bit of a project to go back and figure out how it worked. Luckily, as with most of my guitar parts, once you figure it out you realize it's kind of simple. [Laughs] So that was a nice realization. We tried that in rehearsal and everyone was like, "This is going to work. This sounds great."

ahem...

We played "Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses" as well. That was fun for us. Having never played it live it was, like, a bit of a project to go back and figure out how it worked. Luckily, as with most of my guitar parts, once you figure it out you realize it's kind of simple. [Laughs] So that was a nice realization. We tried that in rehearsal and everyone was like, "This is going to work. This sounds great."

ahem...

He's talking about Acrobat, not Horses.

Well then the the phrasing in the article is bad.

Transcribing interviews can be a pain in some respects, since it doesn't always catch the nuances of every conversation. But I thought it was obvious that Edge was talking about Acrobat here, but a lot of the time when I was a journalist, I would just put something in parentheses to make it clear what we were talking about.

We played "Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses" as well. That was fun for us. Having never played (Acrobat) live it was, like, a bit of a project to go back and figure out how it worked.

Having seen my first show of the tour, I can safely say that the show is rock solid. I even liked the encore! I would however make 2 changes:

Drop get out of your own way and play raised by wolves where it belongs. I like get out of your own way but live it is a momentum kill. Raised by wolves is needed as the transition from SBS to until the End of the World doesn’t work nearly as smoothly.

Secondly, drop the digital macphisto and just put bono in make up. Love the return of macphisto and that segment is a highlight but that digital effect keeps cutting out and it looks so hokey.

Make these changes please.

Rant over.

Having seen my first show of the tour, I can safely say that the show is rock solid. I even liked the encore! I would however make 2 changes:

Drop get out of your own way and play raised by wolves where it belongs. I like get out of your own way but live it is a momentum kill. Raised by wolves is needed as the transition from SBS to until the End of the World doesn’t work nearly as smoothly.

Secondly, drop the digital macphisto and just put bono in make up. Love the return of macphisto and that segment is a highlight but that digital effect keeps cutting out and it looks so hokey.

Make these changes please.

Rant over.

Those were my two main problems too! That and SBS having no teeth.

So now having seen two concerts (St. Louis, Uniondale), here are some more thoughts:

Opening is pretty rock-solid. The Blackout is awesome live and Lights of Home has been one of my favorites on the new album, so it's a nice opening trio between that and Love is All We Have Left. The AR is stupid. I didn't bother with it on Long Island, but did give it a whirl in STL.

I Will Follow is always good live, but that can be a rotational song for sure. They should be rotating that in and out to make it more of a treat. Unlike i/e, it's not directly linked to Iris, so there's no need for it to be a staple for this story they are trying to tell.

The Ocean is a much better segue into Iris than a Bono story. It's still sort of a Bono story, but at least it's to a musical backdrop. This is much improved.

The Innocence section doesn't bother me. If they're going to do it though, do it all the way and include Raised by Wolves. It's an excellent live song.

Elevation-Vertigo-Desire always looks like on paper. It's very good live. With that said, I think only Vertigo of the three needs to be a staple. When Bono talked about Staring at the Sun and the album Pop, he got a very, very loud reaction when he said "Pop" in NY. Pretty easy to rotate the song they open the encore with. If they want to do Elevation some nights with the influx mix, fine, i get it. But why not also do Pop Muzik - > Discotheque into Vertigo? That would be pretty awesome. In 2005, they rehearsed Vertigo into Discotheque a lot in Toronto, before putting it into the encore for two appearances.

Desire is fine. At least it's a good version, but doesn't need to be played every night.

Acrobat rules, we all know that. I'm somebody who actually really likes Best Thing, but much like Every Breaking Wave (though not to the extent), it's a bit of a let down the way they play it. They have this great pop tune and they commissioned Kygo to make a mix of it and even played (mimed) it with Kygo last fall. Why not play a remix ala Crazy Tonight or something if they're bothered with the album version?

Staring at the Sun is a welcome addition. Pride is whatever at this point. Crowd loves it. Get Out of Your Own Way is fine. Not my favorite on the album, but it doesn't destroy the concert. American Soul was excellent both nights live, and was actually a highlight last weekend. It's definitely on the bottom half of songs I'd like to see from the new album, but they really did a good job with it.

Encore is... not as bad as it's made out to be, but not as good as it should be. Adding a song off their best album could do wonders. Or Wild Horses. Or any [insert awesome U2 song here] right before or after One. I'm fine with 13 closing. I get what they're trying to do, even if I don't think they have to tell this story, it's a fitting way for the show to end.

But there definitely is a missed opportunity in the encore.

Also...Bono's been going on about defiant joy or something. I/E felt much more joyful than E/I. The e-stage section on I/E was always a bit of a blast and felt sort of as close to "party U2" as we'll get. The E/I section there is pretty dark feeling, but it doesn't have to be that way. Should rotate the songs there more.

tl;dr: I enjoyed both shows a lot, they should rotate on the b-stage; add a classic to the encore.

Popacrobat, totally agree 100% :up:

So now having seen two concerts (St. Louis, Uniondale), here are some more thoughts:

Opening is pretty rock-solid. The Blackout is awesome live and Lights of Home has been one of my favorites on the new album, so it's a nice opening trio between that and Love is All We Have Left. The AR is stupid. I didn't bother with it on Long Island, but did give it a whirl in STL.

I Will Follow is always good live, but that can be a rotational song for sure. They should be rotating that in and out to make it more of a treat. Unlike i/e, it's not directly linked to Iris, so there's no need for it to be a staple for this story they are trying to tell.

The Ocean is a much better segue into Iris than a Bono story. It's still sort of a Bono story, but at least it's to a musical backdrop. This is much improved.

The Innocence section doesn't bother me. If they're going to do it though, do it all the way and include Raised by Wolves. It's an excellent live song.

Elevation-Vertigo-Desire always looks like on paper. It's very good live. With that said, I think only Vertigo of the three needs to be a staple. When Bono talked about Staring at the Sun and the album Pop, he got a very, very loud reaction when he said "Pop" in NY. Pretty easy to rotate the song they open the encore with. If they want to do Elevation some nights with the influx mix, fine, i get it. But why not also do Pop Muzik - > Discotheque into Vertigo? That would be pretty awesome. In 2005, they rehearsed Vertigo into Discotheque a lot in Toronto, before putting it into the encore for two appearances.

Desire is fine. At least it's a good version, but doesn't need to be played every night.

Acrobat rules, we all know that. I'm somebody who actually really likes Best Thing, but much like Every Breaking Wave (though not to the extent), it's a bit of a let down the way they play it. They have this great pop tune and they commissioned Kygo to make a mix of it and even played (mimed) it with Kygo last fall. Why not play a remix ala Crazy Tonight or something if they're bothered with the album version?

Staring at the Sun is a welcome addition. Pride is whatever at this point. Crowd loves it. Get Out of Your Own Way is fine. Not my favorite on the album, but it doesn't destroy the concert. American Soul was excellent both nights live, and was actually a highlight last weekend. It's definitely on the bottom half of songs I'd like to see from the new album, but they really did a good job with it.

Encore is... not as bad as it's made out to be, but not as good as it should be. Adding a song off their best album could do wonders. Or Wild Horses. Or any [insert awesome U2 song here] right before or after One. I'm fine with 13 closing. I get what they're trying to do, even if I don't think they have to tell this story, it's a fitting way for the show to end.

But there definitely is a missed opportunity in the encore.

Also...Bono's been going on about defiant joy or something. I/E felt much more joyful than E/I. The e-stage section on I/E was always a bit of a blast and felt sort of as close to "party U2" as we'll get. The E/I section there is pretty dark feeling, but it doesn't have to be that way. Should rotate the songs there more.

tl;dr: I enjoyed both shows a lot, they should rotate on the b-stage; add a classic to the encore.

probably true in terms of the US leg, but I expect MSG 3 to have the possibility to deviate* a bit. That'll be the fourth show in seven days in the NYC area.

CT, probably Party Girl added on somewhere.

*-rotate a second song or add another song. radical.

probably true in terms of the US leg, but I expect MSG 3 to have the possibility to deviate* a bit. That'll be the fourth show in seven days in the NYC area.

That's true. I could see them dragging the orchestra they used at the Apollo out to one of the MSG shows as well, as there's nothing U2 like more than repeating gimmicks (not that that band is a gimmick, alas the point remains)

Or it'll just be Gloria - Red Flag Day - All Because of You

Went to both Philly shows. I'm happy. It's a good show. I got to see Gloria and Acrobat. You know what really made a difference? The crowd. Night 1 was rather lame for participation. The band knew it. Night 2 was sooo much better. The band could feel it. Longer outros more smiles from the band. More animation and fist pumping from Bono. Amazing what the energy of the crowd can provide.

eXPERIENCE + iNNOCENCE Tour 2018 - Rumors & General Discussion

My small town has a U2 tribute band playing in our local park this evening. They’re called “ONE: a U2 Celebation”. They seem to have “the look” and everything. I will report back tonight if their setlist is any better than U2’s!

ETA: I really hope my small town turns out for this. Most people around here only seem to like Country. Hope we don’t have to curtain off the empty sections of the park!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom