eXPERIENCE + iNNOCENCE Tour 2018 - Rumors & General Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
eXPERIENCE + iNNOCENCE Tour 2018 - Rumors & General Discussion

I can’t remember, did Adam have a microphone in front of him on the zoo tv Sydney show? I don’t remember there being one, and I watched that show hundreds of times as a teenager. Sometime we need to make a list of all the songs we’ve seen Adam and Larry sing backup on. Larry had a swing away microphone stand in Chicago the other night, and I know he sang on at least GOOYOW and AS.

The latest time I can remember Adam singing backing vocals was that 92 Stockholm zoo tv show you spoke of.

I don't think he did in Sydney. Just had a quick look at a video of Zoo Station and I could only see Bono and Edge's stands and Larry looked like he had a headset mic.

So perhaps it was the shift from arenas to stadiums when Adam lost his mic?

Nashville was amazing last night. Great to finally see Gloria and Acrobat live! The only downside was the people around me sat down during “Cedarwood”. A girl behind me started throwing popcorn at me. I looked back and she told me to sit own. Needless to say I stayed standing.

Here's the list, since I'm A: An obsessive list maker, and B: Bored

Larry Backing Vocals:
I will follow
Gloria
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Two hearts beat as one
Surrender
A Sort of Homecoming (2017)
ISHFWILF
Red Hill Mining Town
Spanish Eyes
Angel of Harlem (MSG 2015, while Questlove played drums)
Zoo Station
Numb
Daddy's Gonna Pay... (Sunday, Monday, etc...)
Dirty Day (Those Days etc...)
Elevation (Vertigo Tour)
Miracle Drug
Love and Peace or else
Moment of Surrender
Unknown Caller
Get on your boots
The Miracle
Volcano
Get out of your own way
American Soul

Adam Backing Vocals
I will follow
Twilight
Out of Control
11:00 Tick Tock
Gloria
Tomorrow (96 version)
A Celebration
2 hearts beat as one
Surrender
Endless Deep (B-side)
Boomerang (both versions)
ISHFWILF
WOWY
BTBS
TTYW
When Love Comes to Town (Zoo TV, Bono would hold the mic to Adam and we would sing the title line)
Your Blue Room

That's all I can think of. Anybody have any others? Also, I can imagine that if "The Refugee" were ever attempted, Adam, Larry or both would've helped on the "WHOA! WHOOOOAAAA!!!" chants.

Apart from those where you've specified tours/performances, is that studio? Or a mix of studio and live?

Apart from those where you've specified tours/performances, is that studio? Or a mix of studio and live?

Mostly live, just based on random youtube videos I've watched. Obviously things like Boomerang, Endless Deep and Your Blue Room Adam didn't sing live on, but the rest I think are what I've observed live. It'd take me a minute to find exact sources for some. I think in the early days Adam would just randomly sing along if he felt like it. Wether his mic was turned on or not remains unknown.

I'm not a crazy person, either. HAHA. I'm a guitarist who has played in bands since the late 90's when I was in High School, and I've just always looked for things like that. I'm very interested in the logistics of concert performances. What kind of gear they use, monitor/speaker placement, and even microphone placements. It's just how my mind has seen things since I became interested in performing bands.

Apparently no Australian leg happening, according to someone that spoke to the Australian promoter in California. For the record, he wasn't happy about it either. Reason is costs are too high. This will not go down well, and rightfully so. Shafted for the third tour in a row.

Apparently no Australian leg happening, according to someone that spoke to the Australian promoter in California. For the record, he wasn't happy about it either. Reason is costs are too high. This will not go down well, and rightfully so. Shafted for the third tour in a row.

Fuck this band.

"Costs are too high"?

Oh cry me a fucking river band with the most impressive gross on the planet.

So many other bands are touring down here, but U2? A band who will rake in dosh without having to bat an eyelid? Who could announce stadium gigs in every capital city and sell them out within a day?

It's too much for THEM?

Fucking hell. We don't need the fancy presentation. We don't need a barricage or some cutesy house for Bono to remove a lightbulb from at the end of the show. We just want to see the damn band. If they're playing on a massive pile of cinder blocks at one end of a field with a big arse banner behind them and a TV halfway for the folks up the back, whatever.

You know a band and its management have lost their marbles when they decide they can't tour somewhere because of production costs when people just want to see the goddamn band and if they can bring a fancy setup that's lovely but WE LOVE YOU FOR THE SONGS. If it's between seeing the band with a generic set-up or not seeing the band at all because the expensive stage costs too much, that takes less than a second's thought to choose.

:sigh:

I was just about to write something like that Ax, lucky I refreshed as you saved me the trouble. If U2 think most people going to their shows wouldn't do so without all the accompanying technology (as nice as it is when used right), they have no idea.

I can’t remember, did Adam have a microphone in front of him on the zoo tv Sydney show?

Well the microphone certainly didn't have an Adam one night. :dance:

Fucking hell...

I've zero knowledge about the logistics of touring, so someone fill me in on what leads them to skip a whole chunk of the world 3 tours running? Either way, incredibly disappointing.

Last edited:
"Costs are too high"?

So many other bands are touring down here, but U2? A band who will rake in dosh without having to bat an eyelid? Who could announce stadium gigs in every capital city and sell them out within a day?

It's too much for THEM?

Fucking hell. We don't need the fancy presentation. We don't need a barricage or some cutesy house for Bono to remove a lightbulb from at the end of the show. We just want to see the damn band. If they're playing on a massive pile of cinder blocks at one end of a field with a big arse banner behind them and a TV halfway for the folks up the back, whatever.

You know a band and its management have lost their marbles when they decide they can't tour somewhere because of production costs when people just want to see the goddamn band and if they can bring a fancy setup that's lovely but WE LOVE YOU FOR THE SONGS. If it's between seeing the band with a generic set-up or not seeing the band at all because the expensive stage costs too much, that takes less than a second's thought to choose.

Your going to have to come here to fight.

"Costs are too high"?

It's too much for THEM?

Perhaps if you offered them a case of Foster's.

It’d be great if Australia and Asia could get the arena show. Unfortunately, arena shows just don’t generate enough money to justify the cost to take the production there. That’s why they need to adapt this show for stadiums. They could even use the basic stage of the JT Tour, obviously without all the JT themed decorations. That screen was impressive. They employ the best people in the business... they can figure it out.

A typical arena show (at these crazy prices) generates $2 million, whereas on the JT Tour they averaged roughly $6 million per show. Adam basically said they’d have to play in stadiums to go to Australia... so do it!

I blame Guy O for that. Madonna’s recent arena tour in Australia bombed. He’s probably scared of that happening again.

Oh come on. It's been 8 years. They would be drowning in money down under.

Way back when they were reportedly considering stadiums for the Experience segment -before JT30 - I floated the idea of the same. You get a fabric stretched lengthwise across the center of the stadium and project onto it, with the staging itself set up as a screen similar to what they've ended up doing with the e stage this time. No direct graphic interaction but most of the visuals would translate fine.

Way back when they were reportedly considering stadiums for the Experience segment -before JT30 - I floated the idea of the same. You get a fabric stretched lengthwise across the center of the stadium and project onto it, with the staging itself set up as a screen similar to what they've ended up doing with the e stage this time. No direct graphic interaction but most of the visuals would translate fine.
Let's be honest, only Cedarwood Road would look strange without the direct interaction.

And you could have the sidewalk showing on the stage surface screen to link it a bit with the overhead graphics.

Back
Top Bottom