European Set Changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rennowba

Rock n' Roll Doggie
With the American leg ending tonight and the European leg starting at the end of August will it be an exact copy of the show now or will it change?

I’m going for everything will stay apart from American soul and get out of your own way. They will both be dropped for summer of love and red flag day. Everything else will be exactly the same

That’s my guess anyway

All Because of You replaced by Crumbs From Your Table

American Soul replaced by Every Breaking Wave

That's it

SOL and RFD are very topical for Europe. Possibly in place of the Pride > GOOYOW > AS run which was very American specific

Setlist watchers will have fun with the EU leg because unlike the current one it has a few 4 night runs (Paris, Milan and Dublin) where they will open up their extensive back catalogue and delve...

.....nah... in reality that's ABOY, Gloria, ABOY, Gloria....

Yeah. Close the thread.

Red Flag Day and Summer Of Love come after Acrobat, with SATS being retired. Rest of the set is exactly the same, with the possible exception of Wild Horses rejoining the encore at some shows

I understand why people think they wouldn't play American Soul in Europe.

But... come on people.

They'll get rid of the giant flag, but they're not dropping a single.

Right.

I think the imagery on the screen changes during certain songs, and of course Stars & Stripes goes away, but the setlist stays basically the same.

I understand why people think they wouldn't play American Soul in Europe.

But... come on people.

They'll get rid of the giant flag, but they're not dropping a single.

Bono: We spent alot of time in the US, were fans of the people and the idea. America is an idea. We can learn alot from them as they can learn alot from us. Especially those in charge (CHEERS!!!). Were all American Soul!! (Intro begins).

I expect this to be like ie where the top two thirds go untouched.

I only see two changes happening, all in recentering the political part of the show towards Europe. I think the order gets reshuffled depending on what replaces AS. If it’s a slower song maybe Pride closes things out, if not then COBL stays. I don’t think RFD will get refashioned as a political song because it really doesn’t work in that context. Much better up at the start of the show as a high energy rocker. Hope they bring it back there!

American Soul gets replaced by something. Depends on what political statement they want to make about Europe. Get Out stays in because it was the second single and isn’t as US focused as AS (although it has several America-centric lyrics). I’m confident AS goes because spending the political part of the show talking about the US seems dumb. Europe has plenty of problems.

Maybe SATS is replaced by something else since the Charlottesville imagery is so US centric. Summer of Love with refugee imagery. Or they keep SATS, which wouldn’t bug me because it’s a gorgeous song.

Since they kept Ultraviolet in the European leg of JT, I don’t think they’ll change the encore.

Last edited:
They're rewriting Exit as Brexit to replace American Soul; rest will remain in place.

Staring At The Sun stays, but they just use images of Syria instead.

I really don't know what they do with American Soul. It's a key part of the "show," like it or not. It also has more punch than Red Flag Day (even though Red Flag Day is a better song).

Go back to the original, superior Glastonbury. Giant patchwork of all the European flags comes up. Now is that a pocketful of sunshine or are you just happy to see me?

I expect this to be like ie where the top two thirds go untouched.

I only see two changes happening, all in recentering the political part of the show towards Europe. I think the order gets reshuffled depending on what replaces AS. If it’s a slower song maybe Pride closes things out, if not then COBL stays. I don’t think RFD will get refashioned as a political song because it really doesn’t work in that context. Much better up at the start of the show as a high energy rocker. Hope they bring it back there!

American Soul gets replaced by something. Depends on what political statement they want to make about Europe. Get Out stays in because it was the second single and isn’t as US focused as AS (although it has several America-centric lyrics). I’m confident AS goes because spending the political part of the show talking about the US seems dumb. Europe has plenty of problems.

Maybe SATS is replaced by something else since the Charlottesville imagery is so US centric. Summer of Love with refugee imagery. Or they keep SATS, which wouldn’t bug me because it’s a gorgeous song.

Since they kept Ultraviolet in the European leg of JT, I don’t think they’ll change the encore.

Refashioned? It is a political song...

I tend to agree that they are unlikely to drop GOOYOW and AS all together, but replacing the two American centric political songs with the two European centric political songs makes a lot of sense. If they did put SOL and RFD in those slots, I’d be interested to know what replaces Pride and COBL. Joyful or somber?

I’m still hanging out for a full band EBW. It’s easily the best song off SOI, and it deserves a full band outing.

Refashioned? It is a political song...

I tend to agree that they are unlikely to drop GOOYOW and AS all together, but replacing the two American centric political songs with the two European centric political songs makes a lot of sense. If they did put SOL and RFD in those slots, I’d be interested to know what replaces Pride and COBL. Joyful or somber?

I’m still hanging out for a full band EBW. It’s easily the best song off SOI, and it deserves a full band outing.

I don't think RFD works as a political song. The musical style clashes too much with the "political" meaning (it's too light). However, I think it works quite well as a high-energy rocker. When I said refashioned, I meant refashioned from its use this leg as an early-setlist high-energy rocker without emphasized political meaning.

I think Pride is safe, but since COBL is all about the "city on a hill," maybe they'll sub in something else?

Last edited:
I don't think RFD works as a political song. The musical style clashes too much with the "political" meaning (it's too light). However, I think it works quite well as a high-energy rocker. When I said refashioned, I meant refashioned from its use this leg as an early-setlist high-energy rocker without emphasized political meaning.

I think Pride is safe, but since COBL is all about the "city on a hill," maybe they'll sub in something else?
...except it's literally a political song.

So if it doesn't work as a political song, then it doesn't work.

It would be great if Landlady got in the rotation for Europe though I’m not sure where it would fit in the show.

Well they haven’t been playing it as one. U2 isn’t exactly subtle about letting you know when they’re playing a song for a political message.
... it's a political song. It's a song about refugees. There's no other way to play it.

200.gif

American Soul is not going anywhere. They’ll remove the American flag imagery, that’s about all that will change.

Well they haven’t been playing it as one. U2 isn’t exactly subtle about letting you know when they’re playing a song for a political message.

I’m not sure I understand what you mean? If Bono doesn’t preach, a song isn’t political?

It’s literally about refugees dying in the sea just across the horizon from where they holiday. The style of music is a perfect juxtaposition for the lyrical content which mirrors the themes in the songs.

Staring At The Sun stays, but they just use images of Syria instead.

I really don't know what they do with American Soul. It's a key part of the "show," like it or not. It also has more punch than Red Flag Day (even though Red Flag Day is a better song).

I was thinking they’d drop SATS for Summer Of Love and alter the imagery to relate more to Europe, but who knows they’ll probably stick to the same 23 songs with slightly less America.

I don’t think you’re communicating your thoughts here very clearly, but I’m guessing you’re trying to say there hasn’t been a “speech” or imagery to coincide with this song?

Back
Top Bottom