European Set Changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So to recap the changes are:

#5 Red Flag Day (presumably remains rotational)
#14 Even Better than the Real Thing in place of Desire
#17 Summer of Love in place of Staring at the Sun
#20 New Year's Day in place of American Soul

Encore unknown

I’m happy with all of these changes. Especially NYD instead of AS.

Lol at all the social media allusions to zooropa and zoo station. It’s not definitive, but hilarious if they never show up.

Yeah, I've noticed those teases on Instagram this week. Probably means that it won't happen.

They used Zooropa to such great effect last tour, which is even more of a reason why it won't show up.

i went to a lynyrd skynyrd show a few weeks ago with my buddy (don't @ me, he bought the tickets and basically told me i was coming), and for some reason they thought it would be a good idea in canada, right at the time that the US was slapping deeply unpopular tariffs on our economy for no good reason, to play a song called "red white and blue (love it or leave it)".

it turns out that was not such a good idea, and the crowd informed them exactly what they thought of that sentiment when the song ended. the band seemed absolutely shocked that they were getting boo's for it.

i'm looking forward to the exact same thing happening tonight in berlin :up:

i went to a lynyrd skynyrd show a few weeks ago with my buddy (don't @ me, he bought the tickets and basically told me i was coming), and for some reason they thought it would be a good idea in canada, right at the time that the US was slapping deeply unpopular tariffs on our economy for no good reason, to play a song called "red white and blue (love it or leave it)".

it turns out that was not such a good idea, and the crowd informed them exactly what they thought of that sentiment when the song ended. the band seemed absolutely shocked that they were getting boo's for it.

i'm looking forward to the exact same thing happening tonight in berlin :up:

What you saw was pseudo-Lynyrd Skynyrd. The real Skynyrd ended with the plane crash that killed Ronnie Van Zant, guitarist Steve Gaines and Steve's sister Cassie. This version has only one member from the classic lineup.

I'm not surprised that the fake Skynyrd thought it was a bright idea to play that song. I wouldn't put it past Johnny Van Zant.

His brother Ronnie would have never written a song like that, let alone performed it outside of the U.S.

As for U2, common sense reigned....

SPOILER..........

My thoughts on the changes to a set list that I thought was one of/the worst I have ever seen:

1-Dropping the lip synced album cut of LIAWHL to open the show....great move
2-The opening images of The Blackout....some are great, others dumb it’s still better than LIAWHL by a long shot.
3- SOL with electric guitar....great add. One of the best songs on the album, so why not play it. Would (always) prefer full band but this was a good add.
4- Red Flag Day....good add. Similar to SOl, it’s one of the better songs on the album and works well live.
5- EBTTRT.... great add! So much energy to this song and they play it well. The FOOW remix is one I enjoy and while I would equally love them doing a traditional performance....this is great! Vertigo...Elevation....EBTTRT....what a kick ass trio of U2 live!! (Don’t shit on Elevation live, the song always goes down well with the fans)
6- NYD remix....oh U2, trying to sound young once again and in this instance.....nailed it! What a fresh take on the song live....well fucking done. Great add! Song still packs the usual NYD energy/excitement but brings in the 80s remix version to make it sound fresh...bravo!
7-Dropping American Soul....it makes sense because it’s not America, so yeah you should do it but American Soul was absolutely a live highlight of the show I went to. I get that people around here hate it, I personally don’t hate it but find it more “meh” but it killed live.

Vast improvement so far to the European set list vs the North American. The show still falls short of other tours in my opinion but if they played this set list next time around in NA, I would go again.

New Year’s Day works really well towards the end of the main set. I was watching videos and the crowd was really into it.

Agree that the set in general has improved with these changes.

With this stage set, with the current zeitgeist in Europe, it's a shame that "Zooropa" isn't played in its full form inside the cage opening the second act. It has the long intro (which could perfectly replace HMTMKMKM - I never liked it turned into an pre-recorded interlude) and and dynamics of the song would be perfect for a performance like this, like it happens with "The Blackout" or "Invisible" during Innocence Tour. I see it as a missing opportunity.

All future sets to be five songs long.

Roll the dice on which five.

Get Out is still in the set.

So can't really give them a passing grade. They should drop it for The Showman.

Summer of Love sounds lame as fuck with just two people. Do Adam and Larry want this break, or are they being told to take one?

Also, if they're going to bring back another AB song, would have been nice to hear The Fly instead of EBTTRT.

Will they keep the giant EU flag for the UK shows ? If they do I can see that making a splash in the news here. Personally think they will just to make a statement.

Will they keep the giant EU flag for the UK shows ? If they do I can see that making a splash in the news here. Personally think they will just to make a statement.

Just to make a statement? Seriously?

How about because they believe in it, and it is right, and the UK is a fucking basketcase of truthiness believing gullible fucktards?

Just to make a statement? Seriously?

How about because they believe in it, and it is right, and the UK is a fucking basketcase of truthiness believing gullible fucktards?

Am I a fucking basketcase of truthiness believing gullible fucktard if I voted to stay in the EU.[emoji23][emoji23]

Seriously though I didn’t mean it as in they would only do it to make a statement, they obviously believe in the EU idea. It would cause a fuss here but it isn’t something I disagree with, like I said I voted to stay in so I agree with them

I'd really hoped by now there would be full band versions of all songs on SOE by now tbh. I know they like to get a very settled setlist and stick to it night in, night out, but am a wee bit disappointed not to hear all the new songs in the set.

With this stage set, with the current zeitgeist in Europe, it's a shame that "Zooropa" isn't played in its full form inside the cage opening the second act. It has the long intro (which could perfectly replace HMTMKMKM - I never liked it turned into an pre-recorded interlude) and and dynamics of the song would be perfect for a performance like this, like it happens with "The Blackout" or "Invisible" during Innocence Tour. I see it as a missing opportunity.

Yeah it's a massive waste!

Back
Top Bottom