European Set Changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Proper long winded version that, I did lose interest if I’m honest. If your at the gig I bet you would love it though. But it did seem hard work with all the stopping and starting

This is one of the fucking worst things I have ever heard, and from a band once so capable of launching songs into the stratosphere live. On what planet do they think people go to gigs to hear their favourite songs turned into rambling speeches?

Pure lunacy. I really didn't think it was possible to do Dirty Day so badly.

It's definitely in the speech accompanied by music category a la MLK and Scarlet on 360 and The Ocean earlier on this tour. Would not have expected that of Dirty Day, but they're doing some cool stuff with it (Edge being the voice of Bono's dad is a cool effect). Too much speech and not enough lyrics, but I'll take it since the alternative is a speech with no music before Zoo Station.

It's fine for those shorter songs since there's nothing to split up (so the speech goes over the instrumentation before/after) and they're relatively ambient so to be able to talk over the song, you don't need to modify its structure, but it doesn't matter that much anyway. How can I lose myself in a high energy song if I'm just counting down the seconds until they pause it for the next bit of Bono's speech?

I think they’re trying to do something similar to “bullet” in 2015 where Bono had a conversation with his younger self.

But I’d definitely take this over the current intro to Zoo Station, which is just Bono rambling.

Also, it’s amazing that they’re still trying this with only 5 shows left. I’d probably be like “alright boys, just like the last week of school... time to coast!”

But it’s gotta be part of THE NARRATIVE!!! Otherwise, it doesn’t warrant inclusion in the setlist. Also, am I the only one who thinks it’s weird that Bono is still going on about what an asshole his father was, 17 years after his death, in a very public way.

I get that his mother’s death and his father being an ass are what pushed him towards being the person that he is today. Just seems a little strange to still be harping on about it. Deep wounds, I guess.

The narrative was overrated in 2015 with the Iris-Rbw stretch and then uteotw buried it.
At least they're doing it a little better in 2018.

Harping ? Not the first or the last to do it.

I'd love to see the second section of the show go into a Zoo smash up... thinking of the iconic intro to Zoo Station with the EU flag. No repeating the past but that stage is made for it. But after Blackout and UTTEOTW it may be too much. Fuck Elevation boys let put a Zoo-like spotlight on the mess going on in Europe. America, the world, too, but don't compromise. I hope they pull out the throttle here like the did in the US!

To the (unsurprising) person that that slammed me down on this 2 months ago.. I was (almost) fuckin' right! The intro to Blackout, Zoo Station, Fly, Stay, Horses then New Years Day were perfect. Just had to get that off my chest x

Last edited:
This is one of the fucking worst things I have ever heard, and from a band once so capable of launching songs into the stratosphere live. On what planet do they think people go to gigs to hear their favourite songs turned into rambling speeches?

Pure lunacy. I really didn't think it was possible to do Dirty Day so badly.

It's a private rehearsal relax for fucks sake man

I think they’re trying to do something similar to “bullet” in 2015 where Bono had a conversation with his younger self.

But I’d definitely take this over the current intro to Zoo Station, which is just Bono rambling.

Also, it’s amazing that they’re still trying this with only 5 shows left. I’d probably be like “alright boys, just like the last week of school... time to coast!”

he's rambling but I was at Manchester 2 weeks ago and when Edge kicked into Zoo Station it was worth the preamble because the guitar into was loud and electrifying.. and into The Fly it was perfect.

To the (unsurprising) person that that slammed me down on this 2 months ago.. I was (almost) fuckin' right! The intro to Blackout, Zoo Station, Fly, Stay, Horses then New Years Day were perfect. Just had to get that off my chest x
Good for you!

They played the same set for half the leg though...

But hey, you got it off your chest.

I've just come back home after seeing the London and Belfast gigs. The Belfast crowd was half the size but twice as loud.
All I can say is this tour is much better in person than on paper, especially now that they are not repeating i+e. And that stretch of songs in the screen in the first half is unbelievable. Glad I made the long journey.

I did Manchester 2 , London 1 and Belfast 1. Totally agree the Belfast crowd was buzzing on Saturday. Floor was full but not rammed, just right really. London was like sardines in a tin and Manchester was ridiculously sparse.

Belfast was the best gig ,all though they were all good. Think it was the crowd that tipped it for me.

Best moment was hearing stay within touching distance of the band In Manchester. I’m 32 and id be lying if I didn’t say i had a very emotional moment :) horses after sends the whole thing into that special night moment. I could honestly say if they ended the gig after horses I’d have gone home a happy man and not even complained that they only played 9 songs.

The new songs sound ridiculously good, that album means so much to me now after hearing the bulk of the songs live.

The ending is just perfect ,especially if you have been to the i&e shows

Belfast 1 is right up there with the best gig I’ve been to.

Feel lost this week, proper u2 blues. What a week I had

Last edited:
It's a private rehearsal relax for fucks sake man

Hey champ they're clearly rehearsing it in that style for public performance. And it's garbage and should never see the light of day.

Hey champ they're clearly rehearsing it in that style for public performance. And it's garbage and should never see the light of day.

what if U2's next album is full-on post rock with Bono's spoken word and Edge's ambient guitar?

Point taken lads. I just get frustrated with the level of repeated cynicism pre tour and during tour when in fact they have repeatedly over the last 10 years pulled some real surprises live (subjective to opinion of course) . More so is the occasionally smug and passive aggressive responses from a few that can put other off joining the chat.

Back
Top Bottom