Augmented Reality?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So this idea that there will be augmented reality throughout the show?

Yea, that's not happening

Another part of that is that the point of the pre-show is for you to figure out how to use it and you're not spending the first song figuring out how to use the app. Then it's done and and the story moves on, so it's not the backbone of the show. It's very much a detail, but it does add to the storytelling in a way that I don't think anything else would have.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/...tor-breaks-down-bands-experience-tour-w519653

Seems odd to have a lighting rig below the truss that's holding the rest of the lighting unless there's something special to be done with it. There may be AR at other points in the show... it just won't be phone-based.

Seems odd to have a lighting rig below the truss that's holding the rest of the lighting unless there's something special to be done with it. There may be AR at other points in the show... it just won't be phone-based.
If they're doing holograms (or holygrams for the festive types), why even bother with the phone app?

Oh hey crowd. You know that thing we made you whip your phones out for and download a huge app prior to even showing up? Yea, turns out we can so the same thing without the app, but we just stole all your data and gave it to the Russians.

If they're doing holograms (or holygrams for the festive types), why even bother with the phone app?

Oh hey crowd. You know that thing we made you whip your phones out for and download a huge app prior to even showing up? Yea, turns out we can so the same thing without the app, but we just stole all your data and gave it to the Russians.

To test it out and get some news stories and social media posts out if it? Mostly it's going to be the hardcores that are going to bother downloading the app. If they want frictionless AR, far easier to have something be projected.

C'mon, the data is going to Live Nation!

That's actually a good point I didn't think about: most people in seats (so those you are meant to use the app) will not know about this app before going to the show. So how are they going to communicate that? Send an email through ticketmaster? Leave a little flyer on each seat? :hmm:

That's actually a good point I didn't think about: most people in seats (so those you are meant to use the app) will not know about this app before going to the show. So how are they going to communicate that? Send an email through ticketmaster? Leave a little flyer on each seat? :hmm:
In sure they'll include it in the event reminder email that goes out to ticket buyers and promote it on their social accounts. Maybe a little targeted marketing on Facebook.

Leaving things on seats is an incredibly laborious process so that's out. I'm sure they'll post some signs around the arena, but I'd guess most of the leg work will be done before the show - because having thousands of people try to download a 250 mb app over the arena's public WiFi at the same time will be a total clusterfuck.

Yeah, have to admit, I was a little bummed after reading that. Doesn't sound like they'll be much AR, other than the app, which I don't have much interest in.

Was there any chance it would be more than that?

I sort of always assumed it would be some lame thing where you held your phone up and saw some effects/overlay which "enhanced" whatever you were seeing on the big screen. A minute or two of "oh, that's sorta cool" and you get on with watching the show. What were people expecting, the Oasis?

In any case, I'm sure there will be a lot of opening night complaining about the app crashing, working for some people and not others, etc.

I sort of always assumed it would be some lame thing where you held your phone up and saw some effects/overlay which "enhanced" whatever you were seeing on the big screen. A minute or two of "oh, that's sorta cool" and you get on with watching the show. What were people expecting, the Oasis?

In any case, I'm sure there will be a lot of opening night complaining about the app crashing, working for some people and not others, etc.

Unless the app is already broken, there really shouldn't be many issues. It's completely self-contained and only reliant on a trigger image for activation. Technically it should work in airplane mode. Of course, older phones could crash based on processing power demands.

I was hoping there would be. After Willie Williams was quoted as saying "The staging takes that of it's predecessor to a new level". Adding "the first concert tour to incorporate augmented reality", which it's not. Willie has a great track record of using new tech. There are others doing pretty incredible stuff with AR, so for Willie to talk it up, I thought it would be more than a phone app, that's for sure.

I was expecting more, that's for sure. Requiring no phones, no headsets. If you've haven't read most of this thread, you may not have seen Eric Prydz's astronaut hologram. Now that's the sort of thing that is worth seeing!

I was hoping there would be. After Willie Williams was quoted as saying "The staging takes that of it's predecessor to a new level". Adding "the first concert tour to incorporate augmented reality", which it's not. Willie has a great track record of using new tech. There are others doing pretty incredible stuff with AR, so for Willie to talk it up, I thought it would be more than a phone app, that's for sure.

I was expecting more, that's for sure. Requiring no phones, no headsets. If you've haven't read most of this thread, you may not have seen Eric Prydz's astronaut hologram. Now that's the sort of thing that is worth seeing!
But this is just an illusion. It's not actually floating over the crowd, it's projected on a see through screen... Sorta like the Cedarwood Road visuals, but with an added illusion of depth.

With the improved resolution of the screen, a few more yet to be seen bells and whistles, and the experience of knowing what does and doesn't work with this setup I have no doubt this tour will be mind blowing visually.

It's just, ya know, not going to have hockey rink sized floating holograms that float amidst the crowd.

it will be interesting to see if youtube videos of LIAWHL will be able to trigger the whole AR thingy at home.

You never know, although I imagine they'll have some sort of thing that keeps it to within the building. Yet again, I remember when those iPhone commercials with Cookie Monster or whoever saying "Siri!" on the TV actually activated Siri on the viewer's phone!

But this is just an illusion. It's not actually floating over the crowd, it's projected on a see through screen....
But I want illusion :wink:

With the improved resolution of the screen, a few more yet to be seen bells and whistles, and the experience of knowing what does and doesn't work with this setup I have no doubt this tour will be mind blowing visually.
I'm not a pixel peeper, so not really fussed about the resolution of the screen. But you're right, I don't think Willie has ever disappointed us before, so I'm sure it's going to be amazing.

It's just, ya know, not going to have hockey rink sized floating holograms that float amidst the crowd.
Would be fucking cool though!

I was hoping there would be. After Willie Williams was quoted as saying "The staging takes that of it's predecessor to a new level".

Er, all, this means is that good ole' Willie has adopted his bosses penchant for hype and promotion. He learned from the best. ;)

I was expecting more, that's for sure.

You'll get it. It will most likely be one of the most spectacular tours, visually speaking, and certainly the most advanced tour, technologically speaking, in rock music history.

Wille Williams is the best at this in the business. He's the only one I know of by name, but still.

But I want illusion :wink:

Mate, you're going to see four guys pretending like they're making all the music coming out of those speakers themselves, live. Trust me, you're going to get your illusion. ;)

No one covers U2 songs like U2!

FYI, there’s an update available for the app. I have a feeling they’ll keep updating it throughout the tour with new content and stuff.

How'd everyone like those holygrams? I kid I kid.

Grrrrrrr. Would have been a 1,000 times better with a big fuck off blue Bono hologram.

Although the rest of the visuals for the show looked awesome. The splitting screen was great, the view from the catwalk rail is so much better now, not so much peering through the screen, to see the band in there.

They need to ditch this, such a waste of time.
Yep. Such a waste of time & resources developing it. Would have been far better spending those resources elsewhere in the production, or save a few pennies, reduce ticket prices by a few pennies. I certainly won't be downloading it.

Though if they do have it, they may as well promote it. I was watching a YouTube video of LIAWHL, from last night's show. From someone sitting directly behind the stage, with ZERO view of the screen. They had that small extra screen to look at, high up above the main screen. All they got to look at on that screen, for the entire song, was that blue glacier-like graphic. Boring! They were the seats where people needed to use the AR, to have some idea what was going on.

Last edited:
The people around me along the rail were trying to use it and it wouldn’t work. Apparently if you’re too close, your phone can’t take in enough of the image to trigger it.

Grrrrrrr. Would have been a 1,000 times better with a big fuck off blue Bono hologram.

Although the rest of the visuals for the show looked awesome. The splitting screen was great, the view from the catwalk rail is so much better now, not so much peering through the screen, to see the band in there.

Yep. Such a waste of time & resources developing it. Would have been far better spending those resources elsewhere in the production, or save a few pennies, reduce ticket prices by a few pennies. I certainly won't be downloading it.

Though if they do have it, they may as well promote it. I was watching a YouTube video of LIAWHL, from last night's show. From someone sitting directly behind the stage, with ZERO view of the screen. They had that small extra screen to look at, high up above the main screen. All they got to look at on that screen, for the entire song, was that blue glacier-like graphic. Boring! They were the seats where people needed to use the AR, to have some idea what was going on.
I really don't think the money they spent on this would have made a major difference one way or another in regards to the tour production.

They have a 90 foot long 4k TV that they can climb into. The app was small potatoes.

Back
Top Bottom