Any chance of any other tour dates in Europe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

achtungbeibi

Babyface
Would love to see the band on this tour since you never know when is your last chance, but there is a notable absence of announced gigs in the Nordic countries. Is there any chance more gigs might be announced or is it time to start planning a trip further afield?

Would love to see the band on this tour since you never know when is your last chance, but there is a notable absence of announced gigs in the Nordic countries. Is there any chance more gigs might be announced or is it time to start planning a trip further afield?

Speculation on my part is that this will be the last tour for awhile. I'm thinking at least 3 years, maybe 5.

Then of course one begins to wonder if the band will be able to tour at that point. Bono has almost killed himself at least once, Larry has his back issues and maybe other things going on, etc., and then there is simply the realization that life itself has no guarantees for the future, any future.

I've made a point since Zoo TV to see the band at least twice per tour, with the thought that it could be their last. That strategy has been great of course, I got POPMART, Elevation, Vertigo, 360, I&E, JT30 and presumably SOE coming soon. But it has to end sometime.

I said all that to say this: if you want to see them badly enough, I'd book a trip to make sure it happens. I'm seeing them here in the U.S. outside of my own backyard because they are skipping the South again and I'm not going to sit on my hands and hope for a 3rd leg down here. If a 3rd leg does happen, well bonus. But I don't expect it so I plan accordingly.

Hope you get the tour extended to a place that's best for you. But if you can -- plan to see them somewhere they are definitely playing so you have no regrets.

The band seem to be making a habit of only hitting one Nordic country per tour. In the last decade only one European leg has featured two - 2010, with Denmark and Finland. Otherwise it's been Sweden in 2009 and 2015, and Denmark this year. They really need to get back to Norway; the last time they went there, 2005, was the last time they did three Nordic countries on the same leg.

And, well, it seems Iceland can keep dreaming that U2 will ever go there.

The band seem to be making a habit of only hitting one Nordic country per tour. In the last decade only one European leg has featured two - 2010, with Denmark and Finland. Otherwise it's been Sweden in 2009 and 2015, and Denmark this year. They really need to get back to Norway; the last time they went there, 2005, was the last time they did three Nordic countries on the same leg.

And, well, it seems Iceland can keep dreaming that U2 will ever go there.

The amount of restraint they've shown in their recent European touring ways is confusing. There are many countries that haven't had U2 since 360 or before. They could've done at least 2 shows in Oslo, Helsinki, Poland, Prague, Vienna, Zurich, Zagreb, Athens, Budapest, etc. There is enough ground left uncovered to seriously do another full European leg next year, if they wanted to. There was also rumors that U2 were going to play 2 shows in Riga, Latvia, but that was back when we all thought the SOE Tour was going to be in 2017.

They also could've adapted the E&I stage for stadiums and played 40-50 shows across Europe this summer. They could've even used the JT 2017 Tour stage with different visuals, and obviously without the JT shaped b-stage, etc.

The band also made a habit of OVERplaying the US and UNDERplaying Europe/Australia (maybe with the exception of the UK/Germany...)

Does anyone understand that?

They could easily add many dates in scandinavia, and add a show or 4 to Amsterdam and Dublin, shows to Antwerp, and not to forget all the European countries that are skipped...

All I can figure is that it's somehow more profitable to overplay the US than to simply meet the demand in Europe. With the JT Tour they had a chance to pack stadiums all over Europe. Instead, they stuck to the same basic cities they played in 2015. Then they moved back to the US for 9 more shows.

All I can figure is that it's somehow more profitable to overplay the US than to simply meet the demand in Europe. With the JT Tour they had a chance to pack stadiums all over Europe. Instead, they stuck to the same basic cities they played in 2015. Then they moved back to the US for 9 more shows.

This, or they still equate wanting to be "biggest/best etc. band in the world" with being popular in the US, to the extent everywhere else is an afterthought.

I suspect it boils down to Livenation and their control of venues in the US.
In the US they own some venues ,and have special arrangements with other so the venue rental is much less than in Europe.

It's all about maximising revenue when it comes to Livenation ,they are an extremely greedy entity.
Ticket prices in the US are more expensive,top price is $360 compared to around 200-230 euro in Europe.
VIP ,Platinum ticketing is alot more popular in the US than Europe .

Livenation and Oseary and Rapino the slimeballs look at it from the most basic level and see that they can make more money in a US venue than a European venue .
They stick to the big markets as they are low risk despite but people will only pay mega bucks to go to see U2 so many times,and the big cities are bone dry at this stage.

I suspect it boils down to Livenation and their control of venues in the US.
In the US they own some venues ,and have special arrangements with other so the venue rental is much less than in Europe.

It's all about maximising revenue when it comes to Livenation ,they are an extremely greedy entity.
Ticket prices in the US are more expensive,top price is $360 compared to around 200-230 euro in Europe.
VIP ,Platinum ticketing is alot more popular in the US than Europe .

Livenation and Oseary and Rapino the slimeballs look at it from the most basic level and see that they can make more money in a US venue than a European venue .
They stick to the big markets as they are low risk despite but people will only pay mega bucks to go to see U2 so many times,and the big cities are bone dry at this stage.

You guys are so naive.

Live Nation is a publicly traded company. The only thing that matters is the shareholder value.

And in the past 5 years, the stock has doubled in price. So why would they change what is working perfectly?

Bash LiveNation or Guy Oseary all you want. This band doesn't make a decision without the approval of the band themselves.

U2 may want to renegotiate their exclusive contract a year or so from now since it expires in 2020. TJT and price gouging on this tour certainly puts them in a strong position for the biggest guarantee.

Something else to think about, Bono was seen in Vancouver 2015 having lunch with Rampino several times one on one with no one else sitting at their table.

Back
Top Bottom