$325 tickets... worth it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_acrobat

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
I've been eyeing that 2nd Chicago show. I'll be attending solo, which opens up a lot of opportunities. The 3 I'm really looking at are;

$325 for a single seat 10 rows away from Adam's side of the main stage.
$325 for a single seat 6 rows from the floor, near the e-stage.
$76 for a single seat in the 11th row behind the stage, behind Edge's amps/keyboard.

I technically CAN afford the expensive tickets, but I'd probably have to lie to my wife about how much I spent for a single ticket. She'd hit the fucking roof! I also remember what it was like to be completely broke in my early/mid 20's, and that has really stuck with me. I also have to factor in driving to Chicago with the family, and getting a hotel. So for those who bought the expensive tickets, are you glad you did?

I've also considered just waiting awhile and seeing what kind of price drops occur, since the show is not selling out. I've been checking it everyday, no price drops yet. Without price drops, it will not sell out!

I would never pay that much money unless it was my own reserved spot at an all-day festival where I chose the lineup and dictated the setlists.

So yeah I'd go the $76 one in your position.

But then I'm like you and know what it was like to be completely broke. I still struggle to hand over $100 for ANYTHING, despite currently having a well-paying job. Once a price gets into three figures I walk away. Hell, apart from concert tickets, where I'm accustomed to Australian prices and an international act will often be $60-70 even in clubs/theatres, anything over $50 makes me uncomfortable.

Unless your wife cuts you some slack on the $325 tix because this show is gonna feature "augmented reality, rarities and (gasp) longer sets" like that other thread noted, $76 would be my vote on the "wife guilt" factor alone.

Plus you can use the other $250 to buy the wife a nice gift in Chicago...or buy her a $10 bouquet of flowers and treat yourself to a steak and a massage complete with happy ending before the show.

I've been eyeing that 2nd Chicago show. I'll be attending solo, which opens up a lot of opportunities. The 3 I'm really looking at are;

$325 for a single seat 10 rows away from Adam's side of the main stage.
$325 for a single seat 6 rows from the floor, near the e-stage.
$76 for a single seat in the 11th row behind the stage, behind Edge's amps/keyboard.

I technically CAN afford the expensive tickets, but I'd probably have to lie to my wife about how much I spent for a single ticket. She'd hit the fucking roof! I also remember what it was like to be completely broke in my early/mid 20's, and that has really stuck with me. I also have to factor in driving to Chicago with the family, and getting a hotel. So for those who bought the expensive tickets, are you glad you did?

I had a seat like that for the SOI Phoenix show and when Edge walked over to play that side of the stage it was like he was in my living room.

Totally worth it.

Get the cheap one. I would only pay $300+ for a concert ticket if it was The Beatles back from the grave. or Zoo TV.

Thanks for setting me straight... $76 it is. I was definitely leaning that way anyway, but I'm worried about not being able to see the screen, etc. But not worried enough to pay $250 extra. My wife and kids will be coming with me to Chicago, so it's basically just a U2 concert built into a mini family vacation. However, kids are not of concert going age and wife doesn't care about U2, so I'll be going to the concert alone, which I'm excited about. Might as well take that $250 and put it towards the costs of hotels, gas, dining, etc.

I was gonna skip this tour because I already saw them twice last year, and didn't really feel like making the effort to take a trip to Chicago. Also had nobody willing to travel with me. But who the fuck am I kidding? I can't miss a U2 tour! That's crazy talk!

Those $300 seats near the stage are pretty killer.

If you can afford the seats without issue (your wife getting upset, even if it won't dent your finances, probably counts as "with issue") then I'd get the $300 seats.

Alternative plan - get the 75 dollar seats to make sure you're in the building no matter what, and then hope for a GA drop and/or nice fan with an extra.

Go big

You are traveling to another city to see (presumably) your favorite band. You can afford a good seat. GET A GOOD SEAT!!! No shame in being behind the stage, the main thing is to be in the building. But, I'm of the belief that after all the time, effort, and money you spend to be there, the primo seat ends up being a surprisingly small % difference in your total outlay, yet will improve the show experience dramatically.

Either way, enjoy! I'm jealous.. No Vancouver show, nor Seattle. I can tell you this: if I do travel for a show, you know which seat category to find me ;)

One more point... $325 plus fees IS a shit ton of money. Maybe stub hub for something upper deck not behind stage? Especially as a single, I'm confident you could score a pretty good view at middle ground price. $150 ish. No?

One more point... $325 plus fees IS a shit ton of money. Maybe stub hub for something upper deck not behind stage? Especially as a single, I'm confident you could score a pretty good view at middle ground price. $150 ish. No?

Agreed. I think it's premature to buy now with only the $325/$76 price points to consider. I will never pay top price for a ticket again (last time was on 360, when I was convinced it would be there last ever tour... HA!), especially with the new "dynamic pricing" model, so I'd wait until a week or so before the show, at least. Especially with this being a second show, I'd expect there will be price reductions and quite possibly a GA drop.

Here's what I'd do: Plan the trip, tell the family it's a Windy City Getaway - and that you'll be going to the show on Wednesday, one way or another. Get on your phone Wednesday morning, and watch for a GA drop. (Subscribe to the TICKET DROPS thread on here now, so you'll get a notification when someone posts that a drop is in progress.). I would expect that even without a GA drop, you'll probably find a great single on show day either online or outside the venue that would be WAY less than $325 - and better than that $76 rear view. My opinion, of course... good luck!

Last edited:
Hopefully the members of U2 notice the curtained off empty seats, and their feelings are a little bit hurt. Maybe then they’ll realize they have bit off more than they can chew with these insane prices, and dial it back a bit next time.

Seriously, if U2 are struggling to sell out arenas, something needs to change. Not saying they’re losing their popularity, they just did a successful stadium tour. Hopefully they take note.

Then again, not every concert sells out. I saw Bruce in Columbus a few years ago. They had the rear stage seats all blocked off, and still only sold 13,000 / 16,000 tickets. Nobody said shit about it, and he still came back to Columbus again a couple years later. But with U2, there seems to be a great importance on them selling out.

Last edited:
I was thinking the same as I saw swatches of open seats in back corners for $325 in SJ1 up to a few days before show, but at the show all seats were pretty much filled as I could see. I read a local article in the paper and said was sold out. I did see ticket windows open before the show.
U2 knows their market and always put on a great show. I bought RZ and walked out very happy, didnt think I was ripped off, but Im sure some with less means may not feel that way.

Hopefully the members of U2 notice the curtained off empty seats, and their feelings are a little bit hurt. Maybe then they’ll realize they have bit off more than they can chew.

If I were only going to one show, I'd get the expensive ticket. If you're like me and go to as many as possible, even the gradual rise in GA prices over the years is starting to hurt (but it's GA, gotta do it!).

I looked at trying to get tickets for New York, once I worked out it would cost $400 to be in some shitty seat 2/3's of the way back in an enormodome I abandoned the idea and booked a different holiday instead.

I looked at trying to get tickets for New York, once I worked out it would cost $400 to be in some shitty seat 2/3's of the way back in an enormodome I abandoned the idea and booked a different holiday instead.

I can’t blame you, and you’re not the only one. They really need to lower those prices ASAP for MSG. Clearly nobody is going to buy them. $300 for an upper level ticket is pure insanity, I can’t believe anybody would pay it!

The fact that there are scads of tickets left for U2 in Madison Square Garden should be alarming for them! Not to mention, not selling out their second nights in Chicago and LA. That is unacceptable, and their own fault. They botched the on sale with the verified fan bullshit, and then shot themselves in the foot by charging more than anybody wants to pay.

They'll drop the MSG prices closer to a month out. It's mostly uppers with a handful of scattered lower level VIP & Platinum seats. Drop the uppers to $76-$111 + fees, depending on row, send a blanket Ticketmaster email and a Goldstar offer and watch them cut into the unsolds nicely.

I have 5 single tickets to 5 show. Total $401... so is 1 $325 worth it let alone 2? Not to me.

In terms of seeing the entire show, the real steal if you don't want to hang back in GA are the sections closer to the rear corners of the I stage. You're lower bowl, close and if you have an aisle seat, mere feet from the $330 section for less than a third of the price. I've got seats there for 2 of the shows I'm hitting and can't wait. In 2015 they were the best actual seats I've ever had to see U2.

In terms of seeing the entire show, the real steal if you don't want to hang back in GA are the sections closer to the rear corners of the I stage. You're lower bowl, close and if you have an aisle seat, mere feet from the $330 section for less than a third of the price. I've got seats there for 2 of the shows I'm hitting and can't wait. In 2015 they were the best actual seats I've ever had to see U2.

Yep. I'm doing this night 2 in Boston. Loge 20 (and similarly 15 on Edge's side) has an aisle down the middle of the section, on one side of the aisle the tix are $325.00 for most of the rows and $171.00 for the highest few rows. On the other side of the aisle the seats are $106.00. I am 4th row from Adam's side of stage, got 3 tix to take wife and son and paid a hair less than someone paid for one tickets across the aisle.
I have sat in these 2 sections (15 and 20) many times before for U2 and other acts as they are normally lower priced than the other loge sections. On the Vertigo tour sat in those sections for 4 of the 6 shows I attended (since GA were so tough that tour), they are not rear even though marked that way, direct side of the stage and a great view of the main stage.

I've also considered just waiting awhile and seeing what kind of price drops occur, since the show is not selling out. I've been checking it everyday, no price drops yet. Without price drops, it will not sell out!
WEll the question is, why did they price them so high to begin with. In regards to your first post, I like the e stage the most,(was there for I&E) but I am always looking to save money. If I had to chose, I would go with the edge's side.:love:

Thanks for setting me straight... $76 it is. I was definitely leaning that way anyway, but I'm worried about not being able to see the screen, etc. But not worried enough to pay $250 extra. My wife and kids will be coming with me to Chicago, so it's basically just a U2 concert built into a mini family vacation. However, kids are not of concert going age and wife doesn't care about U2, so I'll be going to the concert alone, which I'm excited about. Might as well take that $250 and put it towards the costs of hotels, gas, dining, etc.

I was gonna skip this tour because I already saw them twice last year, and didn't really feel like making the effort to take a trip to Chicago. Also had nobody willing to travel with me. But who the fuck am I kidding? I can't miss a U2 tour! That's crazy talk!
lol I am not going and saw JT and I&E my first was ZOO

WEll the question is, why did they price them so high to begin with. In regards to your first post, I like the e stage the most,(was there for I&E) but I am always looking to save money. If I had to chose, I would go with the edge's side.:love:

Not sure why they prices them so high, but it’s seriously biting them in the ass. So far we’ve had sections blocked off in St. Louis, both San Jose shows, and Las Vegas 2. Chicago 2 is sure to join that club.

Back
Top Bottom