$325 tickets... worth it? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > U2 eXPERIENCE + iNNOCENCE Tour 2018 > General Tour Discussion
Click Here to Login

Old 03-20-2018, 06:36 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 01:55 PM
$325 tickets... worth it?

I've been eyeing that 2nd Chicago show. I'll be attending solo, which opens up a lot of opportunities. The 3 I'm really looking at are;

$325 for a single seat 10 rows away from Adam's side of the main stage.
$325 for a single seat 6 rows from the floor, near the e-stage.
$76 for a single seat in the 11th row behind the stage, behind Edge's amps/keyboard.

I technically CAN afford the expensive tickets, but I'd probably have to lie to my wife about how much I spent for a single ticket. She'd hit the fucking roof! I also remember what it was like to be completely broke in my early/mid 20's, and that has really stuck with me. I also have to factor in driving to Chicago with the family, and getting a hotel. So for those who bought the expensive tickets, are you glad you did?

The_acrobat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 06:39 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I've also considered just waiting awhile and seeing what kind of price drops occur, since the show is not selling out. I've been checking it everyday, no price drops yet. Without price drops, it will not sell out!

Old 03-20-2018, 07:45 PM   #3
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 11:55 PM
I would never pay that much money unless it was my own reserved spot at an all-day festival where I chose the lineup and dictated the setlists.

So yeah I'd go the $76 one in your position.

But then I'm like you and know what it was like to be completely broke. I still struggle to hand over $100 for ANYTHING, despite currently having a well-paying job. Once a price gets into three figures I walk away. Hell, apart from concert tickets, where I'm accustomed to Australian prices and an international act will often be $60-70 even in clubs/theatres, anything over $50 makes me uncomfortable.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 08:16 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:55 AM
Definitely do the $76 seat in that scenario.
Hewson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 08:51 PM   #5
War Child

Local Time: 08:55 AM
Unless your wife cuts you some slack on the $325 tix because this show is gonna feature "augmented reality, rarities and (gasp) longer sets" like that other thread noted, $76 would be my vote on the "wife guilt" factor alone.
BWU2Buffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 08:57 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Plus you can use the other $250 to buy the wife a nice gift in Chicago...or buy her a $10 bouquet of flowers and treat yourself to a steak and a massage complete with happy ending before the show.
Hewson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 09:00 PM   #7
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_acrobat View Post
I've been eyeing that 2nd Chicago show. I'll be attending solo, which opens up a lot of opportunities. The 3 I'm really looking at are;

$325 for a single seat 10 rows away from Adam's side of the main stage.
$325 for a single seat 6 rows from the floor, near the e-stage.
$76 for a single seat in the 11th row behind the stage, behind Edge's amps/keyboard.

I technically CAN afford the expensive tickets, but I'd probably have to lie to my wife about how much I spent for a single ticket. She'd hit the fucking roof! I also remember what it was like to be completely broke in my early/mid 20's, and that has really stuck with me. I also have to factor in driving to Chicago with the family, and getting a hotel. So for those who bought the expensive tickets, are you glad you did?
I had a seat like that for the SOI Phoenix show and when Edge walked over to play that side of the stage it was like he was in my living room.

Totally worth it.
Mac_Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 09:09 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

If only 11th row then I would totally go for that $76 seat...
Pop Artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 09:19 PM   #9
Refugee

Local Time: 08:55 AM
Get the cheap one. I would only pay $300+ for a concert ticket if it was The Beatles back from the grave. or Zoo TV.
superchuk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 10:37 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Thanks for setting me straight... $76 it is. I was definitely leaning that way anyway, but I'm worried about not being able to see the screen, etc. But not worried enough to pay $250 extra. My wife and kids will be coming with me to Chicago, so it's basically just a U2 concert built into a mini family vacation. However, kids are not of concert going age and wife doesn't care about U2, so I'll be going to the concert alone, which I'm excited about. Might as well take that $250 and put it towards the costs of hotels, gas, dining, etc.

I was gonna skip this tour because I already saw them twice last year, and didn't really feel like making the effort to take a trip to Chicago. Also had nobody willing to travel with me. But who the fuck am I kidding? I can't miss a U2 tour! That's crazy talk!
Old 03-21-2018, 08:25 AM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

If the seat location is accurate then you should see the screen although it might be a little skewed.
Pop Artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 01:27 PM   #12
Blue Crack Distributor

Those $300 seats near the stage are pretty killer.

If you can afford the seats without issue (your wife getting upset, even if it won't dent your finances, probably counts as "with issue") then I'd get the $300 seats.

Alternative plan - get the 75 dollar seats to make sure you're in the building no matter what, and then hope for a GA drop and/or nice fan with an extra.
Headache in a Suitcase is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 11:57 PM   #13
The Fly

Go big

You are traveling to another city to see (presumably) your favorite band. You can afford a good seat. GET A GOOD SEAT!!! No shame in being behind the stage, the main thing is to be in the building. But, I'm of the belief that after all the time, effort, and money you spend to be there, the primo seat ends up being a surprisingly small % difference in your total outlay, yet will improve the show experience dramatically.

Either way, enjoy! I'm jealous.. No Vancouver show, nor Seattle. I can tell you this: if I do travel for a show, you know which seat category to find me
Thesearethedays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 12:05 AM   #14
The Fly

One more point... $325 plus fees IS a shit ton of money. Maybe stub hub for something upper deck not behind stage? Especially as a single, I'm confident you could score a pretty good view at middle ground price. $150 ish. No?
Thesearethedays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 07:27 AM   #15
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thesearethedays View Post
One more point... $325 plus fees IS a shit ton of money. Maybe stub hub for something upper deck not behind stage? Especially as a single, I'm confident you could score a pretty good view at middle ground price. $150 ish. No?
Agreed. I think it's premature to buy now with only the $325/$76 price points to consider. I will never pay top price for a ticket again (last time was on 360, when I was convinced it would be there last ever tour... HA!), especially with the new "dynamic pricing" model, so I'd wait until a week or so before the show, at least. Especially with this being a second show, I'd expect there will be price reductions and quite possibly a GA drop.

Here's what I'd do: Plan the trip, tell the family it's a Windy City Getaway - and that you'll be going to the show on Wednesday, one way or another. Get on your phone Wednesday morning, and watch for a GA drop. (Subscribe to the TICKET DROPS thread on here now, so you'll get a notification when someone posts that a drop is in progress.). I would expect that even without a GA drop, you'll probably find a great single on show day either online or outside the venue that would be WAY less than $325 - and better than that $76 rear view. My opinion, of course... good luck!

hibricc is offline   Reply With Quote