Joshua Tree Tour 2017 - Rumors & General Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
On the map theres a few blocks that are greyed out. Were tickets havent been sold in these blocks. Mainly upoer blocks and a few bottom tier directly looking at the stage

right, but i was under the assumption that those sections were already sold, thus why nothing was available.

sections 235, 210 and 212 are all grayed out... but if you zoom in there is a single ticket for sale in each of those sections.

was there anything that specifically said that these seats weren't for sale yet, or did somebody notice that during the initial sale? i.e. they tried to buy there and they wouldn't let you?

Well that's why they have 20102711615 shows in New York, London, Dublin, Paris, blah blah blah.

Would you put it past them to make a point about having a little bias towards that if they felt it could also sell out?

I doubt those tickets don't sell in the end.

i guess it's possible... but if that was the point, wouldn't they have looked to add a detroit or green bay as well?

who knows

right, but i was under the assumption that those sections were already sold, thus why nothing was available.

sections 235, 210 and 212 are all grayed out... but if you zoom in there is a single ticket for sale in each of those sections.

was there anything that specifically said that these seats weren't for sale yet, or did somebody notice that during the initial sale? i.e. they tried to buy there and they wouldn't let you?

You really see it in the upper deck, 500 level on either side. These sections hold nearly 1,000 seats each. Most are completely empty with no single tix or any resale tix which indicates likely that these seats are not being sold yet.

Taylor Swift played to 56,047 in this set up with the stage at one end back in 2013. I'd estimate U2 has sold at best about 34,000 tickets for this show.

They obviously would prefer the field to be full before they start trying to sell the more expensive seats in the upper decks.

They'll at least make it to 40,000 by show time I think, which is equal to what they did on the ZOO TV tour in Pittsburgh back in 1992 at the Three Rivers stadium.

They did 55,823 on 360 and 27,785 on Popmart. The Elevation tour had an arena show that soldout at 14,863, but did not make use of the rear stage upper deck seating.

So that just goes to show that Pittsburgh is far from a reliable market for U2 with these wide swings in attendance for the various tours. I'd imagine also that 360 Pittsburgh was helped by the fact that there were no Ohio shows on 360 at all. Pittsburgh 360 was also the 2nd to the last show of the tour and the final show in the United States on that tour which also may have helped attendance.

You really see it in the upper deck, 500 level on either side. These sections hold nearly 1,000 seats each. Most are completely empty with no single tix or any resale tix which indicates likely that these seats are not being sold yet.

Taylor Swift played to 56,047 in this set up with the stage at one end back in 2013. I'd estimate U2 has sold at best about 34,000 tickets for this show.

They obviously would prefer the field to be full before they start trying to sell the more expensive seats in the upper decks.

They'll at least make it to 40,000 by show time I think, which is equal to what they did on the ZOO TV tour in Pittsburgh back in 1992 at the Three Rivers stadium.

They did 55,823 on 360 and 27,785 on Popmart. The Elevation tour had an arena show that soldout at 14,863, but did not make use of the rear stage upper deck seating.

So that just goes to show that Pittsburgh is far from a reliable market for U2 with these wide swings in attendance for the various tours. I'd imagine also that 360 Pittsburgh was helped by the fact that there were no Ohio shows on 360 at all. Pittsburgh 360 was also the 2nd to the last show of the tour and the final show in the United States on that tour which also may have helped attendance.
And the sections I mentioned have 1600 seats, with just 3 individual seats available, and 2 of th sections in the middle are completely empty... so unless something specifically states that the sections never went on sale, you can't just arbitrarily guess that they were because there aren't any tickets on sale.

Maybe they weren't... That actually makes it worse that so many of the seats that did go on sale are still available. But I'm just asking if anyone actually KNOWS that they were never on sale vs taking a guess.

Interesting quotes from Adam in the new RS article.

We haven't really sat down and worked out the dynamics of it yet, but I suspect it would sit as the crown in the show. I think we would definitely want to open with perhaps something that is not dissimilar to the Songs of Innocence run [where we did our early 1980s songs] and get people in the mood for this thing that's coming and you give some sense of history of where it came from. Then it'll be a scene change. … This is my guess. We won't know until we start playing it around quite a bit. We will either start with "Streets," or end with it, I might think, but there will be a scene change. Whether or not we go completely in sequence, we've yet to work out. But I think it'll be the beginning of the traditional musical journey that we've always referred to in that period where the songs will take us through a version of America that certainly seemed true and possible at that time. In many ways, perhaps that was the very end of the period of thinking of America as wholesome and benevolent. Really, things have changed quite a bit from that point on. It's going to be hard to see how the country goes back to where it would like to be.

Do you think if you put out "With or Without You" as a single today, it would be a big hit, or has radio changed so much it wouldn't work?

I don't think it would work..The other way around, I think a song like 'Every Breaking Wave' would have been a big hit in the 80s...
Let's be honest. The music is still great, but it just doesn't work because U2 doesn't appeal to the young folks... Maybe it they'd collaborate with Kanye west, Rihanna or Beyoncé a big radiohit may be possible...
The collaboration with Mary Blige in 2006 proved it is a good strategy for a big radiohit. However, I really hope they will never do smth like that again...

I don't think it would work..The other way around, I think a song like 'Every Breaking Wave' would have been a big hit in the 80s...

Let's be honest. The music is still great, but it just doesn't work because U2 doesn't appeal to the young folks... Maybe it they'd collaborate with Kanye west, Rihanna or Beyoncé a big radiohit may be possible...

The collaboration with Mary Blige in 2006 proved it is a good strategy for a big radiohit. However, I really hope they will never do smth like that again...

That was from the interview with Adam in RS today...I found his response telling in that I've read that a Joshua Tree remixed single is a possibility.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

And the sections I mentioned have 1600 seats, with just 3 individual seats available, and 2 of th sections in the middle are completely empty... so unless something specifically states that the sections never went on sale, you can't just arbitrarily guess that they were because there aren't any tickets on sale.

Maybe they weren't... That actually makes it worse that so many of the seats that did go on sale are still available. But I'm just asking if anyone actually KNOWS that they were never on sale vs taking a guess.

I'd say the 200 level sections your talking about have been sold, except maybe the two that are completely empty with no resale or single regular tix. Most sections that are sold always have a few tix up for resale or single ticket that was not purchased. The single tickets often remain for a while because most people buy tickets in pairs or larger groups. So section 211 and section 234 may not have been put on sale yet, but I'd say sections 235, 210 and 212 are for the most part soldout. These are much smaller sections though than the 500 level, with less than 250 seats per section.

What I don't get; if they haven't released these seats for sale yet, and they know they are not going to fill them at the current prices, why not just knock the price down to like $30 for all of those upper level tickets? At least get SOME money out of them, and have some butts in the seats. The people attached to those butts will also potentially buy merchandise like t-shirts, programs, CDs, beers, hot dogs, etc. Seems better than to make $0 off those unsold seats.

Maybe they should've scheduled a Denver show after Chicago and skipped Pittsburgh. Then they could've added a second Cleveland show on Sunday, July 2nd. Cleveland deserves it. It's been FOREVER since U2 played a stadium show there. And I say that as a Pittsburgher lol! Still 40,000 is 2 PPG Arena sellouts. So I guess they will still be making money on the Pittsburgh show. How could they skip Denver??? Doesn't anyone remember Red Rocks?

Anybody know how many tickets are sold for red zone per concert? Got four for Miami. First time Red Zone. Excited. GA MetLife1. Hoping to find GA MetLife2.

I think the reason they skipped Denver is because they didn't sell out Denver the last time. Both shows had sections curtained off and those people got transplanted to other seats in the venue. On Vertigo the 2 Denver shows at the Pepsi center sold 36,000 tickets. On I&E they sold 28,000.

Maybe they should've scheduled a Denver show after Chicago and skipped Pittsburgh. Then they could've added a second Cleveland show on Sunday, July 2nd. Cleveland deserves it. It's been FOREVER since U2 played a stadium show there. And I say that as a Pittsburgher lol! Still 40,000 is 2 PPG Arena sellouts. So I guess they will still be making money on the Pittsburgh show. How could they skip Denver??? Doesn't anyone remember Red Rocks?

In 2015 when the Innocence and Experience Tour visited Denver, the band only sold 28,200 tickets over two nights. Both shows were not soldout. Of course, this is different since its a Joshua Tree Tour with the album being played in full. But having already played Denver 18 months ago and coming away with mixed results I can see why they looked to play another city. I've heard rumors of them adding Las Vegas and Phoenix. Denver might not get any U2 shows until the 20s if they don't return when the innocence and experience tour resumes.

Salt Lake City could sell out a stadium, and its sort of close to Denver. It's at least in the same time zone... but SLC's stadium is small. 360 sold it out at 47,000, and Popmart sold it out at 33,000, which is probably close to what they'd get now.

Just saw the Au/NZ rumour story on U2gigs, I guess it's serious enough to warrant a post :up:

Remember when Nui Te Koha claimed an announcement was imminent :lol: I looked at the post date and saw it was half a year ago, then remembered we're in 2017 now so it was actually 1.5 years ago.. time flies.

Last edited:
Trying to think of who else it could be.

Not Coldplay
Not AC/DC
Not The Rolling Stones
Not Adele
Not Bruce Springsteen

The only other possibility is Bon Jovi, and that's a good possibility because they have a new album out and are touring arenas in North America right now. They historically have done stadiums in Australia.

Pink did 18 (One Eight) arena shows in Melbourne last time she was here (and 17 the tour before that).

Not Coldplay
Not AC/DC
Not The Rolling Stones
Not Adele
Not Bruce Springsteen

The only other possibility is Bon Jovi, and that's a good possibility because they have a new album out and are touring arenas in North America right now. They historically have done stadiums in Australia.

I think U2 is a safe assumption. Whether they change their minds is yet to be seen

Just saw the Au/NZ rumour story on U2gigs, I guess it's serious enough to warrant a post :up:

Remember when Nui Te Koha claimed an announcement was imminent :lol: I looked at the post date and saw it was half a year ago, then remembered we're in 2017 now so it was actually 1.5 years ago.. time flies.

Oh man, Nui Te Koha, whose rare correct claims are like those in British tabloids - sheer coincidence.

Anyway, I hedge my bets throughout that article to avoid staking too much of U2gigs' reputation or my own on these rumours. But it looks like it could all add up, and I thought it worth publishing. Fingers crossed.

Not Coldplay
Not AC/DC
Not The Rolling Stones
Not Adele
Not Bruce Springsteen

Pink did 18 (One Eight) arena shows in Melbourne last time she was here (and 17 the tour before that).

Have GnR been to Australia recently?

Metallica have told management they are only doing 50 shows a year in order to pace themselves health wise. This would mean more stadiums/festivals than Arenas. Apparenlty a US tour announcement comes tomorrow.

Pink is playing live in summer 2017 with Milwaukee Summerfest already confirmed. Australia has waited 4 years for her to return.

Guns N' Roses Tour Dates | Pollstar

GNR OZ FEB

The last time Metallica came to Australia/New Zealand they did play arenas, and had quite an extensive tour lasting from September to November (wish U2 would do that!) so they could be a contender.

If Pink hasn't done stadiums in this part of the world at this point in her career, can't see her starting now.

Taylor Swift has done stadiums on her last two visits. (were both in November/December)

BZyHXAqIMAA_oUR.jpg

Do you guys think there will be any eastern Europe dates? It has been quite a while since U2 did something in the region. I remember Zagreb 2009 (both pretty amazing concerts) , Athens 2010 and Istanbul 2011... and that is it.

Do you guys think there will be any eastern Europe dates? It has been quite a while since U2 did something in the region. I remember Zagreb 2009 (both pretty amazing concerts) , Athens 2010 and Istanbul 2011... and that is it.

for which tour? The dates for The Joshua Tree Tour are complete (European Leg)... maybe you get a chance to see them in 2018 in Budapest/Prague/Vienna etc.. when and if they continue the i+e tour

If they play Japan, I will go to Japan to see them. Japan has been atop my list of places to visit and that sort of gives me encouragement to actually take the financial hit to do so (plus, Japan seems much cheaper to get to from england than from back in Florida).

After Lovetown U2 have had limited success in Japan.

ZOO Tv- 2 shows at the Tokyo dome, one of which does not sell out.

Popmart- 1 show each in Osaka and Tokyo, neither sell very well. 2nd Tokyo show doesn't happen due to lack of demand.

Vertigo- 1 stadium show in Yokohama that doesn't sell out becomes 3 arena shows later in the year.

360- they apparently said "eh, FUCK IT!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom