Joshua Tree Tour 2017 - Rumors & General Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure there will be some Trump voters in the audience, but these are fans who grew up with them during their Greenpeace and Amnesty years, plus these are shows in big cities, mostly coastal cities, and big cities are blue even in red states. .

Most U2 fans are white and middle class or upper middle class. The Cities may be blue, but the suburbs where most of these fans live are purple or red. So there are very large number of U2 fans that are actually registered Republicans. Another fact is that the majority of U2 fans, probably as much as 80%, are between the ages of 40 and 55. Age, 40 to 55, white, middle class or upper middle class. There will be tens of thousands of Republicans or Republican leaning fans at all these concerts.

On another note, has anyone heard about any rumors for a 2nd Philadelphia show on Saturday June 17?

On another note, has anyone heard about any rumors for a 2nd Philadelphia show on Saturday June 17?

Yeah, I figured this was a given. Probably would've made more sense to put Boston on June 17th, and then they could've added a 2nd show on the 18th, and then put Philly on the 25th. But hey, what do I know, I guess? Maybe the stadium wasn't available, etc, etc, etc.

Most U2 fans are white and middle class or upper middle class. The Cities may be blue, but the suburbs where most of these fans live are purple or red. So there are very large number of U2 fans that are actually registered Republicans. Another fact is that the majority of U2 fans, probably as much as 80%, are between the ages of 40 and 55. Age, 40 to 55, white, middle class or upper middle class. There will be tens of thousands of Republicans or Republican leaning fans at all these concerts.

I am all for making people uncomfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I really don't think there's any connection to the music you like and the political views one might have. I really hope he doesn't go on a full-out anti trump rant. Even in the EU there will be people, like me, who will not appreciate it and are really tired of all the tunnelvision against trump. 3rd World and all even got tiresome at times (especially the aids-free generation that he was spouting last tour, what the hell was that, not even close) but as Bono is someone trying to 'improve' the world felt logical he would keep mentioning it, never really felt out of place during a concert because I think everyone can get behind that (bar that one thing I just mentioned though), sense of unity was good amongst the crowd. but going into US politics and possibly attacking my views is not something that should be part of a U2 concert.

Last edited:
I really don't think there's any connection to the music you like and the political views one might have. I really hope he doesn't go on a full-out anti trump rant. Even in the EU there will be people, like me, who will not appreciate it and are really tired of all the tunnelvision against trump. 3rd World and all even got tiresome at times (especially the aids-free generation that he was spouting last tour, what the hell was that, not even close) but as Bono is someone trying to 'improve' the world felt logical he would keep mentioning it, never really felt out of place during a concert because I think everyone can get behind that (bar that one thing I just mentioned though), sense of unity was good amongst the crowd. but going into US politics and possibly attacking my views is not something that should be part of a U2 concert.

Well, this is U2 and they are certainly willing to speak their mind when they feel like it. I mean just look at their live history in concert going all the way back to the late 1970s. U2 did a concert in 1979 in Dublin promoting access to contraception. I'm sure there were people there who could have cared less or may have even been offended.

I think the key will be to balance it with the rest of the show, if they choose to say something. Usually politics only takes up a small fraction of the show if and when it comes up. Plus, hey, anyone who feels their views are being attacked are free to yell back at the band in kind. That happened a lot at Pearl Jam concerts in 2003 where Pearl Jam got booed, by many in their own audience because of Eddie Vedders political speeches.

I doubt Bono will be ranting about Trump in Europe. Trump stands for everything U2 is against, so I'd be disappointed if he doesn't call out Tiny Hands McCheetoFace in some way, preferably with that amazing arrangement of Desire they did last Fall. :drool:

Europe has their own neo-fascists and shady politicians that he can rant about - Farage, May, LePen, Putin, etc...

I really don't think there's any connection to the music you like and the political views one might have.

I think that's a rather odd statement to make. I mean if you're someone who completely ignores lyrics then I guess I can see that, maybe, but still it's silly to completely dismiss it.

Well I'm a Jew who doesn't think there is a god but isn't 100% sure and my favorite band has many references to all religions. I walk around singing Jesus lyrics. So I agree that music and views don't always jive. Especially mainstream music that appeals to all.

Something tells me many Springsteen fans don't share his political views. They share his blue collar values that he sings about.

It's the way I watched all these tough guys talk about The Sopranos like it was the mostly manly show you could watch due to killings and sex, but they missed the fact that the show was artsy fartsy at its core.

Every concert you go to and see dumb drunk white people and most of them aren't there to hear about aids crisis they want to hear streets and go home to jerk off. America.

Last edited:

I know, right? A little AIDS here and there gives this place more character. This crusade against it is just tiresome.

Well I'm a Jew who doesn't think there is a god but isn't 100% sure and my favorite band has many references to all religions. I walk around singing Jesus lyrics. So I agree that music and views don't always jive. Especially mainstream music that appeals to all.

Something tells me many Springsteen fans don't share his political views. They share his blue collar values that he sings about.

I'm a rather casual fan of Springsteen, but the music I do own I can't really think of any overtly political songs of his?

But yes there are going to be those fans, but my point was that the dismissive attitude that there isn't ANY connection is silly.

I'm a rather casual fan of Springsteen, but the music I do own I can't really think of any overtly political songs of his?

But yes there are going to be those fans, but my point was that the dismissive attitude that there isn't ANY connection is silly.

Last show i saw, one of the MetLife marathons, he had a 4 song stretch of Death To My Hometown, Youngstown, Jack of All Trades and American Skin... with some commentary on the election cycle leading into Youngstown, which caused the jersey bros behind me to grumble... "here he goes again"

But really, from Darkness through Born In The USA, and then again with Rising on... Bruce's music is most definitely political... be it blunt and in your face like much of the Wrecking Ball album, or stories of the struggles of the American working class... I'm really not sure how you've missed it.

Last show i saw, one of the MetLife marathons, he had a 4 song stretch of Death To My Hometown, Youngstown, Jack of All Trades and American Skin... with some commentary on the election cycle leading into Youngstown, which caused the jersey bros behind me to grumble... "here he goes again"

But really, from Darkness through Born In The USA, and then again with Rising on... Bruce's music is most definitely political... be it blunt and in your face like much of the Wrecking Ball album, or stories of the struggles of the American working class... I'm really not sure how you've missed it.

Yeah as soon as I wrote this I remembered American Skin, and then started thinking about how many didn't get Born in the USA and realized I shouldn't post before my first coffee. And I'll admit I don't have anything from Rising on.

Yeah as soon as I wrote this I remembered American Skin, and then started thinking about how many didn't get Born in the USA and realized I shouldn't post before my first coffee. And I'll admit I don't have anything from Rising on.

Rising is obviously about 9/11 and the post 9/11 world, Magic is largely about the Bush/Iraq years, and Wrecking Ball is about the Great Recession.

I imagine Orange Douche Face is the working title of his next studio album.

Depends on the type of person you are too, and how much you are bothered or influenced by political messages in music.

I get the political messages of U2 and Springsteen, Pearl Jam and Roger Waters.....doesn't mean that those messages are the main influences as to why I listen, and I certainly don't get bent out of shape if something doesn't jive with what I believe in. But not everyone is like that.

Hell, Rage Against The Machine is one of the most polarizing bands out there (my brother says they fucking hate everyone, so it's ok).....and I certainly don't believe every single extreme thing they preach, but that doesn't stop them from putting on one of the best, most intense shows i've ever seen.....and I loved every second of it.

Yet, I have a buddy who refuses to listen to anything Rage because he politically disagrees.....vehemently.

U2 and Bono are mild, in my opinion. Yeah, Bono can go off sometimes on stuff, but man....it's all so light that I don't even hear it anymore.

You haven't heard a politically charged rant until you've heard Zac de la Roche from Rage call for the Bush Administration to "be hung, tried and shot" lol

Bono and U2 are softies....don't even hear it. Just love the music/songs.

I've noticed in the May 12 to July 1 time from for the tour in North America that there is at least space for maybe another 8 or 9 shows. Most of those shows would have to be in cities already being played but I could also see how they could add maybe 2 new cities in the May 26 to June 3 gap. Maybe Phoenix and Denver.

Also, there could either be a Philadelphia show on the 17th of June or instead a show in Atlanta on the 16th of June.

I've noticed in the May 12 to July 1 time from for the tour in North America that there is at least space for maybe another 8 or 9 shows. Most of those shows would have to be in cities already being played but I could also see how they could add maybe 2 new cities in the May 26 to June 3 gap. Maybe Phoenix and Denver.

Also, there could either be a Philadelphia show on the 17th of June or instead a show in Atlanta on the 16th of June.

there can't be a show in Atlanta on the 16th of June, as there's no stadium that will be open in Atlanta on the 16th of June. that list that went around referencing a potential june 16th date is bogus, unless the new dome they are building moves it's opening date up about 2-3 weeks. the old dome is being torn down as of the end of March. they could conceivably play in the Braves new baseball stadium in Cobb County, but not on that date as the Braves are home that week.

the one gap that is interesting and could see some potential for added dates is the gap between Dallas and Chicago. It's about a week without shows, around Memorial Day.

very odd that they're off for that long... so it wouldn't shock me if something ended up being scheduled that week. the only other week gap they have in the entire schedule is between the NA and Europe legs.

other than that... i'm not quite sure where you come up with 8 potential shows. they need days off both for rest and for moving equipment. i highly doubt they'll send two stages around the country for such a small tour, so they'll need pack up, transport and set up time for each gig.

there can't be a show in Atlanta on the 16th of June, as there's no stadium that will be open in Atlanta on the 16th of June. that list that went around referencing a potential june 16th date is bogus, unless the new dome they are building moves it's opening date up about 2-3 weeks. the old dome is being torn down as of the end of March. they could conceivably play in the Braves new baseball stadium in Cobb County, but not on that date as the Braves are home that week.

the one gap that is interesting and could see some potential for added dates is the gap between Dallas and Chicago. It's about a week without shows, around Memorial Day.

very odd that they're off for that long... so it wouldn't shock me if something ended up being scheduled that week. the only other week gap they have in the entire schedule is between the NA and Europe legs.

other than that... i'm not quite sure where you come up with 8 potential shows. they need days off both for rest and for moving equipment. i highly doubt they'll send two stages around the country for such a small tour, so they'll need pack up, transport and set up time for each gig.

Potential extra shows:

May 15 Seattle
May 18 Santa Clara/San Francisco
May 27 Arlington/Dallas
May 29 Phoenix
May 31 Denver
June 12 Miami
June 16 Atlanta or June 17 Philadelphia
June 22 Toronto
June 26 Foxborough/Boston

These shows work in with a schedule that allows for up to two dates for the same city while leaving a full day of no show between shows in different cities.

The time/distance between the already scheduled dates in Pasadena 2nd show and Houston is instructive. Only two full days off between these cities with a distance of 1,600 miles to cover. That makes going from Seattle on May 15 to Santa Clara on May 17 doable. As well as several other distances between cities where there would only be one day off.

So such a schedule would fit in with their normal need for rest that they have done on past tours. The only issue might be moving equipment if they only have one stage, but I think from what I've seen it could be done. Don't know for sure though, just saying its possible.

For the European tour only see 3 extra shows possible, Berlin, Barcelona, and Dublin, that is if they plan for August 1 to be the last date of the tour.

Last edited:

They're not going to do a Seattle show on the 15th. It's on a Monday, and that should would end up being half full or so.

They won't add a 2nd Dallas show, that would detract people away from the Houston show, which they still have quite a few tickets available for.

I am kinda surprised they arent doing a 2nd Philly show on the 17th. Maybe they're waiting for the 2nd NJ show to sell out, then add Philly on the 17th as a last resort for the NY/NJ/PA people.

Or it could just be they like to have some rest days because they're older. U2's tours have always had mysterious gaps in the schedule that were speculated on that turned out to be nothing at all.

I love U2 and I enjoy their political messages. and what they stand for. Before the election I was retweeting them doing bullet and yelling at video of Trump. But all I was saying, maybe it wasn't even this thread, was that I think what I want more than that now is what I think Bono is saying he will give us... more general feeling of hope. And shit that's how I feel at the end of every U2 show... they blend it well. So I'm 100% on board for everything U2 does except not release music on time and miss a 2nd boston show. See what I did there?

If you don't know Springsteen has political songs then you listen to Bruce but you don't hear the Boss. His happy song Philadelphia is about AIDS! And not the good kind.

I love Rage.

Pink Floyd and Roger Waters -- those are good examples. I saw him twice in concert. And I'm the guy that says forgive Mel Gibson even though I'm a Jew because shit I like his movies and he's no worse than 90% of the world that wants me dead. So why can't I just enjoy him in Lethal Weapon 5 please? But Roger Waters is saying things that are probably so liberal he doesn't realize he's being anti Semitic. When he tells bands that if they play Israel they are against human rights... not sure that sits well with me. And it comes off totally as the rich white guy who isn't affected by it shouting for the hilltops about what other people should do. So not going to lie, I have had trouble listen to Pink Floyd music. Which sucks. Plenty of pieces of shit I can listen to their songs and watch their movies... I try to separate art from men unless of course in the case of U2 I like both...

Back to the jokes. A nanny I know is moving back to Mexico because of Trump because it will be better there. So the wall really is to keep us in so we can't follow her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom