Joshua Tree Tour 2017 - Rumors & General Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Wires presale code still good for 1 ticket since I wasted 3 on Pittsburgh GAs it seems. If anyone wants it for a second show presale PM me. At least I'll have a great chance of getting up really close since less people will want to or be able to line up on a Wednesday. Oh well...what's another $50 when you've been spending money on U2 for the past 34 years.:lol:

Last edited:
I'd say Pittsburgh, Tampa, and Houston will all sellout by the time the shows roll around in 5 months. Often the rule of thumb is that you can sell 50% more tickets after the first on day of sales. So, for example, if you sold 40,000 on the first day, you should be able to make it to 60,000 by the day of the show.

Pittsburgh, Tampa, and Houston are the only shows where you still have large groups of tickets available in several rows per section. Normal tickets and not resell tickets is what I mean.

Pittsburgh will sell out by the show date. Everyone around here is still in football playoff mode.

Well I missed out on Philly and DC because I pre-ordered the Nintendo Switch on Friday and Target had an authorization hold on my account until this morning (they'll charge when it ships)... I am really excited to have just easily purchased 2 GA tickets for Pittsburgh. I'm gonna make a nice little Summer vacation out of it.

Since I got GAs for the other shows and need to work that day, I splurged for MetLife 2 and got a Sec 111A row 1 right by the stage on Adam's side.

Realized I was going to be in Chicago for a conference the weekend of the shows. Used my leftover code to grab 2 GAs. Easy peasy. No second Foxboro? No problems.

Well....Chicago 2 GA tixs were a bit simpler then Chicago 1. That took like 2 minutes instead of the first clustersuck that was 2 hours where magically GA's finally appeared after hours of not pulling. I miss Propaganda fan club, but at least LiveNation/Ticketbastard combo was much better this week.

Quick question - my wife used her Ticketmaster account to buy some pre-sale tickets using my U2 membership pre-sale code.

I'm a bit worried now that I have noticed the codes are "non-transferable". However as both accounts have the same billing and email address do you think we should be ok? She used her own credit card to pay for them.

no pressure, Bono.

anyway, i think it's kind of a foolish article that presents "evidence" like this:

Promoter iHeart.com, obviously oblivious, said that U2 united the crowd “with every song” at is festival. Yet social media saw it differently, according to Independent Journal Review. One fan said Bono’s excursion “was total propaganda and it ruined the night,” while another posted that “I no longer will listen to you Bono.”

my guess is that the vast majority of people who bought tickets in the US aren't Trump voters, and though some people are going to be annoyed by any politicking or speechifying at all by Bono, i don't think being anti-Trump will alienate more than the easily alienated.

it won't jeopardize their popularity one iota, because those who find Bono annoying have found him annoying since 1987.

Well....Chicago 2 GA tixs were a bit simpler then Chicago 1. That took like 2 minutes instead of the first clustersuck that was 2 hours where magically GA's finally appeared after hours of not pulling. I miss Propaganda fan club, but at least LiveNation/Ticketbastard combo was much better this week.

I woke up 25 minutes after the sale began and still had no problem pulling in GAs on both the app and TM site on Chrome. Good times.

I don't think they will go full-on anti-Trump. If you read Bono's U2.com "interview" it sounds like they are trying to take a more hopeful, "bigger-picture" angle and will hopefully use the songs to push that.

"This is a tour for red and blue, the coast and the heartland ... because music can pull people together as surely as politics can pull people apart."

Quick question - my wife used her Ticketmaster account to buy some pre-sale tickets using my U2 membership pre-sale code.

I'm a bit worried now that I have noticed the codes are "non-transferable". However as both accounts have the same billing and email address do you think we should be ok? She used her own credit card to pay for them.

You'll be fine.

my guess is that the vast majority of people who bought tickets in the US aren't Trump voters, and though some people are going to be annoyed by any politicking or speechifying at all by Bono, i don't think being anti-Trump will alienate more than the easily alienated.

it won't jeopardize their popularity one iota, because those who find Bono annoying have found him annoying since 1987.

I think you would be surprised at who did vote for Trump cause a lot of people did. Lot's of people who would never admit to it (even to a random pollster much less anyone in their lives that they interact with regularly). The demographic of a U2 concert....older/middle aged, white, better off then the average (you have to be to drop the kind of cash tixs run), etc. actually fits the profile of a Trump voter better then you might think.

In the end for me, the politics/causes of U2 have been a double edge sword. If it "inspires" them to make quality music...awesome. When it has "inspired" them to preach down at me when I am spending my "hard earned" so they can be multimillionaires without a financial care in the world...not so awesome. I don't necessarily disagree with the causes (as most are quite noble and good), but 2 hours of entertainment I paid decent money to enjoy have gotten a little distracting at times over the years. I took a friend that had never been to a U2 show the last go around for I&E show and one of his comments was does Bono always preach that much. I just laughed as I though it was actually pretty tame night by Bono standards.

Joshua Tree Tour 2017 - Rumors & General Discussion

Dallas,miami ,Philadelphia ,
Washington and cleveland now all sold out

Just tampa,Pittsburgh and Houston showing tickets. How are the sales of these gigs?

Last edited:
I think you would be surprised at who did vote for Trump cause a lot of people did. Lot's of people who would never admit to it (even to a random pollster much less anyone in their lives that they interact with regularly). The demographic of a U2 concert....older/middle aged, white, better off then the average (you have to be to drop the kind of cash tixs run), etc. actually fits the profile of a Trump voter better then you might think.

In the end for me, the politics/causes of U2 have been a double edge sword. If it "inspires" them to make quality music...awesome. When it has "inspired" them to preach down at me when I am spending my "hard earned" so they can be multimillionaires without a financial care in the world...not so awesome. I don't necessarily disagree with the causes (as most are quite noble and good), but 2 hours of entertainment I paid decent money to enjoy have gotten a little distracting at times over the years. I took a friend that had never been to a U2 show the last go around for I&E show and one of his comments was does Bono always preach that much. I just laughed as I though it was actually pretty tame night by Bono standards.

I'm sure there will be some Trump voters in the audience, but these are fans who grew up with them during their Greenpeace and Amnesty years, plus these are shows in big cities, mostly coastal cities, and big cities are blue even in red states. Plus, given his sub-40% approval rating even before taking office, there's an awful lot of buyer's remorse out there. Plus the Trump racism and xenophobia run so contrary to anything U2 has ever said or done.

I live in DC and have heard many Bono speeches which tend to be longer here than in other cities -- I do appreciate that it gets to be a bit much, almost counterproductive.

I'm sure there will be some Trump voters in the audience, but these are fans who grew up with them during their Greenpeace and Amnesty years, plus these are shows in big cities, mostly coastal cities, and big cities are blue even in red states. Plus, given his sub-40% approval rating even before taking office, there's an awful lot of buyer's remorse out there. Plus the Trump racism and xenophobia run so contrary to anything U2 has ever said or done.

I live in DC and have heard many Bono speeches which tend to be longer here than in other cities -- I do appreciate that it gets to be a bit much, almost counterproductive.

I wouldn't read to much into sub 40% rating as the polls were off several points preelection night too. As far as big cities....yes and no. The locations are inherently picked to draw from an entire region....ie Chicago from the general Midwest and not just the cities they are in. I am going to Chicago from an hour away (and I am rarely alone going to and from on the highways in and out of the shows there) and hotels the night of the Shows are double if not triple a normal Summer weekend. I would venture a wild guess that there will be more people at Chicago that live outside the city (Suburbs or further) then are actual city of Chicago folks or it will be darn close to even. I always seem to meet international folks at every U2 concert....not saying they are a majority or voted for Trump....but a U@ show in a particular city has far broader reach then that cities general populous. Again, the demographics of these large coastal cities is vastly different then the demographics of a U2 show...as an example what is the minority population of Chicago verses percentage of minorities that will attend the concert (large verses miniscule)?

I would like to think that U2 fans would have found Trump's racism and xenophobic nationalism repellent based upon everything they've ever written, but like I said earlier, I'm sure there will be a Trump voter or two in the audience. I'm sure there will be a few Le Pen voters in Paris, and a few Brexit voters in London.

Nothing else you've said has really anything to do with assuming that the audience at a U2 show is going to be representative of much of anything. Given the fact that Trump lost the popular vote by a significant margin, especially because he was clobbered by Hillary precisely in these urban and near-suburban markets with middle-to-upper income educated suburban whites, and the fact that where Trump threaded his electoral needle was via a few votes in a few white counties in 3 rust belt states, all leads me to believe that Bono could bash Trump for 2+ hours and his audience would be mostly fine with it.

I agree completely. He really should stop preaching. Let the music do the preaching. Like you, I also do not disagree with his opinions, but he is mainly preaching for own choir, and that is annoying.

I would like to think that U2 fans would have found Trump's racism and xenophobic nationalism repellent based upon everything they've ever written, but like I said earlier, I'm sure there will be a Trump voter or two in the audience. I'm sure there will be a few Le Pen voters in Paris, and a few Brexit voters in London.

Nothing else you've said has really anything to do with assuming that the audience at a U2 show is going to be representative of much of anything. Given the fact that Trump lost the popular vote by a significant margin, especially because he was clobbered by Hillary precisely in these urban and near-suburban markets with middle-to-upper income educated suburban whites, and the fact that where Trump threaded his electoral needle was via a few votes in a few white counties in 3 rust belt states, all leads me to believe that Bono could bash Trump for 2+ hours and his audience would be mostly fine with it.

I'm fully expecting "F the Revolution" Bono in DC, because it's DC (if you don't know what I mean, look up election results for DC and the surrounding areas).

I think he'll focus on unity and commonalities and compassion for the less fortunate -- these things are all inherently anti-Trump, but i don't think he'll be that confrontational, unless they do the latest Desire from last fall. Which I hope they do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom