5/14 – Seattle, WA – CenturyLink Field

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sicy

Sizzlin' Sicilian
Staff member
Please post your experiences, reviews and pictures about this show here.

IMG_2655.jpg

What a amazing show!

After following the forum all last week with Rehearsal threads and then seeing the exact same setlist put into action Friday night in Vancouver I was totally caught off guard with "Bad." It totally made the show. I first thought they were doing a different intro to MLK with the keyboards until Edge came in with the guitar. That song live totally was worth the price of admission alone. The band was incredible. Bono's vocals were on point and he hit all the note's perfectly. This was my only worry on the show and he delivered and hit it out of the park. Ending with "I will follow" was just the icing on the cake. A perfect show ending with the perfect song. The greatest part of it all is my wife is now a U2 fan. :applaud:

Now THAT was a fucking show.

Miles ahead of Vancouver, band-wise and crowd-wise. So much fun.

Was there any issues with the credit card entry? I cannot see anyone post about that. Concerned since Vancouver was such a mess.

The scanning itself seemed to be okay. I was in the back of the GA line - I heard there were issues with the line itself, with numbers and order getting messed up. They corralled us all into the events center until the doors opened, and the line got all janky, at the front as well as the back.

However, I didn't hear of issues with the cc entry - it seemed super fast getting into the events center, having bags looked at, cc's scanned, and wristbanded. not sure how it was for those who came a little later.

- Show started off very strong with SBS and then into NYD. Outstanding.

- Great to hear ASOH although the synth treatment was less than riveting. Still fantastic to hear it, a first for me (can't recall if they played it when I saw them in 87)

- Bad. Oh fuck. Wow. And so early. Amazing.

- Pride. Meh.

- Streets - OK. I liked the intro and the red screen was visually stunning. And the video was incredible. Performance was good but not electric.

- Rest of the JT set was a bit disappointing. RHMT in particular sounded mailed in. Video was also oddly disconnected from the song. I am sure there was some grand storyline that just went over my head.

- Eddie Vedder. Oh my - does every band need to trot him out as the local Seattle superstar/curiosity? Peter Gabriel and Sting did this at the Key recently. But OK, kinda fun. And great to hear Mothers of course.

- Encore - a disaster. BD was flat and the sound terrible. Video was a mishmash that seemed thrown together at the last minute, as if they ran out of ideas.

- UV sounded better. Interesting theme but seemed more of a distraction. One of the more cringe-worthy moments was seeing Melinda Gates' name on the screen. Come on Bono, we know the Gates' money is important to you, but do you really need to kowtow every Seattle visit to them?

- New Song - went over like a lead balloon. Sounded promising towards the end but I prefer to hear songs live after I have digested them on an album first.

- IWF - a nice recovery to close. OOC would have been much better, but that's nitpicking.

- Crowd overall - pretty strong for the most part but the JT dragged on and energy was fading. Not even Beautiful Day could really save it. But they flubbed that one as mentioned.

Overall - 4/10 for me. Now I do not like stadiums and that was part of it. Also, too many camera phone drones in the GA made it very, very annoying. But of course, that is every show nowadays it seems.

Crowd energy flagged a bit during JT side B and end of encore, but still seemed very positive from my perspective in GA (and much better crowd reaction throughout the show, compared to Vancouver). The band obviously dug the vibe of the stadium (see the last-minute IWF).

The phone thing is what it is. It's annoying, but whatever. I've decided not to let it bug me.

Crowd energy flagged a bit during JT side B and end of encore, but still seemed very positive from my perspective in GA (and much better crowd reaction throughout the show, compared to Vancouver). The band obviously dug the vibe of the stadium (see the last-minute IWF).

The phone thing is what it is. It's annoying, but whatever. I've decided not to let it bug me.

agreed on the phone thing. got to accept it if you do GA.

Interesting to hear about Vancouver... when I saw 360 there it was also pretty low energy. But my 2 I+E shows there were pretty good...

I'm very glad I saw these two back-to-back. I was cautious in having a firm opinion after Vancouver, because I was really hoping it was just opening-night jitters/uncertainty, but Vancouver was one of the weakest U2 shows I'd ever seen, so I was thrilled to have such an awesome show immediately following.

Thank you. That is a relief. Going to Santa Clara where I have CC seats and Rose Bowl were I have GA.

Maybe worth a mention, if it hasn't been said already. April 23rd, 1983 was the last time I Will Follow closed for a tour gig. :ohmy:

What a show! Just getting to see Bad again was worth it. Throw in the bonus song at the end and the M&S/Vedder MOTD appearance. It was easily the better of the two shows I'll be seeing this tour. Thank you Seattle for not raining. Great GA experience. :up:

Back
Top Bottom