5/12 – Vancouver, BC – BC Place - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > The Joshua Tree 2017 - Tour Central > Fan Experiences, Reviews, & Tour Photos
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2017, 10:14 PM   #46
Babyface

Local Time: 05:46 AM
So here’s my review for what it’s worth. (haven't been on here in years and lost my old account!) Totally agree with U2brothr on the bands energy etc. But I think that the lineup fiasco took a toll on the band AND the crowd, which feed off each other! The band was clearly sweating backstage. My guess is they gave the venue an ultimatum. “Get them in, now!” They must have been completely out of sorts by the time they hit the stage. I know I was.

Overall it ruined the entire experience for me, this being the worst of the 5 shows I’ve seen of them. For starters it was to be my very first U2 GA experience and it couldn’t have been worse. Got there at 6pm but didn’t actually get in until 9pm with just enough time to run for a bathroom and find a spot on the floor. There was none of that GA feeling of one-ness with the other fans. We didn’t have that 30 minutes between the opener and U2 to get us revved up.

All that being said, the show did start off fantastic, aside from the fact that from my point on the floor I couldn’t see a damn thing on the b-stage. ASOH was far and away my favourite moment of the show. LOVE the new accompaniment. I loved RHMT too. Bono was giving it his all. It’s an incredibly high song to sing and he was really leaning into those notes. He was doing the clenched hand thing…. Lol

The encore was absolutely awful imo. It felt like they just threw a bunch of songs together and gave Bono some room for his political stuff. Beautiful Day and Elevation….ok I get it. Good crowd pleasers, but Ultraviolet was just done on the 360 tour, and that time it was WAY better. MS had a riveting video, but the song did't go over well. Plus it totally sapped any energy we had. Ending with a new song was a horrible idea. After that, as others have mentioned, the band sort of just left the stage. Every other show I’ve seen Bono ALWAYS says “thanks for giving us a good life” (U2brother, you can verify if they really do say it EVERY time.) but even that was missing. I left the venue wondering if I’d really seen a U2 show. It felt so incomplete.

My friend later gave a good reason for the new song. The show was a complete nostalgia trip, until the end when it all circled back the present. I see that now and it makes sense, but emotionally it just didn’t work.

Overall though, I left the show feeling so let down with no euphoria or the urge to see them immediately again. Of course now that I’m watching the footage on youtube I’m dying to see them again. Really gutted overall. You said it perfectly U2brother "as a lover of the band.... like all of you were... it pained me to feel this sort of confliction after a U2 show." I would have loved to meet you btw. Had no clue you were there!

Some fun tidbits…. Waiting in line was more memorable than the show itself. As Mumford and Son sang “I will wait I will wait for you” and “I really fucked it up this time” we all had a good laugh. Also, I thought it was hilarious how the crowd would give a gasp/cheer of surprise every time U2 started the next song on the JT, as if we didn’t know what was coming next. Lol

Old 05-23-2017, 08:16 PM   #47
Babyface

Got a call from bc place and it sounds like they are working with ticketmaster and might issue refunds. Not sure if this is for all ticket purchasers or the ones who complained but it's worth a shot emailing them if you haven't already.

Old 05-25-2017, 01:21 AM   #48
Gunslinger

Local Time: 01:46 AM
I had this second call. It seems that some form of compensation is being decided on shortly. They asked where I purchased my tickets from.
Old 08-28-2017, 01:27 PM   #49
Gunslinger

An email was sent on Friday from TM in regards to a "U2 Vancouver recovery package." TM gift cards are coming express in the mail!

Seems they waited until after Metallica played the venue to see if changes made would work. Look like it did. Sweet!
Old 08-28-2017, 03:30 PM   #50
Babyface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland of Gilead View Post
An email was sent on Friday from TM in regards to a "U2 Vancouver recovery package." TM gift cards are coming express in the mail!

Seems they waited until after Metallica played the venue to see if changes made would work. Look like it did. Sweet!
I actually got mine a few weeks ago. I heard they didn't use CC scanners for Metallica. They must be too scared to try again. Funny they never did admit it was their fault even though other venues have use cc entry with little issue. At least I got $50 back.
Old 08-28-2017, 09:10 PM   #51
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonichka11 View Post
I actually got mine a few weeks ago. I heard they didn't use CC scanners for Metallica. They must be too scared to try again. Funny they never did admit it was their fault even though other venues have use cc entry with little issue. At least I got $50 back.

Was your $50 from a single gift card?
Old 08-28-2017, 09:29 PM   #52
Babyface

Yes. I only had one ticket. So if you have multiple tickets I don't know if they'll give you multiple cards worth 50 each, or the full price all in one card.
Old 08-28-2017, 10:03 PM   #53
Gunslinger

I have 4 gift cards today. I haven't checked them online yet. 200?!?! Oh yeah!!!
Old 08-28-2017, 10:25 PM   #54
Babyface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland of Gilead View Post
I have 4 gift cards today. I haven't checked them online yet. 200?!?! Oh yeah!!!
If you bought 4 tickets then should be!