Would you like to see POP songs return to the set?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Strangefiction

Babyface
Do You Feel Loved I've been waiting to see make a live return forever but alas I think its lost to the abyss of the U2 catalog.

There are a couple of Zooropa songs I wish would return as well but same scenario sadly

Last edited:
Please
SATS
Miami (in Miami only)
Gone
Playboy Mansion

I'd love to hear them nail a well rehearsed full band version of IGWSHA...but the odds of that are about 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 to 1.

No, I would not like that.

Delete your account.

Same for anybody else who does not want any Pop songs back in the setlist.

Gone, Discotheque, LNOE, Please, Mofo - all five are exceptional live tracks that deserve a comeback. Really the only two I hope never make a future setlist are IGWSHA and Playboy Mansion.

Of course. Not sure how well they would slot in during this tour, but who cares.

Well, JT will be one half of the show, so that leaves the other half of the show wide open. I would be pleasantly surprised to see them perform some rarely played Pop songs. Perhaps they can give the "warhorses" a vacation for this tour. :wink:

I still think 'Gone' could make a great encore opener this tour. Kind of fits the story of going from the JT to 90's

If they play JT in order I'm not sure Mothers would close out the 1st set. Think they'll maybe go:

Exit
MOTD
Pride
Beautiful Day

ENCORE:
Gone
Fly
Mysterious Ways
One

Gone, Discotheque, LNOE, Please, Mofo - all five are exceptional live tracks that deserve a comeback. Really the only two I hope never make a future setlist are IGWSHA and Playboy Mansion.

Do You Feel Loved is a great tune that could be done correctly live.

Staring at the Sun is fun, acoustic or otherwise.

So that's seven songs that I'd be pretty psyched to hear live even if I've never been that into Please.

It's kind of disturbing that they actually rehearsed The Playboy Mansion for the last tour. And One Step Closer, etc. Like they could care less about reigniting an old staple like A Sort of Homecoming because they think fans will actually freak out over one of these turds because they have never been played live before. Ugh.

Most of these songs can be played in multiple interpretations/arrangements. They can tactfully fit some of these songs in the setlist if they really want to.

That was fine, but I expect the whole song would be quite boring.

Definitely, especially in the context of a stadium full of fans. It would fall flat, the crowd would not respond at all, and the band would abandon after a handful of gigs.

I suppose it would be similar to when I saw U2 play "Your blue room" in Chicago, 2009. It came as an absolute surprise to me, had no idea they had rehearsed it or anything. As stoked as I was to hear that song live, you could actually feel the energy draining from the crowd, like a deflating balloon. A slow, moody piece like YBR, a song that 90% or more of the crowd had never heard, that was from a side project that only hardcore/completist fans own, recorded14 years prior... that was an odd choice for a stadium.

Your Blue Room is probably the ballsiest cut they've ever brought to the stadium...well, other than all those midtempo, schlocky unfinished tunes on 360. But to play a mood piece like YBR in front of 70,000 people takes guts and it also takes pipes.

As in, good bathroom pipes, since 50,000 will be headed there a minute into the tune.

Some shows on Zoo TV had 5 covers played. There'd be pandemonium on Interference if that happened today.

Would you like to see POP songs return to the set?

I'd like to see PLEASE as the lead-in to Streets ala POP Tour.

I've thought they should include one song from each of their albums with the 11 from the JT:

Boy -- I Will Follow
October -- Gloria
War -- New Years Day (or Sunday Bloody Sunday)
Unforgettable Fire -- Pride
Rattle and Hum -- Desire
Achtung Baby -- Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses (single version)
Zooropa -- First Time
POP -- Please
All That You Can't Leave Behind -- Beautiful Day
How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb -- Vertigo is a classic, but Crumbs or COBL might work better for this tour)
No Line On The Horizon -- Boots, or maybe White As Snow for a change-up
Songs Of Innocence -- This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now

I think most of us would like to see Pop, but I think Please into Streets for this particular tour might be odd. Hopefully ie when it returns.

There's no excuse for them not to go that angle on the next tour, but there really just isn't room in this tour's setlists. Between the early stuff and JT quickly running up to 20 songs and then the planned encore that they're currently working on in rehearsals, there just isn't much room.

Hopefully the Songs of Experience part of the next tour won't be so tailored to "telling a story" for the first ten songs and focusing on so many visual gimmicks along the way. Just a lot of repetition for anybody that attended multiple nights and was basically just twiddling their thumbs until U2 hit the B-stage and could surprise (or at least play a tune that wasn't being played every night). I mean, obviously they were subbing out Boy-tunes, for example, in the #2 slot early in the set, but it doesn't really change the atmosphere in the room if it's Out of Control one night or The Electric Co. the next.

If they don't get so stuck in having everything heavily choreographed and focusing on the damn video screen which I thought really added little to the show, then we might actually get some wild setlists for once. They played more songs on the last tour than on any one previous, it's just problematic that they played the same damn 19 songs basically every friggin' night.

tldr; They need to just rehearse a bunch of songs including Pop ones and basically have a much wider range in setlist variation over multiple nights. Or, hell, go for your similar story-telling each night but sub-out Desire for Angel of Harlem over two nights or Gone for Elevation, etc.

Pop was 20 years ahead of its time. With Electronic Dance Music at its peak (and also 20 year anniversary of Pop), you would assume the band would have something up their sleeve. Nice updated Popmart screen though :der:

Pop songs won't be represented on this tour, neither will Zooropa, NLOTH, or SOI. This (even if the band won't say it) is a 'nostalgia tour'. There's no two ways around it. Bringing back ASOH (even if only for 3 shows) was 'pushing the envelope' for them...sorry Poptarts...:hug:

I'm constantly rationalising between "be happy they're still going at all, let alone consistently putting on good shows" and "but these other songs that are just as good aren't given a chance".

Bono remarked that they didn't play rhmt because they couldn't work it out. The same band that debuted your blue room at a stadium show. They're a fickle bunch.

Back
Top Bottom