This is NOT what we wanted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bono could not remember most of the lyrics from The Fly......:doh:

Remember when he forgot the words of Zoo Station, sang "I'm ready for the ball and the bat/I'm ready for the ac-ro-bat" and this place freaked out that they might be rehearsing Acrobat? :lol:

I'm really itching already to her some more rotation in the set,although it's great at this moment. I'd love them to throw Until The End Of The World in there, that won't dwindle any energy!

I was thinking about this the other day, even though they have played it at every concert i have been to, it would still be great to hear again it never fails and always delivers.

I don't think it's a stretch to say this isn't going to go down at anyone's favorite U2 tour. And that's cool.

But I think the "omg this is the end of U2" kind of vibes some of the negative comments are leaning toward is ridiculous.

I'm thrilled that they are playing The Joshua Tree in full, and I can't wait to see it in the flesh, but I personally think it will be the only full album tour they will do.

I'm thrilled that they are playing The Joshua Tree in full, and I can't wait to see it in the flesh, but I personally think it will be the only full album tour they will do.

Not sure about last full album tour, but U2 so you never know.

What is curious, intriguing, whatever word you want (and likely the subject of many future threads) what's next after this tour from a tour perspective?

u2.com shows 360 ending in '11, I&E '15, JT30 in 2017... the sort of standard 4 to 5 years puts the next tour in 2021 ish... that's a long time away.

Or, reboot I&E on a shorter time frame say late '18 or '19... and if that's the case, that's a lot of touring for a band that has historically put at a solid 3 and frequently 4-5 years on between tours... plus a bit of market saturation... at least for some parts of the globe.

Not sure about last full album tour, but U2 so you never know.

What is curious, intriguing, whatever word you want (and likely the subject of many future threads) what's next after this tour from a tour perspective?

u2.com shows 360 ending in '11, I&E '15, JT30 in 2017... the sort of standard 4 to 5 years puts the next tour in 2021 ish... that's a long time away.

Or, reboot I&E on a shorter time frame say late '18 or '19... and if that's the case, that's a lot of touring for a band that has historically put at a solid 3 and frequently 4-5 years on between tours... plus a bit of market saturation... at least for some parts of the globe.

The original theory and hints were that iE would resume in the fall with South American spots, and SOE coming out around then.

But just recently whisperings leaned towards those dates now being a continuation of JT.

We really don't know. I mean, it is U2.

My hope is that it's a continuation of iE in the fall, the band(at least Bono) seem 'on board' with that concept.

But you just never know with this fucking band.

I would be completely happy if they wrapped up that concept and quietly called it quits. It's a strong concept to end on. Then release SOA without a tour and maybe a short AB tour.

Remember when he forgot the words of Zoo Station, sang "I'm ready for the ball and the bat/I'm ready for the ac-ro-bat" and this place freaked out that they might be rehearsing Acrobat? :lol:

Haha, oh yes I remember that! Man those first few shows were very rusty, I think by the time they hit LA they found somewhat of a groove..(certainly by the time they put the Zoo TV part as an encore opener) But I would have loved to have seen some shows at the end of that first US leg.

Wow, a lot of negativity in this thread. I will say the encore was weak, but otherwise tremendous show, SBS included. While I admit it did feel a tad slapped together, our expectations when seeing U2 have become ridiculously high. From what I can tell, first timers loved it, while those of us who've seen them on multiple tours were a bit let down. Also, how can you complain about the setlist when you haven't actually seen them live on this tour yet?!

Oh, and that 'girl' with the lasso...pretty sure that's Morleigh.

Last edited:
I don't think it's a stretch to say this isn't going to go down at anyone's favorite U2 tour. And that's cool.

But I think the "omg this is the end of U2" kind of vibes some of the negative comments are leaning toward is ridiculous.

All I suggested was that they slide their pre-JT songs until after the JT set. SBS would then make sense to play after, as it would be the perfect pick up for the B-side JT songs that the regular fan wouldn't know. Song selection is great as far as I'm concerned. Song placement is absolute garbage.

U2 did 7 songs on AB for the Zoo Tv tour out of the gate; why can't they pull it off when it's the album they're commemorating?

Never did I talk about their actual performance. U2 sounds great and they aren't ending anytime soon

Last edited:
Okay, but you're weird, so ... ;-)

Touché. :lol:

No new shit (Little Things notwithstanding) automatically puts it ahead of Elevation, Vertigo, 360, and IE. A Sort of Homecoming, One Tree Hill, and Exit puts it ahead of ZooTV and Popmart. Plus Bono sounds better than he did on Popmart.

The original theory and hints were that iE would resume in the fall with South American spots, and SOE coming out around then.

But just recently whisperings leaned towards those dates now being a continuation of JT.

We really don't know. I mean, it is U2.

My hope is that it's a continuation of iE in the fall, the band(at least Bono) seem 'on board' with that concept.

Perhaps the South American stuff is shifting towards JT because they're enjoying it? Bono did say on stage today that the band have been wondering why they hadn't done Red Hill Mining Town sooner.

Haha, oh yes I remember that! Man those first few shows were very rusty, I think by the time they hit LA they found somewhat of a groove..(certainly by the time they put the Zoo TV part as an encore opener) But I would have loved to have seen some shows at the end of that first US leg.

The Boston shows were incredible, but part of me has been jealous of you getting those crazy unexpected debuts and the weird changes in setlist. This one still gets me: U2 Anaheim, 2005-04-01, Arrowhead Pond, Vertigo Tour - U2 on tour

Fuck this thread. The tour is awesome just the way it is and is far more enjoyable than I+E even with the horrendous stadium handicap.

Last edited:
TJT played in sequence is great but it's what surrounds it that's questionable. The show is still so short for a stadium tour. The Encore is very stale and Sarajevo sucks the life out of the entire show. I really don't understand the out of the blue decision to play I Will Follow as the very last track, why get everyone's energy up and then walk off? It's bizzare.

IWF at the very start of the show would improve the set 10 times over, I never thought i'd say that as I was firmly on the side of calling for it to be dropped and rested for this tour. The fact that now i believe it would improve it 10 times over speaks volumes.

I think this tour is becoming more and more stale and I pray that they can give us some variation in the encore to make things more memorable. Include some tracks that was played on 360, even EBTTRT.

The opening act with SBS and New Year's Day is very cool but it does feel thrown together just to lead into TJT. Pride into Streets just does not work.

It feels like they'd rather be elsewhere, there was a quote on the atu2 forum that it doesn't seem that Bono has done the pre tour preparation that he usually does. I think the case of Live Nation forcing them to tour something has lead to this and whilst its great to see them performing live. For the anniversary of TJT they could have come up with something better than this..... Even just a longer set would be so much better!

I've been avoiding this forum until I actually saw the show and well it doesn't disappoint. Gotta love setlist bitching from people who haven't actually been to a show. SBS was great as an opener. I thought it was smart to not open with Streets. They built up to it.

Oh and the crowd freaking LOVED ASOH. I still can't believe I heard it live, along with OTH, IGC, EXIT and RHMT. As a fan not old enough to go to the original Joshua Tree Tour this was a dream come true.

Apparently, LA1 had a bit of a setlist switch up, so I'll be curious to see what they do today.

Also, never change Interference!

TJT played in sequence is great but it's what surrounds it that's questionable. The show is still so short for a stadium tour. The Encore is very stale and Sarajevo sucks the life out of the entire show. I really don't understand the out of the blue decision to play I Will Follow as the very last track, why get everyone's energy up and then walk off? It's bizzare.

This is the first person that I have read that didn't like ending with a high energy song like "I Will Follow". I can't figure how anybody would think this is bizzare but to each his or her own of course.

Last edited:
This is the first person that I have read that didn't like ending with a high energy song like "I Will Follow". I can't figure how anybody would think this is bizzare but to each his or her own of course.

Because it's not supposed to be on the set list? It's a track that has always been played at the beginning of each set? The Little Things is supposed to be the closing song.

IWF at the very start of the show would improve the set 10 times over, I never thought i'd say that as I was firmly on the side of calling for it to be dropped and rested for this tour. The fact that now i believe it would improve it 10 times over speaks volumes.

I think this tour is becoming more and more stale and I pray that they can give us some variation in the encore to make things more memorable. Include some tracks that was played on 360, even EBTTRT.

The opening act with SBS and New Year's Day is very cool but it does feel thrown together just to lead into TJT. Pride into Streets just does not work.

It feels like they'd rather be elsewhere, there was a quote on the atu2 forum that it doesn't seem that Bono has done the pre tour preparation that he usually does. I think the case of Live Nation forcing them to tour something has lead to this and whilst its great to see them performing live. For the anniversary of TJT they could have come up with something better than this..... Even just a longer set would be so much better!

I try not to armchair quarterback their setlist decisions to death. Unlike most of us, they have been in the music business for over 40 years and though I may not like everything they choose to play, I just go with it and try to enjoy the show for what it is.

Because it's not supposed to be on the set list? It's a track that has always been played at the beginning of each set? The Little Things is supposed to be the closing song.

In that case, I'm glad U2 isn't the type of band that always does what's "supposed" to be done because it's written on paper.

In that case, I'm glad U2 isn't the type of band that always does what's "supposed" to be done because it's written on paper.

I've never suggested that. The last few tours they have generally kept to a tight script and schedule each show. There has never been much improvisation gone into their shows.

Whereas this time it doesn't feel right and it has been questionable, at least in my eyes

I've never suggested that. The last few tours they have generally kept to a tight script and schedule each show. There has never been much improvisation gone into their shows.

i have to disagree with this. Shows regularly vary from night to night and Bono not infrequently throws in different snippets during shows (my favorite was in Montreal for the 360 tour when the intro to Streets was changed on the second night from Amazing Grace to Hallelujah, a nod to Leonard Cohen who was from Montreal) . I've seen Bono dance with both Elvis and Santa Clause at the same time during a show. I've even seen them do Vertigo twice one night. I think they try to mix things up as best they can.

SBS, IWF, NYD, ASOH, P, JT, ZS, UTEOTW, TF, UV, O, B, 40. Would live this. Won't happen but I will have an awesome time at the shows I am going to, Miami, NY1, NY2 no matter what they play. Just as much fun now as when I saw them at Tiffanys Ballroom in Glasgow many years ago.

Back
Top Bottom