This is NOT what we wanted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Starting this tour's shows with Sunday Bloody Sunday, tuned farther down to compensate bono's voice- may I add, is the laziest idea they've ever pursued.

IT'S THE JT TOUR! Start the show with Where the Streets Have No Name with the guys rising above the stage (zoo tv style). It's a stadium show; it's logical, gets the crowd excited, and move those songs to the middle of the JT album set so they don't bore non-hardcores with Exit and Trip.

This might possibly be the most uncreative thing the guys have ever done on tour.

There, I said it. :crack:

And yes I'll still be attending

This is one of the dumbest posts I've seen on this forum.

Some people here need to get a life. I feel more positive and happy about U2 after LA1 and LA2 than I have in many years.

This is one of the dumbest posts I've seen on this forum.

Some people here need to get a life. I feel more positive and happy about U2 after LA1 and LA2 than I have in many years.

Don't criticize other members on this forum for forming their own subjective opinions; The purpose of Interference is for fans to write their thoughts based on what they've seen, heard and/or experienced; more-so specifically based on their current setlist.

I'd be more than happy to hear what you liked and didn't like from the setlist from the shows you've seen, but there's no room for name calling.

Last edited:
Don't criticize other members on this forum for forming their own subjective opinions; The purpose of Interference is for fans to write their thoughts based on what they've seen, heard and/or experienced; more-so specifically based on their current setlist.

I'd be more than happy to hear what you liked and didn't like from the setlist from the shows you've seen, but there's no room for name calling.

Yeah but putting 'we' in the title infers you speak for the majority so it's going to put some backs up from the off.

I think if a band is going to be starting a lot of gigs in the daylight then a powerful song is needed. So can understand them starting with SBS in that case.

But it's great to hear Exit, amongst others, again - and the western clip at the start is very ZooTV for me. Could do without Elevation and BD - but a very happy with Ultraviolet returning.

This tour has got a troubling sense of laziness to it so far. It's almost as if they are pacing themselves, playing it ultra safe and not wanting to give it everything on a sold out stadium tour.

Honestly I think we should start accepting the fact that we aren't going to be getting any shows longer than 22/23 songs during this tour. They've settled in nicely to their routine of songs all of which, they have been rehearsing.

It does still baffle me why they keep changing up the set list for the worse. Each show I am expecting them to rip into something different and give us a surprise but no, they go with cutting songs out!

The most realistic thing we can hope for is that they bring back ASOH, anything else at this stage is just unrealistic, as sad as it is to say.

This tour has got a troubling sense of laziness to it so far. It's almost as if they are pacing themselves, playing it ultra safe and not wanting to give it everything on a sold out stadium tour.

it's the tour they never wanted to do. Not surprised at the laziness.

I'll concede they have rehearsed well and generally nailed the JT songs. But they _have_ to play these songs. The rest of the show is a token effort and that says it all.

I like how some of the most vocal critics in here, who you know have actually seen the show, and historic fact disagree with both of you.

I like how some of the most vocal critics in here, who you know have actually seen the show, and historic fact disagree with both of you.

Nobody likes to admit they wasted their money. I am sure the JT set is great. It'd probably move me to tears if I was there. But the rest of the show has all the hallmarks of a band with little interest in the whole exercise.

You tell me, where will this tour sit in the U2 hall of fame?

Last edited:

Honestly I think we should start accepting the fact that we aren't going to be getting any shows longer than 22/23 songs during this tour. They've settled in nicely to their routine of songs all of which, they have been rehearsing.

It does still baffle me why they keep changing up the set list for the worse. Each show I am expecting them to rip into something different and give us a surprise but no, they go with cutting songs out!

The most realistic thing we can hope for is that they bring back ASOH, anything else at this stage is just unrealistic, as sad as it is to say.

Good god you guys are spoiled as fuck

I agree with so many criticisms about show length, disappearance of ASOH, very limited song selection, etc., but I grow tired of them being expressed as part of the "U2 were forced to do the tour and hate being out there" conspiracy theory.

Setlist length: Could be bigger (also something my girlfriend says to me in the bedroom)

However my first U2 show was 21 songs. On the Vertigo Tour. So frankly? I don't care. They can either blast 21 good songs or be lazy for 25 songs.

Nobody likes to admit they wasted their money. You tell me, where will this tour sit in the U2 hall of fame?

There have been reports from people who thought the show was just okay. I didn't think the Vancouver show was a particularly good U2 show. But wasted money? Come on.

As for the tour overall, it's not going to go near the top of my list, but so what? There's no need for hand-wringing over it.

Them doing this tour is not a sign of anything, and it's making a lot of fans very happy.

Nobody likes to admit they wasted their money. I am sure the JT set is great. It'd probably move me to tears if I was there. But the rest of the show has all the hallmarks of a band with little interest in the whole exercise.

You tell me, where will this tour sit in the U2 hall of fame?

I don't know, I haven't seen it yet.

BUT, full album, new song, solid classics, stunning visuals? Probably pretty high for some.

There have been reports from people who thought the show was just okay. I didn't think the Vancouver show was a particularly good U2 show. But wasted money? Come on.

As for the tour overall, it's not going to go near the top of my list, but so what? There's no need for hand-wringing over it.

Them doing this tour is not a sign of anything, and it's making a lot of fans very happy.

Yep. Plus, I'm pretty sure there's a lot of Soundgarden fans out there who'd pay lots of money to hear so much as just one song live again... and not pay attention to whatever nightly arbitrary figure we throw on it.

I don't know, I haven't seen it yet.

BUT, full album, new song, solid classics, stunning visuals? Probably pretty high for some.

I'm pretty pumped for Chicago now. I'm sure there will be some tours I'll prefer over others, but there's enough going on here where there should be some excellent parts regardless.

I think the biggest underlying problem is that in their previous tours, their concerts would really pick up once they launched into their older material. Since this tour is JUST the classics, so I expected the entire show to be one of their best tours. :shrug:

With that being said... The band looks and sounds as great as they've always been- NO signs of slowing down whatsoever. In fact, we should only be so lucky Bono hasn't turned out to either look or sound like many frontmen at his age (sans Jagger).

I think the biggest underlying problem is that in their previous tours, their concerts would really pick up once they launched into their older material. Since this tour is JUST the classics, so I expected the entire show to be one of their best tours. :shrug:

Which previous tours?

And no one ever said anything about this tour being JUST the classics, I think the underlying problem is you went in with the wrong premise.

Which previous tours?

And no one ever said anything about this tour being JUST the classics, I think the underlying problem is you went in with the wrong premise.

Starting with Popmart and on.

In The Edge's interview with Rolling Stone Magazine, he stated "It's funny, sometimes great songs ... Think of a live show as an ecosystem. You've got niches to fill. There are uptempo, fast, dramatic songs and those are crucial. Then there are sort of more medium-tempo songs and no matter how great they are, sometimes you just can't find a place for them."

The point I originally made, and still stick by, is that SBS is a horrible choice to start with, Streets shouldn't be shoved to the 4th song, and putting WOWY in the middle just doesn't make sense. The JT tour is really about celebrating the classics and therefore, they should have had a much stronger way of starting and ending the show without boring the audience. Sure, the whole "playing an album straight' is a cool concept, but in reality it just doesn't work. NOW that we have enough footage of different concerts, I can confidently say they don't look old or bored, but they look like they're trying to make this concept work and failing miserably at it.

Think I'm wrong? Using their setlist (with the exception of their concert killer Miss S.) , this makes more sense when considering the "tempo" of the concert:

1. I Will Follow
2. Exit
3. Trip Through Wires
4. Elevation
5. Beautiful Day
6. New Years Day
7. SBS
8. Still Haven't Found
9. Red Hill
10. God's Country
11. One Tree Hill
12. Bad
13. Bullet
14. Running
15. Streets
16. Pride
17. With Or Without You
---
18. Ultra Violet
19. One
20. Mothers of The Disappeared
21. 40

Here you have a mixup of everything, with the right tempo and you don't slow you concert down with an entire slew of B-tracks in the middle/end of the set.

I've previously made all of these points, so I really don't understand how I went in with the wrong premise.

I'm sure the set lists would be longer if there was no opening band.

21 is enough songs. If missing 3-4 songs helps Bono's voice for future touring, then so be it I have 0 problem with that. I mean look at Axl Rose and Paul Stanley now, we should only be so lucky Bono looks and sounds as good as he does....

Last edited:
The crowd still sings the chorus even when they don't play it, you'd think the lads would get a hint.

What shows have you been going to? I've never heard a spontaneous 40.

But hell, they certainly don't take any hints from signs requesting stuff from Pop, so ...

If they closed with 40 all the time, we'd just bitch about how they never change it up anyway.

But hell, they certainly don't take any hints from signs requesting stuff from Pop, so ...

If they closed with 40 all the time, we'd just bitch about how they never change it up anyway.
Somebody beside me in Pasadena was whispering it but it was faintly audible.

All in Chicago, from Popmart on, with the exception of the IE tour. GA for all but Popmart.

U2 was 30 years ahead of its time with Pop. VERY surprised they haven't started to embrace it; instead they've made the cognitive decision to stay away from it. 360 should have had more songs on Pop, surrounding their bass heavy rendition of I'll Go Crazy....

BUT, I couldn't disagree more with you on 40. It would be extremely symbolic if Larry was the last member to leave the stage. The crowd, no matter how many times they've seen U2 in the passed, will still be singing 40 long after they leave the stadium/arena and THAT is how you are supposed to end a U2 show.

Starting the show with Larry? It was cool for one tour, especially the way they did it.

Last edited:
Starting with Popmart and on.

In The Edge's interview with Rolling Stone Magazine, he stated "It's funny, sometimes great songs ... Think of a live show as an ecosystem. You've got niches to fill. There are uptempo, fast, dramatic songs and those are crucial. Then there are sort of more medium-tempo songs and no matter how great they are, sometimes you just can't find a place for them."

The point I originally made, and still stick by, is that SBS is a horrible choice to start with, Streets shouldn't be shoved to the 4th song, and putting WOWY in the middle just doesn't make sense. The JT tour is really about celebrating the classics and therefore, they should have had a much stronger way of starting and ending the show without boring the audience. Sure, the whole "playing an album straight' is a cool concept, but in reality it just doesn't work. NOW that we have enough footage of different concerts, I can confidently say they don't look old or bored, but they look like they're trying to make this concept work and failing miserably at it.

Think I'm wrong? Using their setlist (with the exception of their concert killer Miss S.) , this makes more sense when considering the "tempo" of the concert:

1. I Will Follow
2. Exit
3. Trip Through Wires
4. Elevation
5. Beautiful Day
6. New Years Day
7. SBS
8. Still Haven't Found
9. Red Hill
10. God's Country
11. One Tree Hill
12. Bad
13. Bullet
14. Running
15. Streets
16. Pride
17. With Or Without You
---
18. Ultra Violet
19. One
20. Mothers of The Disappeared
21. 40

Here you have a mixup of everything, with the right tempo and you don't slow you concert down with an entire slew of B-tracks in the middle/end of the set.

I've previously made all of these points, so I really don't understand how I went in with the wrong premise.

I think you'd be in error saying that Elevation and Vertigo, tours with albums that had hits, were tours that relied on older material for energy.

You had me till Exit, talk about a horrible way to open a show. That setlist doesn't have much of an arc, and you seem a little stuck in the this song has to be here because that's how they've been doing it.

You still think a tour with a whole b-side is being played, a new song, and passenger song is JUST about the classics? That's not the premise.

Pretty much the ONLY thing I agree with you on so far is that IWF would be a good opener.

Back
Top Bottom