This is NOT what we wanted - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > The Joshua Tree 2017 - Tour Central > Set Lists & Songs
Click Here to Login

Old 05-15-2017, 12:51 PM   #46
War Child

Local Time: 04:57 AM
What made me disappointed was that they didn't play the RnH songs, since it was important during the Joshua Tree tour.

Old 05-15-2017, 01:22 PM   #47
Refugee

Local Time: 07:57 AM
Heartland or Hawkmoon would be fantastic

Old 05-15-2017, 02:42 PM   #48
War Child

Local Time: 08:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpsreports2442 View Post
Starting this tour's shows with Sunday Bloody Sunday, tuned farther down to compensate bono's voice- may I add, is the laziest idea they've ever pursued.

IT'S THE JT TOUR! Start the show with Where the Streets Have No Name with the guys rising above the stage (zoo tv style). It's a stadium show; it's logical, gets the crowd excited, and move those songs to the middle of the JT album set so they don't bore non-hardcores with Exit and Trip.

This might possibly be the most uncreative thing the guys have ever done on tour.

There, I said it.

And yes I'll still be attending
Just lay your money down and buy a t shirt.
Old 05-15-2017, 04:35 PM   #49
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

What's this WE kemosabe? Maybe saying what you wanted might be more appropriate? The SBS opening is a bit clunky to me but its way better than Breathe ever was. I have a feeling we will see the set evolve over time. I'm pumped as they're playing one of my all time favorite albums including some rarities like MOTD, Exit and OTH. And also ASOH and MLK... It was great to see Bad show up.
Old 05-15-2017, 06:51 PM   #50
War Child

Local Time: 04:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeVaul View Post
Heartland or Hawkmoon would be fantastic
Yes,I agree with you. I also would like the return of God Part II.
Old 05-15-2017, 06:51 PM   #51
War Child

It's overdue.
Old 05-15-2017, 07:03 PM   #52
Acrobat

Local Time: 11:57 PM
Ladies and gentlemen, the reason for the existence of the phrase "my word"!

https://youtu.be/v8wQh5d1fJs
Old 05-15-2017, 07:59 PM   #53
Refugee

Sbs works well esp for this tour. The crowd is the nostalgia crowd and sbs serves this tours purpose. The crowd seems to love it.

There are lots of other openers that would be better but it works for this tour. Bad was a needed help at the beginning last night but I think the set would be helped by two more songs before jt. Streets is too early in the set and is just lacking something being played so early.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:38 PM   #54
War Child

Local Time: 06:57 AM
I think Ax's comments about SBS' stature are spot on -- it IS a huge, iconic U2 song.

For me this is partially why it seems odd as an opener. Don't think I've ever seen a concert by anyone open with one of their biggest, well known hits right out of the gate.

After watching a few videos, maybe the opening salvo is a bit odd also because it is on the "B Stage", whatever that means... historically the B Stage is for "slow it down time" or "acoustic time" or whatever you want to call it, so it seems a bit out of place.

Maybe some of this is also driven by the desire (no pun intended) to play JT in sequence... JT has a couple of options for traditional B Stage treatment but to do so, you play it out of sequence.

Perhaps just too many variables or ideas and too much going on and it seems a bit out of place or 'off' as someone else opined... it'll be interesting to see if any of this changes.

For what it's worth, I think Gloria would fit the theme nicely as an opener... IMO it's a good to very good U2 song that seems to have fallen off the radar.

To those that have shared and posted videos, thank you... good stuff.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:43 PM   #55
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWU2Buffs View Post
I think Ax's comments about SBS' stature are spot on -- it IS a huge, iconic U2 song.

For me this is partially why it seems odd as an opener. Don't think I've ever seen a concert by anyone open with one of their biggest, well known hits right out of the gate.

After watching a few videos, maybe the opening salvo is a bit odd also because it is on the "B Stage", whatever that means... historically the B Stage is for "slow it down time" or "acoustic time" or whatever you want to call it, so it seems a bit out of place.

Maybe some of this is also driven by the desire (no pun intended) to play JT in sequence... JT has a couple of options for traditional B Stage treatment but to do so, you play it out of sequence.

Perhaps just too many variables or ideas and too much going on and it seems a bit out of place or 'off' as someone else opined... it'll be interesting to see if any of this changes.

For what it's worth, I think Gloria would fit the theme nicely as an opener... IMO it's a good to very good U2 song that seems to have fallen off the radar.

To those that have shared and posted videos, thank you... good stuff.
Gloria is killer. Way better than IWF. Going too chronological is a straight jacket but it might work on two night stands. OOC will creep in as well. IWF didn't take long.
Old 05-16-2017, 02:56 AM   #56
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 12:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by U2387 View Post
A lot of thought always goes into these shows. They almost always think ahead of us and more times than not, they hit the nail on the head. The shows always tell a story.
SBS was fine both nights I saw it in 201. I just think the entire opening has a "I guess this will do" vibe beyond the work needed for ASOH. They tried another opener the week before the Vancouver show.

EVERYTHING about this tour is thrown together. Merch/vidoes/lighting/setlist etc... They didn't even know about it until after x-mas. Corbijn filmed one of the screen videos in the BC Place parking lot 36 hours before opening night.

There's no "story" I can see beyond playing the songs in loose chronological order. Pride/Streets seems to be the only transition that stand outs to me. I still dont' know why the tour exist beyond some vague "more relevant than ever" PR quote fluff and some live nation arm twisting.
Old 05-16-2017, 03:45 AM   #57
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 11:57 PM
Quote:
I don't know, you could probably make a 22-song setlist that's just big, well-known hits! U2 aren't like other bands where they need to pace themselves with their five or six big singles.

Also, I've seen Crowded House open with some of their biggest, well-known hits. They opened all four Sydney shows last year with Mean to Me. If it gives you any idea of how popular that song is in Australia, when I saw them in Melbourne in 2010, it was not on the printed setlist but the entire crowd of ~15,000 started singing it during the encore so the band basically had their arms twisted into playing it.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 05:26 AM   #58
Babyface

-SBS is a classic song; but has no place to be an opener. I expected the band to come out with an attitude, this is weak for a stadium tour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2FanPeter View Post

EVERYTHING about this tour is thrown together. Merch/vidoes/lighting/setlist etc... They didn't even know about it until after x-mas. Corbijn filmed one of the screen videos in the BC Place parking lot 36 hours before opening night.

There's no "story" I can see beyond playing the songs in loose chronological order. Pride/Streets seems to be the only transition that stand outs to me. I still dont' know why the tour exist beyond some vague "more relevant than ever" PR quote fluff and some live nation arm twisting.
-This. With the logistics of planning a stadium tour, it's highly improbably this tour wasn't planned to be the JT tour. I don't like speculating, but it seems they only agreed to do the tour this way was because they get to play songs on the JT album that aren't consistently played on every other tour.

Let's be honest, they weren't going to make a tour celebrating Pop
Old 05-16-2017, 05:34 AM   #59
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by U2FanPeter View Post
SBS was fine both nights I saw it in 201. I just think the entire opening has a "I guess this will do" vibe beyond the work needed for ASOH. They tried another opener the week before the Vancouver show.

Visually speaking you can tell it was very slapped together
Old 05-16-2017, 08:47 AM   #60
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

I've seen a few shows where a band has done it.
2 stand out, Neil Young & Crazy Horse opening with "Hey Hey, My My" and Guns n Roses on the UYI tour opening with "Welcome to the Jungle" (had opened with "Mr. Brownstone" the night before and the difference in reaction was enormous), in both instances they blew the roof off the place right from jump street. Crowd was in an instant frenzy.