This is NOT what we wanted - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > The Joshua Tree 2017 - Tour Central > Set Lists & Songs
Click Here to Login

Old 05-14-2017, 08:02 PM   #31
The Fly

Local Time: 07:02 PM
There is something symbolic for Larry, who set the band in motion years ago, to also set the concert in motion with Sunday. The 5 pre-JT songs in the set are political, which is how the band perceived themselves in the years leading up to JT. The post JT songs in the set are softer love / relationship songs. So I picture U2 is telling us that the JT completely transformed them as a band. To start with Sunday and technically end the show with Miss Sarajevo is a cool idea, both songs concerning war scenarios but created with a completely different style and a completely different look at the world.

Old 05-14-2017, 08:07 PM   #32
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 06:02 PM
^ nice analogy

Old 05-14-2017, 08:53 PM   #33
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 10:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpsreports2442 View Post
Agree to disagree. Regardless if you think its a good song or not, it had the type of energy that opening songs should feel like.
Shit no, I've never seen a song get a more flat reaction opening a stadium show than Breathe. On the first leg it was NLOTH that started to spark the crowd, but they really didn't get going properly until that run of 4 new songs was done. It was no surprise when they gradually cut back on that and shifted to opening with Stingray Guitar/Beautiful Day and then, for the final leg, EBTTRT.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 12:30 AM   #34
The Fly

Local Time: 07:02 AM
Fuck's sake. SBS is the opening track on War, and an opportunity to launch into one of their biggest hits and turn it up to 11 from the word go. That into NYD & ASOH is a terrific, logical and daylight-friendly start.

They haven't even completed their second show yet, and people are complaining. I think the band are nailing the concept, personally.
Old 05-15-2017, 02:23 AM   #35
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonorton View Post
There is something symbolic for Larry, who set the band in motion years ago, to also set the concert in motion with Sunday. The 5 pre-JT songs in the set are political, which is how the band perceived themselves in the years leading up to JT. The post JT songs in the set are softer love / relationship songs. So I picture U2 is telling us that the JT completely transformed them as a band. To start with Sunday and technically end the show with Miss Sarajevo is a cool idea, both songs concerning war scenarios but created with a completely different style and a completely different look at the world.
Excellent post!

Never looked at their political progression like that, but you're absolutely right.

A lot of thought always goes into these shows. They almost always think ahead of us and more times than not, they hit the nail on the head. The shows always tell a story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Shit no, I've never seen a song get a more flat reaction opening a stadium show than Breathe. On the first leg it was NLOTH that started to spark the crowd, but they really didn't get going properly until that run of 4 new songs was done. It was no surprise when they gradually cut back on that and shifted to opening with Stingray Guitar/Beautiful Day and then, for the final leg, EBTTRT.
Absolutely.

I saw the 2009 show in person twice. The first 4 songs killed the vibe and it never quite recovered. Stingray/BD was much better and I thought EBTTRT/I Will Follow into the Achtung songs took the roof off the place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrumpyjsk View Post
Fuck's sake. SBS is the opening track on War, and an opportunity to launch into one of their biggest hits and turn it up to 11 from the word go. That into NYD & ASOH is a terrific, logical and daylight-friendly start.

They haven't even completed their second show yet, and people are complaining. I think the band are nailing the concept, personally.
Exactly!

I'd personally add OOC or IWF but I don't write the set list.

However, I'm able to differentiate between an opening that I'd do differently and an opening that flat doesn't work like Breathe-NLOTH-GOYB-Magnificent before the casuals get anything they know.

SBS works great for the reasons you mentioned and for me, it packed more of a punch than I thought it would emotionally. Especially coming out of the reflective "Rainy night" and going into a song that both represents early U2 and is relevant to the times we face now.

The performances are awesome throughout and the JT set especially is breathtaking.
Old 05-15-2017, 03:14 AM   #36
Refugee

Local Time: 11:02 PM
I wonder what headspace the band really had to get into to even put this idea together. To tour behind no new album and play a old one in its entirety. And i agree with whoever on here said they are looking at the reaction of any new song they play. Its a real crowd pleasing idea of playing this album start to finish . But i just never i would see them go full nostalgia .
Old 05-15-2017, 03:35 AM   #37
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

They can't please everyone
Old 05-15-2017, 04:09 AM   #38
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrumpyjsk View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by U2387 View Post
I'd personally add OOC or IWF but I don't write the set list.

However, I'm able to differentiate between an opening that I'd do differently and an opening that flat doesn't work like Breathe-NLOTH-GOYB-Magnificent before the casuals get anything they know.

SBS works great for the reasons you mentioned and for me, it packed more of a punch than I thought it would emotionally. Especially coming out of the reflective "Rainy night" and going into a song that both represents early U2 and is relevant to the times we face now.
Totally agree with these.

I just can't fathom the mindset that SBS is some sort of flat, low-energy way to start a show. Those opening drums are one of the most powerful, emphatic moments in U2's discography, and one of the most iconic moments in the last few decades of popular music. Almost everybody recognises those few beats. It's MASSIVE. The only real surprise is that it's never been an opener before - U2 didn't open any War shows with a new song, always Gloria or Out of Control.

In an ideal world I'd do OOC/SBS/NYD/ASOH/Pride/Bad and then into JT, but that's really a minor adjustment - one extra song and swapping the positions of two others. The opening salvo as it stands is effective.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 06:07 AM   #39
Blue Crack Addict

The only thing I would change is the last portion of the show after they finish JT.

I'd love for them to come out with the "sound of four men chopping down the JT" and the encore went something like this.....

Zoo Station
Ultraviolet
One
-----
Beautiful Day
Elevation
Little Things
(And the occasional) IWF/OOC ending

I know it doesn't fit the theme the band is going for....but it would be cool. Aside from that there's not a lot that needs changing.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:00 AM   #40
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 05:02 PM
I won't see my show till next week and haven't (and won't) watch any videos but I kind of see the SBS, NYD, & then UF tunes as the gateway to the JT. The foundation of the album. Without SBS or NYD U2 doesn't get recognized. Without UF they don't branch off to the new sound that laid the foundation of the JT.

You could make the argument about IWF or OOC needing to start the show but that was last tour. The post punk phase was about their Innocence Era.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:47 AM   #41
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Totally agree with Axe on this...Breathe was a total flat opening.

Overall the energy in all the set seems a little muted so far, B stage especially songs too.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:19 AM   #42
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I agree that SBS is neither flat or low energy...and in theory it's a good way to start the show. It's a great song, it's an important song for them, and it's rocker.

But opening a show with it feels...I don't know, abrupt to me. Just seems off.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:40 AM   #43
Blue Crack Distributor

I think the thread may have been better titled this is not what you wanted (or, uh, what I wanted... but not I as in me, I as in you. Yea)
Old 05-15-2017, 11:43 AM   #44
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 03:02 PM
SBS as a 'flat' opener in Vancouver could very well have been due to the clusterfuck that was the entry to the venue, which I think left a lot of people pissy and exhausted. It went OFF in Seattle last night.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:44 AM   #45
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
I think the thread may have been better titled this is not what you wanted (or, uh, what I wanted... but not I as in me, I as in you. Yea)
I mean if "we" is referring to Interference than yeah, I don't think they could ever put on a show "we" want because it would involve pretty much their entire catalogue, time travel and god knows what else.