This is NOT what we wanted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There is something symbolic for Larry, who set the band in motion years ago, to also set the concert in motion with Sunday. The 5 pre-JT songs in the set are political, which is how the band perceived themselves in the years leading up to JT. The post JT songs in the set are softer love / relationship songs. So I picture U2 is telling us that the JT completely transformed them as a band. To start with Sunday and technically end the show with Miss Sarajevo is a cool idea, both songs concerning war scenarios but created with a completely different style and a completely different look at the world.

Agree to disagree. Regardless if you think its a good song or not, it had the type of energy that opening songs should feel like.

Shit no, I've never seen a song get a more flat reaction opening a stadium show than Breathe. On the first leg it was NLOTH that started to spark the crowd, but they really didn't get going properly until that run of 4 new songs was done. It was no surprise when they gradually cut back on that and shifted to opening with Stingray Guitar/Beautiful Day and then, for the final leg, EBTTRT.

Fuck's sake. SBS is the opening track on War, and an opportunity to launch into one of their biggest hits and turn it up to 11 from the word go. That into NYD & ASOH is a terrific, logical and daylight-friendly start.

They haven't even completed their second show yet, and people are complaining. I think the band are nailing the concept, personally.

There is something symbolic for Larry, who set the band in motion years ago, to also set the concert in motion with Sunday. The 5 pre-JT songs in the set are political, which is how the band perceived themselves in the years leading up to JT. The post JT songs in the set are softer love / relationship songs. So I picture U2 is telling us that the JT completely transformed them as a band. To start with Sunday and technically end the show with Miss Sarajevo is a cool idea, both songs concerning war scenarios but created with a completely different style and a completely different look at the world.

Excellent post!

Never looked at their political progression like that, but you're absolutely right.

A lot of thought always goes into these shows. They almost always think ahead of us and more times than not, they hit the nail on the head. The shows always tell a story.

Shit no, I've never seen a song get a more flat reaction opening a stadium show than Breathe. On the first leg it was NLOTH that started to spark the crowd, but they really didn't get going properly until that run of 4 new songs was done. It was no surprise when they gradually cut back on that and shifted to opening with Stingray Guitar/Beautiful Day and then, for the final leg, EBTTRT.

Absolutely.

I saw the 2009 show in person twice. The first 4 songs killed the vibe and it never quite recovered. Stingray/BD was much better and I thought EBTTRT/I Will Follow into the Achtung songs took the roof off the place.

Fuck's sake. SBS is the opening track on War, and an opportunity to launch into one of their biggest hits and turn it up to 11 from the word go. That into NYD & ASOH is a terrific, logical and daylight-friendly start.

They haven't even completed their second show yet, and people are complaining. I think the band are nailing the concept, personally.

Exactly!

I'd personally add OOC or IWF but I don't write the set list.

However, I'm able to differentiate between an opening that I'd do differently and an opening that flat doesn't work like Breathe-NLOTH-GOYB-Magnificent before the casuals get anything they know.

SBS works great for the reasons you mentioned and for me, it packed more of a punch than I thought it would emotionally. Especially coming out of the reflective "Rainy night" and going into a song that both represents early U2 and is relevant to the times we face now.

The performances are awesome throughout and the JT set especially is breathtaking.

I wonder what headspace the band really had to get into to even put this idea together. To tour behind no new album and play a old one in its entirety. And i agree with whoever on here said they are looking at the reaction of any new song they play. Its a real crowd pleasing idea of playing this album start to finish . But i just never i would see them go full nostalgia .

I'd personally add OOC or IWF but I don't write the set list.

However, I'm able to differentiate between an opening that I'd do differently and an opening that flat doesn't work like Breathe-NLOTH-GOYB-Magnificent before the casuals get anything they know.

SBS works great for the reasons you mentioned and for me, it packed more of a punch than I thought it would emotionally. Especially coming out of the reflective "Rainy night" and going into a song that both represents early U2 and is relevant to the times we face now.

Totally agree with these.

I just can't fathom the mindset that SBS is some sort of flat, low-energy way to start a show. Those opening drums are one of the most powerful, emphatic moments in U2's discography, and one of the most iconic moments in the last few decades of popular music. Almost everybody recognises those few beats. It's MASSIVE. The only real surprise is that it's never been an opener before - U2 didn't open any War shows with a new song, always Gloria or Out of Control.

In an ideal world I'd do OOC/SBS/NYD/ASOH/Pride/Bad and then into JT, but that's really a minor adjustment - one extra song and swapping the positions of two others. The opening salvo as it stands is effective.

The only thing I would change is the last portion of the show after they finish JT.

I'd love for them to come out with the "sound of four men chopping down the JT" and the encore went something like this.....

Zoo Station
Ultraviolet
One
-----
Beautiful Day
Elevation
Little Things
(And the occasional) IWF/OOC ending

I know it doesn't fit the theme the band is going for....but it would be cool. Aside from that there's not a lot that needs changing.

I won't see my show till next week and haven't (and won't) watch any videos but I kind of see the SBS, NYD, & then UF tunes as the gateway to the JT. The foundation of the album. Without SBS or NYD U2 doesn't get recognized. Without UF they don't branch off to the new sound that laid the foundation of the JT.

You could make the argument about IWF or OOC needing to start the show but that was last tour. The post punk phase was about their Innocence Era.

Totally agree with Axe on this...Breathe was a total flat opening.

Overall the energy in all the set seems a little muted so far, B stage especially songs too.

I agree that SBS is neither flat or low energy...and in theory it's a good way to start the show. It's a great song, it's an important song for them, and it's rocker.

But opening a show with it feels...I don't know, abrupt to me. Just seems off.

SBS as a 'flat' opener in Vancouver could very well have been due to the clusterfuck that was the entry to the venue, which I think left a lot of people pissy and exhausted. It went OFF in Seattle last night.

I think the thread may have been better titled this is not what you wanted (or, uh, what I wanted... but not I as in me, I as in you. Yea)

I mean if "we" is referring to Interference than yeah, I don't think they could ever put on a show "we" want because it would involve pretty much their entire catalogue, time travel and god knows what else.

Last edited:
What made me disappointed was that they didn't play the RnH songs, since it was important during the Joshua Tree tour.

Starting this tour's shows with Sunday Bloody Sunday, tuned farther down to compensate bono's voice- may I add, is the laziest idea they've ever pursued.

IT'S THE JT TOUR! Start the show with Where the Streets Have No Name with the guys rising above the stage (zoo tv style). It's a stadium show; it's logical, gets the crowd excited, and move those songs to the middle of the JT album set so they don't bore non-hardcores with Exit and Trip.

This might possibly be the most uncreative thing the guys have ever done on tour.

There, I said it. :crack:

And yes I'll still be attending
Just lay your money down and buy a t shirt.

What's this WE kemosabe? Maybe saying what you wanted might be more appropriate? The SBS opening is a bit clunky to me but its way better than Breathe ever was. I have a feeling we will see the set evolve over time. I'm pumped as they're playing one of my all time favorite albums including some rarities like MOTD, Exit and OTH. And also ASOH and MLK... It was great to see Bad show up.

Sbs works well esp for this tour. The crowd is the nostalgia crowd and sbs serves this tours purpose. The crowd seems to love it.

There are lots of other openers that would be better but it works for this tour. Bad was a needed help at the beginning last night but I think the set would be helped by two more songs before jt. Streets is too early in the set and is just lacking something being played so early.

I think Ax's comments about SBS' stature are spot on -- it IS a huge, iconic U2 song.

For me this is partially why it seems odd as an opener. Don't think I've ever seen a concert by anyone open with one of their biggest, well known hits right out of the gate.

After watching a few videos, maybe the opening salvo is a bit odd also because it is on the "B Stage", whatever that means... historically the B Stage is for "slow it down time" or "acoustic time" or whatever you want to call it, so it seems a bit out of place.

Maybe some of this is also driven by the desire (no pun intended) to play JT in sequence... JT has a couple of options for traditional B Stage treatment but to do so, you play it out of sequence.

Perhaps just too many variables or ideas and too much going on and it seems a bit out of place or 'off' as someone else opined... it'll be interesting to see if any of this changes.

For what it's worth, I think Gloria would fit the theme nicely as an opener... IMO it's a good to very good U2 song that seems to have fallen off the radar.

To those that have shared and posted videos, thank you... good stuff.

I think Ax's comments about SBS' stature are spot on -- it IS a huge, iconic U2 song.

For me this is partially why it seems odd as an opener. Don't think I've ever seen a concert by anyone open with one of their biggest, well known hits right out of the gate.

After watching a few videos, maybe the opening salvo is a bit odd also because it is on the "B Stage", whatever that means... historically the B Stage is for "slow it down time" or "acoustic time" or whatever you want to call it, so it seems a bit out of place.

Maybe some of this is also driven by the desire (no pun intended) to play JT in sequence... JT has a couple of options for traditional B Stage treatment but to do so, you play it out of sequence.

Perhaps just too many variables or ideas and too much going on and it seems a bit out of place or 'off' as someone else opined... it'll be interesting to see if any of this changes.

For what it's worth, I think Gloria would fit the theme nicely as an opener... IMO it's a good to very good U2 song that seems to have fallen off the radar.

To those that have shared and posted videos, thank you... good stuff.
Gloria is killer. Way better than IWF. Going too chronological is a straight jacket but it might work on two night stands. OOC will creep in as well. IWF didn't take long.

A lot of thought always goes into these shows. They almost always think ahead of us and more times than not, they hit the nail on the head. The shows always tell a story.

SBS was fine both nights I saw it in 201. I just think the entire opening has a "I guess this will do" vibe beyond the work needed for ASOH. They tried another opener the week before the Vancouver show.

EVERYTHING about this tour is thrown together. Merch/vidoes/lighting/setlist etc... They didn't even know about it until after x-mas. Corbijn filmed one of the screen videos in the BC Place parking lot 36 hours before opening night.

There's no "story" I can see beyond playing the songs in loose chronological order. Pride/Streets seems to be the only transition that stand outs to me. I still dont' know why the tour exist beyond some vague "more relevant than ever" PR quote fluff and some live nation arm twisting.

I don't know, you could probably make a 22-song setlist that's just big, well-known hits! U2 aren't like other bands where they need to pace themselves with their five or six big singles.

Also, I've seen Crowded House open with some of their biggest, well-known hits. They opened all four Sydney shows last year with Mean to Me. If it gives you any idea of how popular that song is in Australia, when I saw them in Melbourne in 2010, it was not on the printed setlist but the entire crowd of ~15,000 started singing it during the encore so the band basically had their arms twisted into playing it.

-SBS is a classic song; but has no place to be an opener. I expected the band to come out with an attitude, this is weak for a stadium tour.

EVERYTHING about this tour is thrown together. Merch/vidoes/lighting/setlist etc... They didn't even know about it until after x-mas. Corbijn filmed one of the screen videos in the BC Place parking lot 36 hours before opening night.

There's no "story" I can see beyond playing the songs in loose chronological order. Pride/Streets seems to be the only transition that stand outs to me. I still dont' know why the tour exist beyond some vague "more relevant than ever" PR quote fluff and some live nation arm twisting.

-This. With the logistics of planning a stadium tour, it's highly improbably this tour wasn't planned to be the JT tour. I don't like speculating, but it seems they only agreed to do the tour this way was because they get to play songs on the JT album that aren't consistently played on every other tour.

Let's be honest, they weren't going to make a tour celebrating Pop :wink:

SBS was fine both nights I saw it in 201. I just think the entire opening has a "I guess this will do" vibe beyond the work needed for ASOH. They tried another opener the week before the Vancouver show.

Visually speaking you can tell it was very slapped together :rolleyes:

I've seen a few shows where a band has done it.
2 stand out, Neil Young & Crazy Horse opening with "Hey Hey, My My" and Guns n Roses on the UYI tour opening with "Welcome to the Jungle" (had opened with "Mr. Brownstone" the night before and the difference in reaction was enormous), in both instances they blew the roof off the place right from jump street. Crowd was in an instant frenzy.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom