pre-recorded warm up music before U2 hits the stage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We got to hear a smidge of Radiohead's Burn The Witch before they decided everyone was finally in, and the Pogues song started.

Also heard Christine and the Queens (I think it's called Twisted), and a Van Morrison song, but I'm blanking on which one it was. It also played after house lights came up at the end.

Always love the pre recorded music before a U2 show. Who do you think picks it? Think the band give input? I have a feeling they might.

I assume you mean, "All the Young Dudes"? And is it really Bowie's version or the Mott the Hoople version?

Yes. At least for now! They changed the intro song on I&E after a few shows, so ... who knows.

Before Mumford went on they played the first 7 songs off Kendrick Lamar's DAMN. and I was getting hyped but the old people around me were not feeling it

I'll make alist for the show tonight. Definitely another Prince tracks.

Some of the hipster/rap stuff blurs together on me but I'll write down a couple lyrics.

i like rainy night in soho - but i agree, it's an odd choice. i wonder if there's a specific reason behind it... like dennis sheehan loved it or something like that. otherwise.. yea, i don't really get it.

The Pogues were a supporting act on the original Joshua Tree tour, so that could be part of it.

I think rainy night is a great intro song. To me it's all about aging and living in the now, while in a relationship that has lasted decades. Kinda fits U2 don't you think? Also the Irish instrumental part as Larry walks on. Perfect

I'll make alist for the show tonight. Definitely another Prince tracks.

Some of the hipster/rap stuff blurs together on me but I'll write down a couple lyrics.

I was going to say that the Shazam app might come in handy here if the music was loud enough and someone had enough battery life on their phone.

Before the clipped Radiohead song sounded like Future Islands new song.. what a band.

some new/repeats intro songs:

Television Marquee Moon(bunch of tracks from that)
new XX(many tracks)
--------mumford-------
Future islands - 2017 album first single?
more xx
Nick Cave(Janet/Dream Planet lyric)
some hipster band doing Guns of Brixton(The Clash)
Smashing Pumpkins - 1979
New Order - Transmission
Lana Del Rey - Summertime Sadness
Bowie -Love is Lost
Radiohead - Burn the Witch?
Kendrick(many tracks)
Depeche Mode - Where's the Revolution?
some hipster instrumental
Smiths - how Soon is Now?
Pogues Soho
-------------------U2-------------
(I was just outside the venue when IWF started so skipped the outro songs)

Here is an article from U2songs.com about the pre-show music:
u2songs | #U2TheJoshuaTree2017 Pre-Show Songs |

I believe the correct title of the Van Morrison song is And It Stoned Me (from Moondance). Furthermore, in Vancouver the Bowie songs were All The Young Dudes (it did not sound like Mott The Hoople to me) and The Stars Are Out Tonight (so not Love Is Lost).

Furthermore, in Vancouver the Bowie songs were All The Young Dudes (it did not sound like Mott The Hoople to me) and The Stars Are Out Tonight (so not Love Is Lost).

2 DB vocal songs in Vancouver, only LIL from DB in Seattle.

Both acts went on late in Vancouver so more songs were needed.

Cars by Gary Numan played late in Dallas, just 2-3 songs before Pogues.

In both Dallas and Houston I heard numerous tracks from New Gold Dream by Simple Minds. In fact I think some might even have been repeated in Dallas. (Maybe, maybe not.)

How Soon Is Now was played and turned into a crowd singalong, it was awesome

Back
Top Bottom