Pasadena 2 Setlist Party: Better Than the Billboard Music Awards

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ha yeah, realized I goofed after I posted.

Yeah I always miss songs when i skim a setlist if the snippet's written first. Yet I don't see "America" and think that's the song they played for some reason..:lol:

Oh i am hoping for a longer set and ASOH, Bad (and end with 40) at Metlife 2. But i am allways happy to be able to see my fav band regardless. But never liked Miss Sarajevo, play Your Blue Room from passangers instead.

Well it was kind of exciting wondering how the show would be changed up, but all in all I'd say this is the worst setlist so far.

1. No ASOH. Baffling.
2. Just 21 songs.
3. Totally lopsided feel with a 2-song encore and then a 5-song one.
4. Miss Sarajevo is not a good encore opener.
5. Little Things should be in the set, but not a closer. Need either energy or familiarity at the end, preferably both in the form of I Will Follow.

Still pretty great to have side 2 of JT and Bad, but geez I'd be pissed if I only went tonight rather than last night.

Before one bono used the words 'luminous' and 'times' in consecutive sentences, hah.

I'm on the train listening to someone say he watched the streets rooftop gig back in 87.

MS worked fine to open the encore.

Bono started talking about women before elevation which was a bit odd, I was sure they were going straight into ultraviolet. Wonder if that's how it was on the setlist.

When Larry was shown on screen again, the setlist was visible but I forgot to study it in time.

MS worked fine to open the encore.

Bono started talking about women before elevation which was a bit odd, I was sure they were going straight into ultraviolet. Wonder if that's how it was on the setlist.

When Larry was shown on screen again, the setlist was visible but I forgot to study it in time.

They followed the printed setlist.

And Bono's included women in his little blurb linking BD and Elevation at the previous shows.

I must've missed that yesterday while planning my sitdown elevation protest ;)

Another thing - they played the pogues without black hole sun before it. I thought they mightve looked at how it was received last night and reverse it but nope.

So I did the legwork and in terms of number of songs, this is the shortest U2 show in over a decade. They haven't done a show with fewer than 22 songs since 24 November 2006, Auckland, when they also did 21 songs.

It was fairly common to have just 19 songs at Elevation Tour shows, but since then gigs with fewer than 22 songs are very rare. There was one with 20 on Vertigo's third leg, and handful with 21 sprinkled across the tour. Otherwise, every 360 and IE Tour gig, and almost every Vertigo Tour gig, has had 22 or more, with the most being 27 at some second-leg IE Tour shows just eighteen months ago.

ahhhhh all that needed was shine like stars to be amazing.... Still pretty good though, best of the tour so far.
A bunch of us on Adams side were holding up signs requesting it. Bono smiled and partially obliged. It may be the closest I ever get to it. I can live with that. It was definitely a snippet of the snippet if nothing else.
Haha, oops, Bono's harmonica wasn't working correctly.
I think he was holding it backwards....
And did Bono just say let's see what Mrs.The Edge is doing while watching the screen during Trip Through Your Wires
Last night the video of her with the lasso was on his right, but tonight it didn't show up, so he couldn't give his little monolog about her being sexy. Then he finally turned and saw she was on the other screen [emoji38]
"When we come back, it'll be about the future." A reference to SoE, I'm assuming. Though I took his reference to mean "the next time we come back to California" as in on the next tour, as opposed to when they return from the break between songs.
He said, "when we come back *long pause * in about 4 minutes, it'll be the future." because they were about to take another encore break.

I'll give em this... At least they acknowledge there were some issues and are trying to mix up the order.

They messed it up by taking Homecoming out, but hopefully they settle in shortly.

But we need to be increasing the number of songs here, not decreasing. The last show I saw at MetLife, also a celebration of a classic album, was 4 hours long. The main, pre-encore set was longer than the entire Joshua Tree concert. I know I'll never get that from U2, but come on... 2:15 to 2:30 should be easy for these guys, especially at the prices they're charging.

An hour 45 is not good

Perhaps they're playing shorter shows to allow time to finish SoE?

RD mentioned Andy Barlow is with them now (or at least was in the days leading up to and including the Vancouver shows), so they're likely still recording/tinkering as we speak.

Maybe shorter sets help Bono's voice, or just generally gives them a little more time and energy to record around shows?

Perhaps they're playing shorter shows to allow time to finish SoE?

RD mentioned Andy Barlow is with them now (or at least was in the days leading up to and including the Vancouver shows), so they're likely still recording/tinkering as we speak.

Maybe shorter sets help Bono's voice, or just generally gives them a little more time and energy to record around shows?
I mean... They've got two shows this week, a couple of songs on Kimmel, and then a week off. If Bono needs to shorten a set to save his voice with that little going on over the next two weeks he's got bigger issues than set length.

Plus everyone listening thought his voice sounded great.

And if it's an issue? Fine... put some songs that are less straining on the voice. I don't think anyone would be upset with The Fly making am appearance

I mean... They've got two shows this week, a couple of songs on Kimmel, and then a week off. If Bono needs to shorten a set to save his voice with that little going on over the next two weeks he's got bigger issues than set length.

Plus everyone listening thought his voice sounded great.

And if it's an issue? Fine... put some songs that are less straining on the voice. I don't think anyone would be upset with The Fly making am appearance

Hmm, that's true. I guess one could argue his voice sounds so good because he's conserving it a little by shortening the sets, but like you say, it's not exactly a busy schedule they have lined up over the next couple weeks. A little odd.

That's a funny idea. You think that if they play 1-2 songs less .. that would buy them more time to finish SOE ? In the evening from midnight to 2 AM every 2nd night? Yes .. that's what you mean ? :)

Well, the benefit doesn't have to be the hours immediately after the show. Maybe a shorter set with few/no extra songs rotated in means a little less time rehearsing or brainstorming. Time which they can spend recording.

It might seem like a negligible benefit to us, but maybe it helps them, especially if they've got an album they've publicly declared is coming out this year, but have a stadium tour to complete at the same time. Every little bit might help :shrug:

And maybe Bono really does feel that getting the very best vocals both for recording and for these shows requires a compromise of slightly shorter sets.

... Though to be fair, they were recording SoE during the I&E tour and doing 24/25-song shows, so there goes my theory out the window :wink:

Time to bring back Things to Make and Do and play the live debut of Boomerang I. And Adam can have a mini-set of Endless Deep and Race Against Time.

Time to bring back Things to Make and Do and play the live debut of Boomerang I. And Adam can have a mini-set of Endless Deep and Race Against Time.

I've wanted to hear Beach Sequence live for awhile now.

Band was in fine form last night.

Miss Sarajevo is much better where it was last night than at the end. Segway into Ultraviolet and you've got an awesome 1-2.

Timewise, it was around 1:55 both nights. When was the last time they had multiple shows in a row in the 1:50s? The original JT tour? More on that in the review thread when it comes up.

Tonight was the night Elevation stopped working. I had liked it live, but last night it didn't appear the crowd took it in at all.

I was near the top of section 17, and a shocking number of people left at the second pause.

Back
Top Bottom