Joshua tree set list speculation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The reality of what we want to see will be a lot different then what we actually see.

Looking back to the original tour they played a lot of early songs and covers as well as the occasional B side.

I think we get the full album with maybe songs that compliment it. I hope I'm wrong as I want to see that same fire return to the stage but we get the album and that's awesome.

I've been waiting for Exit to make a reappearance to U2's live set so that alone is a treat :hyper:

Then again the boys have surprised us before so we just have to wait and find out. :applaud:

No way they play b-sides except for maybe Spanish eyes in Spain. (I don't think sweetest thing counts as a b-side since it was released as a single). Edge has already hinted that it's going to be Joshua Tree + hits. He said they see the Joshua Tree 2nd side as deep cuts and will only ever play a handful of songs that fit that category.

It's going to be a greatest hits first set, Joshua Tree and then an encore of hits. Anyone expecting b-sides or long unplayed songs (outside of jt) is going to be disappointed.

Edge also mentioned a blank canvas. Even if Edge Lies, it'd be surprising if the setlist doesn't change much for the entire tour (even ZooTV and Popmart weren't fully static).

Party Girl has only missed Popmart since it came out.

Edge also mentioned a blank canvas. Even if Edge Lies, it'd be surprising if the setlist doesn't change much for the entire tour (even ZooTV and Popmart weren't fully static).

Party Girl has only missed Popmart since it came out.

Edge's statement of a blank canvas to me means quite simply we may get a couple surprises. I wouldn't expect the sun, the moon, & the stars

But maybe a few stars :)

I think that the Charles Manson line was embarrassing then, but has aged well. Let's face it, much of what they did and said back then was a little cringe worthy and nauseatingly pompous and up their own asses.

"U2 and you are bigger than this place"

"Tear gas... I thought there were enough tears in this song?"

And that's just from one show...

Last edited:
a little cringe worthy and nauseatingly pompous and up their own asses.

Immediately thought of this one:

"So I cross the open fields, I see the sky ripped open, and I find myself in the city of Melbourne...with enough powerful ammunition to blow the President of the United Stated to Kingdom Come!...or the President of the Soviet Union...or the Prime Minister of Australia for that matter. There's another law that operates in this building...a law we call LOVE...and that isn't a 'flower in the hair' kind of Love...it aint the hippy dippy 1969 kind of love...it's a new hard as a stone, it's made of concrete and steel, and it's going to change things in the future if we want to."

THIS DAY - U2'S HISTORY

Judging by the rumours, it is pretty certain that Mysterious Ways will be played in this tour. Is there any way we can convince U2 to bring back the epic slide solo to make the song great again live ? A fan-petition perhaps ?

I was little bit away and was unaware of Adam's set list preview. They are really going to play PLEASE ?! Full band version ?! Then I am fully satisfied about this tour. Now the whole world who unjustly hated POP album and POPMART tour will know how wrong they were. PLEASE was the showstopper then and Will be showstopper now.

I'd suggest a sit sown protest during the show.

Please do this if this type of disrespect is needed to bring back that solo. But, I think an organized fan effort several months before the tour begins is important to make this happen. AndrewCowley..... will you please take an initiative. Or... will you please tell me how to start a fan-petition ?

I was little bit away and was unaware of Adam's set list preview. They are really going to play PLEASE ?! Full band version ?! Then I am fully satisfied about this tour. Now the whole world who unjustly hated POP album and POPMART tour will know how wrong they were. PLEASE was the showstopper then and Will be showstopper now.

Please isn't mentioned anywhere.

has anyone been able to decipher the songs above Streets? If they're serious about the political edge to this tour there ought to be some tracks from War at least, and Please too.

'Start' with the politics/crazy world/hits stuff, end with a re-ordered JT in full

1. Desire
2. Vertigo
3. Numb
4. Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
5. Staring At The Sun
6. Beautiful Day
7. New Year's Day
8. Sunday Bloody Sunday
9. Raised By Wolves
10. Bad
11. Mothers Of The Disappeared
12. In God's Country
13. Trip Through Your Wires
14. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
15. Red Hill Mining Town (maybe acoustic)
16. Sweetest Thing (acoustic)
17. Running To Stand Still (acoustic)
18. Bullet The Blue Sky
19. Exit
20. One Tree Hill
21. Where The Streets Have No Name
22. With Or Without You
*encore break*
23. The Fly
24. Mysterious Ways
25. One
26. Pride

I would wager that "Please" is actually "Pride" in that photo from Adam.

I can see where the confusion would be, but Pride makes more sense in terms of "we're playing TJT & the hits," and fits the chronological flow of what people are speculating is the first half of the set.

I would wager that "Please" is actually "Pride" in that photo from Adam.

I can see where the confusion would be, but Pride makes more sense in terms of "we're playing TJT & the hits," and fits the chronological flow of what people are speculating is the first half of the set.

You mean from the top left of this photo, or is there another photo I've missed? If it's that one, it looks impossibly blurry to conclude anything without a pattern to go on.

Last edited:
No way they play b-sides except for maybe Spanish eyes in Spain. (I don't think sweetest thing counts as a b-side since it was released as a single). Edge has already hinted that it's going to be Joshua Tree + hits. He said they see the Joshua Tree 2nd side as deep cuts and will only ever play a handful of songs that fit that category.

It's going to be a greatest hits first set, Joshua Tree and then an encore of hits. Anyone expecting b-sides or long unplayed songs (outside of jt) is going to be disappointed.

We're already getting nightly performances of rarities (IGC, OTH, MOTD) and revivals of songs that haven't been played in ~30 years (Trip, Exit) AND the live debut of a 30 year old song. They might put in more surprises, but I think we're set already on revivals/rarities.

I think its a good setlist !!! Alot of older tunes !!!
:applaud:
Thanks Adam Clayton for this preview!

11 O clock tic toc
I Will Follow//Out Of Control
Gloria
October-NYD
Sunday Bloody Sunday
A Sort Of Homecoming
The Unforgettable Fire
Please
(break)
The JT set
(break)
City Of Blinding Lights//Vertigo
MLK/Bad
All I Want Is You
One//40

What is then the above thing ? U21978MAN's made up set list ?

Judging by the rumours, it is pretty certain that Mysterious Ways will be played in this tour. Is there any way we can convince U2 to bring back the epic slide solo to make the song great again live ? A fan-petition perhaps ?

Where are you reading/ creating these rumors?

I'll make another attempt based on the short encore being all that is remaining after the JT set:

1. Out of control
2. I will follow
3. Vertigo
4. Beautiful day
5. Until the end of the world
6. New Year's Day
7. Sunday Bloody Sunday
8. Raised by wolves
9. Pride
10. Gloria
11. A Sort of homecoming
12. Bad/40
13. Where the streets have no name
14. Still Haven't Found
15. With or without you
16. Bullet the blue sky
17. Running to standstill
18. Red hill mining town
19. In God's country
20. Trip through your wires
21. One tree hill
22. Exit
23. Mothers of the disappeared
Encore
24. Even better than the real thing
25. Mysterious ways
26. One
27. Walk On

-As we all know, Vertigo and BD are likely to be locks.

-UTTEOTW should make it as it's always a show stopper.

- RBW should make it as it was the strongest live song from SOI. It also fits with the early 80s U2- sonically and thematically.

So the first set does 2 things:

1. Says "We're a band from the North side of Dublin called the U2 and this is how we got here" much like the innocence set from the I&E tour.

2. Perhaps gets the angry political commentary out of the way early. NYD could be used to comment on Russia and the Putin/Trump nexus. SBS and RBW could keep some Ireland graphics from I&E and maybe mix in some ISIS attacks/Syria/Iraq/refugee images. Pride should comment even more stridently on the refugee crisis and the resurgence of white supremacy and hard right ideology in the US and Europe.

- The Joshua Tree set is as the album was intended. A mostly subtle, gentle commentary on America and an exploration of its music, culture and ideas that inspire the world. As for the angrier songs- Bullet could highlight the alt-right/nazi/white extremist danger and Exit could highlight the lack of care for the mentally ill.

-The encore shows the transition from JT to AB. We have some fun with Real Thing and Mysterious Ways and leave on a hopeful, uplifting note with One and Walk On.

I think that's probably close to what we'll get, except for three things:

A Sort of Homecoming is my pipe dream, but I doubt they'll touch it.

I don't know why so many people here think Raised By Wolves will be played, especially as the only representative from SOI. It may be played on a resumed IE Tour because of its strength live, but I promise you, if anything is played from SOI it will be The Miracle or Every Breaking Wave.

And I expect the closer will be 40, not Walk On. After 360 I'm completely over Walk On and wouldn't mind if it didn't come back for a good while.

Do we think there'll be an I+E-styled intermission again? If JT is played in full in the second half, that leaves maybe 2-3 songs tops to be played before Streets.

Past segues into Streets:
JT87 - None (mostly opened the main set/encore, some shows with Stand By Me or Bullet beforehand which I'm assuming didn't involve a segue)
Lovetown - None (AIWIY usually played beforehand, but a clean break between the two)
ZooTV - RTSS
Popmart - Please
Elevation - Bad/AIWIY (except for Please on 2001-10-19)
Vertigo - Pride
360 (earlier shows) - Tutu video
360 (later shows) - various snippets (Amazing Grace + others)
I+E leg 1 (US) - Mother & Child Reunion snippet
I+E leg 2 (EU) - Zooropa

Apart from that sole Please/Streets segue on Elevation, they haven't repeated themselves across tours.

Crazy that apart from Zooropa, there hasn't been a good segue into Streets since 2001, yet across ZooTV, Popmart, and Elevation, that was a defining part of the show.

Please/Streets would be perfect to revive as political commentary. If they don't play JT in order, WOWY or One Tree Hill would provide excellent transitions.

But I have always, always wanted to hear A Sort of Homecoming into Streets. It would be fucking perfect.

I could see them changing the setlists between the US and Europe... Didn't they do that on Vertigo to make sure City of Blinding Lights started when it was dark out?

The latest sunset they'll have in the US will be 8:21 in Cleveland. Certainly doable to open with Streets and have the red screens, if that's what they wanted to do.

Europe with sunsets close to 9:30 would present an issue anyway you slice it up with the screens

In Toronto, the daylight is a non-issue since the Rogers Centre has a retractable roof.

I take it that Bono won't be playing guitar on this tour?

Not sure if that affects any song choices or if "underworld" crew will pick up the slack.

Back
Top Bottom