Joshua tree set list speculation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here's my take at this. I feel like Sunday Bloody Sunday and New Years Day are going to be included but not sure where. I also think the band will do a nod to Pop somehow.

##

Zoo Station (Snippet)/Desire
Gloria OR Out of Control OR I Will Follow OR Electric Co.
Elevation
Vertigo
Until The End of The World
Every Breaking Wave
Please/When I Look At the World
Where The Streets Have No Name
I Still Haven’t Found/Stand By Me
With or Without You
XXX (Snippet)/Bullet the Blue Sky
Running to Stand Still
Red Hill Mining Town
Trip Through Your Wires
One Tree Hill
Exit/Van Morrison Gloria
Mothers of the Disappeared/Moment of Surrender (Snippet)
One/Hear Us Coming
Beautiful Day
Pride

ENCORE
Mysterious Ways OR The Fly OR EBTTRT
Angel Of Harlem
Sweetest Thing OR Staring at the Sun
All I Want Is You/Love Rescue Me (Snippet)
Bad/40

Does anybody hope that they DON'T play TJT in sequence? My next favorite band after U2 is Yellowcard (RIP, last concert was in March) and one of the last shows they played was an Ocean Avenue show in which they played the album front to back and then did greatest hits at the end. It was a solid show, but playing the album in sequence definitely took a lot of tension out of the room in terms of anticipating what song might come next because... well, we all knew what song was coming next.

I'm not sure how they'd incorporate spreading them throughout the show if they are going to do a more thematic, linear/narrative-based show, but it certainly does remove some of the suspense.

(I know this is a minor point in an age when we can all just look up the setlist beforehand and us diehards know how most nights are going to play out, but still)
Yea... as everyone already knows what U2 will play each night regardless, I don't see this as much of an issue .

(The Ladder/ Where the Streets Have No Name) or (Where the Streets Have No Name/ The Ladder) = me exploding.

Last edited:
Here's my take at this. I feel like Sunday Bloody Sunday and New Years Day are going to be included but not sure where. I also think the band will do a nod to Pop somehow.

##

Zoo Station (Snippet)/Desire
Gloria OR Out of Control OR I Will Follow OR Electric Co.
Elevation
Vertigo
Until The End of The World
Every Breaking Wave
Please/When I Look At the World
Where The Streets Have No Name
I Still Haven’t Found/Stand By Me
With or Without You
XXX (Snippet)/Bullet the Blue Sky
Running to Stand Still
Red Hill Mining Town
Trip Through Your Wires
One Tree Hill
Exit/Van Morrison Gloria
Mothers of the Disappeared/Moment of Surrender (Snippet)
One/Hear Us Coming
Beautiful Day
Pride

ENCORE
Mysterious Ways OR The Fly OR EBTTRT
Angel Of Harlem
Sweetest Thing OR Staring at the Sun
All I Want Is You/Love Rescue Me (Snippet)
Bad/40

If they open with Zoo Station this will be perfection

1. Vertigo
2 - 12. The Joshua Tree

Encore

13. Ordinary Love
14. Vertigo

1. Lucille
2 - 12. The Joshua Tree.
13. Singing in the Rain/Rain (outro)
[rain, hail or shine]

[40 minute intermission, people already start leaving]

14. Redemption Song
15. Acrobat

Last edited:
1. Vertigo
2. Stuck in a Moment
3. Ordinary Love
4. Volcano
5. Sweetest Thing
6. Desire (acoustic)
7. In a Little While
8. One
9. Beautiful Day
10. Every Breaking Wave (piano)
11. Elevation

12-22. Joshua Tree

23. Mother And Child Reunion
24. Stand By Me
25. People Have The Power

1. Vertigo
2. Stuck in a Moment
3. Ordinary Love
4. Volcano
5. Sweetest Thing
6. Desire (acoustic)
7. In a Little While
8. One
9. Beautiful Day
10. Every Breaking Wave (piano)
11. Elevation

12-22. Joshua Tree

23. Mother And Child Reunion
24. Stand By Me
25. People Have The Power

Oh please fuck no to at least half of 1-11

1. Vertigo
2-12. Joshua Tree
13. Crumbs
14. Elevation
15. Every Breaking Wave
16. Love and Peace or Else
17. One Step Closer
18. Beautiful Day

19. Miracle Drug
20. SYCMIOYO
21. One

22. All Because of You
23. Yahweh

By playing the entire Joshua Tree they mask the fact that the shows are really for a HTDAAB 13 Year Anniversary Tour.

Last edited:
1. Vertigo
2-12. Joshua Tree
13. Crumbs
14. Elevation
15. Every Breaking Wave
16. Love and Peace or Else
17. One Step Closer
18. Beautiful Day

19. Miracle Drug
20. SYCMIOYO
21. One

22. All Because of You
23. Yahweh

By playing the entire Joshua Tree they mask the fact that the shows are really for a HTDAAB 13 Year Anniversary Tour.

Some cities with two shows get Fast Cars instead of One on the second night.

1) I Will Follow
2) Electric Co
3) Gloria
4) New Years Day
5) The Unforgettable Fire
6) Bad
7) Streets
8) Found
9) WOWY
10) Bullet
11) Running To Stand Still
12) Red Hill Mining Town
13) In Gods Country
14) Trip Through Your Wires
15) One Tree Hill
16) Exit
17) Mothers Of The Disappeared
18) Desire
19) Heartland
20) Zoo Station
21) Mysterious Ways
22) New SOE Song
23) Beautiful Day
24) Vertigo
25) City Of Blinding Lights
26) 40

I really think they will keep some sort of timeline theme in regards to playing all old stuff leading up to JT then their transformation in sound to AB which also can introduce something new from SOE then a few big crowd pleaders to close the set.

Last edited:
1) I Will Follow
2) Electric Co
3) Gloria
4) New Years Day
6) Bad
7) Streets
8) Found
9) WOWY
10) Bullet
12) Red Hill Mining Town
13) In Gods Country
15) One Tree Hill
16) Exit
18) Desire
19) Heartland
20) Zoo Station
21) Mysterious Ways
22) New SOE Song
23) Beautiful Day
24) Vertigo
26) 40

I really think they will keep some sort of timeline theme in regards to playing all old stuff leading up to JT then their transformation in sound to AB which also can introduce something new from SOE then a few big crowd pleaders to close the set.

This would be... fine!
Alas no Pride, no One, no chance.

1) I Will Follow
2) Electric Co
3) Gloria
4) New Years Day
6) Bad
7) Streets
8) Found
9) WOWY
10) Bullet
12) Red Hill Mining Town
13) In Gods Country
15) One Tree Hill
16) Exit
18) Desire
19) Heartland
20) Zoo Station
21) Mysterious Ways
22) New SOE Song
23) Beautiful Day
24) Vertigo
26) 40

Sub Unforgettable Fire for Pride and Heartland for One and you have a realistic yet still-awesome setlist.

1) I Will Follow
2) Electric Co
3) Gloria
4) New Years Day
6) Bad
7) Streets
8) Found
9) WOWY
10) Bullet
12) Red Hill Mining Town
13) In Gods Country
15) One Tree Hill
16) Exit
18) Desire
19) Heartland
20) Zoo Station
21) Mysterious Ways
22) New SOE Song
23) Beautiful Day
24) Vertigo
26) 40

Just seeing Zoo Station appear on these set list predictions is very exciting, maybe it's unlikely that it will appear on this tour, but here's to hoping. I suppose there is an outside chance

Sweet baby Jesus..

Followed them since I was about 10, (now 22) they have a deep discography and put on one of the best live shows I've seen. Also happen to be the nicest of guys. Huge fan! :D

Last edited:
Followed them since I was about 10, (now 22) they have a deep discography and put on one of the best live shows I've seen. Also happen to be the nicest of guys. Huge fan! :D

At least it's a more original answer, than Led Zeppelin.

Anyone try a "reverse" setlist?

Post JT stuff, JT album from track 11 to track 1 then ending the show with the 1980-1984 stuff?

There was a "reverse" setlist in japan on the Rattle tour and there was a couple shows 2001/2005/2011(?) where they front loaded a ton of AB tracks.

Just seeing Zoo Station appear on these set list predictions is very exciting, maybe it's unlikely that it will appear on this tour, but here's to hoping. I suppose there is an outside chance

agree!! Would love to hear it again! Hearing it in Berlin during i+e tour was an absolute highlight.

Anyone try a "reverse" setlist?

Post JT stuff, JT album from track 11 to track 1 then ending the show with the 1980-1984 stuff?

There was a "reverse" setlist in japan on the Rattle tour and there was a couple shows 2001/2005/2011(?) where they front loaded a ton of AB tracks.

I have lot of 2000s materials before JT. I just don't think there are enough pre-JT's 80s song that they'll actually play every night to fill the whole first half of the main set, unless they're aiming to start The Joshua Tree at song 6. regardless, I just don't see them cramming 30 years of their career (1988-2017) into the encore.

Besides, if they play the setlist in chronological order that fundamentally changes the identity of these shows. It goes from being a show about The Joshua Tree's continued relevance to being a look back at U2's whole career with everything measured against The Joshua Tree. I expect the tour will be the former rather than the latter, so it's a matter of filling out the rest of the setlist with an eye towards creating the ideal U2 stadium show.

Last edited:
My extensive thoughts based on the rehearsals:

I think the run-through last night that started with "A Sort of Homecoming" and ended with "Miss Sarajevo" is basically the setlist. The only thing missing happens to be a few of the earlier Boy/October-era tunes and possibly some newer stuff, but I doubt rehearsing "I Will Follow" or "Vertigo" is exactly high priority. Those sort of songs will come later as they can play them in their sleep.

1.) "A Sort Of Homecoming"
2.) "Sunday Bloody Sunday"
3.) "New Year's Day"
4.) "MLK"
5.) "Pride"
6.) "Where The Streets Have No Name"
7.) "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For"
8.) "With Or Without You"
9.) "Bullet The Blue Sky"
10.) "Running To Stand Still"
11.) "Red Hill Mining Town"
12.) "In God's Country"
13.) "Trip Through Your Wires"
14.) "One Tree Hill"
15.) "Exit"
16.) "Mothers Of The Disappeared"

17.) "Beautiful Day"
18.) "Ultraviolet"
19.) "One"
20.) "Miss Sarajevo"

That's twenty songs already and clearly in a running order that makes sense. Those last four would likely comprise at least part of the encore.

The new song ("little things") possibly making its way into the set list would balloon things to 21.

I'm pretty sure "City of Blinding Lights" is finally going to get a rest after being played basically every night over the last three tours. With "A Sort of Homecoming" basically being the opener, I can't see them throwing in "City" which is just too damn similar to that and "Streets"...especially when there's hardly any available real estate in the setlist.

Also, I think "Bad" is pretty unlikely unless it makes its way into the encore. We are already getting a whopping 14 songs from the UF-JT era if they go through with A Sort of Homecoming/MLK/Pride. Plus, "Bad" was hardly stellar on the last tour anyway and we don't need a vocal workout from Bono after he's already got that meaty Joshua Tree set to get through.

Pretty confident "A Sort of Homecoming" is the opener given how much they're working on it and how it would make for a great one.

Last edited:
MS-2017 song was a segue worked on a couple times int he afternoon. Something was played without the PA as song 21 as we could detect the light show and faintly hear the snare. Keep in mind Bono was wearing down after a long day and it was right before 11pm with apartments very close.

The lyrics perfectly match the ones online as the audio is much clearer in person. Some of us were reading them in real time. New material is the perfect counter balance for criticism that touring an old album is a step backwards. Everyone will see/hear it after opening night, if not earlier.

Bono said "G-L-O-R-I-A" once during Exit. Plus Peubla at the end of MOTD.

Is RTSS(346 shows) and MS(153 shows) really considered live rarities when played on multiple recent tours?

Is RTSS(346 shows) and MS(153 shows) really considered live rarities when played on multiple recent tours?

Miss Sarajevo, maybe not at this point. And other than the Vertigo tour, RTSS hasn't really been played since the ZooTV tour. I didn't even catch it on that tour (ironically, Miss Sarajevo came in to replace it for the later shows, I believe).

Miss Sarajevo, maybe not at this point. And other than the Vertigo tour, RTSS hasn't really been played since the ZooTV tour. I didn't even catch it on that tour (ironically, Miss Sarajevo came in to replace it for the later shows, I believe).

51 shows for RTSS in 2005 including the Chicago DVD.

MS was 68 shows on 360 and 85 shows on Vertigo.

I think all of these had Edge on piano. The 2015 Vancouver rehearsal had Edge on guitar which was very cool for me to hear.

Back
Top Bottom