Detroit Setlist Party

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, it looks like they still want to hold on to that lead single for a few more days. Off to Buffalo...

Ford Field - Detroit, MI - September 3, 2017

--------- The Whole of the Moon ----------
01 - Sunday Bloody Sunday
02 - New Year's Day
03 - Bad / America (snippet)
04 - Pride (In the Name of Love)
05 - Where the Streets Have No Name / California (There is No End to Love) [snippet]
06 - I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
07 - With or Without You
08 - Bullet the Blue Sky / America (West Side Story) [snippet]
09 - Running to Stand Still
10 - Red Hill Mining Town
11 - In God's Country
12 - Trip Through Your Wires
13 - One Tree Hill
---------- Trackdown Video ----------
14 - Exit / Wise Blood (snippet) / Eeny Meeny Miny Moe (snippet)
15 - Mothers of the Disappeared / People Have the Power (snippet) [with Patti Smith]
---------- ENCORE BREAK ----------
16 - Beautiful Day / People Have the Power (snippet)
17 - Elevation
18 - Vertigo / Panic in Detroit (snippet)
19 - Mysterious Ways / Miss You (snippet)
20 - Ultraviolet (Light My Way)
21 - One / Hear Us Coming (snippet)

Wow. I expected to hear at least a mixed setlist but I guess they are still in vacation mode. it would have been great if some R&H songs were played like heartland.

This is what I figured would happen. I suppose they're waiting until the song is out, but WTF? What kind of message does it send to release a new single (Blackout), announce a new album is coming soon, announce a 2nd single is coming next week, and then play NOTHING FROM THE NEW ALBUM AT A CONCERT IN FRONT OF 50,000+ FANS?!?! Ah U2... they like to leave me scratching my head.

This is what I figured would happen. I suppose they're waiting until the song is out, but WTF? What kind of message does it send to release a new single (Blackout), announce a new album is coming soon, announce a 2nd single is coming next week, and then play NOTHING FROM THE NEW ALBUM AT A CONCERT IN FRONT OF 50,000+ FANS?!?! Ah U2... they like to leave me scratching my head.

Good point, that left me scratching my head too. :up: But I'm still a bit disappointed, because they still would have played little things, or at least something.

They might want to wait until they're warmed up some more. Bono wasn't his best honestly. Or they're waiting until the sixth.

Well, it looks like they still want to hold on to that lead single for a few more days. Off to Buffalo...

Ford Field - Detroit, MI - September 3, 2017

--------- The Whole of the Moon ----------
01 - Sunday Bloody Sunday
02 - New Year's Day
03 - Bad / America (snippet)
04 - Pride (In the Name of Love)
05 - Where the Streets Have No Name / California (There is No End to Love) [snippet]
06 - I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
07 - With or Without You
08 - Bullet the Blue Sky / America (West Side Story) [snippet]
09 - Running to Stand Still
10 - Red Hill Mining Town
11 - In God's Country
12 - Trip Through Your Wires
13 - One Tree Hill
---------- Trackdown Video ----------
14 - Exit / Wise Blood (snippet) / Eeny Meeny Miny Moe (snippet)
15 - Mothers of the Disappeared / People Have the Power (snippet) [with Patti Smith]
---------- ENCORE BREAK ----------
16 - Beautiful Day / People Have the Power (snippet)
17 - Elevation
18 - Vertigo / Panic in Detroit (snippet)
19 - Mysterious Ways / Miss You (snippet)
20 - Ultraviolet (Light My Way)
21 - One / Hear Us Coming (snippet)

If this is what we get in Indianapolis next Sunday, I will be a happy girl! :love:

Yeah a tour they'd rather forget about I suppose.

That is not at all what I meant.

Clearly it's not a tour they'd rather forget about given they added this entire leg very late in the picture. Any argument they'd been strong-armed into the tour by Live Nation falls to pieces. They absolutely did not have to do this leg. So can we please put this conspiracy theory to bed?

No, we must keep repeating the same tired lines over and over and entering threads we have no interest in.

That is not at all what I meant.

Clearly it's not a tour they'd rather forget about given they added this entire leg very late in the picture. Any argument they'd been strong-armed into the tour by Live Nation falls to pieces. They absolutely did not have to do this leg. So can we please put this conspiracy theory to bed?

I would say that the two things (this being a contractual obligation tour and the band wanting to extend it) are not mutually exclusive. Yes, I do think that the band was pressured by Live Nation, more or less, to do this tour (or rather, do any kind of tour this year). But given the success of the initial run the band decided to extend it. And so it's not a tour they'd like to forget. But I think that the band is now more looking forward, to SOE and those shows, rather than to think of a DVD-shoot of the current show.

I would say that the two things (this being a contractual obligation tour and the band wanting to extend it) are not mutually exclusive. Yes, I do think that the band was pressured by Live Nation, more or less, to do this tour (or rather, do any kind of tour this year). But given the success of the initial run the band decided to extend it. And so it's not a tour they'd like to forget. But I think that the band is now more looking forward, to SOE and those shows, rather than to think of a DVD-shoot of the current show.

Yeah I pretty much agree with this. If the band had absolutely no external pressure to do anything, would this tour have happened? Doubtful. But the whole furphy that they were forced into it against their will is ridiculous. If they were dead against the idea they wouldn't have done it. Live Nation would have been just as happy if the band said, for example, they were going to tour to road-test new material and play some old hits. Heaps of bands take new stuff on the road to gauge audience reaction before committing to the final studio sessions. And yeah, clearly the extension demonstrates that U2 were enjoying JT30 enough to book more dates - though I do wonder if they fully thought through the implications of that, because you're not wrong to describe them as now looking forward to SOE. It's like they couldn't decide whether to keep doing this successful tour or to promote the new album, so they've bumbled their way into doing both. I hope it doesn't bite them.

Back
Top Bottom