Dallas Setlist Party

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We're actually getting to the point where the only thing that would slightly upset me is not getting The Little Things at Chicago 1.

For me it's no surprise, that the setlists are not ... surprising.

This Tour is about playing The Joshua Tree in full ... so they might still try little changes here and there around it, but the setlist for this tour will remain quite static.

Don't suppose it is for the people in attendance

It wasn't at all a snoozefest. I loved the show last night.

The tour has things that make it arguably worse than other recent ones, especially for the trainspotters. The setlists are short; they are rigid due to the giant block of TJT songs that have to occupy the middle; there's a lack of good song segues that have defined pretty much every tour since ZooTV. All of that is true, and arguably disappointing.

All of that said, it's an amazing experience live nonetheless. Every TJT song is performed beautifully. I've never been a big fan of, say, Trip, RHMT, or Exit, but the performances were fantastic and I was singing along like mad to all of them. The theming comes across as really relevant and has a great marriage of left-leaning social justice combined with very pro-unity language and the usual dash of Christianity.

The back half of TJT was a little boring for some of the crowd (most in my section sat during that, although I happily stood the entire time with no guilt whatsoever about annoying the people behind me), but everything else had the crowd very energized. Ending with BD-Elevation-IWF had the crowd literally bouncing.

I may have been more annoyed at this tour a couple of years ago, but I was so thankful for it last night. Even "basic" songs like ISHFWILF had me really happy to watch.

I honestly would pay the same amount a second time to see the exact same setlist again.

The tour has things that make it arguably worse than other recent ones, especially for the trainspotters. The setlists are short; they are rigid due to the giant block of TJT songs that have to occupy the middle; there's a lack of good song segues that have defined pretty much every tour since ZooTV. All of that is true, and arguably disappointing.

All of that said, it's an amazing experience live nonetheless. Every TJT song is performed beautifully. I've never been a big fan of, say, Trip, RHMT, or Exit, but the performances were fantastic and I was singing along like mad to all of them. The theming comes across as really relevant and has a great marriage of left-leaning social justice combined with very pro-unity language and the usual dash of Christianity.

The back half of TJT was a little boring for some of the crowd (most in my section sat during that, although I happily stood the entire time with no guilt whatsoever about annoying the people behind me), but everything else had the crowd very energized. Ending with BD-Elevation-IWF had the crowd literally bouncing.

I may have been more annoyed at this tour a couple of years ago, but I was so thankful for it last night. Even "basic" songs like ISHFWILF had me really happy to watch.

I honestly would pay the same amount a second time to see the exact same setlist again.

Spot on!

The opinions of people in the stadium are what matters most, so thanks for your take! I'm looking forward to D.C. in a month. Surely the set will evolve in some ways before then but I'm confident the boys will put on a good show.

When it comes to it, we know what a large portion of the setlist (come on, THE JOSHUA TREE) it's never going to be a big surprise setlist party. It's a settle back and we all know what's coming situation more than any U2 tour ever.

If they suddenly opened with I Will Follow or Out Of Control, there would be people falling over getting to the thread.

It's normal for U2, and this forum. Eventually we know what's going to happen most nights. On paper, boring as hell. If I were there in person I don't think I'd have my tonsils anymore.

And I'm supposed to be the cynical one.

I'm surprised reading through this thread. The show last night in Dallas was amazing. Incredible energy in the crowd.

When Bono told Edge to play "I Will Follow" (changing what was planned on the set list..."Come of guys, we can do this!") people started going nuts. It was a awesome way to end the show.

The renditions of staples like Pride, Found, Streets, etc. were incredible. The band did a tremendous job of weaving the current feeling in the US/World into songs that they've been singing for 30 years.

The visuals - wow. Streets alone was just a spiritual experience.

From a musical perspective Ultraviolet may not be as powerful as in past tours, but the way it is presented with regards to the women in our lives is so powerful and moving. It just lifts the song to a different level - makes it powerful in a different way. There were women in GA in tears during that song.

Overall - terrific night. I'm so grateful I was able to see it live.

Also...the Lumineers were great! I didn't really know much of their music going in, but I really enjoyed their set! They really captured a crowd that was there to see U2.

I'm surprised reading through this thread. The show last night in Dallas was amazing. Incredible energy in the crowd.

When Bono told Edge to play "I Will Follow" (changing what was planned on the set list..."Come of guys, we can do this!") people started going nuts. It was a awesome way to end the show.

The renditions of staples like Pride, Found, Streets, etc. were incredible. The band did a tremendous job of weaving the current feeling in the US/World into songs that they've been singing for 30 years.

The visuals - wow. Streets alone was just a spiritual experience.

From a musical perspective Ultraviolet may not be as powerful as in past tours, but the way it is presented with regards to the women in our lives is so powerful and moving. It just lifts the song to a different level - makes it powerful in a different way. There were women in GA in tears during that song.

Overall - terrific night. I'm so grateful I was able to see it live.

Also...the Lumineers were great! I didn't really know much of their music going in, but I really enjoyed their set! They really captured a crowd that was there to see U2.

So true on both accounts! :)

Just got back from Texas, my first two shows of the tour.

Great shows, great energy, but so bummed they didn't play ASOH at either. Really hope it shows up at one of my 2 Chicago nights, as that's my only 2-nighter of this tour.

Ultraviolet was great, and the crowd loved the visuals that went with it.

Why did the Dallas show start half an hour later than the Houston one? Did it have anything to do with the roof not being blacked out like the roof of the Houston stadium was?

I was close to Larry's set on the tree stage, and it popped back up for the encore and I was waiting for him to come back out there, but he never did. Lol, at least Bono and Adam came back to the tree stage for the encore.

Didn't sound like a blunder to me, just an unexpectedly longer pause between the guitars and the drums. Standout songs for me were WOWY, SBS, IGS and IWF. Disappointing to me were RTMH, RTSS and hmmm maybe Ultraviolet.

I thought this was an excellent performance and they sounded strong .. and it may be just where I was sitting, but did anyone else think Bono was sharp and/or the sound was crappy for a lot of the night?

Didn't sound like a blunder to me, just an unexpectedly longer pause between the guitars and the drums. Standout songs for me were WOWY, SBS, IGS and IWF. Disappointing to me were RTMH, RTSS and hmmm maybe Ultraviolet.

I thought this was an excellent performance and they sounded strong .. and it may be just where I was sitting, but did anyone else think Bono was sharp and/or the sound was crappy for a lot of the night?

No, I think Edge's timing was off.

I was jarred by it too, but just figured he meant to add a couple extra measures there. And yeah I did feel like there were timing issues at other points.

Back
Top Bottom