Will U2 sell the remaining tickets to make this tour a complete sell out?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

georgemccauley

The Fly
By the looks of things from the nights that still have tickets available, there are still a few thousand tickets yet to be sold.

Interested to know from the ticket and sales nerds the chances of this tour being a complete sell out. Not that it will affect anything band related but for U2 at this stage in their career it would be an amazing achievement if they could completely sell 100% for every date on this tour, i'd love to see it!

From a brief look through the posts and the more experienced folk who live in those areas or have knowledge about how well that particular stadium sells, it would appear that they over 90% in some places.

The tickets will sell, but if any don't they will just pull them at the last second, which will allow them to call any show a "sell out".

Houston and Tampa will probably crawl their way to a sellout. Ticket prices will be slashed, tickets will be given away, the hype will pick up as the tour starts, and there will be some last minute people thinking "Hey, U2 is town tomorrow... why the hell not?"

Pittsburgh and Louisville will not sell out, but won't be Popmart-like disasters either. Both shows will easily have over 40,000 people at them, which is no small feat for those cities.

Everything is fine. U2 are still among the top concert draws, if not the top draw. As I've said before, check out some of Coldplay and Guns n Roses stadium shows this summer if you want to see a lot of unsold tickets.

The tickets will sell, but if any don't they will just pull them at the last second, which will allow them to call any show a "sell out".

Well, if that were the case then every show would be a sellout, but their not. Shows all around the country an world fail to sellout every week and the results are posted in Billboard Boxscore.
Promoters try to carefully gauge how many tickets and artist will sell and set capacities in the venues based on what they think is likely. When the sell less than that, the show fails to sellout, when the sell more, more tickets might be released if the promoter thinks the artist can sell them. When the show occurs, if all tickets released for sale are sold, the concert marked as a sellout, even if the maximum physical capacity of the venue is not used.

By the looks of things from the nights that still have tickets available, there are still a few thousand tickets yet to be sold.

Interested to know from the ticket and sales nerds the chances of this tour being a complete sell out. Not that it will affect anything band related but for U2 at this stage in their career it would be an amazing achievement if they could completely sell 100% for every date on this tour, i'd love to see it!

From a brief look through the posts and the more experienced folk who live in those areas or have knowledge about how well that particular stadium sells, it would appear that they over 90% in some places.

The tickets will sell out. They always do.

Well, if that were the case then every show would be a sellout, but their not. Shows all around the country an world fail to sellout every week and the results are posted in Billboard Boxscore.
Promoters try to carefully gauge how many tickets and artist will sell and set capacities in the venues based on what they think is likely. When the sell less than that, the show fails to sellout, when the sell more, more tickets might be released if the promoter thinks the artist can sell them. When the show occurs, if all tickets released for sale are sold, the concert marked as a sellout, even if the maximum physical capacity of the venue is not used.

not every show/artist/promoter cares enough to remove seats from circulation in order to call the show a sell out, thus why every show isn't a "sell out."

LiveNation have done this with a few of their major artists, U2 included. It's not common, but has happened.

The two Denver I/E shows were listed as sell outs. Denver most certainly did not sell every seat in the arena for the two shows. They curtained off whole sections and even moved people day of in order to say that they "sold every ticket"

do the responses here sound similar to the ones in response to the exact same question you posted in another U2 forum? :D

not every show/artist/promoter cares enough to remove seats from circulation in order to call the show a sell out, thus why every show isn't a "sell out."

LiveNation have done this with a few of their major artists, U2 included. It's not common, but has happened.

The two Denver I/E shows were listed as sell outs. Denver most certainly did not sell every seat in the arena for the two shows. They curtained off whole sections and even moved people day of in order to say that they "sold every ticket"

I still find that VERY strange. On Elevation and Vertigo tours they easily sold out 2 nights at the same arena, and on 360 in Denver they played to over 70,000. For I&E, They only sold 28,000 / 36,000 possible tickets. I guess in the aftermath of SOI their image took a major hit, they weren't the "must-see" show at that moment.

The fact that the shows this summer have sold so well tells me that no permanent damage was done to their reputation, but people were just a little put off in 2015.

I still find that VERY strange. On Elevation and Vertigo tours they easily sold out 2 nights at the same arena, and on 360 in Denver they played to over 70,000. For I&E, They only sold 28,000 / 36,000 possible tickets. I guess in the aftermath of SOI their image took a major hit, they weren't the "must-see" show at that moment.

The fact that the shows this summer have sold so well tells me that no permanent damage was done to their reputation, but people were just a little put off in 2015.
People were put off, yes - but there was also the idea that everyone who wanted to see U2 got to see U2 on 360, and the market was destined to dry up a little in certain markets based on demand alone. U2 knew this and their decision to go to all arenas backed that up.

As someone stated in some other forum.

People only have so much money to see live acts. And everyone is touring these days because that is way the artist/management/promoters make $. 10 years ago the big acts would give each other some space when touring. Now it feels like a free for all. Friggin Guns N Roses are touring. I just spent $500 for my wife to see John Meyer!!

And tickets are just more expensive. Most of your major acts are $100 + ( and that is for the cheap seats). With everyone touring, touring technology, & the public not buying music anymore (artist not making $ off album sales/streaming) the touring industry is just a different animal than it was.

I think U2 has done really well for just announcing a anniversary tour in January by today's standards.

As someone stated in some other forum.

People only have so much money to see live acts. And everyone is touring these days because that is way the artist/management/promoters make $. 10 years ago the big acts would give each other some space when touring. Now it feels like a free for all. Friggin Guns N Roses are touring. I just spent $500 for my wife to see John Meyer!!

And tickets are just more expensive. Most of your major acts are $100 + ( and that is for the cheap seats). With everyone touring, touring technology, & the public not buying music anymore (artist not making $ off album sales/streaming) the touring industry is just a different animal than it was.

I think U2 has done really well for just announcing a anniversary tour in January by today's standards.

Yeah, i think that was probably me that said that. This is one of the most competitive touring seasons i have ever seen. Especially for the age range of U2 fans. There are just a ton. And then with the rise of so many festivals, people get spread thin pretty quickly.
U2 were wise to get the tickets on sale earlier than a lot of others. And them selling out 95% of a stadium tour is quite respectable.

And yet, watch them go the same route and release SOE at the next apple event after the tour! :lol::D

That'd be AMAZING if they did that! Ballsy move, and zero complaints from me!

Likewise, I'm in the same field when it comes to that release. I think it's also likely they'd do it again as SOE will basically be the sister album to SOI, so why release it differently. It's almost could be the U2 apple album release era with SOA around the corner too

I fail to see how doing another ham-fisted, desperate-for-attention stunt with Apple would do the band any good.

Oh it would be a disaster if they did it again. But I'd be happy because 1. I'd have a new U2 album, and 2. I truly enjoyed it last time when everyone acted like a little bitch.

giphy.gif

You can't remove seats from circulation. The Denver shows started off initially with lower capacities. As more tickets were sold, more were released. If any ticket released is not sold, then the concert is not a sellout. The promoter gauges the further release of tickets tightly to insure a sellout, but this does not always happen. That's how the Denver shows got marked as sellouts just like any other show over the past 40 odd years. In 2001, the Elevation Pittsburgh show I went to sold lower level rear stage seats, but not anything in the upper level rear stage even though there were people locked outside without tickets. They new they could sell the remaining tickets in the lower level rear stage, but dare not open up the upper level because they were unlikely to sell all of what would be released and it would look better to have the entire area empty instead of have just a few dozen seats filled.

People were put off, yes - but there was also the idea that everyone who wanted to see U2 got to see U2 on 360, and the market was destined to dry up a little in certain markets based on demand alone. U2 knew this and their decision to go to all arenas backed that up.

More likely it was simply the standard start in the arenas and see where demand is at. Its what U2 did to start of the ZOO TV tour. Demand proved to be way down from the previous two tours meaning Innocence and Experience would have to remain indoors.

Back
Top Bottom