Will U2 sell the remaining tickets to make this tour a complete sell out?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, I was in the back upper deck. That seemed pretty packed to me. I was a little confused by which sections in the side upper deck were blocked out - I assume the corners had obstructed view reasons?

They blocked out the top half of the upper decks on each side, from what i could tell on what was available on TM, for ticket demand reasons. And probably some far corners for view reasons.

Only about 400 scattered upper deck seats open for Tampa, plus about 650 of the 1200 obstructed view seats that were opened up on Monday.
So my gut says Tampa is a sellout or 99% there by show day.

The Tampa turnout won't be embarrassing at all, but it won't be 100% sold out.

I thought from the beginning that a complete sellout for Tampa, Houston, Pittsburgh and Louisville would never happen. That appears to be holding up.

I wouldn't be surprised if none of the newly listed shows (in the US) don't sell out 100% either.

Especially St Louis and Kansas City -- I went to see a 360 show in St Louis and that didn't even sell out (I read it was around 3000 short) and that was in the baseball stadium!

I went to see a 360 show in St Louis and that didn't even sell out (I read it was around 3000 short) and that was in the baseball stadium!

That was with all four corners of the stadium open though. Not sure whether the stadium there playing on this tour is bigger or smaller though

I thought from the beginning that a complete sellout for Tampa, Houston, Pittsburgh and Louisville would never happen. That appears to be holding up.

I wouldn't be surprised if none of the newly listed shows (in the US) don't sell out 100% either.

Especially St Louis and Kansas City -- I went to see a 360 show in St Louis and that didn't even sell out (I read it was around 3000 short) and that was in the baseball stadium!

My guess is they may pull those "obstructed view" tickets for Tampa at the end, and call it a sellout. We'll see.

I read this morning that the upper tiers were covered in tarp and people reassigned to sit in the lower level.

They'd better save that tarp for the St Louis and Kansas City shows.

Perhaps some of the others too.

The entire upper Tier?

Yeah it will be interesting. St. Louis is sandwiched in between Kansas City and Indy, but they both have their own shows, so they won't be pulling from either of those metro areas. Probably will get people from Chicago area and even Memphis though. Such an odd decision to play all three of those cities.

U2 have not played Kansas City or Indianapolis for 16 years now. Back in 2001 they got attendance of 13,456 for Kansas and 15,088 for Indy. But 16 years is a long time and U2 did do a stadium show in Indy on the Joshua Tree Tour that had nearly 40,000 people as well as a Stadium show on ZOO TV in Kansas that had 37,000 in attendance. Perhaps that see it has another Norman or Nashville from 360 in the making, although those places had not been played by U2 since the early 1980s so its not the same parallel.

St. Louis was the weakest seller or slowest seller on the Vertigo Tour back in 2005. It was the only show that did not achieve an initial sellout on the day tickets went on sale. They sold everything in front and on the sides of the stage, but sales stopped cold when it came to the rear stage area. Those were eventually sold though by the time of the show. Still, I was surprised when it the city was able to snag a 360 show for 2011 leg.

So is there anything worthy of being mentioned about the fact that 4 of the 7 new US shows are in stadiums with roofs? (Detroit, Indy, Minny, StL)

Here's a pretty good video of the crowd. That's honestly about what I figured it would look like. Not too hateful, not so empty that it was a distraction. Had the upper levels been around $35 during the initial burst of sales, it probably would've sold out.

Here's a pretty good video of the crowd. That's honestly about what I figured it would look like. Not too hateful, not so empty that it was a distraction. Had the upper levels been around $35 during the initial burst of sales, it probably would've sold out.

Ugh, I was hoping it would be more full than that on those upper side decks. Looks like they only filled or attempted to fill 4 sections and even those 4 sections are not completely full when you look at the top half. Was anyone here at POPMART Pittsburgh? I would imagine POPMART Pittsburgh probably had no one really on the upper sides, some in the upper back for the cheap seats, but even some gaps on the lower level as well while the floor was probably full.

It's not PopMart Jacksonville or Tampa, but it's still pretty bad.

Not a big deal in the greater scheme of things, as the tour in general has done very well, but a reminder to U2 and LiveNation that Pittsburgh and their cookies can suck it.

The entire upper Tier?

Here's the quote:

"It'll go down as one of the lower-selling shows of The Joshua Tree Tour 2017, but the Pittsburgh audience on Wednesday night was treated to what sounded like another terrific show. "

The original article mentioned the tarps, but apparently modified the "news" and withdrew mention of the tarps and the sections.

<shrug>

Still a decent crowd from the looks of it. Could have been worse.

With that crowd they still could've filled the PPG Paint Arena twice in Pittsburgh, so that's still better than most bands would do.

I was there on the floor and while there were sections that were tarped off in the upper sides, the crowd was very energetic for a weeknight. Bono really seemed to love the energy.

Pittsburgh's a good city, I promise. The 360 show here was a 99% sellout. I think it just has to do with ticket prices and the many other concert tours that are touring this summer (the market is very crowded right now). We are also in the Stanley Cup Finals, so the city is really putting most of its attention there.

The PopMart show here was at the old stadium (Three Rivers). From what I've heard, that crowd was even smaller.

27,785 was the Popmart attendance in Pittsburgh, in sure they're well above that.

39,586 was Zoo TV, so they probably have that beat too.

55,000 ish for 360. I was there, and it was certainly not sold out by any means. Still probably my 2nd favorite u2 concert.

Just watching the video of Pittsburgh again and the floor doesn't look that full at all. Is that normal at the jt shows?

https://youtu.be/AruYzvLp6Oo

Another video that's filmed from the opposite side to the other video. Am I right in thinking the whole of that top tier is blocked off. Can't see any camera phone flashes anyway floor doesn't look the fullest does it

Still, lower bowl all full. Upper tier facing the stage full and the floor. It's not a bad attendance at all

Last edited:
I remember when I attended the East Lansing show in 2011, there was a startling amount of empty space on the floor... it really looked weird from the seats. I read that the venue had them reduce the floor capacity. Possibly for safety codes, who knows. It may vary from venue to venue.

Just watching the video of Pittsburgh again and the floor doesn't look that full at all. Is that normal at the jt shows?

https://youtu.be/AruYzvLp6Oo

Another video that's filmed from the opposite side to the other video. Am I right in thinking the whole of that top tier is blocked off. Can't see any camera phone flashes anyway floor doesn't look the fullest does it

Still, lower bowl all full. Upper tier facing the stage full and the floor. It's not a bad attendance at all

Upper deck sides were significantly tarped off, although there was something like an L shape spanning a few sections that was open on each side.

Here's a video of the other side of the stadium. Looks to have gotten similar treatment. I'll be very interested to see how many people were actually there.

I haven't looked for awhile, but it appears Louisville now has a bunch of tickets opened up. They seem to be trying to sell every other row in the upper rows. Then people will just naturally spread out up there, making it appear fuller. L'ville is also going to be an interesting one, sales wise. One has to wonder if it would've benefitted more from being part of the original sales push, rather than being added on. I've also wondered that about I&E Denver.

Last edited:
U2 just added New Orleans for September 14. I think this show might be the lowest seller although its been 20 years since U2 played there. There were a little less than 22,000 people in attendance in 1997.

U2 just added New Orleans for September 14. I think this show might be the lowest seller although its been 20 years since U2 played there. There were a little less than 22,000 people in attendance in 1997.

Its hard to say this time around. Tampa had 22,000 for Popmart. But they have a 99.5% sellout this time around. Probably around 55k. So you never know. Pittsburgh was around 40 or so, and KY will probably be low 40's. I am thinking thats about the low threshold we will see this time around.

And Beck is opening this time around. This will boost interest as well. Not to toot my own horn, but he was one of the artists i said U2 should choose instead of Lumineers and Mumford. toot toot

I think a complete sell-out for any of the new dates is unlikely.

But as long as the crowds aren't POPMART small it'll be ok.

At the moment there are only 94 tickets left for Tampa, So it will be a sellout.
Louisville have about 3000 reserved left, and they may have just opened up a few GA's this morning.

I think a complete sell-out for any of the new dates is unlikely.

But as long as the crowds aren't POPMART small it'll be ok.

I think that San Diego may be a sellout by showtime. But they are charging crazy amounts for those tickets. 165 for uppers!!! yikes
I think Detroit, and MN will sell pretty well, the others we are probably looking at 40k ish...

Back
Top Bottom