Will U2 sell the remaining tickets to make this tour a complete sell out?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I saw the tour as well.
You're Stingingly clear bias shows through in your post.
GnR were definitely the bigger draw in 1992.

Not in the United States. Both bands had been on tour for a year prior to the start of the co-headlining stadium tour.

Number of Arena shows by each band in the United States prior to the start of their co-headlining tour in July 1992:

Metallica: 127 U.S. arena shows from October 12, 1991 through July 5, 1991.

Guns N Roses: 61 U.S. arena shows from May 24, 1991 through April 9, 1992

You can then break it down by city and you'll see Metallica for the most part playing just as many arena shows if not more than Guns N Roses per city. In addition, Metallica was doing 360 degree arena shows with seating behind the stage. Guns N Roses did not use seats behind the stage in their arena shows.

Definitely the bigger draw? The results of their touring prior to July 1992 in the United States don't show that. Also remember that prior to 1991, Guns N Roses had only been a support act for other artist when it came to Arena or Stadium shows in the United States. Metallica on the other hand had already done a their own 100 date plus arena tour in the United States back in 1988/1989 in support of the "And Justice For All" album.

While I'm sure we'd all love to see Sting post more box office stats out of his ass and deny being Sting, there's soemthing that was missed here that needs to be discussed...

U2's appeal is a bit broader, certainly far younger, and they can't charge as much as those acts or the "I'm a trophy wife, so buy me tickets" acts (Beyonce, Madonna).

Ummmm... what?

GNR may have been technically "Bigger" than Metallica for a very brief period of time, just because that's when their flash in the pan was at it's brightest. Metallica were a very accomplished band before that, and much after that, and have accomplished way more in their career. But at that moment, GNR had more broad, mainstream appeal. Girls were into GNR! Metallica mainly appealed to dudes who were into metal and black t shirts. The Black Album was their most commercially successful album, yes, but GNR probably had more mass appeal.

I say that as a casual, respectful fan of Metallica, and as someone who hates GNR/Axl except for a few songs.

I'm just glad that my "trophy wife" has never made me buy her tickets to Madonna or Beyonce (she's pretty hot, but not that much younger than me). Her favorite band is Snow Patrol, so I've taken her to see them a couple times. No complaints!

While I'm sure we'd all love to see Sting post more box office stats out of his ass and deny being Sting, there's soemthing that was missed here that needs to be discussed...

Ummmm... what?

Acts like Madonna and Beyonce and Justin Timberlake have the highest average cost for tickets in the business (even though they are solo acts). Performers that young girls loved and can now pay exorbitant amounts of money to go see. I call it the "trophy wife" shows because if you're just some woman who is a trophy wife and not that into music but want to go see a show, should anyone be shocked when they want to go see the former frontperson of N*SYNC or Destiny's Child? They sure as hell aren't going to be as interested in seeing U2 or The Who. Likewise, if their partner has the money, why would they really care if tickets are $600 for the floor or whatever? Drop in the bucket to please their spouse.

To me, it's just unreasonable. Like, I can't fathom shows where the average ticket price is $300 especially when all the leftover profit is going to one performer. Taylor Swift, for example, sure as hell can't charge that even though she is a much bigger act currently than any of those names because her fanbase is a lot of young women.

Last edited:
I suspect this is more Ticketmaster manipulation. Check an hour later -- or less -- and the floor tickets will be available again.

I've had Ticketmaster flip the stage on me for both the Phoenix and Chicago show last tour -- they do things like this to manipulate sales I think -- "Don't like where your tickets are now that we've flipped the stage -- buy them on the other end of the floor and find some to buy the ones you already have!"

I hope that's the case, because Pittsburgh's GA has been grayed out since Friday afternoon. I know because I was just about to purchase a couple GA tickets and kept getting a message of "sorry, those tickets aren't available" and then the chart went gray. I find it hard to believe that they sold allllll the tickets on Friday as the chart was a medium shade of blue before that (usually indicates a good number of tickets). So before I turn to scalpers or (ideally) buying from another fan at face value, I'm hoping TM will release the tickets tomorrow.

I hope that's the case, because Pittsburgh's GA has been grayed out since Friday afternoon. I know because I was just about to purchase a couple GA tickets and kept getting a message of "sorry, those tickets aren't available" and then the chart went gray. I find it hard to believe that they sold allllll the tickets on Friday as the chart was a medium shade of blue before that (usually indicates a good number of tickets). So before I turn to scalpers or (ideally) buying from another fan at face value, I'm hoping TM will release the tickets tomorrow.

I know that TM stopped showing how many tickets were available for GA several weeks ago, but I agree with you -- I highly doubt all the tickets sold out for GA so suddenly.

Could be the promoter wanted to fill the pricey seats first to make up for lost revenue for what will be a low turnout -- low in the sense that there will be so many empty seats that went unsold.

I wouldn't give up hope though. I'd expect more GA to become available and would be quite surprised if they don't.

I am always one of the first to defend U2's ticket prices. 75 GA's. groups of 35 dollar nosebleeds, etc... But i just was looking to see how Houston was selling, since it's one of the 3 or 4 that haven't "sold out" and they are charging 157 bucks for upper deck seats that had 150 to 300 left per section. That seems a bit ludicrous to me. I thought those seats were 100 bucks at all the other venues.

I am always one of the first to defend U2's ticket prices. 75 GA's. groups of 35 dollar nosebleeds, etc... But i just was looking to see how Houston was selling, since it's one of the 3 or 4 that haven't "sold out" and they are charging 157 bucks for upper deck seats that had 150 to 300 left per section. That seems a bit ludicrous to me. I thought those seats were 100 bucks at all the other venues.

Absolutely. Clearly they're not going to sell those tickets at those prices in the next 2 weeks. I don't get it... put those unsold upper level tickets at $30 and advertise it as such. I'd think it'd still be better to have a $30 ass in the seat rather than let it sit empty. That $30 ass might buy a t shirt, a couple beers and hot dogs. Seems like a better deal for everybody.

An add in to my previous post:

I'm going to be seeing kings of Leon in Columbus this October. The amount of unsold tickets is staggering... to the point where I think the show might get cancelled! Other than the seats closest to the stage, the only tickets that have been sold are the nosebleeds way up in the rafters. Ticketmaster had a $20 ticket promotion, and all those tickets are gone. Clearly they are not worth $100 per ticket, and shouldn't be charging that.

I don't get why bands who don't sell very well don't adopt more of a flex pricing structure. They clearly aren't worth that much, otherwise the tickets would be sold.

I bought a $20 KOL ticket in the nosebleeds. Chances are good that I'll be moved to the lower bowl because nobody will buy those tickets. Then they'll cover the upper bowl with a curtain. There is a 5,000 capacity amphitheater in Columbus also, and that's where they should've played.

Last edited:
An add in to my previous post:

I'm going to be seeing kings of Leon in Columbus this October. The amount of unsold tickets is staggering... to the point where I think the show might get cancelled! Other than the seats closest to the stage, the only tickets that have been sold are the nosebleeds way up in the rafters. Ticketmaster had a $20 ticket promotion, and all those tickets are gone. Clearly they are not worth $100 per ticket, and shouldn't be charging that.

I don't get why bands who don't sell very well don't adopt more of a flex pricing structure. They clearly aren't worth that much, otherwise the tickets would be sold.

I bought a $20 KOL ticket in the nosebleeds. Chances are good that I'll be moved to the lower bowl because nobody will buy those tickets. Then they'll cover the upper bowl with a curtain. There is a 5,000 capacity amphitheater in Columbus also, and that's where they should've played.

Yep, i just looked at KOL tickets in Tampa. They are playing a 18-19k amphitheater and they have at least 7000 unsold seats and the lawn area is colored medium green which means there are probably a good few thousand still left there as well... So about half sold.

Absolutely. Clearly they're not going to sell those tickets at those prices in the next 2 weeks. I don't get it... put those unsold upper level tickets at $30 and advertise it as such. I'd think it'd still be better to have a $30 ass in the seat rather than let it sit empty. That $30 ass might buy a t shirt, a couple beers and hot dogs. Seems like a better deal for everybody.

I think the midfield ones at 75 and the farther ones for 35 would stick to the pricing structure of most venues and be much more attractive for casual fans. And like you said, a t-shirt, beer or book is going to make up the money.

Since no one has ever done multiple stadium shows in Pittsburgh on the same tour, the following boxscore by Bruce Springsteen is probably the attendance record for a concert in the Pittsburgh area.

Bruce Springsteen
August 11, 1985
Pittsburgh Pennsylvania
Three Rivers Stadium
GROSS: $1,140,125
ATTENDANCE: 65,150
SHOWS: 1
SELLOUTS: 1
Average Ticket Price: $17.50

This is about 10,000 more than the U2 360 show and Taylor Swift shows at Heinz Field which are the largest shows to my knowledge that have taken place at Heinz field. PNC park is much smaller and max capacity shows would come nowhere near 65,150. Interesting thing about the attendance figure is that it is 6,000 more than the capacity for Three Rivers stadium and that is with a stage that is blocking out perhaps 25% of those seats. The field must of had 20,000 to 25,000 people.

U2's concert in Pittsburgh this year will be the 5th time they have played a stadium show in Pittsburgh which I believe is more than any other artist. The Rolling Stones have done 4 stadium shows in Pittsburgh and Pink Floyd has done 3.

Last edited:
Since no one has ever done multiple stadium shows in Pittsburgh on the same tour, the following boxscore by Bruce Springsteen is probably the attendance record for a concert in the Pittsburgh area.

Bruce Springsteen
August 11, 1985
Pittsburgh Pennsylvania
Three Rivers Stadium

This is about 10,000 more than the U2 360 show and Taylor Swift shows at Heinz Field which are the largest shows to my knowledge that have taken place at Heinz field. PNC park is much smaller and max capacity shows would come nowhere near 65,150. Interesting thing about the attendance figure is that it is 6,000 more than the capacity for Three Rivers stadium and that is with a stage that is blocking out perhaps 25% of those seats. The field must of had 20,000 to 25,000 people.

U2's concert in Pittsburgh this year will be the 5th time they have played a stadium show in Pittsburgh which I believe is more than any other artist. The Rolling Stones have done 4 stadium shows in Pittsburgh and Pink Floyd has done 3.

Probably in the 80's the safety restrictions for amount of people on the field aren't as strict as they are now, which is why he was able to get more on the field. Pretty impressive figure for Bruce!

I imagine this year's show in Pittsburgh will still be better attended than the Zoo TV show in Pittsburgh, and definitely the Popmart show. I predict somewhere just north of 45,000, unless they radically slash prices and advertise the shit out of it.

Acts like Madonna and Beyonce and Justin Timberlake have the highest average cost for tickets in the business (even though they are solo acts). Performers that young girls loved and can now pay exorbitant amounts of money to go see. I call it the "trophy wife" shows because if you're just some woman who is a trophy wife and not that into music but want to go see a show, should anyone be shocked when they want to go see the former frontperson of N*SYNC or Destiny's Child? They sure as hell aren't going to be as interested in seeing U2 or The Who. Likewise, if their partner has the money, why would they really care if tickets are $600 for the floor or whatever? Drop in the bucket to please their spouse.

To me, it's just unreasonable. Like, I can't fathom shows where the average ticket price is $300 especially when all the leftover profit is going to one performer. Taylor Swift, for example, sure as hell can't charge that even though she is a much bigger act currently than any of those names because her fanbase is a lot of young women.

I call them the "WOOOO Girls" at concerts. You know...the women who just go "WOOOOOOOOO" all the time and take 100 selfies with their friends, surrounding fans be damned, sloshing cheap wine all over the row in front of them. WOOOOOOOOO

Their natural match are the Shot Guys. The guys who keep disappearing to the bar to get shots for everyone, and make a scene worthy of a movie about their shot drinking. These guys eventually turn into "violent fight guy", but the problem is they move in packs so having an issue with one turns into "Violent Fight Pack"

Last edited:
Probably in the 80's the safety restrictions for amount of people on the field aren't as strict as they are now, which is why he was able to get more on the field. Pretty impressive figure for Bruce!

I imagine this year's show in Pittsburgh will still be better attended than the Zoo TV show in Pittsburgh, and definitely the Popmart show. I predict somewhere just north of 45,000, unless they radically slash prices and advertise the shit out of it.

A boxscore was never reported for Joshua Tree Pittsburgh in 1987. I saw an estimate of 40,000 but I don't know how accurate that is, about the same as the ZOO TV show. You have to say though they are doing pretty good IF this show gets a higher attendance than the original Joshua Tree show.

A boxscore was never reported for Joshua Tree Pittsburgh in 1987. I saw an estimate of 40,000 but I don't know how accurate that is, about the same as the ZOO TV show. You have to say though they are doing pretty good IF this show gets a higher attendance than the original Joshua Tree show.

Agreed. Especially at 10 times the price. Well, with inflation, we'll call it 3 times the price.
Also, I've said it before, but I don't recall a more competitive concert season than this year. There are big bands with lots of fan crossover with U2, and tons of festivals. So for them to have a nearly sold out stadium tour is quite impressive.

Last edited:

Bruce Springsteen
August 11, 1985
Pittsburgh Pennsylvania
Three Rivers Stadium

Did the Bruce 1985 Pittsburgh have some rear stage seating some handful of his shows that year?

http://www.ourloveisreal.it/images/gallery/ssiro85/01.jpg

Just trying to get a comparison of Metallica and U2 in the same venue, in a city that probably has about equal type of fan - Seattle.
Just checked out Metallica on Ticketmaster at CLink and they have at least 5,000 seats unsold and the floor still is medium blue, meaning several thousand left there as well...

Just trying to get a comparison of Metallica and U2 in the same venue, in a city that probably has about equal type of fan - Seattle.
Just checked out Metallica on Ticketmaster at CLink and they have at least 5,000 seats unsold and the floor still is medium blue, meaning several thousand left there as well...

I would love to compare Metallica to U2 for Pittsburgh.

Only thing is that Metallica was wise enough not to book a gig in Pittsburgh.

However, U2 and Metallica in Philly are basically the same. U2 has old out and Metallica is as good as a sell out.

I would love to compare Metallica to U2 for Pittsburgh.

Only thing is that Metallica was wise enough not to book a gig in Pittsburgh.

However, U2 and Metallica in Philly are basically the same. U2 has old out and Metallica is as good as a sell out.

I feel like Pittsburgh would be more of a metallica town, but that might just be my ignorance...

U2 looks slightly better in Houston
And in Miami it's not even close. Wow. Metallica is really struggling there. Prices look a little bit lowered, and they are only playing about half the stadium, about 7500 seats unsold, and floor is dark blue, meaning a large amount there left as well... U2 is playing to a larger area of the stadium and sold that out pretty early on.

Last edited:

If Metallica's GA tickets were priced like U2's I definitely would've bought a GA ticket...but they were $150 with fees bringing it up to $175, fuck that. I ended up getting nosebleeds

But....but...

I want royalties!!!!

Kind of cool tho...and executed perfectly. That is EXACTLY who I am talking about, but more in the middle manager office drone version, taking the frustrations of 70 hour workweeks being mean and unyielding out on the general concert crowd.

My worst WOO experience was at a B52s/Go Gos concert. They never stopped taking pictures of each other. And I counted the equivalent of 3 glasses of wine spilled on people in the rows around them during pictures. They would not pay attention, not pay attention, talk loudly, take picture, not pay attention, talk louder, take another picture, take a selfie, then turn and look at the stage for 5 seconds and go WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Last edited:
I'm from Pittsburgh and will be at TJT show at Heinz Field as well as in Cleveland. I also saw the 360 tour in Pittsburgh.

I would say that the biggest reason that tickets aren't selling in Pittsburgh is because the band is also playing in Cleveland, which is only 2 1/2 - 3 hours away. The Cleveland concert is on a Saturday, while Pittsburgh is smack dab in the middle of the week on a Wednesday.

On 360, the Pittsburgh show sold very well, but it was also initially the last show of the tour. They haven't played Cleveland since Vertigo, which is another reason why that show is sold out.

As for Pittsburgh records, that '85 Springsteen show is indeed the record holder for largest crowd. They had seats behind the stage, similar to the picture above. I found a picture of that show before, so if I can find it, I'll post it.

Also, I wish that Metallica was coming here, but it realistically wouldn't have sold well, especially with their prices.

Remember though, Metallica is touring and promoting a brand new album of new songs. U2 is doing a nostalgia tour essentially. U2 given what they are doing you would expect to do well. Metallica on the other hand has never soldout or filled stadiums in the United States without multiple very popular support acts. For the first time in Metallica's career, they are actually selling out or filling up stadiums on their own strength with little or no help from the far less well known two support acts they have in North America. This is the best business Metallica has ever done in North America given the relative weakness of the support act and the number of tickets being sold at these prices. So its really not fair to compare the two tours. Comparing the Innocence And Experience Tour to Metallica's current tour would be the correct comparison.

I feel like Pittsburgh would be more of a metallica town, but that might just be my ignorance...

U2 looks slightly better in Houston
And in Miami it's not even close. Wow. Metallica is really struggling there. Prices look a little bit lowered, and they are only playing about half the stadium, about 7500 seats unsold, and floor is dark blue, meaning a large amount there left as well... U2 is playing to a larger area of the stadium and sold that out pretty early on.

But Metallica is still filling the stadium or coming close to it. Realize that when Metallica played South Florida in 2004 on the St. Anger Tour, they were only able to play ONE arena show and it was only a little more than half filled with 11,000 people there. This show in Miami will have more than 30,000 people there which is a massive improvement from the 2004 show. Plus once again, Metallica are not on a nostalgia tour but promoting a new album. Lets see what the Innocence And Experience tour does once it visits South Florida. That would be an even comparison.

So I just added up all the tickets remaining . .

This does NOT include: GA for Pittsburgh and Louisville, 2nd Chicago or New Jersey how, or the festival in Tennessee.

There are over 13000 tickets unsold.

With the GA added, probably between 15000 -- 16000.

Ouch.

At a minimum that's over 15 million in lost revenue.

Back
Top Bottom