Will U2 sell the remaining tickets to make this tour a complete sell out? - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > The Joshua Tree 2017 - Tour Central > General Tour Discussion
Click Here to Login

Old 05-10-2017, 11:54 AM   #106
The Fly

Local Time: 08:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMacPhisto View Post
Acts like Madonna and Beyonce and Justin Timberlake have the highest average cost for tickets in the business (even though they are solo acts). Performers that young girls loved and can now pay exorbitant amounts of money to go see. I call it the "trophy wife" shows because if you're just some woman who is a trophy wife and not that into music but want to go see a show, should anyone be shocked when they want to go see the former frontperson of N*SYNC or Destiny's Child? They sure as hell aren't going to be as interested in seeing U2 or The Who. Likewise, if their partner has the money, why would they really care if tickets are $600 for the floor or whatever? Drop in the bucket to please their spouse.

To me, it's just unreasonable. Like, I can't fathom shows where the average ticket price is $300 especially when all the leftover profit is going to one performer. Taylor Swift, for example, sure as hell can't charge that even though she is a much bigger act currently than any of those names because her fanbase is a lot of young women.

I call them the "WOOOO Girls" at concerts. You know...the women who just go "WOOOOOOOOO" all the time and take 100 selfies with their friends, surrounding fans be damned, sloshing cheap wine all over the row in front of them. WOOOOOOOOO

Their natural match are the Shot Guys. The guys who keep disappearing to the bar to get shots for everyone, and make a scene worthy of a movie about their shot drinking. These guys eventually turn into "violent fight guy", but the problem is they move in packs so having an issue with one turns into "Violent Fight Pack"

Old 05-10-2017, 01:14 PM   #107
Acrobat

Local Time: 11:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_acrobat View Post
Probably in the 80's the safety restrictions for amount of people on the field aren't as strict as they are now, which is why he was able to get more on the field. Pretty impressive figure for Bruce!

I imagine this year's show in Pittsburgh will still be better attended than the Zoo TV show in Pittsburgh, and definitely the Popmart show. I predict somewhere just north of 45,000, unless they radically slash prices and advertise the shit out of it.
A boxscore was never reported for Joshua Tree Pittsburgh in 1987. I saw an estimate of 40,000 but I don't know how accurate that is, about the same as the ZOO TV show. You have to say though they are doing pretty good IF this show gets a higher attendance than the original Joshua Tree show.

Old 05-10-2017, 01:22 PM   #108
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 03:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono2017 View Post
A boxscore was never reported for Joshua Tree Pittsburgh in 1987. I saw an estimate of 40,000 but I don't know how accurate that is, about the same as the ZOO TV show. You have to say though they are doing pretty good IF this show gets a higher attendance than the original Joshua Tree show.
Agreed. Especially at 10 times the price. Well, with inflation, we'll call it 3 times the price.
Also, I've said it before, but I don't recall a more competitive concert season than this year. There are big bands with lots of fan crossover with U2, and tons of festivals. So for them to have a nearly sold out stadium tour is quite impressive.
Old 05-10-2017, 02:21 PM   #109
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono2017 View Post
Since no one has ever done multiple stadium shows in Pittsburgh on the same tour, the following boxscore by Bruce Springsteen is probably the attendance record for a concert in the Pittsburgh area.

Bruce Springsteen
August 11, 1985
Pittsburgh Pennsylvania
Three Rivers Stadium
GROSS: $1,140,125
ATTENDANCE: 65,150
SHOWS: 1
SELLOUTS: 1
Average Ticket Price: $17.50

This is about 10,000 more than the U2 360 show and Taylor Swift shows at Heinz Field which are the largest shows to my knowledge that have taken place at Heinz field. PNC park is much smaller and max capacity shows would come nowhere near 65,150. Interesting thing about the attendance figure is that it is 6,000 more than the capacity for Three Rivers stadium and that is with a stage that is blocking out perhaps 25% of those seats. The field must of had 20,000 to 25,000 people.

U2's concert in Pittsburgh this year will be the 5th time they have played a stadium show in Pittsburgh which I believe is more than any other artist. The Rolling Stones have done 4 stadium shows in Pittsburgh and Pink Floyd has done 3.
Did the Bruce 1985 Pittsburgh have some rear stage seating some handful of his shows that year?

http://www.ourloveisreal.it/images/g...ssiro85/01.jpg
Old 05-10-2017, 02:22 PM   #110
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 07:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wide Awake n AZ View Post
I call them the "WOOOO Girls" at concerts. You know...the women who just go "WOOOOOOOOO" all the time and take 100 selfies with their friends, surrounding fans be damned, sloshing cheap wine all over the row in front of them. WOOOOOOOOO
Old 05-10-2017, 07:46 PM   #111
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2FanPeter View Post
Did the Bruce 1985 Pittsburgh have some rear stage seating some handful of his shows that year?

http://www.ourloveisreal.it/images/g...ssiro85/01.jpg

WTF? I assume there was no backdrop behind the stage? I hope those tickets were CHEAP!
Old 05-11-2017, 02:08 PM   #112
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Just trying to get a comparison of Metallica and U2 in the same venue, in a city that probably has about equal type of fan - Seattle.
Just checked out Metallica on Ticketmaster at CLink and they have at least 5,000 seats unsold and the floor still is medium blue, meaning several thousand left there as well...
Old 05-11-2017, 02:31 PM   #113
The Fly

Local Time: 10:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by womanfish View Post
Just trying to get a comparison of Metallica and U2 in the same venue, in a city that probably has about equal type of fan - Seattle.
Just checked out Metallica on Ticketmaster at CLink and they have at least 5,000 seats unsold and the floor still is medium blue, meaning several thousand left there as well...
I would love to compare Metallica to U2 for Pittsburgh.

Only thing is that Metallica was wise enough not to book a gig in Pittsburgh.

However, U2 and Metallica in Philly are basically the same. U2 has old out and Metallica is as good as a sell out.
Old 05-11-2017, 02:44 PM   #114
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Fly View Post
I would love to compare Metallica to U2 for Pittsburgh.

Only thing is that Metallica was wise enough not to book a gig in Pittsburgh.

However, U2 and Metallica in Philly are basically the same. U2 has old out and Metallica is as good as a sell out.
I feel like Pittsburgh would be more of a metallica town, but that might just be my ignorance...

U2 looks slightly better in Houston
And in Miami it's not even close. Wow. Metallica is really struggling there. Prices look a little bit lowered, and they are only playing about half the stadium, about 7500 seats unsold, and floor is dark blue, meaning a large amount there left as well... U2 is playing to a larger area of the stadium and sold that out pretty early on.
Old 05-11-2017, 07:37 PM   #115
Refugee

Local Time: 07:55 AM
Quote:

If Metallica's GA tickets were priced like U2's I definitely would've bought a GA ticket...but they were $150 with fees bringing it up to $175, fuck that. I ended up getting nosebleeds
Old 05-12-2017, 03:38 PM   #116
The Fly

Local Time: 08:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
Old 05-12-2017, 07:47 PM   #117
Babyface

Will U2 sell the remaining tickets to make this tour a complete sell out?

I'm from Pittsburgh and will be at TJT show at Heinz Field as well as in Cleveland. I also saw the 360 tour in Pittsburgh.

I would say that the biggest reason that tickets aren't selling in Pittsburgh is because the band is also playing in Cleveland, which is only 2 1/2 - 3 hours away. The Cleveland concert is on a Saturday, while Pittsburgh is smack dab in the middle of the week on a Wednesday.

On 360, the Pittsburgh show sold very well, but it was also initially the last show of the tour. They haven't played Cleveland since Vertigo, which is another reason why that show is sold out.

As for Pittsburgh records, that '85 Springsteen show is indeed the record holder for largest crowd. They had seats behind the stage, similar to the picture above. I found a picture of that show before, so if I can find it, I'll post it.

Also, I wish that Metallica was coming here, but it realistically wouldn't have sold well, especially with their prices.
Old 05-13-2017, 11:23 AM   #118
Acrobat

Quote:
Remember though, Metallica is touring and promoting a brand new album of new songs. U2 is doing a nostalgia tour essentially. U2 given what they are doing you would expect to do well. Metallica on the other hand has never soldout or filled stadiums in the United States without multiple very popular support acts. For the first time in Metallica's career, they are actually selling out or filling up stadiums on their own strength with little or no help from the far less well known two support acts they have in North America. This is the best business Metallica has ever done in North America given the relative weakness of the support act and the number of tickets being sold at these prices. So its really not fair to compare the two tours. Comparing the Innocence And Experience Tour to Metallica's current tour would be the correct comparison.
Old 05-13-2017, 11:28 AM   #119
Acrobat

Quote:
I feel like Pittsburgh would be more of a metallica town, but that might just be my ignorance...

U2 looks slightly better in Houston
And in Miami it's not even close. Wow. Metallica is really struggling there. Prices look a little bit lowered, and they are only playing about half the stadium, about 7500 seats unsold, and floor is dark blue, meaning a large amount there left as well... U2 is playing to a larger area of the stadium and sold that out pretty early on.
But Metallica is still filling the stadium or coming close to it. Realize that when Metallica played South Florida in 2004 on the St. Anger Tour, they were only able to play ONE arena show and it was only a little more than half filled with 11,000 people there. This show in Miami will have more than 30,000 people there which is a massive improvement from the 2004 show. Plus once again, Metallica are not on a nostalgia tour but promoting a new album. Lets see what the Innocence And Experience tour does once it visits South Florida. That would be an even comparison.
Old 05-13-2017, 08:27 PM   #120
The Fly

Local Time: 10:55 AM
So I just added up all the tickets remaining . .

This does NOT include: GA for Pittsburgh and Louisville, 2nd Chicago or New Jersey how, or the festival in Tennessee.

There are over 13000 tickets unsold.

With the GA added, probably between 15000 -- 16000.

Ouch.

At a minimum that's over 15 million in lost revenue.