Will U2 sell the remaining tickets to make this tour a complete sell out?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Aren't there political reasons for skipping Arizona? Even more so than the 6-8 red state shows they are doing in 2017.

They've had other North American tour closers that didn't sell out. Even an arena show in 2001(Britney has venue record 2,000 more people than U2 in Miami).

The Miami, Fort Lauderdale, West Palm Beach metro area had already been played by U2 twice on the Elevation tour before the Miami show. Thats a total of 3 soldout or filled up arena shows in that metro area coming off of a previous low point in the bands career.

The Miami, Fort Lauderdale, West Palm Beach metro area had already been played by U2 twice on the Elevation tour before the Miami show. Thats a total of 3 soldout or filled up arena shows in that metro area coming off of a previous low point in the bands career.

The first two shows in Miami were at the beginning of the tour, almost a year earlier, and were sold out in full.

The "closer" in Miami was around a year later, with the upper back sections blocked off.

Then over in Tampa the upper and lower were blocked off for that tour.

Now the Vertigo tour was a full sell out for both cities, but those weren't end of the tour shows as far as I remember.

I thought Phoenix was a U2 town and then saw only 33,000 people show up to Sun Devil Stadium concert on POPMART just under 10 years after all the Joshua Tree stuff. I thought Denver was a "U2 Town" as well, but only 28,000 showed up at Mile High Stadium for POPMART. Despite these cities having great U2 history, it does not make them forever great U2 markets. 10 years let alone 30 years is a long time. Demographics change.

Joshua Tree show = Joshua Tree show.

Big difference. There would not have been big "return of the Joshua Tree" pieces on local media for Popmart.

Plus, Popmart bled in lots of places

Aren't there political reasons for skipping Arizona? Even more so than the 6-8 red state shows they are doing in 2017.

They've had other North American tour closers that didn't sell out. Even an arena show in 2001(Britney has venue record 2,000 more people than U2 in Miami).

I'm very surprised U2 was able to sell out before Vertigo. It was only during Vertigo that Adam bloomed into Silver Fox smiley butterfly. I, for one, would not attend an Elevation because the pilgrimage is not worthy it to see quiet Elevation Adam's back :lol:

Butt seriously. I don't get why demand doesn't redistribute itself somewhat. For instance, I have to travel to any show: I could pick Chicago (sold out, way stressful GA, ~$300/night hotel) or I could travel to Pittsburgh.

Why is everyone flocking to the major markets? Because the band would be more energized (compared to say, Houston, Arlington, Pittsburgh, Louisville)? Because the major markets might get 1-2 rare song treats per night?

Anyway, I'd like GA shenanigans as peaceful as a U2 show can be. That's why I chose the quiet shows :shifty:

I'm very surprised U2 was able to sell out before Vertigo. It was only during Vertigo that Adam bloomed into Silver Fox smiley butterfly. I, for one, would not attend an Elevation because the pilgrimage is not worthy it to see quiet Elevation Adam's back :lol:

Butt seriously. I don't get why demand doesn't redistribute itself somewhat. For instance, I have to travel to any show: I could pick Chicago (sold out, way stressful GA, ~$300/night hotel) or I could travel to Pittsburgh.

Why is everyone flocking to the major markets? Because the band would be more energized (compared to say, Houston, Arlington, Pittsburgh, Louisville)? Because the major markets might get 1-2 rare song treats per night?

Anyway, I'd like GA shenanigans as peaceful as a U2 show can be. That's why I chose the quiet shows :shifty:

I'm lucky enough to live (sort of) in one of the quiet markets you mentioned, so I'm following your logic by default this tour.

However, back in 2009 when I lived in Austin and didn't have a local show, making the perhaps somewhat ridiculous pilgrimage to Chicago was an incredible experience, partially because it was a major market and you could see a lot of U2 excitement across the city. So I don't blame people, to some extent.

Well, major markets plain and simple have larger populations. The biggest reason Chicago sells more tix than Pittsburgh is that simple, not the few hundred travelers. And if you are a traveler, you might pick a city with more to do while you pretend to wait in GA line for a couple of days. Chicago or LA or NYC will be more appealing on that front than Pittsburgh or Louisville for most.

The first two shows in Miami were at the beginning of the tour, almost a year earlier, and were sold out in full.

Both shows were in 2001. Opener and closer took place 8 months and 10 days apart. That's not a year. U2 did good business in South Florida on the Elevation tour.

I don't get why demand doesn't redistribute itself somewhat. For instance, I have to travel to any show: I could pick Chicago (sold out, way stressful GA, ~$300/night hotel) or I could travel to Pittsburgh.

Why is everyone flocking to the major markets?

Back to back shows in NYC/LA/Chi with setlist variation.

Both shows were in 2001. Opener and closer took place 8 months and 10 days apart. That's not a year. U2 did good business in South Florida on the Elevation tour.

While some tour closers do better for U2, it's no guarantee of an automatic sell out in a stadium or arena. Cleveland 2017 would like still be sold out whether or not it's the last North American show.

"Both shows?"

U2 performed two shows in Miami at the beginning of the ET. Then later, at or near the end of the tour, one show in Miami.

It was the later show that had the upper sections closed off. Tampa was a little worse, in that it had everything closed off behind the stage, both upper and lower.

Boxscore should be up for the first few shows soon. The most recent have some shows from early May on there... PS. It seems that Coldplay is huge in Indonesia. :huh:

Coldplay just crossed $307 million in total gross for their current Head Full Of Dreams tour. Its now at #12 on the all time grossing tours list. But it still has 34 more stadium shows and 8 arena shows to go before it is done. When the tour finishes in October, the potential gross for the entire tour could be as high as $500 million making it the third highest grossing tour of all time. Coldplay are definitely the most popular band in the world now.

"Both shows?"

U2 performed two shows in Miami at the beginning of the ET. Then later, at or near the end of the tour, one show in Miami.

It was the later show that had the upper sections closed off. Tampa was a little worse, in that it had everything closed off behind the stage, both upper and lower.

I meant both show stops, a stop in March 2001 with two shows and one in December 2001 with one show. Much better business than POPMART and that POPMART Miami show was one of the better attended North American shows.

Coldplay just crossed $307 million in total gross for their current Head Full Of Dreams tour. Its now at #12 on the all time grossing tours list. But it still has 34 more stadium shows and 8 arena shows to go before it is done. When the tour finishes in October, the potential gross for the entire tour could be as high as $500 million making it the third highest grossing tour of all time. Coldplay are definitely the most popular band in the world now.

Those guys tour relentlessly and go to places that don't get a lot of big acts... respect their grind.

They sell a lot of records aswell but you've got to remember Coldplay are nearly 20 years younger then u2. There still a relevant cool hip band probably were u2 were up until about 2005. Theve not hit that uncool dad rock faze yet

I used to love them but the past few records have been made to appeal to the modern day music people. Problem I've got with that is modern day music stinks. There doesn't seem to be any boundaries with them, they will do anything to be bigger. From going on X factor to playing some really bad radio stations festival. We're Justin biebers on the bill. They don't seem to have any rock n roll soul. Just doesn't sit right with me. Hearing Katy perry coldplay then Justin bieber :)

I really think u2 are by far the bigger concert draw though. If u combine concert and record sales Coldplay are 100% bigger

Last edited:
By the looks of things from the nights that still have tickets available, there are still a few thousand tickets yet to be sold.

And a whole lot more just got added to the Houston show. Seats that were grayed out before, implying they were sold, but now suddenly available.

Typical TicketMaster.

I was going to ask if they have dropped prices on TM to sell more seats on night 2, but just realized the Rose Bowl is the first two-night stop.

Any ideas on if the TM seats, of which there seem to be plenty, will get a price cut today?

IMO they'd be silly not to.... but it risks alienating the guy next to you that paid full price two or three months ago.

Thoughts?

Any ideas on if the TM seats, of which there seem to be plenty, will get a price cut today?

IMO they'd be silly not to.... but it risks alienating the guy next to you that paid full price two or three months ago.

Thoughts?

Not possible to do without refunding the difference for those who paid the original price for a given ticket.

Or else, yeah, you'd piss off a lot of people.

Not to insult anyone's financial situation, but the cheap seats for U2 are generally as cheap as any get for a big tour. I'd think it unreasonable to expect them to dip lower.

Compare their floor tickets to Metallica's for one example.

I really think u2 are by far the bigger concert draw though.

U2 would still have to be at 360 levels of demand for that to be the case. In the United States as seen, by the innocence and experience tour, they have fallen back to their POPMART level of demand. I'm not including the Joshua Tree Tour 2017 in this because it is a one off nostalgia series of concerts and not a reflection of current popularity based on the bands latest music.

Not possible to do without refunding the difference for those who paid the original price for a given ticket.

Or else, yeah, you'd piss off a lot of people.

Oh it can be done, and it is done.
Guns n Roses did it last year. They dropped prices on lots of seats twice for the 2nd Foxboro show.
I thought I made a score when they dropped seats from $280 to $155 in a very good location, only to be miffed when they dropped them again a few days before the show to $100. I called TM to try and get the difference refunded, got the answer that they state prices are subject to change in their terms and that's that.
I went three people up the ladder before getting a supervisor to drop the TM fees off the order, but basically the people who paid the higher price are SOL and usually unaware when this happens, but it does happen.

They also increase the price from time to time (not a shock there obviously).

Oh it can be done, and it is done.
Guns n Roses did it last year. They dropped prices on lots of seats twice for the 2nd Foxboro show.
I thought I made a score when they dropped seats from $280 to $155 in a very good location, only to be miffed when they dropped them again a few days before the show to $100. I called TM to try and get the difference refunded, got the answer that they state prices are subject to change in their terms and that's that.
I went three people up the ladder before getting a supervisor to drop the TM fees off the order, but basically the people who paid the higher price are SOL and usually unaware when this happens, but it does happen.

They also increase the price from time to time (not a shock there obviously).

Good info. Thanks.

In spite of my objections, I kind of suspected that TM could pull something akin to "prices are subject to change" and all.

As a die-hard fan, I'll grab a U2 ticket as soon as they go on sale. But I'll keep in mind the potential drop in price for other acts in the future.

Price drops happen all the time. Can't tell you how many bands i've seen start advertising half price tickets on groupon and shit when they can't sell half their tickets.
U2 is doing phenomenally well on tour sales wise.
I think if the band does any price drops, it would be to an already established price tier so customers couldn't really expect a refund. 150 tickets dropped to 100, or 75, like the tickets in an adjacent section for example.
The fact that this is even only a consideration in 2 or 3 stops of a stadium tour just shows how good sales have been.

Looks like a pretty full house to me. Even if there are a couple thousand unsold tickets, they have ways of making it look sold out anyway. I'd still bet this show was most sold out.

Looks like a pretty full house to me. Even if there are a couple thousand unsold tickets, they have ways of making it look sold out anyway. I'd still bet this show was most sold out.

I didnt click play to avoid spoilers, but even front rail looked very far from the stage! Much further than 360 tour! Is this true? Can the band see you if you're in the first 3 rows?

(I will never be in front, not even on Adam's side. But this is a stage question)

I didnt click play to avoid spoilers, but even front rail looked very far from the stage! Much further than 360 tour! Is this true? Can the band see you if you're in the first 3 rows?

(I will never be in front, not even on Adam's side. But this is a stage question)
It's that distance at every show, and spoiler alert, they played Streets.

Back
Top Bottom