Will U2 sell the remaining tickets to make this tour a complete sell out?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I still find that VERY strange. On Elevation and Vertigo tours they easily sold out 2 nights at the same arena, and on 360 in Denver they played to over 70,000. For I&E, They only sold 28,000 / 36,000 possible tickets. I guess in the aftermath of SOI their image took a major hit, they weren't the "must-see" show at that moment.

The fact that the shows this summer have sold so well tells me that no permanent damage was done to their reputation, but people were just a little put off in 2015.

Well, I would say using this the Joshua Tree Tour 2017 as a gauge as to whether demand is up or down for the band live is probably not very accurate. This years tour has a limited number of shows and is a unique nostalgia event that will bring out all types of fans. I'd expect you'll see demand levels return to what they were when the Innocence And Experience Tour continues. They'll be keeping that in arenas. Although this years tour is more in demand, notice they did not book a show in Denver.

You can't remove seats from circulation. The Denver shows started off initially with lower capacities. As more tickets were sold, more were released. If any ticket released is not sold, then the concert is not a sellout. The promoter gauges the further release of tickets tightly to insure a sellout, but this does not always happen. That's how the Denver shows got marked as sellouts just like any other show over the past 40 odd years. In 2001, the Elevation Pittsburgh show I went to sold lower level rear stage seats, but not anything in the upper level rear stage even though there were people locked outside without tickets. They new they could sell the remaining tickets in the lower level rear stage, but dare not open up the upper level because they were unlikely to sell all of what would be released and it would look better to have the entire area empty instead of have just a few dozen seats filled.

You absolutely can take tickets off the market if they haven't been sold, and close down sections if they've sold poorly with the intention of relocating the small number of people who bought said tickets.

People arrived at Denver to find the sections they had purchased were curtained off, and had to get different tickets in different sections. This was well documented here. Perhaps this was before you created your new handle, sting, so I can't fault you for not remembering.

This happens a lot actually, just not usually with U2. I have had my seats relocated due to poor sales at concerts of Muse, Kings of Leon, and believe it or not, Bruce Springsteen. Standard industry practice actually.

Last edited:
Well, I would say using this the Joshua Tree Tour 2017 as a gauge as to whether demand is up or down for the band live is probably not very accurate. This years tour has a limited number of shows and is a unique nostalgia event that will bring out all types of fans. I'd expect you'll see demand levels return to what they were when the Innocence And Experience Tour continues. They'll be keeping that in arenas. Although this years tour is more in demand, notice they did not book a show in Denver.

There is an entitled expectation from many U2 fans that the i+e tour will return next year in Arena format back to the United States. I certainly hope this is the case, but I doubt it. Speaking from the Miami point of view, where I live and am from, a return of U2 next year months after filling out 70,000 seat Hard Rock Stadium seems like overkill.

Don't be stunned if your expectations of i+e arena tour returning to America don't come to pass.

You absolutely can take tickets off the market if they haven't been sold, and close down sections if they've sold poorly with the intention of relocating the small number of people who bought said tickets.

People arrived at Denver to find the sections they had purchased were curtained off, and had to get different tickets in different sections. This was well documented here. Perhaps this was before you created your new handle, sting, so I can't fault you for not remembering.

The people are not given different tickets. They simply get to sit in a different part of the venue. Thats not pulling tickets out of circulation, that is just moving a body to a different place for the show. Happened often on POPMART. Whats a "handle" and you can call me Bono by the way.

This happens a lot actually, just not usually with U2. I have had my seats relocated due to poor sales at concerts of Muse, Kings of Leon, and believe it or not, Bruce Springsteen. Standard industry practice actually.

Yes, but being relocated is not the same as pulling seats from circulation. If that were the case, every concert for the past 40 years would be marked as a sellout, and that is not the case. Not even close. There are plenty of live nation concerts that don't sellout, so if it were some practice by Live Nation, that wouldn't be happening then.

There is an entitled expectation from many U2 fans that the i+e tour will return next year in Arena format back to the United States. I certainly hope this is the case, but I doubt it. Speaking from the Miami point of view, where I live and am from, a return of U2 next year months after filling out 70,000 seat Hard Rock Stadium seems like overkill.

Don't be stunned if your expectations of i+e arena tour returning to America don't come to pass.

It be very unusual that in promoting their latest two albums, Songs Of Innocence and the soon to be released Songs Of Experience that they would not make stop to promote these albums in one of the ten largest markets in the United States. The BB&T center in Fort Lauderdale will probably be getting two shows in 2018. Or they could even do one show at the American Airlines Arena in Miami and one at the BB&T Center in Fort Lauderdale just like Pearl Jam did last year. Its a whole year later, one of the largest metro areas in the United States, and were talking an arena show with just 18,000 tickets to sell as opposed 60,000. Plus, its a totally different type of show from this years Joshua Tree show.

This was the first tour with new management buckeroo...

I'm talking about all artist and whether a show is marked as soldout or not. I don't know what having a new manager in place of Paul McGuinness has to do with this. The live stuff is still handled by Live Nation and Arthur Fogel. Arthur Fogel has been doing work for the band for decades now.

Quebec City x2
Ottawa
Winnipeg x2
Edmonton x2

Portland (2 shows?)
Salt Lake City
Sacramento x2
San Diego x2
Las Vegas x2
San Antonio
Tulsa
New Orleans
Nashville/Memphis
Atlanta x2
Charlotte or Raleigh
D.C.
Philadelphia x2
NYC x2
Hartford
Buffalo
Detroit x2
Columbus
Indianapolis
St. Louis
Kansas City
Omaha
Milwaukee
Minneapolis x2

These are cities where the I&E tour has not visited, and that the JT2017 tour hasn't eaten up all the demand. A city like philly or DC, for example, got a JT stadium show, but no IE shows, and could easily sell out a night or 2 in a arena. They clearly won't play all of these cities, but there is a nice 30+ show NA leg in there, and they're not going to leave that money on the table.

Meanwhile, I don't think that demand is there to bring I&E to places like Seattle, LA, Dallas, Houston, Tampa, mythical Pittsburgh, hillbilly Louisville, or Boston. NYC could do a few shows just because it's NYC. Miami could probably do an arena show next year, 2 might be pushing it.

Last edited:
Fair point. However, you are ignoring the International factor. My take is, U2 will tour the new album. However, rest of the world would get first dibs (fairly, as they havent seen the band since 2011).

So you assume U2 will:
A) Return to Europe
B) Return to America and play mid level cities like Portland or Hartford
C) play rest of the world
D) Be on the road away from their families after playing America and Europe already in 2017

Yeah... I doubt it.

Meanwhile, I don't think that demand is there to bring I&E to places like Seattle, LA, Dallas, Houston, Tampa, mythical Pittsburgh, hillbilly Louisville, or Boston. NYC could do a few shows just because it's NYC. Miami could probably do an arena show next year, 2 might be pushing it.

They will still be able to do single arena shows in Pittsburgh, Seattle, Dallas, Houston, and Tampa. They could probably do an arena show in Lexington Kentucky at the Rupp Arena as well. They may have to current off the rear stage seating for some of these shows, but they will probably sellout in the 270 configuration.

Fair point. However, you are ignoring the International factor. My take is, U2 will tour the new album. However, rest of the world would get first dibs (fairly, as they havent seen the band since 2011).

So you assume U2 will:
A) Return to Europe
B) Return to America and play mid level cities like Portland or Hartford
C) play rest of the world
D) Be on the road away from their families after playing America and Europe already in 2017

Yeah... I doubt it.

They have spent all of 2016 and will be spending most of 2017 with their families or least have the opportunity to. The 2017 tour is short, about 10 weeks. They can spend most of 2018 on the road no problem doing 120 arena shows around the world. Plus most of their children in their families are adults now or are close to it, so its not the demand it used to be on their time.

I agree that Australia, South America, Asia, South Africa, large sections of Europe should all get shows before they return to the US. That would only be fair. It may not be until 2019, but I am sure the SOE tour will visit the US.

I'm talking about all artist and whether a show is marked as soldout or not. I don't know what having a new manager in place of Paul McGuinness has to do with this. The live stuff is still handled by Live Nation and Arthur Fogel. Arthur Fogel has been doing work for the band for decades now.

So did you choose your original name because of the singer or the wrestler? Or was it something more abstract, like an affinity for bees?

I still find that VERY strange. On Elevation and Vertigo tours they easily sold out 2 nights at the same arena, and on 360 in Denver they played to over 70,000. For I&E, They only sold 28,000 / 36,000 possible tickets. I guess in the aftermath of SOI their image took a major hit, they weren't the "must-see" show at that moment.

The fact that the shows this summer have sold so well tells me that no permanent damage was done to their reputation, but people were just a little put off in 2015.

The 360 tour was huge and a major draw in no small part to that spectacle or a stage, not to mention U2 building off of the Elevation and Vertigo tours (along with successful albums). It was a snowball effect that culminated in the immensely popular 360 tour.

After that, it's hard for the average fan to not shrug and say "I can skip this I&E or Joshua Tree tour -- I saw them not long ago at the 360 show that can't be beat"

In other words I don't think there was a backlash after the Apple download event that would now affect concert ticket sales, but rather, a meh attitude toward the album and the fact that they just toured less than two years ago.

Obviously this tour will not completely sell out 100%. Pittsburgh alone dictates that much. But throw in Louisville to boot.

Tampa will probably sell out, Houston has a chance but it's a little shaky.

Here's an even worse example: For POPMART in Jacksonville, my tickets were oh . . somewhere in the stadium. But when I arrived, they had 90% of the stadium closed off, and the available seats in the stadium were pretty much a free-for-all. We just wandered around and picked a couple of seats at random and that was that.

Quebec City x2
Ottawa
Winnipeg x2
Edmonton x2

Portland (2 shows?)
Salt Lake City
Sacramento x2
San Diego x2
Las Vegas x2
San Antonio
Tulsa
New Orleans
Nashville/Memphis
Atlanta x2
Charlotte or Raleigh
D.C.
Philadelphia x2
NYC x2
Hartford
Buffalo
Detroit x2
Columbus
Indianapolis
St. Louis
Kansas City
Omaha
Milwaukee
Minneapolis x2

These are cities where the I&E tour has not visited, and that the JT2017 tour hasn't eaten up all the demand. A city like philly or DC, for example, got a JT stadium show, but no IE shows, and could easily sell out a night or 2 in a arena. They clearly won't play all of these cities, but there is a nice 30+ show NA leg in there, and they're not going to leave that money on the table.

I seriously doubt San Antonio, Austin is a better bet if they hit TX again.

i can't see them doing any fewer than 4 arena gigs in the NYC area... doesn't mean they all have to be at MSG, could switch between MSG/Barclays and Prudential... but yea.

they did 8 shows on elevation over 2 legs, 10 shows on vertigo over 2 legs and 8 on i/e in one leg... and all sold out. i certainly don't see them going to 8 shows again next year on whatever comes next, but certainly more than 2.

Yeah 4 is probably a more accurate number. Not only is NYC extremely highly populated, it's also a city that's always been very good to U2.

LA is also a very big city, but it's never been as much of a stronghold for U2. They're bigger in Chicago and Boston, for example.

I have a feeling what we saw in 2015 is the future for them when they do arenas, the residency type tour idea.
I think as they are getting older, you won't be seeing itineraries like the one posted above any more.
Shorter tours with fewer stops, multiple shows in big markets when they do arenas. Medium markets only on stadium tours like this summer (Cleveland, Philly, Miami and similar cities) and the odds of them playing cities like Tulsa, Buffalo, Hartford, Sacramento, Omaha, Kansas City etc. ever again is slim.

I also doubt that they'll play cities where they can only do one night in an arena. One night in a stadium, sure, but not an arena. I mean, MAYBE... Columbus we all know was on the itinerary for this coming October 20th, and that's a city I doubt they could sell out 2 shows.

I have a feeling what we saw in 2015 is the future for them when they do arenas, the residency type tour idea.
I think as they are getting older, you won't be seeing itineraries like the one posted above any more.
Shorter tours with fewer stops, multiple shows in big markets when they do arenas. Medium markets only on stadium tours like this summer (Cleveland, Philly, Miami and similar cities) and the odds of them playing cities like Tulsa, Buffalo, Hartford, Sacramento, Omaha, Kansas City etc. ever again is slim.

I happen to agree with every word here.

I read a lot of mid city fans saying: "glad I saved my pre-sale codes for next year's arena tour" and I am wondering, if they are nuts.

Back
Top Bottom