Will U2 sell the remaining tickets to make this tour a complete sell out? - Page 10 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > The Joshua Tree 2017 - Tour Central > General Tour Discussion
Click Here to Login

Old 05-16-2017, 09:21 PM   #136
The Fly

Local Time: 09:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono2017 View Post
Selling 40,000 tickets to one show in Pittsburgh is NOT a flop. The Joshua Tree show there in 1987 and the ZOO TV show there in 1992 only sold roughly that many and they were not considered flops. Most popular artist only are able to play a single arena show to 17,000 people on their Pittsburgh stops. You usually don't see multiple arena dates let alone a stadium being played when it comes to Pittsburgh.
Why play Pittsburgh though? They should have hit any of Denver/Phoenix/Minny instead.

Old 05-16-2017, 09:21 PM   #137
The Fly

Quote:
Selling 40,000 tickets to one show in Pittsburgh is NOT a flop. The Joshua Tree show there in 1987 and the ZOO TV show there in 1992 only sold roughly that many and they were not considered flops. Most popular artist only are able to play a single arena show to 17,000 people on their Pittsburgh stops. You usually don't see multiple arena dates let alone a stadium being played when it comes to Pittsburgh.
Why play Pittsburgh though? They should have hit any of Denver/Phoenix/Minny instead. Or Montreal.

Old 05-17-2017, 09:50 AM   #138
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandesa View Post
When I saw the original tour back in 1987 attendance at CNE in Toronto was 62,846.

Are there any venues given the stage set up, than are going to be that big on this tour?
I'd guess The Rose Bowl will be more, the capacity for football is around 92,000.
They are selling 19 out of 28 sections so that's around 62,500 in the stands, add in 11,000 for the field and we're in the low to mid 70's there.
Old 05-17-2017, 10:03 AM   #139
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandesa View Post
When I saw the original tour back in 1987 attendance at CNE in Toronto was 62,846.

Are there any venues given the stage set up, than are going to be that big on this tour?
I think Seattle was already more than that. I've heard two reports saying 66,000 and "nearly 70,000" for that show...

Rose Bowl definitely will top it.
Old 05-17-2017, 10:43 AM   #140
Blue Crack Distributor

There seem to be a LOT of floor tickets being sold, more than 360, because of the wide open layout.
Old 05-17-2017, 10:55 AM   #141
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgemccauley View Post
Saw that article today. In this day and age it's a great achievement by them. They have done very well with the sales in what might be the last time we witness them on a stadium tour, hope not though. They belong in stadiums!
I've always felt that way too.

I know a lot of people prefer the indoor arenas.

But U2 has a big sound that can fill up an open air stadium like no other.
Old 05-17-2017, 12:38 PM   #142
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Boxscore should be up for the first few shows soon. The most recent have some shows from early May on there... PS. It seems that Coldplay is huge in Indonesia.
Old 05-17-2017, 10:52 PM   #143
Acrobat

Local Time: 05:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie02 View Post
Why play Pittsburgh though? They should have hit any of Denver/Phoenix/Minny instead. Or Montreal.
Pittsburgh was not played on the 2015 Innocence and Experience tour which means there is greater demand there to see U2 than Denver, Phoenix and Montreal which got shows on the 2015 tour. Also, Denver only sold 28,000 tickets for its two shows in 2015 which makes It a bad idea for a stadium show when you need at least 40,000 if not more to make the stadium look full.
Old 05-18-2017, 06:51 AM   #144
The Fly

Quote:
Pittsburgh was not played on the 2015 Innocence and Experience tour which means there is greater demand there to see U2 than Denver, Phoenix and Montreal which got shows on the 2015 tour.
On the other hand, Phoenix sold out two arena shows for the I&E tour..

Not to mention, with the whole Tempe thing back then, it would be a natural fit for U2 to play there it would seem.

Not sure you can judge the demand in Phoenix to be saturated when they sold out two shows in 2015, I'd think that would be a good indication to the contrary.
Old 05-18-2017, 09:58 AM   #145
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Fly View Post
On the other hand, Phoenix sold out two arena shows for the I&E tour..

Not to mention, with the whole Tempe thing back then, it would be a natural fit for U2 to play there it would seem.

Not sure you can judge the demand in Phoenix to be saturated when they sold out two shows in 2015, I'd think that would be a good indication to the contrary.
You can judge it based on how fast the tickets were sold in Phoenix. Tickets for most of the cities sold at a slower pace despite sellouts then in past tours. In addition, any city will naturally be weaker in terms of demand when its already been played recently. Phoenix was played in 2015, Pittsburgh was not. Pittsburgh got the Joshua Tree show. While Phoenix and Denver may have had some historic U2 shows, that does not make them automatic sellout markets for U2. Just look at what happened on POPMART in those cities.
Old 05-18-2017, 04:12 PM   #146
The Fly

Local Time: 02:15 AM
Phoenix is a U2 town. This area has felt connected to the band since the Joshua Tree tour, not only the $5 R&H show that virtually everyone in the state went to (except me...long story I have told), but also due to their first show on the tour running headfirst into the Ev Mecham/MLK Day controversy, and then the Zoo TV tour again running headfirst into the MLK Day controversy (with PE not playing due to it). Add the desert theme, and, yeah....a Joshua Tree themed show in particular would recycle old memories, get massive coverage that a regular U2 show would not, certainly with the local media producing pieces that would tie the two together

Analytics serve as a tool, not as the total answer.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:58 PM   #147
The Fly

Quote:
You can judge it based on how fast the tickets were sold in Phoenix. Tickets for most of the cities sold at a slower pace despite sellouts then in past tours. In addition, any city will naturally be weaker in terms of demand when its already been played recently. Phoenix was played in 2015, Pittsburgh was not. Pittsburgh got the Joshua Tree show. While Phoenix and Denver may have had some historic U2 shows, that does not make them automatic sellout markets for U2. Just look at what happened on POPMART in those cities.
It's in the eye of the beholder then isn't it?

You say two sold out shows equates to over saturation, I say it equates with interest and enthusiasm.

You say a slow sales pace equates with an empty Tempe stadium ala POPMART, I say a sold out show is a sold out show -- especially a sold out I&E tour (not a sure thing in any given city).

Not to dismiss your points, they probably did feel that after two shows there two years ago it might be too soon to return for a stadium show.

But this particular kind of stadium show -- the entire JT performed, well, I just think it would have made sense to play there and the turnout would have been great.
Old 05-18-2017, 09:14 PM   #148
War Child

If Cleveland was NOT the North American tour closer, it would not be sold out (is my guess). Vice versa, if they closed in Pittsburgh or God forbid Louisville, those would sell out as well.
Old 05-18-2017, 09:25 PM   #149
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Aren't there political reasons for skipping Arizona? Even more so than the 6-8 red state shows they are doing in 2017.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hand0lotion View Post
If Cleveland was NOT the North American tour closer, it would not be sold out (is my guess). Vice versa, if they closed in Pittsburgh or God forbid Louisville, those would sell out as well.
They've had other North American tour closers that didn't sell out. Even an arena show in 2001(Britney has venue record 2,000 more people than U2 in Miami).
Old 05-19-2017, 12:13 AM   #150
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wide Awake n AZ View Post
Phoenix is a U2 town. This area has felt connected to the band since the Joshua Tree tour, not only the $5 R&H show that virtually everyone in the state went to (except me...long story I have told), but also due to their first show on the tour running headfirst into the Ev Mecham/MLK Day controversy, and then the Zoo TV tour again running headfirst into the MLK Day controversy (with PE not playing due to it). Add the desert theme, and, yeah....a Joshua Tree themed show in particular would recycle old memories, get massive coverage that a regular U2 show would not, certainly with the local media producing pieces that would tie the two together

Analytics serve as a tool, not as the total answer.
I thought Phoenix was a U2 town and then saw only 33,000 people show up to Sun Devil Stadium concert on POPMART just under 10 years after all the Joshua Tree stuff. I thought Denver was a "U2 Town" as well, but only 28,000 showed up at Mile High Stadium for POPMART. Despite these cities having great U2 history, it does not make them forever great U2 markets. 10 years let alone 30 years is a long time. Demographics change.