Where Did You Stand in Stadium GA?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In the pit, Adam side much more fun than Edge s ... did both. Adam smiles, looks at the crowd. Edge doesn t. Too busy.

Agree. If you want to wave at Edge, B-stage is your best bet when he's away from his pedal bank and he can look up!

Also quite hard to wave at Bono, because he has to "perform to the back of the stadium". Again, your best bet to wave at Bono is at B-stage (where he looks into the crowd more, possibly for someone to pull on-stage).

is waving at a band member really "a thing" that's important to people?

Do you really have to ask that on a forum with people who travel all over the world to spend the night outside a stadium queuing and never see the city they're visiting?

I'm sorry, why exactly is that a question that's offensive?

nah bro, we joshin' an moshin' an lengthen' da thread fer no reasons man.

Op, we've heard rumors that the stage is asymmetrical. Does that mean Edge will have more "rail estate" than Adam? Vice versa? Upthread people said some of Edge's "undernose space" will be RZ. Will RZ be on Edge's side for all venues? Lucky you're doing Chicago so you get to observe a few venus beforehand.

At this point I'm being pretty useless speculating. Vancouver is in 2 weeks, we'll see for certainty then.

Op, we've heard rumors that the stage is asymmetrical. Does that mean Edge will have more "rail estate" than Adam? Vice versa? Upthread people said some of Edge's "undernose space" will be RZ. Will RZ be on Edge's side for all venues? Lucky you're doing Chicago so you get to observe a few venus beforehand.

At this point I'm being pretty useless speculating. Vancouver is in 2 weeks, we'll see for certainty then.

The reason I asked ahead of time was to give the conversation a bit of a head start before the tour began. mostly to get an idea on what everyone's prior experiences were. Of course, we'll all know what this particular GA experience is like a lot better once a few of these shows are played, so I would think this thread will get updated appropriately as the tour gets underway.

Appreciate everyone's responses, btw!

I saw the I&E tour in Amsterdam and underestimated how much energy was in the queue and didn't have a chance.also how tall the Dutch are :doh:

At stadium shows the stage is so high that even for a short-arse like me I don't have any trouble seeing the band (at club gigs you better believe I arrive early enough to be up the front).

Meant to say earlier... for me, the height issue is the only real thing I'd be concerned about if I didn't try to get somewhere near the rail. I'm nearly 6'0, but even I occasionally run into the tall guy in front of me!

Meant to say earlier... for me, the height issue is the only real thing I'd be concerned about if I didn't try to get somewhere near the rail. I'm nearly 6'0, but even I occasionally run into the tall guy in front of me!
I'm 6'4 and usually near or on the rail. Can't help but feel a bit guilty when there are people 5' tall behind me!

Nah, have a look at the pic below. I'm sure all band members will be set up in the central section, it's a big stage, they'll want to be reasonably close to each other. Edge will just be closer to the catwalk than other band members, but his "undernose space" will still be GA. Simiar to ZooTV. So Edge & Adam will have the same "rail estate".

RZ will be on Edge's side for all venues, on the far side of the catwalk.
attachment.php

Bring on Vancouver!

Last edited:
Nah, have a look at the pic below. I'm sure all band members will be set up in the central section, it's a big stage, they'll want to be reasonably close to each other. Edge will just be closer to the catwalk than other band members, but his "undernose space" will still be GA. Simiar to ZooTV. So Edge & Adam will have the same "rail estate".

RZ will be on Edge's side for all venues, on the far side of the catwalk.
attachment.php

Bring on Vancouver!

Darroch that's a great analysis of the pic. So weird of Willie to chuck the B-stage off to the side. So Adam will be furthest from the B-stage. So it's a bit sad that people right under Adam's main spot (like Adam girls or whatnot) will have poor views of the B-stage. Much poorer view of B-stage than people right under Edge's main spot.

Good news for Adam fans is that GA people will rush to the front and congregate around the catwalk (and dead front center of course). So might be thinner right under Adam. idk.

Yep, very similar location to ZooTV. Popmart b-stage was also off-centre, but over to the other side, Adam's side. I think it's good to have the catwalk off-centre, puts GA right in front of Bono. Tonnes of energy there! Think 360 Ultraviolet, with Bono hanging over the crowd, from the steering wheel mic!

Last edited:
Darroch that's a great analysis of the pic. So weird of Willie to chuck the B-stage off to the side. So Adam will be furthest from the B-stage. So it's a bit sad that people right under Adam's main spot (like Adam girls or whatnot) will have poor views of the B-stage. Much poorer view of B-stage than people right under Edge's main spot.

Good news for Adam fans is that GA people will rush to the front and congregate around the catwalk (and dead front center of course). So might be thinner right under Adam. idk.
Yeah, as you say, those in front of Edge will have a closer view of the b-stage. They'll also have more 'band traffic' through the show, as the band members go past them & up catwalk towards the b-stage.

Ha, always a bit more room on Adam's side, as people rush to Edge's side, to see the maestro at work. I think you're right, it will be even more pronounced this tour.

So this type of question might not be more relevant until TJT shows start happening, but I figured I’d ask it now to get a head start and give some people who have similar thoughts a chance to listen too.

I have a GA ticket to each of the Chicago shows in June, and whenever I’ve done GA in the past for U2 shows, I’ve usually been one of those to line up early and get a spot up front. It’s always worked out for me and I’ve liked having a nice place on the rail. And despite the usual ‘list’ drama sometimes and whatever else, the experience itself and meeting people/old acquaintances is always part of the fun too.

This time around, I’m reconsidering things regarding that a little bit. I’ll most likely line up for at least one of the shows, but am considering just going into Soldier Field much later for the other one. It’s mostly because I have friends in the area and know lots of fans by this point, so I might be interested in spending time with them one day that I’m there. The others are various… not really wanting to line up two whole days in a row, the slightly taller stage as compared to an arena one, the potential of driving back home after the Sunday show and wanting to be rested up, etc.

So assuming that’s the case, here’s my question… when any of you went in for GA during the 360 tour (or other ones, even though stadiums might be the most relevant venue here), where did you end up standing during the show? And what time did you go in or get in line in terms of doors opening? I’m not expecting a super-detailed answer or anything, especially since this stage design will obviously differ from 360’s in a few respects. But I want to get a bit of an idea on this before deciding on anything final. I probably wouldn’t be super picky in terms of positioning, although I probably would want to be close enough to get some decent pictures with the point and shoot I usually bring to shows.

For comparison’s sake, I went into a Metallica show last year a few hours after doors opened and just before the second opener went on, and I still had a decent spot 50-75 feet away from the main stage (and plenty good for pics and such). The floor seemed to fill up a bit more just after that, and even though I'd think U2 would be similar, I still want to stack up the experiences here first.

Thanks in advance!

I did GA for all 3 360 shows that I saw. My goal was only to get into the inner ring which I think meant being one of the first 2,000 or so people let in. I only got in the line maybe 1 hour to 30 minutes before they would open the doors to the stadium and let everyone in. Sure there was a lot of people with the same Idea, but essentially anyone in line before they opened the doors got into the inner ring. Then with the bracelet you could come and go as you please, bathroom, food, and make it back into the inner ring. It could be tight in areas with all that moving around, but it also meant that I could find a large number of areas to watch the show from. I found I could get within 10 feet of the main stage from multiple different points inside the inner ring.

For this Joshua Tree Tour 2017, I don't know if there will be an inner ring. I'll probably follow the same strategy though as before. I'll just move through the crowd like I've done before to find whatever I consider to be a good spot. I'm not one of those people that holds a position. I like to eat, drink, go to the bathroom, and in general just move around. I don't really stay in place until U2 comes on, and even then I still might change positions. Thats the great thing about GA.

I would never hold a position on the rail as I don't think its worth the effort of not eating, drinking, going to the bathroom or experiencing the stiffness from not moving for hours. I can avoid all of that and still get a position that is nearly as good without waiting in line all day either.

Eh, I kind of like that there will be fans right up front like that. The i-e stage was neat, but it was a bit weird to have the fans split right down the center. Lost a bit of that front-and-center energy.

Where is the best place to video tape, from the floor?
Does anyone know if Adam Clayton has a significant pedalboard, for this set, because for me that's the clincher.

Unless you're one of the first few dozen onto the field & get rail front & near centre, I think the best place would be b-stage rail. Far side, so you're overlooking the b-stage, when looking back towards the main stage. This way you'll have unobstructed views of the band on the main stage, & the visuals on the screen. Also the rail around the b-stage will be must closer than the main stage rail, so you'll get closer to the band there, at times. The b-stage is much lower than the main stage too, so no problems having to look up.

If you are going to film, please make sure you keep the camera/phone low, with LCD screen turned down (or off if possible), so it's unobtrusive to others.

Last edited:
Why are they already setting up in NRG Stadium when they don't play there until the 24th, 16 days from now. Seems a bit early to be putting up a stage. There was a Vancouver stage picture posted, that shows a rather large RZ section, but I suppose it could be bigger for the first show, but who knows.

I believe this is the vancouver stage....
http://www.u2interference.com/forum...7-rehearsal-thread-220915-37.html#post8159005

Last edited:
Just went through some of the older threads highlighting past issues/experiences with GA lines on previous tours. Maybe someone can enlighten me here...

Before the Elevation tour, were the previous few tours almost strictly seats on the field or was a certain percentage of them GA as we know it today? I imagine a lot of the early shows were GA for the smaller gigs, but now I'm sort of curious as to how this went in the mid-80's to late-90's!

Where do I stand in GA?

I stand in the place where I live, then face north.

On rare occasions, I think about direction and wonder why I haven't before.

Just went through some of the older threads highlighting past issues/experiences with GA lines on previous tours. Maybe someone can enlighten me here...

Before the Elevation tour, were the previous few tours almost strictly seats on the field or was a certain percentage of them GA as we know it today? I imagine a lot of the early shows were GA for the smaller gigs, but now I'm sort of curious as to how this went in the mid-80's to late-90's!

Zoo/pop was generally seated in North America(us/Canada) and GA elsewhere for stadiums. Joshua seems to randomly be seated in some cities and GA in North America, GA elsewhere. Never seen a compiled list for the 87 tour for which was which.

Elevation was likely the first time headlining an arena with GA floor.

Once they hit arenas in the US, it was seated floor.
I didn't do stadium for Joshua Tree( 3 arena shows, all had seats on floor), but as stated by Peter, I think it was a mix.
ZooTV was seats on floor indoors, seats on field outdoors.
Pop was seats on field.
First major tour that featured GA at all shows in the US was Elevation.

Back
Top Bottom