St Louis cancelled

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
See what happens when people try to "stick to politics" -- real life affects even aspect of it. I feel terrible for St. Louis. But I feel most terrible for my black brother and sister who don't feel safe just living their fucking lives.

I'm depressed hearing this news and i wasn't going to the U2 show. But just thinking of how one bad thing leads to more bad things... I'm just very very pissed off.

See what happens when people try to "stick to politics" -- real life affects even aspect of it. I feel terrible for St. Louis. But I feel most terrible for my black brother and sister who don't feel safe just living their fucking lives.

I'm depressed hearing this news and i wasn't going to the U2 show. But just thinking of how one bad thing leads to more bad things... I'm just very very pissed off.

While standing in the airport, waiting to board leaving New Orleans, a police officer (plain clothes on the same flight) saw my U2 shirt and came up to me and we spoke for a good while. I told him I had been thinking of going to St Louis instead of New Orleans for the show.

He then told me I made the right decision and went on to explain what was about to happen in St Louis, plus a whole lot more behind-the-scenes stuff from a guy serving there since the early 90's. He told me everything would be hitting CNN soon.

But neither of us discussed the possibility of the tour being cancelled. Though after he told me that people would be laying down in the road blocking the concert, and demonstrating at the concert, we should have guessed that this would happen.

Wow. And to think that this band hardly cancels a show, they always tend to postpone. I guess the way that the tour's scheduled doesn't allow them to. To those who are in St. Louis and surrounding areas, please stay safe.

I think this is the first time U2 have outright CANCELLED a concert since the Raleigh show on Popmart. They've postponed shows that were later rescheduled, but they rarely outright cancel. For them to not even try to reschedule probably means that they are left with no other option at this time. Most unfortunate. I'm not going to comment on the reasons for the riots, 1. because I'm not as informed as I should be, and 2. I make it a point to never debate political matters with strangers on the internet. I definitely understand their reason for canceling, the local police have more pressing matters to deal with. If tonight were something like a football game, that too would have been cancelled.

I feel bad for all the fans who altered their lives to make plans to go to this show, especially those who were traveling from a far distance. I suppose now St. Louis will be played on the next tour, so look forward to that. Stay safe, everybody!

Wow. Scary and sad. What is this about do we think?

Edit: Shit, I guess there are protests happening there right now? I had no idea. I hope everyone stays safe and the protests can protest peacefully.

I would have imagined playing the show could have been a perfect opportunity to deliver the message they're supposedly trying to deliver on this tour...

I guess if the concern for public safety was that large, ok... but I'd hope they'd at least put out their own statement rather than let LiveNation do it.

I would have imagined playing the show could have been a perfect opportunity to deliver the message they're supposedly trying to deliver on this tour...

I guess if the concern for public safety was that large, ok... but I'd hope they'd at least put out their own statement rather than let LiveNation do it.
It's a joint statement..

There may be other information that we're not privy to, specific to the safety of all, that necessitates cancelation.

I think this is the first time U2 have outright CANCELLED a concert since the Raleigh show on Popmart. They've postponed shows that were later rescheduled, but they rarely outright cancel.

Yep, that's right. Every show since Popmart Raleigh that's not taken place on the originally intended date has been rescheduled (e.g. Australia 2006, North America 2010, Stockholm and Paris 2015).

Seems fair to me, however galling it is for fans - sounds like police are pretty stretched just dealing with the protests and can't spare personnel for a gig.

Posted in the tour dates thread as well...

Absolutely heartbroken at the news and the entire situation. We've planned this trip for months and travelled a great distance to experience this but totally appreciate the gravity of what's going on. Praying for all the families involved and that St. Louis stays safe

Yeah, the clear message seems to be that there wouldn't be enough police & crowd control personnel to cover a stadium show.

It could have been an emotionally powerful show, but the cancellation is understandable, in this day and age.

Sorry for all those who travelled, especially those who had this as their only show. But yeah ... tough spot.

The venue is on the border of one of the most violent areas in the US on a normal day. This was absolutely the right decision by Live Nation/U2.

Sad outcome for sure.

Drove down from Chicago for the concert (I know many people traveled a greater distance). Definitely disappointing. I do understand their thought process though as the police are "all hands on deck" elsewhere.

I've seen the show twice already so I guess I mostly feel for those fans local to St Louis who had this date circled for months as their chance to see the tour.

Yet another reason to condemn violent protest. It forces U2 to cancel concerts. Thank you violent idiots.

I would have imagined playing the show could have been a perfect opportunity to deliver the message they're supposedly trying to deliver on this tour....

U2's "message" should be what it always has been. Non-violence. I certainly hope Bono's smart enough not to wade into commentary on the US criminal justice system.

So the question is, will Bono stay consistent with his commitment to non-violence when he inevitably comments on this in Glendale in a few days.

Last edited:
I'm not saying the concert shouldn't have been canceled. I'm saying that this was a moment to walk the walk and talk the talk, and it went by with a very business like "joint" statement (which is another way of saying a statement written by a PR person and LiveNation that they also tacked U2's name onto).

U2's "message" should be what it always has been. Non-violence. I certainly hope Bono's smart enough not to wade into commentary on the US criminal justice system.

So the question is, will Bono stay consistent with his life long commitment to non-violence when he inevitably comments on this in Glendale in a few days.

There isn't an eye roll emjoi big enough for this.

I'm not talking about Bono's generalised comments about injustice and human rights. He's always done that.

But that's different from getting into the weeds on a specific case he probably doesn't know much about or understand.

Last edited:
I was at Stockholm during SoE whrn a gunman got in. I was sitting in the seats when we had to leave the Globe. It sucked!

Well I was about to comment on my little 5 hour drive to nowhere this morning, but I see some assholes have already decided to make this a political thread.

"Hands up, Don't Shoot" became a slogan for a movement. That's an area that Bono's firmly comfortable in (i.e. slogans). And in any event, repeating it doesn't mean Bono has any kind of expertise on the the criminal justice system. That's like saying everyone who chanted that slogan has some kind of expertise or even real knowledge about the intricacies of that case.

As I said, he speaks in generalities. I don't expect him to get into the specifics of this case. I doubt he's going to on about reasonable doubt and mens rea and criminal intent and the burden of proof. So yes, he might speak in general about civil rights and racism, but I doubt he's going to say anything about the outcome of this specific case.

And if his level of understanding is anything like most of the comments on I see online regarding this case, he shouldn't.

Last edited:
I forget, you're an expert on everything.
ritter.gif

Back
Top Bottom