St Louis cancelled - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > The Joshua Tree 2017 - Tour Central > General Tour Discussion
Click Here to Login

Old 09-17-2017, 09:57 PM   #76
The Fly

Local Time: 08:45 AM
We were traveling in an Uber and the driver told us she drove from techs for the concert to the airport and they weren't annoyed it was cancelled cause for some reason their schedule was pretty squeezed fitting in St. Louis and Phoenix. Strange

Old 09-18-2017, 03:36 AM   #77
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Sadly it takes a only handful committed to violence to ruin and taint the efforts of peaceful protesters. It's a pity U2 had to cancel their show as police were needed elsewhere to deal with that resulting chaos, but hopefully all heeded their message echoing the words of Dr. King that when it comes to civil disobedience, non-violence is the answer.

So say we all.

Old 09-19-2017, 02:43 PM   #78
War Child

Local Time: 04:45 AM
I've always heard that St. Louis is a very dangerous city with lots of racial tension and heavy segregation. No wonder it is a such a cheap place to live?

It was a good decision that U2 cancelled the show since the theme of the tour doesn't really match the current setting at the city, of course it is a pity that the fans going to the show got notified on the same day.
Old 09-19-2017, 10:28 PM   #79
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 12:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick66 View Post
Sadly it takes a only handful committed to violence to ruin and taint the efforts of peaceful protesters. It's a pity U2 had to cancel their show as police were needed elsewhere to deal with that resulting chaos, but hopefully all heeded their message echoing the words of Dr. King that when it comes to civil disobedience, non-violence is the answer.

So say we all.
Amen to this.
Old 09-19-2017, 10:40 PM   #80
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 07:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfit00 View Post
I've always heard that St. Louis is a very dangerous city with lots of racial tension and heavy segregation. No wonder it is a such a cheap place to live?

It was a good decision that U2 cancelled the show since the theme of the tour doesn't really match the current setting at the city, of course it is a pity that the fans going to the show got notified on the same day.
Maybe try going there before mouthing off?

I felt safer wandering around St Louis than around some other North American cities earlier this year. Locals told me some areas were a bit dodgy - I think they mentioned some northern suburbs - but the central city and inner suburban areas I walked around/took the train to were fine.

East St Louis, across the Mississippi in Illinois, is a real eye-opener into urban decay and a downtrodden population.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 11:41 PM   #81
The Fly

After spending almost a week there we felt safe in many of the neighbourhoods we visited even with the protests going on
Old 09-20-2017, 06:23 AM   #82
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:

Let's see

An exploration of the good and bad sides of America?

Asking those who are fortunate enough to be able to afford a rock show to think about those who are not?

A call for unity in a time of divisiveness?

Yea you're right... this show wouldn't fit the theme of what's going on in St Louis at all.

Wait, what's that Jimmy? It might be the prefer place in this country at this time to have it? Huh. Well what do ya know.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:53 AM   #83
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:

This is sort of an odd comment. There's nothing wrong with St. Louis, it's a fantastic American city with a rich history.

Yeah, parts of it are segregated. Parts of most major American cities are segregated. And?

As far as it being "dangerous", you're right that it's one of the most dangerous American cities, at least according to the FBI. But how dangerous it is, like most cities, depends largely on who you are and where you go. I'm fairly sure you'd be fine.

Finally, I'm not sure we listen to the same U2 if you think the "theme" of this show is somehow inconsistent with St. Louis. Many of the songs from this period were inspired by that part of the country. Listen to Heartland.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:19 PM   #84
War Child

I was mostly referring to the theme of the tour with eradication of hate, inclusion of love, peacefulness, etc. that doesn't match the protests, rioting and chaos that was happening in the city.

It's like having a peace concert in the middle of a warzone.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:35 PM   #85
The Fly

I understand the need for them to have cancelled the event due to the uncertainty of what might have transpired but the truth is that there was a lot of peaceful protesting and very little rioting and chaos. Comparing it to a war zone is way over the top
Old 09-22-2017, 05:21 PM   #86
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I just wonder why this show couldn't have been rescheduled? Come back after San Diego, like on the 25th or 26th, and still have a week to get everything to Mexico. Stadium availability is not an issue, because that stadium has no football team! I'm sure there is a logistical reason, because typically U2 will always reschedule shows.
Old 09-22-2017, 08:56 PM   #87
New Yorker

Local Time: 07:45 PM
Maybe they set aside time to "finish" SOE