St Louis cancelled - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > The Joshua Tree 2017 - Tour Central > General Tour Discussion
Click Here to Login

Old 09-17-2017, 07:23 AM   #61
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbelcik View Post
Yes...because every single protest movement in American history was completely non-violent and didn't disrupt society in any way...except for those damn colonists and their destruction of tea
This is about as specious a comparison as the morons who compare Antifa to the GI's who stormed Normandy on D-Day.

Old 09-17-2017, 07:33 AM   #62
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 06:43 PM
I'd say what's specious is acting as if protests haven't routinely been violent throughout history.

And those who invaded Normandy were fighting fascists, ergo they were anti-fascist by default, but keep up your alt-right talking points dude.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 07:37 AM   #63
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Of course they have.

But that doesn't justify violent protest. Certainly not in all cases. Comparing the specifically targeted form of protest at the Boston tea party with looting, throwing rocks, etc. at business and people who have nothing to do with what you're protesting is in fact specious.

Ans just because something is "routine" doesn't make it correct.
Old 09-17-2017, 07:40 AM   #64
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick66 View Post
This is about as specious a comparison as the morons who compare Antifa to the GI's who stormed Normandy on D-Day.
Quote:
Are you sure you want to add Nick66 to your ignore list?
:click:
Old 09-17-2017, 07:42 AM   #65
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

LOL...that's OK. Better to be shielded from opinions you disagree with. It's safer that way!
Old 09-17-2017, 07:55 AM   #66
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Of course they have.

But that doesn't justify violent protest. Certainly not in all cases. Comparing the specifically targeted form of protest at the Boston tea party with looting, throwing rocks, etc. at business and people who have nothing to do with what you're protesting is in fact specious.

Ans just because something is "routine" doesn't make it correct.
The post that sparked this acted as if violence at protests is a very recent phenomenon, that people have "forgotten how to be upset without and [sic] breaking things".

That's demonstrably false.

Whether you agree with violent protest or not is an entirely separate matter.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 08:02 AM   #67
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
The post that sparked this acted as if violence at protests is a very recent phenomenon, that people have "forgotten how to be upset without and [sic] breaking things".

That's demonstrably false.

Whether you agree with violent protest or not is an entirely separate matter.
You're quite right. Violent protest is certainly nothing new...whether you agree with it or not.

I'm all for civil disobedience, particularly when that disobedience is targeted specifically at the source of injustice. But except in cases of self defence from imminent harm, I can't condone civil disobedience that involves violence. And I'm especially impatient with using ahistorical nonsense to try to justify it.
Old 09-17-2017, 08:19 AM   #68
The Fly

Local Time: 01:43 AM
Protests that do not disrupt are probably useless and ineffective. Read MLK's Letter from a Birmingham Jail....if you are more committed to law and order than justice, than you are part of the problem. If you value property over the rights of your fellow humans, you are part of the problem.
Old 09-17-2017, 08:31 AM   #69
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I notice that you took my word..."violence" and substituted your own..."disrupt." I said nothing about disruptive protests. Indeed, protests must be at least somewhat disruptive to effective. Boycotts. Strikes. Marching. Shutting down a city street. Sit ins. These a disruptive forms of protest that are non-violent.

Since you either didn't understand what I wrote, or intentionally misrepresented it, there's really no point in addressing anything else you said because I don't have any faith you won't continue to do so.

I will say that your last sentence is nonsensical. The position that people should not engage in looting and vandalism doesn't mean you "value" property over human life. That's absurd. You're parroting an empty phrase you read somewhere without thinking about what it means. And if you're excusing violence, I'd submit it's you who need to re-read (or more likely, read) Dr. King.
Old 09-17-2017, 08:56 AM   #70
The Fly

St Louis cancelled

Quote:
I notice that you took my word..."violence" and substituted your own..."disrupt." I said nothing about disruptive protests. Indeed, protests must be at least somewhat disruptive to effective. Boycotts. Strikes. Marching. Shutting down a city street. Sit ins. These a disruptive forms of protest that are non-violent.

Since you either didn't understand what I wrote, or intentionally misrepresented it, there's really no point in addressing anything else you said because I don't have any faith you won't continue to do so.

I will say that your last sentence is nonsensical. The position that people should not engage in looting and vandalism doesn't mean you "value" property over human life. That's absurd. You're parroting an empty phrase you read somewhere without thinking about what it means. And if you're excusing violence, I'd submit it's you who need to re-read (or more likely, read) Dr. King.

I'd say the answer lies somewhere between both MLK and Malcom X. Unfortunately we live in a capitalist economy which cheapens everything, elevates property rights and security over justice and fairness, and where we acknowledging our immorality and wickedness is not "patriotic". Sometimes creative destruction of a corrupt system is required to shut it down.
Old 09-17-2017, 03:46 PM   #71
War Child

To say I wouldn't resort to violent protest is what I would call an untested virtue. I don't know whether I would or wouldn't but I understand.
Old 09-17-2017, 04:37 PM   #72
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviastar View Post
Protests that do not disrupt are probably useless and ineffective. Read MLK's Letter from a Birmingham Jail....if you are more committed to law and order than justice, than you are part of the problem. If you value property over the rights of your fellow humans, you are part of the problem.
If you destroy or harm the property of innocent people, or the people themselves, who are trying to go about their lives, then you are creating a problem and committing a crime; you are violating the rights of someone else. I have no sympathy for anyone who behaves that way, I don't care what the issue is. If I got angry about a wrong done to me and smashed a store window or a car, I would be arrested. Protestors aren't any different and shouldn't be excused for doing those things.
Old 09-17-2017, 04:46 PM   #73
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:43 PM
Old 09-17-2017, 04:52 PM   #74
New Yorker

This thread needs more eyeroll gifs
Old 09-17-2017, 08:06 PM   #75
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 03:43 AM
So the protests were largely peaceful and the cancellation over safety wasn't because "ehrmagerd bleck peeples ar ungree und day mite hert bohno fanz" but because the police presence that is a normal part of an event as large as a concert like U2 or even Ed Sheeran had to be allocated elsewhere.