SPOILERS - Vancouver Rehearsals Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow, what a bunch of whining babies.

Don't play this song, don't play that song.

If you clowns had your way, there wouldn't even be a U2 concert.

Some fans need to start their own band to play what they want.

I had a good laugh at this and I totally agree. We are fortunate to get this tour simply for RHMT, Exit, and IGC. Then to get NYD, ASOH, and UV as well is amazing. A new song on top of that and this pretty close to perfect.

3:26+Blue+1.jpg

I had a good laugh at this and I totally agree. We are fortunate to get this tour simply for RHMT, Exit, and IGC. Then to get NYD, ASOH, and UV as well is amazing. A new song on top of that and this pretty close to perfect.

Well said. Minor set list quibbles aside, we are definitely on the cusp of something really exciting. Starting tomorrow night, we get to see all of the visual tricks up their sleeve and revel in the tour's full glory! Including audio from inside the stadium.

As long as I'm dropping $350+ a ticket for decent seats I have every right to give my opinion of the setlist or in this case the lack there of. Especially when they throw out a garbage opening act every time.

I'm glad "Elevation" has made its way into the setlist. Always goes over well with everyone but some of the message board diehards. We're now at 21 songs in the run-through...

Plus:

- The potential new song showing up in the encore.

- "40" ending the show which they wouldn't have to actually rehearse.

- Pre-War material showing up in the beginning of the show as a "surprise"...a lot of which, such as "I Will Follow" require no real rehearsals.

I'd be surprised if anything that wasn't completely new that was released after War ended up in the setlist at this point. There just isn't much time with Friday looming.

So Vertigo is expected to have it's 12 year performance streak broken?

I think only BD(16 years) and Streets(28 years) have streaks right now. AFAIK, One has been played at every city tour stop they've played for 25 years, missing some 2015 nights.

Just proper tour gigs.

I consider "City of Blinding Lights" to have a streak as well given that it basically killed "Miracle Drug" thanks to the great reaction it was getting from the crowd. But whatever, that streak is about to die as well.

I think we're all expecting "Vertigo" to show up at some point in the tour at least. Wouldn't be shocked if rotated out with "Elevation" in cities with more than one show.

U2 should not play a single post R&H song on this tour. Not one. Let this be a time machine.

Then in a few years they should do an Achtung Baby tribute tour and not play any pre-1991 songs.

This weeks rehearsals have all started at 9pm ending close to 11. They are playing at this time for a reason. Show at BC starts at 7. That's 2 hours before U2 takes the stage. Yikes! 4 hour show with the headliner only taking up half of that.

That sounds about right.

Doors at 7

Mumford at 7:30

Mumford off stage at 8:30

U2 at 9:00

Current run-through ends at about 10:45...giving them fifteen minutes or so for more breaks and the presumed new track closing the show.

U2 should not play a single post R&H song on this tour. Not one. Let this be a time machine.

Then in a few years they should do an Achtung Baby tribute tour and not play any pre-1991 songs.

You're not the only one who has called for a ZooTV reboot, but in effect that's sort of what the final leg of 360 was. And it was awesome.

Concering the potential 2021 Achtung Baby Tour...it should absolutely just be a 90s main set as this one is an 80s main set. And it should open with the album in its entirety just as Zoo TV was often frontloaded with songs from the album.

So all 12 songs to open the show followed with highlights from the rest of the 90s, ending with Pop songs. Then the encore can just be whatever the fuck.

Got to say, amid all the rightful complaints of them shelving the two-show concept for I&E in favor of a setlist with the same 19 (and later, more) songs every single night, we're now getting a new tour that has very little overlap with the regular I&E setlist.

On I&E every night, and presumably, JT30:

Pride
Streets
With or Without You
Bullet The Blue Sky
Beautiful Day

That's it. Sunday Bloody Sunday does not count because the I&E re-working was so different as to be almost unrecognizable.

Played Fairly Often On I&E:

I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
One

I&E Tour Rarities:

New Year's Day (very few appearances)
In God's Country (just once, right?)
Elevation (a B-stage regular)

Regular SBS, A Sort of Homecoming, MLK, Tracks 5-11 from Joshua Tree, Ultra Violet, Miss Sarejevo and the new song amount to twelve songs that you couldn't hear at all on the last tour and in total the setlist can amount to all but five or six songs being new to someone that attended a single I&E show.

Last edited:
You're not the only one who has called for a ZooTV reboot, but in effect that's sort of what the final leg of 360 was. And it was awesome.

True, but they still basically played just 4-6 songs depending on whether you were lucky enough to hear The Fly and/or Ultra Violet at a given show. Zoo Station, So Cruel, Wild Horses, Arms, Acrobat and Love Is Blindness were untouched at the time.

Plus, by 2021, it will have been eleven years since those shows.

An Achtung Baby tour would actually be a lot easier to pull off. Getting "Wild Horses" finally right and learning "Acrobat" would be the tricky part. Otherwise, seven of these songs have been touring regulars from Vertigo-onward with Love Is Blindness also making at least one solid appearance. "So Cruel" and "Arms" also have a ton of talk-singing for Bono and easy drumming for Larry so they'd be a real breeze.

Well, only doing two on this tour is a step in the right direction, especially since "One" from this century has been the least interesting tour staple they've had. No regular attendee of their live shows is really going to buy tickets to hear "One" live.

We really haven't heard the regular "Fly" in some time. The Elevation version (which I consider to be their best) was still quite different especially with that awesome intro and the song was way different on future tours. That would be practically a big-time rarity for an AB tour.

I would certainly put money on an AB tour happening four years from now as long as the band is in good enough strength to want to perform live in 2021. All it really requires on their part is wanting to deal with the rehearsing of all that material.

Last edited:
I think a Boy 40th is the one other distinct possibility, even if it's just a one-off gig or live festival performance. The album can probably be played in full with just one guitar from The Edge giving how samey the sound is throughout the record and the band would have to rehearse only a handful of meat & potatoes rock songs that Bono would have little trouble singing.

Recent Tour Regulars: I Will Follow, An Cat Dubh-Into The Heart, The Ocean, Out of Control, The Electric Co.

Snippeted During "Vertigo" On Vertigo Tour: Stories For Boys

Would Need To Rehearse: Twilight, A Day Without Me, Another Time Another Place, Shadows and Tall Trees

Really not a tough sell and the album's run-time in concert wouldn't be that long either. They drink from this well so often that I'm still not convinced there won't be a Boy track in Friday's setlist.

Bloody hell there's a lot to catch up on here.

Wondering how the performances of songs like ASOH, RHMT, Trip and so on will be like. When was the last time ASOH was even played, elevation? Theres a bonus clip on the Slane DVD and that performance was so so iirc.

That was the last time and only B&E

Yeah, miryclayu2, a lot of the "stats" you've posted are just totally wrong. Stop.

That Slane version of ASOH was actually the first of its two post-1987 performance. It was last played on 16 October 2001 in Oakland. Slane, however, was the only planned performance; Oakland happened because a fan was pulled on stage to play guitar, and that's the song he knew. U2 went along with it.

Exit and RTSS were played just about every night on the original JT tour...

Yep. In fact you can remove the "just about". Exit and RTSS are two of only six songs played every night of the JT Tour. Of the three big singles from JT, only ISHFWILF was done every night - WOWY missed opening night and Streets missed twelve European gigs.

Yeah, not sure about the situation with those,
OTH didn't show up until the last few months of the JT tour but when it did it was played almost every night

Bit of an exaggeration - it was done at 17 shows on the 50-show third leg of the JT Tour. It didn't show up until then because Bono wasn't sure about playing it, not because of technical reasons but because of the emotion. Greg Carroll's death was still very fresh. It was then played at 19 out of Lovetown's 47 shows before taking a 17-year rest and becoming the "New Zealand + a couple of other random shows" song.

And the way it's talked about here sometimes, you would think it's a dreaded warhorse. :huh:

I've only seen seven shows so far, but have yet to see it live.

Well, why would you be surprised NYD is talked about in that way when it's the seventh most played U2 song ever? Not even One can equal it yet.

It's obvious this forum skews towards an American membership, judging by the stats people are posting of how few times they've seen it in concert. Its big rests post-Elevation were the second North American leg of Vertigo (not played at all) and the second North American leg of 360 (played twice, once each in Mexico and Canada). But it was played at bang-on half the shows on Vertigo; if you went to the first North American leg, Europe, or Australasia, it was hard to miss. Only on the last two tours has it been uncommon: a quarter of 360 shows, and as noted just three times on IE. The only one of 360's seven legs that NYD missed in full was that lonely little two-show South African leg.

For the record, I've had it at 8 out of 19 gigs.

Correct me if I'm wrong. Streets & BD are the only 2 songs that haven't taken a break since making a live debut (on a official U2 tour)??

<Donald Trump voice> Wrong. </Donald Trump voice>

There are only two U2 songs that have not missed a gig since their debut: Beautiful Day and Vertigo. Until IE there were three, but One lost its crown then.

The song closest to joining BD and Vertigo is actually COBL. Since its debut it has missed just two full tour gigs.

So Vertigo is expected to have it's 12 year performance streak broken?

I think only BD(16 years) and Streets(28 years) have streaks right now. AFAIK, One has been played at every city tour stop they've played for 25 years, missing some 2015 nights.

Just proper tour gigs.

Streets' unbroken run is the longest, dating back to 19 November 1989. The last show it missed, incidentally, is quite amazing: 18 November 1989, one of the best Lovetown gigs (the one the doco is from), had neither Streets nor WOWY. Gloria took Streets's spot!

Like others I'm a bit disappointed we're only getting a 21 song set. I wouldn't even consider MLK a song. I've been to the last 3 shows here in Seattle and they were all great but this one could indeed be lacking. I only say this because we may end up with 90 minutes of Mumford and that will be dreadful. This weeks rehearsals have all started at 9pm ending close to 11. They are playing at this time for a reason. Show at BC starts at 7. That's 2 hours before U2 takes the stage. Yikes! 4 hour show with the headliner only taking up half of that. Not good. It's wishful thinking but hopefully they surprise us with a few added tracks. Tops of my list would be: end of the world, acrobat, kite, unforgettable fire. It may be time to accept as fans that our favorite band in the world is "getting old" and just can't deliver like they used to.

And apparently their fans are getting senile?

Bloody hell there's a lot to catch up on here.

Yeah, miryclayu2, a lot of the "stats" you've posted are just totally wrong. Stop.

That Slane version of ASOH was actually the first of its two post-1987 performance. It was last played on 16 October 2001 in Oakland. Slane, however, was the only planned performance; Oakland happened because a fan was pulled on stage to play guitar, and that's the song he knew. U2 went along with it.

Yep. In fact you can remove the "just about". Exit and RTSS are two of only six songs played every night of the JT Tour. Of the three big singles from JT, only ISHFWILF was done every night - WOWY missed opening night and Streets missed twelve European gigs.

Bit of an exaggeration - it was done at 17 shows on the 50-show third leg of the JT Tour. It didn't show up until then because Bono wasn't sure about playing it, not because of technical reasons but because of the emotion. Greg Carroll's death was still very fresh. It was then played at 19 out of Lovetown's 47 shows before taking a 17-year rest and becoming the "New Zealand + a couple of other random shows" song.

Well, why would you be surprised NYD is talked about in that way when it's the seventh most played U2 song ever? Not even One can equal it yet.

It's obvious this forum skews towards an American membership, judging by the stats people are posting of how few times they've seen it in concert. Its big rests post-Elevation were the second North American leg of Vertigo (not played at all) and the second North American leg of 360 (played twice, once each in Mexico and Canada). But it was played at bang-on half the shows on Vertigo; if you went to the first North American leg, Europe, or Australasia, it was hard to miss. Only on the last two tours has it been uncommon: a quarter of 360 shows, and as noted just three times on IE. The only one of 360's seven legs that NYD missed in full was that lonely little two-show South African leg.

For the record, I've had it at 8 out of 19 gigs.

<Donald Trump voice> Wrong. </Donald Trump voice>

There are only two U2 songs that have not missed a gig since their debut: Beautiful Day and Vertigo. Until IE there were three, but One lost its crown then.

The song closest to joining BD and Vertigo is actually COBL. Since its debut it has missed just two full tour gigs.

Streets' unbroken run is the longest, dating back to 19 November 1989. The last show it missed, incidentally, is quite amazing: 18 November 1989, one of the best Lovetown gigs (the one the doco is from), had neither Streets nor WOWY. Gloria took Streets's spot!
So I suppose you know what is planned and what isn't. You are inside the heads of the players. You don't recognize spontainety or feigned spontenaity. Only you understand intention.

And LoveTown, that wasn't even a tour. The T shirts were fake. If it wasn't played on North American or European soil it doesn't count. NZ and Australia are just colonies with outback bars. In fact it is arguable that they are just TV creations with software plugin accents. Explain the platypus with a straight face.

#nosuchthingaslovetown

So I suppose you know what is planned and what isn't. You are inside the heads of the players. You don't recognize spontainety or feigned spontenaity. Only you understand intention.

And LoveTown, that wasn't even a tour. The T shirts were fake. If it wasn't played on North American or European soil it doesn't count. NZ and Australia are just colonies with outback bars. In fact it is arguable that they are just TV creations with software plugin accents. Explain the platypus with a straight face.

#nosuchthingaslovetown

:facepalm:

Back
Top Bottom