So...How Will Bono Perform the JT Songs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Huh?

There's a wee bit of a difference between dry and arid desert air vs humid air in the southeast.

It's not the heat, it's the humidity (or lack there of).

I've been to desert places in the SW, but not the SE.

If they skip Arizona and Palm Springs Oldchella in 2017 there might be something to your theory. Jagger complained about dry throat onstage at Oldchella(AKA Desert Trip 2016) 3 months ago.

Most importantly...will Bono be able to sing RHMT decently? Let's all hope they don't get lazy and try to strip it down...

When I first saw the tour was annouced this was my first thought as I suspect RMT is a hard song to sing.

My thoughts are they will either strip back and make it different in soem way.

I hope ISHFWILF to regain more its status as an actual rather than a diluted singalong (as awesome as that is to experience in person), a full-throated WOWY with Love Will Tear us Apart, IGC and Trip full-band.

For RHMT I just hope they give it its due respect, it's a really great song and I'd like to see it translate well live, not just become a truncated three-and-a-half minute acoutic Bono & Edge number, which is what I suspect will happen to it - in fact given IGC and Trip are the next two tracks I reckon that section will be an entire acoustic B-stage mini-set, which would be a really great shame and a huge missed opportunity.

I hope Exit is badass.

But most of all, I hope RTSS is good. Would DEARLY love to see them do it with Still Running / Dirty Old Town, but I'll take the Vertigo versions if I have to.

Looking more closely at Caps schedule, the last home game is April 14. They're not back for a game in BC Place until May 20th.
Not saying that U2 will move in on the 15th, but without question, they could be set up weeks in advance. There are no other events and the Lions don't start until June.
This bodes extremely well to get the sound right opening night.

Aren't there about 8 or so upcoming shows in US states that voted Trump? Half of which having shows that failed to sellout in the past?

I also wonder if Bono has already kissed the next 4 years of ONE funding/debt relief from the US goodbye. I bet that question is an upcoming interview ground rule no-no. Why there is no show in Arizona being another no-no question.

In this hypothetical situation, that's 4-8 shows to worry about a few days after the public onsale has already happened. To your funding thought - frankly, I hope Bono has. If they're looking to TJT because of political relevance, it's time to stop playing as if both sides are equally good/bad. Sack up and own your point of view.

Looking more closely at Caps schedule, the last home game is April 14. They're not back for a game in BC Place until May 20th.
Not saying that U2 will move in on the 15th, but without question, they could be set up weeks in advance. There are no other events and the Lions don't start until June.
This bodes extremely well to get the sound right opening night.

Crew is here before mid April

The rescue of WOWY started during 360. I don't have any concerns about it.

+1. The ie version is Bono genius. His voice has diminished but his ability to sing a song slightly off key to inject raw emotion is getting really good. Just need The Edge to add a bit more crunch to the guitar parts (like ZooTV, current guitar sounds too tinny), but the double delay is awesome. Wouldn't mind the return of The Edge orchestra a la the earlier Popmart versions either. ?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Having just seen the anti-Trump themed BTBS and Desire, I'd be willing to lay odds that this tour is JT meets ZooTV, complete with a phone call to the White House switchboard.

If they're going to do the late night circuit in the US, I'd prefer someone who can conduct a proper interview and get into the politics of the album and how it relates to today, as opposed to somebody who's simply going to giggle and fawn.

Hey you'll never guess which guest is coming up! U2!
I can't wait for you to see out special guests. U2!
U2 are coming up on the show!

Sorry, that's all we have time for.

Sheeeee-it, how is EDGE going to play RHMT?

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

I just hope they don't talk themselves out of playing the whole album & that any encores not on the album fit the mood of a JT show, so hopefully some R&H or even UF or War, etc.

Agreed. I would be most pleased if they ONLY played songs from JT or ealier (with R&H being, perhaps, the exception).

while they talked themselves out of playing two unique nights, that idea wasn't as highly publicized as this one. it was just talked about during interviews and what not.

playing Joshua Tree in full is pretty much the entire point of this show in every marketing piece that's out there. they'd be absolute fools to back out and not do it.

they're going to be playing the album.

as for the rest of the set, while i'm sure there might be a surprise here and there (and i certainly think it'll be very light on songs from 2009 on), you should expect a pretty normal set for the rest of the show.

My first ever concert was TJT in 1987. Epic.

But I fear this tour is going to be epic in a different way: lots of speechifying, songs that can barely be played, B struggling to hit his notes, acoustic cop-outs, way too much politics.

Hope I am wrong. We'll see.

Having just seen the anti-Trump themed BTBS and Desire, I'd be willing to lay odds that this tour is JT meets ZooTV, complete with a phone call to the White House switchboard.

I'd love this! I'd love Mac Phisto even more but just a call would do

I think most people don't understand how much Bono strained his voice when he was younger, it was his style. His style was killing his pipes. Since then he's had formal training and he sings the way he does to persevere his voice. I expect magic this tour but it won't be 1987 magic.

But I fear this tour is going to be epic in a different way: lots of speechifying, songs that can barely be played, B struggling to hit his notes, acoustic cop-outs, way too much politics.

This tour has 8-9 shows in states that voted Trump. So i think he will keep himself on a short leash like 2005. BTBS will like keep the more general/ongoing race/gun stuff.

The Desire Trump rant was pre election. While it was cool to see a fired up Bono, I don't think it added anything to the national political discourse. Strictly speaking to the choir. Plus the anti Donald rants would need to change every show to keep up......Bono has enough trouble remembering words of songs he's done a couple hundred times.

I actually prefer post singing lesson Bono to the "shout-y" Bono of the 80's. Big notes hold more weight when rationed out a bit.

You're not alone in sharing these concerns.

If he can sing Streets like this on JT Tour I will be happy(6:10 in this clip):
https://youtu.be/_rSo5tXvtBs?t=6m10s

WOWY and Pride was really good on this tour, those two songs have been booring since very long time back.

ISHFWILF from iHeart Radio was really good, I can recomend to download the soundboard version on that one.

If he can sing Streets like this on JT Tour I will be happy(6:10 in this clip):
https://youtu.be/_rSo5tXvtBs?t=6m10s

WOWY and Pride was really good on this tour, those two songs have been booring since very long time back.

ISHFWILF from iHeart Radio was really good, I can recomend to download the soundboard version on that one.

That's hand downs the best Streets vocal I've heard for at least two decades. I wonder how strong the rest of the show is...and more importantly...why can't he sing like this more often?!

Were you at this show or just looking for some live audio from I&E?

Back
Top Bottom