So Does Anyone Wanna Place Any Bets on the New RHMT Vocal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Obviously I saw that it was an attempt to be funny using sarcasm...it just wasn't funny...

For something to be funny it generally has to have at least a small grain of truth. The reality is that U2 has a long standing history of (at times) dumbing down songs to play them live instead of putting in the work to play them full band and/or otherwise do them justice.

So my concern that RHMT will get this treatment are quite founded...and hence not alarmism or "panic".

So BVS is being disingenuous and trolling.

Did you really need that explained to understand?

Yeaaaaaah, because that is what I was commenting on :rolleyes:

Yea, I remember this and am looking for an earlier source. I don't buy the current party line that the only reason they didn't play it was due to tempo...

BVS was looking for that source in an old thread but I'm guessing he won't be much help.

I was?! News to me, are you just making up tasks for people now?

Not to harp on about this, but should we expect new recordings of SHFWILF, Pride, etc? Because this logic applies to those songs even more..

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

That's an interesting point and, apart from the obvious, makes one wonder if there are other reasons for re-recording it...

As a side note, Def Leppard went back and re-recorded Hysteria (along with some other tracks) and the vocals were 90% there. I'd be just fine with that but granted that song doesn't have the huge notes RHMT has...

I was?! News to me, are you just making up tasks for people now?

http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f194/red-hill-mining-town-215531.html

I am not sure what this is suppose to mean?

As for not playing it, the band has admitted that they feared that Bono wouldn't be able to sing it night after night due to the higher register.

Originally Posted by gvox
Can you remind me where they said this? I think I've read it also, but just cant recall..U2 by U2?

Anyways, I think he could hit it. Bad and Pride are harder.
Crap, I can't remember, I'll have to look.

Are you playing dumb or just trolling some more?

Are you going to contribute anything useful or just falsely accuse me of alarmism?

Last edited:
But it seems like you have decided that this is happening, when all we know is he has re-recorded just the vocal for the verses, and they've added some brass. And I would say that is pretty much evidence AGAINST what you are suggesting - that if they didn't touch the chorus, yet are promoting it as a single, that maybe he thinks he can nail the chorus. I'll repeat Gabe's question here - does anyone have proof that that is WHY they never played it? Maybe it was just one too many meandering, mid-tempo songs?

Bingo bango bongo.

Bono's not putting anything to track that reduces his legacy on this or any other song for that matter. The very notion is not only unsupported by any fact yet demonstrated, it's also laughable in the context of some of his most recent vocal outings which have been very very good.

He's doing it again to change the lyrics...and nail that chorus. Watch.

The theories around here sometimes!

http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f194/red-hill-mining-town-215531.html

Originally Posted by gvox
Can you remind me where they said this? I think I've read it also, but just cant recall..U2 by U2?

Anyways, I think he could hit it. Bad and Pride are harder.

Are you playing dumb or just trolling some more?

Are you going to contribute anything useful or just falsely accuse me of alarmism?

Haha, well you got me, 4 years ago.

Guys, I'm really sorry I let you all down

:(

Bingo bango bongo.

Bono's not putting anything to track that reduces his legacy on this or any other song for that matter. The very notion is not only unsupported by any fact yet demonstrated, it's also laughable in the context of some of his most recent vocal outings which have been very very good.

He's doing it again to change the lyrics...and nail that chorus. Watch.

The theories around here sometimes!

I agree there have been some stellar "vocal outings" lately. With that said, the fact that U2 half ass it sometimes has been clearly demonstrated.

Although SATS I personally enjoyed acoustic (and thought it worked well), the band even admitted they played it that way because they couldn't work out the full band arrangement.

Couldn't is a cop-out because we all know they're good enough to figure it out.

There are other examples...so nothing laughable about it.

IMO, the later Sweetest Thing vocal (although more polished) didn't hold a candle to the original vocal...so that was a bit of a reduction. Wave of Sorrow, on the other hand, I give him credit for (although, of course, there was no original vocal to consider).

I hope he does nail the chorus...but who said he was changing lyrics? I hope not...

Last edited:
Haha, well you got me, 4 years ago.

Guys, I'm really sorry I let you all down

:(

You're letting yourself down by revealing your bias against my position by trolling and making false accusations. ...and then denying truth with a knee-jerk reaction.

Anything useful yet?

Or do you just want to continue denying the truth?

Last edited:
Where did you read that they were just re-recording the verses and not the chorus? This doesn't make sense to me...they're just going to juxtapose new verses with the old choruses?

I'd appreciate your source and in the meantime will try to find some proof / a source to confirm that they never played it due to the vocal challenge it would present on a nightly basis...

While technically it could mean he recorded the verses somewhere else, I think it is pretty clear what he means:

https://twitter.com/Sillywhite/status/833302023671984128

Bloody hell, this thread took a turn :doh:

Is it a reasonable assumption that this new mix will come out on (or very near) the 9th to mark the anniversary? The sooner the better if this is what happens before we even hear it!

You're letting yourself down by revealing your bias against my position by trolling and making false accusations. ...and then denying truth with a knee-jerk reaction.

Anything useful yet?

Or do you just want to continue denying the truth?

Bias?! What, against people who make over the top statements that a few notes that haven't even be sung yet will ruin a whole tour? Perhaps your right, I do find that to be a little ridiculous.

My whole point with you has been that you're taking your fears way too seriously.

Bias?! What, against people who make over the top statements that a few notes that haven't even be sung yet will ruin a whole tour? Perhaps your right, I do find that to be a little ridiculous.

My whole point with you has been that you're taking your fears way too seriously.

As I said, I have a lot of reservations with the pending tour regardless. I think a lot of long time U2 fans would based on everything this band has stood for. I think Bono himself must have some reservations about this tour.

I just don't want them to F*CK UP RHMT.

If caring deeply about music is taking things way too seriously then I'm definitely guilty of that (and glad to be).

Last edited:

Whoa...you're being alarmist.

As I said, I have a lot of reservations with the pending tour regardless. I think a lot of long time U2 fans would based on everything this band has stood for.

I just don't want them to F*CK UP RHMT.

If caring deeply about music is taking things way too seriously then I'm definitely guilty of that (and glad to be).

The beauty of it is that if you feel they did, you still have the original to turn to...

I really can't be fucked keeping up with this inane argument, but good lord, if Bono must re-record RHMT in his clearly inferior singing voice of today, I hope to god he doesn't change any of the lyrics. Because if he does, I hope you all can't wait to hear about how the heart of Red Hill is the soul of Mining Town is the moment, the exact minute, the precise second, before the miracle of holding on, your beautiful soul's heart is all that's left to kneel down to.

:huh: One of his hallmarks live! Changing verses leaving choruses intact

Ha! Yes, but in a studio vocal? He would have to sing them in nearly identical JT style for the verse and chorus vocals to match. That's what I can't picture. I do realize this is a lot of conjecture at this point but I don't think my concern is unfounded.

I really can't be fucked keeping up with this inane argument, but good lord, if Bono must re-record RHMT in his clearly inferior singing voice of today, I hope to god he doesn't change any of the lyrics. Because if he does, I hope you all can't wait to hear about how the heart of Red Hill is the soul of Mining Town is the moment, the exact minute, the precise second, before the miracle of holding on, your beautiful soul's heart is all that's left to kneel down to.

I'm sure he'll throw in something about Bowling Green as well.

#wewillneverforget

:applaud:

I'm sure he'll throw in something about Bowling Green as well.

#wewillneverforget

The re-recording is dedicated to that young up-and-comer, the hero of Sweden last night, Frederick Douglass.

There is zero precedent that suggests that Bono is going to re record vocals because he can't sing them. If anything, it's going to be that he's actually going to sing them better now. (And for instance, not resort to a falsetto shift in some parts). Producers don't re-record their artists unless they hear something about their current vocal that makes them say damn we gotta get that on a track.

It will be stellar, I have no doubt about it.

There is zero precedent that suggests that Bono is going to re record vocals because he can't sing them.

The song was initially planned for release as The Joshua Tree's second single, but U2 were unhappy with the video and Bono was unable to sing the high notes during pre-Joshua Tree Tour rehearsals. - McGee, Matt (2008). U2: A Diary.

The song was initially planned for release as The Joshua Tree's second single, but U2 were unhappy with the video and Bono was unable to sing the high notes during pre-Joshua Tree Tour rehearsals. - McGee, Matt (2008). U2: A Diary.

Seriously?

Let's see a quote from a band member, Paul McG, Lanois, Eno, hell...I'd even take McCormack lol

Back
Top Bottom