So Does Anyone Wanna Place Any Bets on the New RHMT Vocal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redhill

Refugee
Will he neuter it so he can sing it live on the tour?

Or will he try to sound more similar to the original?

Or even try to outdo / surpass the original (which would be the most miraculous feat of his lifetime)?

My guess is that he tries to sing it more nuanced and improve on it in that way...but is unable to hit the "big" notes à la 87 so it's less powerful overall...

Maybe they'll just (only) go back to the masters and re-mix it and then put new vocals on top (like Wave of Sorrow).

If they re-record...I just hope the new mix isn't made to sound adult contemporary or more radio friendly...or some other garbage.

According to the article they're not re-recording anything except vocals, and adding some horns that they cut out originally.

I wouldn't say he'll neuter it, but he'll sing it in a way that's comfortable for his voice now.

Let's remember, the reason it wasn't a single is that he couldn't even sing it back then night after night.

According to the article they're not re-recording anything except vocals, and adding some horns that they cut out originally.

I wouldn't say he'll neuter it, but he'll sing it in a way that's comfortable for his voice now.

Let's remember, the reason it wasn't a single is that he couldn't even sing it back then night after night.

Oh...I remember. Just look at my moniker ;]

Depends on when it was recorded - if it was after iHeart it will be cracked.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Just like all the recent redos, it will be worse than the original. All we can hope is that it isn't too bad.

Just like all the recent redos, it will be worse than the original. All we can hope is that it isn't too bad.
I thought the Pop redo's were good. Musically they had a lot more life than the originals. Bono's vocals were closer to the live versions which is a good thing.

OTOH I thought the Sweetest Thing was over cooked compared to the raw simplicity of the original.

I thought the Pop redo's were good. Musically they had a lot more life than the originals. Bono's vocals were closer to the live versions which is a good thing.

Gone is the exception that proves the rule. Plus, 1997 to 2002 wasn't wild vocal variation.

But the "new" shit on the reissues sticks out like a sore thumb. Wave of Sorrow has already proven that Bono's vocals of the last decade or two sound very mediocre alongside his singing of the 1980s.

Source? People keep repeating this, so I guess there's a quote from way back when that originated this idea?

People out there saying it will be in a totally different key, like a full step down. Hmm. I'm not so sure it will be a full step down. I'm not even convinced that Bono re-recording the vocal has anything to do with how hard people perceive this song to sing. They're not re-recording that massive single Still Haven't Found, which has been in a different key live for years. Neither Pride. And he sings Streets in album key at will. I'd readily stand to be corrected with an actual quote from him or Edge stating he couldn't sing this live...maybe half step down like many of their others ..think we're reading too much into it here.

Besides, you can't just re record the vocals alone in a different key and then plop them back in the mix of the original guitars bass and strings ?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

To me, the original version of RHMT is one of the moments where U2 attained pure perfection. This new version will not improve upon it. I'll probably listen to it a couple times when it's first released, and then never acknowledge it again.

I'll bet it turns out nasal and horrible.

Not trying to start an argument, but how can you like Bono's singing at all if you don't like "nasally" singing? It's one of his greatest strengths as a singer. A recent example would be his performance of Ordinary Love on Fallon.

Nasal does not equal horrible....

The scariest thing is that Bono is downplaying his original singing for the track...which is, IMO, akin to him not being able to admit that he can't sing like that anymore...so he is disparaging of it....

I would prefer he just admit it (he has in the past saying "he lost the ability to fly as a singer")...and then sleep for a few days and do as many takes as possible to hit those darn big notes.

If it really is a setup to sing it lackluster doing the tour then that it a sad, sad tactic.

Personally, he's at his best singing older songs when he tries to come as close as possible to the original studio recording. It's inspiring to see he can still do it sometimes.

No neutering!

The scariest thing is that Bono is downplaying his original singing for the track...which is, IMO, akin to him not being able to admit that he can't sing like that anymore...so he is disparaging of it....

I would prefer he just admit it (he has in the past saying "he lost the ability to fly as a singer")...and then sleep for a few days and do as many takes as possible to hit those darn big notes.

If it really is a setup to sing it lackluster doing the tour then that it a sad, sad tactic.

Personally, he's at his best singing older songs when he tries to come as close as possible to the original studio recording. It's inspiring to see he can still do it sometimes.

No neutering!

Bono has always downplayed his singing when looking back, nothing "scary" about it.

Not being able to sing like you could in your 20's? Welcome to being human.

Why would you want him to take as many takes as possible if it's not something he'll be able to sing live?

I'm fake news in a sea of alternate reality.

So in other words, 100% confirmed.

But is this a confirmed rumour?

Interference was fake news before news was fake.

- It will be very good,
- but Bono will never sound as good as he did late 80s
- and Interference will mostly hate it.

So pretty similar to any other U2 release post POP.

This negativity for something that hasn't been released yet is so Interference.

Guys I'm really pissed Bono didn't grow his hair out for this tour. Those hair flips fingers through the hair moves will be so lackluster. Sad.

This negativity for something that hasn't been released yet is so Interference.

The negativity about the negativity is when you know Interference is humming along. So thanks for the drop-by, Salome.

The negativity about the negativity is when you know Interference is humming along. So thanks for the drop-by, Salome.
My apologies, I was indeed completely out of line.
Unfortunately I can't edit my post anymore :(

No neutering!

Where is the quote from him downplaying his original singing? Or that he intends to change the key?

If he changes the key, the entire song has to be re-recorded. Look at what has been said about the re-issue: they are going to bring other musical elements up in the mix, which previously were left out. That clearly indicates to me that the key is not changing. You can't just transpose guitar bass and orchestral recordings, ya know. To be done properly, all those parts would need to be re-recorded. Not happening.

Why would you want him to take as many takes as possible if it's not something he'll be able to sing live?

He doesn't sing ISHFWILF in album key, ever. Nor Pride. Nor Bad. Those songs aren't being re-recorded so as to "allow" him to sing them in a different key live. I'm at a loss to understand where this theory is coming from.

The re-release will be in original album key, with some lyrical changes and the additional orchestral elements turned up in the mix.

The live version will be half-step down, or in whatever key Bono is comfortable singing.

The re-issue has very little - if anything - to do with what is going to happen live. U2 has always performed its songs live in whatever key makes sense - regardless of what key it was in on the album or subsequent releases.

I'm interested in seeing if Bono rerecorded new lyrics to tie in the terror attack in Sweden.

Back
Top Bottom