So Does Anyone Wanna Place Any Bets on the New RHMT Vocal? - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > The Joshua Tree 2017 - Tour Central > General Tour Discussion
Click Here to Login

Old 02-22-2017, 04:59 PM   #91
Refugee

Local Time: 09:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvox View Post
Seriously?

Let's see a quote from a band member, Paul McG, Lanois, Eno, hell...I'd even take McCormack lol
I'm looking for a direct quote but this a pretty darn reputable source, IMO.

In the meantime:
The Joshua Tree: This album nearly became only the second U2 album to have every song played live. U2 gave serious consideration to playing Red Hill Mining Town live, and rehearsed it in soundchecks with the intention of playing it in Tempe, Arizona in late December 1987 for Rattle And Hum. The best-known date of RHMT being soundchecked is 28 November 1987. However, the song never moved out of rehearsals and was not played. All other Joshua Tree songs have been played live.

If the issue was really the tempo / not fitting in the setlist...then why rehearse it? I know they did this in the past (Drowning Man, etc) but generally when a song is soundchecked they try to fit it in at least once. This further corroborates but I realize is not proof.

Old 02-22-2017, 05:30 PM   #92
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 07:38 PM
This quote from Larry in U2 By U2 perhaps sums up why they're doing a new version of RHMT.

"'Red Hill Mining Town' is one of the lost songs. It was over-produced and under-written, one of those great ideas that never quite got there. Bono had a very clear idea about how he wanted it to sound but I don't think anyone was quite sure where he was going with it. What we ended up with was neither one thing nor the other. During improvisation things happened that were amazing but because of a lack of confidence in our ability to repeat the idea, we tended to hang on very tightly and perhaps not push forward as much as we should have. So sometimes we ended up with a bunch of great ideas as opposed to a fully developed song. In my view, that's part of the genius of U2 but it can also be part of the problem with our songwriting."

Old 02-22-2017, 05:34 PM   #93
Ghost of Love

Local Time: 05:38 AM
So Does Anyone Wanna Place Any Bets on the New RHMT Vocal?

Has anyone considered the possibility that the band just didn't like how the live arrangement was/wasn't coming together? Ie the second guitar? There's a finite time to get arrangements right in rehearsal...and then the tour must go on. For all we know it just kept turning into a train wreck at practice, with nothing to do with him hitting/not hitting notes.

They didn't shelve any other JT song based on Bono's ability/inability to sing it live identical to the album. They just changed the key.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

http://home.cogeco.ca/~october/images/sheeep.jpg

Don't push this button:

I'm serious, don't!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyagu_Anaykus View Post
Interference is my Earth.
Quote:
Consequently, Earth is an experimental disaster.

If you keep going, you have only your self to blame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best Interferencer On The Damn Planet View Post
Edge:
too sexy for his amp
too sexy for his cap
too sexy for that god-damned headset
I told you

gvox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 05:40 PM   #94
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabigon View Post
It was over-produced
Haaaaaaaaaaaaaa. Fast forward to the current day and its not a stretch to say that every U2 song is over produced.
Old 02-22-2017, 05:40 PM   #95
Refugee

Quote:
Has anyone considered the possibility that the band just didn't like how the live arrangement was/wasn't coming together? Ie the second guitar? There's a finite time to get arrangements right in rehearsal...and then the tour must go on. For all we know it just kept turning into a train wreck at practice, with nothing to do with him hitting/not hitting notes.

They didn't shelve any other JT song based on Bono's ability/inability to sing it live identical to the album. They just changed the key.

I dunno about that...that's never been mentioned anywhere (in relation to RHMT) to my knowledge. I consider Matt a pretty knowledgeable / reliable source but maybe I'll email him and see if he can tell me what his source was...
Old 02-22-2017, 06:03 PM   #96
ONE
love, blood, life

Yeah, Matt is generally pretty good, but the guy's only claim to credibility is he runs a large fan site. We are talking about setlist minutiae from 30 years ago, and an uncredited claim from Matt that perpetuates a long held, but never proven fan theory re the reason it wasn't played isn't anything IMO.

Old 02-22-2017, 06:28 PM   #97
Ghost of Love

So Does Anyone Wanna Place Any Bets on the New RHMT Vocal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhill View Post
I dunno about that...that's never been mentioned anywhere (in relation to RHMT) to my knowledge...

Let me ask this then:

How many times has anyone in the band or crew ever said that a song was dropped as a single or from live rotation - ANY song - because Bono couldn't sing it?

I think we all know that answer: if not 0, pretty close to it. Since when does Bono not sing his own damn songs? Lol

Now...How many times have they ever described rehearsing songs for a tour but then the songs just not coming together, or feeling right, or the arrangement being off, etc? We know that answer too: Numerous!

there's a major second guitar part that wouldn't really have sounded all that hot played on a reel to reel deck in 1987....fast forward to 2005 and a lil tune called City of Blinding Lights. Notice anything reminiscent about *that second guitar? And in 2005...Bono's not playing it, it's tracked.

(Let's not get into other songs with extra sounds, as they were made with arpeggiators and keyboards. Different kettle of fish)

Hmm.

In 1987..COBL would have been a real bitch to get a good live arrangement of. I think that's exactly what happened to RHMT.

It's not his most difficult vocal. He can nail it, I'm betting, and will. I think they struggled with the arrangement.

Don't push this button:

I'm serious, don't!

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Edge:
too sexy for his amp
too sexy for his cap
I told you

Old 02-22-2017, 06:55 PM   #98
Blue Crack Distributor

Bono has stated that Bad is his hardest song to sing, yet that never stopped them from playing it.

They soundchecked Acrobat as well, never played it. They soundchecked Two Hearts like a million times this past tour, busted it once and never saw it again.

Maybe there was a problem with the arrangement. Maybe Bono didn't like how it sounded. Maybe they just didn't like it as much as you do. Who the hell knows.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:18 PM   #99
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
They soundchecked Two Hearts like a million times this past tour, busted it once and never saw it again.
Three times

/pedantry
Old 02-22-2017, 07:31 PM   #100
Refugee

Quote:
Let me ask this then:

How many times has anyone in the band or crew ever said that a song was dropped as a single or from live rotation - ANY song - because Bono couldn't sing it?

I think we all know that answer: if not 0, pretty close to it. Since when does Bono not sing his own damn songs? Lol

Now...How many times have they ever described rehearsing songs for a tour but then the songs just not coming together, or feeling right, or the arrangement being off, etc? We know that answer too: Numerous!

there's a major second guitar part that wouldn't really have sounded all that hot played on a reel to reel deck in 1987....fast forward to 2005 and a lil tune called City of Blinding Lights. Notice anything reminiscent about *that second guitar? And in 2005...Bono's not playing it, it's tracked.

(Let's not get into other songs with extra sounds, as they were made with arpeggiators and keyboards. Different kettle of fish)

Hmm.

In 1987..COBL would have been a real bitch to get a good live arrangement of. I think that's exactly what happened to RHMT.

It's not his most difficult vocal. He can nail it, I'm betting, and will. I think they struggled with the arrangement.
You make some good points save two.

Do you really think anyone in the band would regularly admit that a song was not played live because Bono couldn't sing it? They may have once or twice (I can't find direct proof from the band as of yet) but it's not something they would talk about much out of respect to Bono. Daniel Lanois (based on the Classic Albums program) seems like the most likely person to talk openly about such a thing (in the U2 camp)...It sounded to me like he vastly preferred the full voice Bono to the falsetto (which can be a crutch at times but has also been used to extraordinary effect).

The other is that, if not his most difficult vocal, it would be reasonable to assume that it would it easily be in the top 5 (if not 3). I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens.

Right now I'm actually just as worried about any lyric changes (that don't need to and shouldn't happen). Don't worry - I won't go on about that...
Old 02-22-2017, 07:33 PM   #101
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
Bono has stated that Bad is his hardest song to sing, yet that never stopped them from playing it.

They soundchecked Acrobat as well, never played it. They soundchecked Two Hearts like a million times this past tour, busted it once and never saw it again.

Maybe there was a problem with the arrangement. Maybe Bono didn't like how it sounded. Maybe they just didn't like it as much as you do. Who the hell knows.
When did he say that about Bad?

I know this may be trivial to some but as one of my favorite (if not my favorite) U2 songs this subject matters to me.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:22 PM   #102
Vocal parasite

Quote:
In the meantime:
The Joshua Tree: This album nearly became only the second U2 album to have every song played live. U2 gave serious consideration to playing Red Hill Mining Town live, and rehearsed it in soundchecks with the intention of playing it in Tempe, Arizona in late December 1987 for Rattle And Hum. The best-known date of RHMT being soundchecked is 28 November 1987. However, the song never moved out of rehearsals and was not played. All other Joshua Tree songs have been played live.
I was going to make a snide comment about not crediting me, but I see your code just didn't work.

So here's an article I'll presumably need to update in a few months.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 09:41 PM   #103
Ghost of Love

Quote:
You make some good points save two.

Do you really think anyone in the band would regularly admit that a song was not played live because Bono couldn't sing it? They may have once or twice (I can't find direct proof from the band as of yet) but it's not something they would talk about much out of respect to Bono. Daniel Lanois (based on the Classic Albums program) seems like the most likely person to talk openly about such a thing (in the U2 camp)...It sounded to me like he vastly preferred the full voice Bono to the falsetto (which can be a crutch at times but has also been used to extraordinary effect).

The other is that, if not his most difficult vocal, it would be reasonable to assume that it would it easily be in the top 5 (if not 3). I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens.

Right now I'm actually just as worried about any lyric changes (that don't need to and shouldn't happen). Don't worry - I won't go on about that...

You've just provided me with my question for Lanois

(honestly didn't know exactly what I wanted to ask, but i sure do now!! )

Don't push this button:

I'm serious, don't!

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Edge:
too sexy for his amp
too sexy for his cap
I told you

Old 02-23-2017, 11:06 AM   #104
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
I was going to make a snide comment about not crediting me, but I see your code just didn't work.

So here's an article I'll presumably need to update in a few months.
I thought I had quoted you and certainly attempted to.
Old 02-23-2017, 11:06 AM   #105
Refugee

Big Grin

Quote:
You've just provided me with my question for Lanois

(honestly didn't know exactly what I wanted to ask, but i sure do now!! )

Sweeeeeeeeet!