So Does Anyone Wanna Place Any Bets on the New RHMT Vocal? - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > The Joshua Tree 2017 - Tour Central > General Tour Discussion
Click Here to Login

Old 02-20-2017, 05:27 PM   #31
Ghost of Love

Local Time: 07:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
Will the photos be in a lower key?
The photos will be in colour...because they can't shoot in monochrome anymore..

http://home.cogeco.ca/~october/images/sheeep.jpg

Don't push this button:

I'm serious, don't!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyagu_Anaykus View Post
Interference is my Earth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvox View Post
Consequently, Earth is an experimental disaster.

If you keep going, you have only your self to blame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best Interferencer On The Damn Planet View Post
Edge:
too sexy for his amp
too sexy for his cap
too sexy for that god-damned headset
I told you

gvox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 06:09 PM   #32
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 09:46 PM
Will they redo the rooftop gig on a mezzanine?

kabigon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 07:10 PM   #33
Refugee

Local Time: 11:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
Bono has always downplayed his singing when looking back, nothing "scary" about it.
Not being able to sing like you could in your 20's? Welcome to being human.

Why would you want him to take as many takes as possible if it's not something he'll be able to sing live?

Yes, it is scary when someone doesn't even know what makes them great. A larger argument could be made that that's the exact reason U2 is following the pack instead of "f*ing up the mainstream" and not being afraid of "losing some of the pop kids". Even though SOI was an outstanding album, they are still lost in terms of their mindset at the moment.

As far as not being able to sing like he could in his 20's....the miracle of Bono, to me, has always been his ability to will his way into greatness. He couldn't even sing when he started lest we forget. I would rather see that will and have him fall flat on his face (which he did literally on the JT tour a couple times) than sing some bogus lullaby version of it without the big notes. This is one of the songs that, like Lanois said during the recording of the Classic Albums (JT) program...about ISHFWILF....makes you unable to not feel that feeling.

To take that urgency away from this song will be an unforgivable tragedy (if he does).

This is ONE OF THOSE ONES in their musical cannon. Undeniably powerful and now made something of a legend for several reasons.

DON'T NEUTER IT.

Back to the singing it live question. I'd rather him try his damndest every night and fail save one. That one time he gets it would be greater than the combination of all the times he couldn't do it. That is part of the magic they talk about when the concert "goes off".

This isn't some random cornball acoustic version of Stay we're talking about here. As a matter of fact, this is a good example. There was only one truly inspired version of that song (8/28/93). All the crap versions were worth it since we now have that one magic moment captured forever.

Don't tell me he can't do that song justice. I'm not looking for perfection. But F*ING try at least. Some lame excuse about him not liking the way he sang back then isn't gonna fly with me.

For the perfect example of what I mean (willing his way to singing like he used to decades ago) - watch between 4:15 - 4:23 of this video.

Another example between 2:14 - 2:30. DON'T TELL ME HE CAN'T STILL DO IT. I've seen it. And now so have you.

For me, the entire tour will be (an even bigger) LETDOWN if he doesn't try to hit the big notes in RHMT.

Are you going to tell me next that you don't want to see a quarterback around 40 years old throw a phenomenal touchdown once in a while? Would you have them just play it safe for the rest of their career...and never have another awe inspiring play again because they're not in their 20's anymore? Sounds thrilling!

U2 has always been at their best when they're inspiring and fearless....doubling down....not throwing down two pair when they might have had a royal flush if they had drawn one more card. FOUR PAIR or go home ;]
redhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 08:06 PM   #34
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhill View Post
Yes, it is scary when someone doesn't even know what makes them great.
I think you're reading too much into the quote. I think if he had said, "oh, that singing was amazing, that's what makes us great", people would be losing their lunch. Bono and U2 have always been somewhat self-deprecating and humble about listening back to their recordings.
Quote:
A larger argument could be made that that's the exact reason U2 is following the pack instead of "f*ing up the mainstream" and not being afraid of "losing some of the pop kids". Even though SOI was an outstanding album, they are still lost in terms of their mindset at the moment.
Or it could be there age. Rock bands their age don't fuck up the mainstream, they're happy even if they're in the mainstream.

The 'pop kids' quote is so often misunderstood in here, it's not nearly as brave as you may want to think. The 90's were about 'alternative' there was nothing brave about dissing the 'pop kids'. Context is everything.

Quote:
For me, the entire tour will be (an even bigger) LETDOWN if he doesn't try to hit the big notes in RHMT.
Wow, a couple of notes will ruin the whole tour for you? Sad.

No one is even remotely saying he's not going to try and hit the notes. Why this over the top panic? He'll hit the notes in his 2017 voice, period. It may be a more head voice vs the full voice of then, but he'll hit the notes. Stop creating panic.
BVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 08:11 PM   #35
Refugee

Quote:
I think you're reading too much into the quote. I think if he had said, "oh, that singing was amazing, that's what makes us great", people would be losing their lunch. Bono and U2 have always been somewhat self-deprecating and humble about listening back to their recordings.

Or it could be there age. Rock bands their age don't fuck up the mainstream, they're happy even if they're in the mainstream.

The 'pop kids' quote is so often misunderstood in here, it's not nearly as brave as you may want to think. The 90's were about 'alternative' there was nothing brave about dissing the 'pop kids'. Context is everything.

No one is even remotely saying he's not going to try and hit the notes. Why this over the top panic? He'll hit the notes in his 2017 voice, period. It may be a more head voice vs the full voice of then, but he'll hit the notes. Stop creating panic.
Who's creating panic? As of right now we have no idea how he'll sing it.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:20 PM   #36
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Who's creating panic? As of right now we have no idea how he'll sing it.
Then why is it you seem to have already made up your mind?
Old 02-21-2017, 04:58 AM   #37
Refugee

Quote:
Bono and U2 have always been somewhat self-deprecating and humble about listening back to their recordings.
Not always and this varies by band member.

Quote:
U2's not supposed to be just any rock band...they've always been a bit special, no? Maybe you're following the wrong band. There's Nickelback and Creed forums somewhere online...

Quote:
They've had quotes like this their entire career. So your context argument is invalid at best. Think back to when Paul M was talking about Pride and how that it being a hit had to come about in the right way. Obviously people need to adapt in this world but this band has always been about doing their own thing and leading with courage. You seem confused.

Quote:
You're the sad one, my friend. The tour is already pretty pathetic...and part of their "new" approach. The "desperate bid for relevance" tour. You might as well name the tour that. The magic only happens when these things happen naturally...you can't (or at least shouldn't try) to force it. Think back to how the subject matter of ATYCLB came sharply into focus while they were already touring it...and those historic NYC shows. They've got it backwards.

If they neuter RHMT it will be even worse...but you can't really ruin a flawed concept anyway. U2 (and, it appears, you) are the ones being SAD right now.

I'm a busy man and I don't have time for an entire U2 history lesson so bear that in mind if you choose to reply.
Old 02-21-2017, 05:02 AM   #38
Refugee

Quote:
Then why is it you seem to have already made up your mind?
Well, think back to the re-released Sweetest Thing. That coupled with Bono's comments don't bode well for this new vocal. All I ask is that he tries to hit those big notes the best he can.

Wave of Sorrow was rather commendable so there is hope.

But don't try to paint me as an alarmist because you're confused about U2. That's just ridiculous.
Old 02-21-2017, 05:37 AM   #39
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

I'm a busy man and I don't have time for an entire U2 history lesson so bear that in mind if you choose to reply.

No please bro, please. Don't deny us all your lengthy commentary on U2, we're all brand new or confused about the band. I think a lengthy meandering post might set us all straight, it will be totally worth your time.
Old 02-21-2017, 06:40 AM   #40
Refugee

Quote:
No please bro, please. Don't deny us all your lengthy commentary on U2, we're all brand new or confused about the band. I think a lengthy meandering post might set us all straight, it will be totally worth your time.
I didn't say everyone....just you.

Sarcasm fail
Old 02-22-2017, 02:11 AM   #41
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Wh... what the fuck is going on in here lol
I know I sometimes read too much into the various goings-on of the whole U2 operation, but this... this is a whole new level of absurdity hahha
Catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 02:28 AM   #42
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catman View Post
Wh... what the fuck is going on in here lol
I know I sometimes read too much into the various goings-on of the whole U2 operation, but this... this is a whole new level of absurdity hahha
Not a whole lot to read into. U2 adopted a desperate mindset at some point and are now in danger of neutering one of their most vital songs....just prior to going on their "reverse gear" tour. *That* is absurd.
Old 02-22-2017, 03:09 AM   #43
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Not a whole lot to read into. U2 adopted a desperate mindset at some point and are now in danger of neutering one of their most vital songs....just prior to going on their "reverse gear" tour. *That* is absurd.
I'm sorry for coming across so flippantly--judging by your username, RHMT is clearly very special to you (and maybe a large part of my total bewilderment to this discussion is that I... don't really have a strong opinion of the song (no offense lol). To be fair, I can understand some fans taking issue with U2's decision to tour TJT as a sign of "clinging to the past," so to speak, when the band always seem so focused on forward momentum (or, at least, attempt a forward trajectory )... but the notion that U2's re-recording of the vocal track--which nobody has heard, mind you--is evidence that the band's intentionally neutering their work rather than it simply being a result of Bono unable to healthily sing the notes as they appear on record from 30 years ago... that just doesn't make sense to me.
Catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 03:24 AM   #44
you are what you is

Local Time: 01:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvox View Post
Where is the quote from him downplaying his original singing? Or that he intends to change the key?
Yeah, I don't think anyone will find any quote on the necessity to change the key.
I don't think they key needed changing, ever. I am not under the impression it is in a higher key than most of the Joshua Tree.

However, on the album version Bono really is straining to pour every bit of emotion possible into his vocal delivery. He barely manages to balance the very fine line between singing and shouting for large parts of the song.
I honestly can't think of any other U2 song where Bono works this hard.
God Part II probably comes closest, without ever getting close at all.

To replicate that every night (or even, at all) would be impossible.
I expect the new vocal delivery to be slightly less 'shouty' and more 'proper singing'.
Which is why it will probably fall short of the amazing feat that is the album version, but will still be very good anyway.
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Salome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 03:27 AM   #45
Refugee

Local Time: 09:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salome View Post
I honestly can't think of any other U2 song where Bono works this hard.
God Part II probably comes closest, without ever getting close at all.
Like A Song

AndrewCowley is offline   Reply With Quote