So Does Anyone Wanna Place Any Bets on the New RHMT Vocal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bono has always downplayed his singing when looking back, nothing "scary" about it.
Not being able to sing like you could in your 20's? Welcome to being human.

Why would you want him to take as many takes as possible if it's not something he'll be able to sing live?

Yes, it is scary when someone doesn't even know what makes them great. A larger argument could be made that that's the exact reason U2 is following the pack instead of "f*ing up the mainstream" and not being afraid of "losing some of the pop kids". Even though SOI was an outstanding album, they are still lost in terms of their mindset at the moment.

As far as not being able to sing like he could in his 20's....the miracle of Bono, to me, has always been his ability to will his way into greatness. He couldn't even sing when he started lest we forget. I would rather see that will and have him fall flat on his face (which he did literally on the JT tour a couple times) than sing some bogus lullaby version of it without the big notes. This is one of the songs that, like Lanois said during the recording of the Classic Albums (JT) program...about ISHFWILF....makes you unable to not feel that feeling.

To take that urgency away from this song will be an unforgivable tragedy (if he does).

This is ONE OF THOSE ONES in their musical cannon. Undeniably powerful and now made something of a legend for several reasons.

DON'T NEUTER IT.

Back to the singing it live question. I'd rather him try his damndest every night and fail save one. That one time he gets it would be greater than the combination of all the times he couldn't do it. That is part of the magic they talk about when the concert "goes off".

This isn't some random cornball acoustic version of Stay we're talking about here. As a matter of fact, this is a good example. There was only one truly inspired version of that song (8/28/93). All the crap versions were worth it since we now have that one magic moment captured forever.

Don't tell me he can't do that song justice. I'm not looking for perfection. But F*ING try at least. Some lame excuse about him not liking the way he sang back then isn't gonna fly with me.

For the perfect example of what I mean (willing his way to singing like he used to decades ago) - watch between 4:15 - 4:23 of this video.

Another example between 2:14 - 2:30. DON'T TELL ME HE CAN'T STILL DO IT. I've seen it. And now so have you.

For me, the entire tour will be (an even bigger) LETDOWN if he doesn't try to hit the big notes in RHMT.

Are you going to tell me next that you don't want to see a quarterback around 40 years old throw a phenomenal touchdown once in a while? Would you have them just play it safe for the rest of their career...and never have another awe inspiring play again because they're not in their 20's anymore? Sounds thrilling!

U2 has always been at their best when they're inspiring and fearless....doubling down....not throwing down two pair when they might have had a royal flush if they had drawn one more card. FOUR PAIR or go home ;]

Last edited:
Yes, it is scary when someone doesn't even know what makes them great.
I think you're reading too much into the quote. I think if he had said, "oh, that singing was amazing, that's what makes us great", people would be losing their lunch. Bono and U2 have always been somewhat self-deprecating and humble about listening back to their recordings.
A larger argument could be made that that's the exact reason U2 is following the pack instead of "f*ing up the mainstream" and not being afraid of "losing some of the pop kids". Even though SOI was an outstanding album, they are still lost in terms of their mindset at the moment.
Or it could be there age. Rock bands their age don't fuck up the mainstream, they're happy even if they're in the mainstream.

The 'pop kids' quote is so often misunderstood in here, it's not nearly as brave as you may want to think. The 90's were about 'alternative' there was nothing brave about dissing the 'pop kids'. Context is everything.

For me, the entire tour will be (an even bigger) LETDOWN if he doesn't try to hit the big notes in RHMT.
Wow, a couple of notes will ruin the whole tour for you? Sad.

No one is even remotely saying he's not going to try and hit the notes. Why this over the top panic? He'll hit the notes in his 2017 voice, period. It may be a more head voice vs the full voice of then, but he'll hit the notes. Stop creating panic.

I think you're reading too much into the quote. I think if he had said, "oh, that singing was amazing, that's what makes us great", people would be losing their lunch. Bono and U2 have always been somewhat self-deprecating and humble about listening back to their recordings.

Or it could be there age. Rock bands their age don't fuck up the mainstream, they're happy even if they're in the mainstream.

The 'pop kids' quote is so often misunderstood in here, it's not nearly as brave as you may want to think. The 90's were about 'alternative' there was nothing brave about dissing the 'pop kids'. Context is everything.

No one is even remotely saying he's not going to try and hit the notes. Why this over the top panic? He'll hit the notes in his 2017 voice, period. It may be a more head voice vs the full voice of then, but he'll hit the notes. Stop creating panic.

Who's creating panic? As of right now we have no idea how he'll sing it.

Bono and U2 have always been somewhat self-deprecating and humble about listening back to their recordings.

Not always and this varies by band member.

U2's not supposed to be just any rock band...they've always been a bit special, no? Maybe you're following the wrong band. There's Nickelback and Creed forums somewhere online...

They've had quotes like this their entire career. So your context argument is invalid at best. Think back to when Paul M was talking about Pride and how that it being a hit had to come about in the right way. Obviously people need to adapt in this world but this band has always been about doing their own thing and leading with courage. You seem confused.

You're the sad one, my friend. The tour is already pretty pathetic...and part of their "new" approach. The "desperate bid for relevance" tour. You might as well name the tour that. The magic only happens when these things happen naturally...you can't (or at least shouldn't try) to force it. Think back to how the subject matter of ATYCLB came sharply into focus while they were already touring it...and those historic NYC shows. They've got it backwards.

If they neuter RHMT it will be even worse...but you can't really ruin a flawed concept anyway. U2 (and, it appears, you) are the ones being SAD right now.

I'm a busy man and I don't have time for an entire U2 history lesson so bear that in mind if you choose to reply.

Last edited:
Then why is it you seem to have already made up your mind?

Well, think back to the re-released Sweetest Thing. That coupled with Bono's comments don't bode well for this new vocal. All I ask is that he tries to hit those big notes the best he can.

Wave of Sorrow was rather commendable so there is hope.

But don't try to paint me as an alarmist because you're confused about U2. That's just ridiculous.

I'm a busy man and I don't have time for an entire U2 history lesson so bear that in mind if you choose to reply.

No please bro, please. Don't deny us all your lengthy commentary on U2, we're all brand new or confused about the band. I think a lengthy meandering post might set us all straight, it will be totally worth your time.

No please bro, please. Don't deny us all your lengthy commentary on U2, we're all brand new or confused about the band. I think a lengthy meandering post might set us all straight, it will be totally worth your time.

I didn't say everyone....just you.

Sarcasm fail :down:

Last edited:
Wh... what the fuck is going on in here lol
I know I sometimes read too much into the various goings-on of the whole U2 operation, but this... this is a whole new level of absurdity hahha

Wh... what the fuck is going on in here lol
I know I sometimes read too much into the various goings-on of the whole U2 operation, but this... this is a whole new level of absurdity hahha

Not a whole lot to read into. U2 adopted a desperate mindset at some point and are now in danger of neutering one of their most vital songs....just prior to going on their "reverse gear" tour. *That* is absurd.

Last edited:
Not a whole lot to read into. U2 adopted a desperate mindset at some point and are now in danger of neutering one of their most vital songs....just prior to going on their "reverse gear" tour. *That* is absurd.
I'm sorry for coming across so flippantly--judging by your username, RHMT is clearly very special to you (and maybe a large part of my total bewilderment to this discussion is that I... don't really have a strong opinion of the song (no offense lol). To be fair, I can understand some fans taking issue with U2's decision to tour TJT as a sign of "clinging to the past," so to speak, when the band always seem so focused on forward momentum (or, at least, attempt a forward trajectory :p)... but the notion that U2's re-recording of the vocal track--which nobody has heard, mind you--is evidence that the band's intentionally neutering their work rather than it simply being a result of Bono unable to healthily sing the notes as they appear on record from 30 years ago... that just doesn't make sense to me.

Where is the quote from him downplaying his original singing? Or that he intends to change the key?
Yeah, I don't think anyone will find any quote on the necessity to change the key.
I don't think they key needed changing, ever. I am not under the impression it is in a higher key than most of the Joshua Tree.

However, on the album version Bono really is straining to pour every bit of emotion possible into his vocal delivery. He barely manages to balance the very fine line between singing and shouting for large parts of the song.
I honestly can't think of any other U2 song where Bono works this hard.
God Part II probably comes closest, without ever getting close at all.

To replicate that every night (or even, at all) would be impossible.
I expect the new vocal delivery to be slightly less 'shouty' and more 'proper singing'.
Which is why it will probably fall short of the amazing feat that is the album version, but will still be very good anyway.

I'm sorry for coming across so flippantly--judging by your username, RHMT is clearly very special to you (and maybe a large part of my total bewilderment to this discussion is that I... don't really have a strong opinion of the song (no offense lol). To be fair, I can understand some fans taking issue with U2's decision to tour TJT as a sign of "clinging to the past," so to speak, when the band always seem so focused on forward momentum (or, at least, attempt a forward trajectory :p)... but the notion that U2's re-recording of the vocal track--which nobody has heard, mind you--is evidence that the band's intentionally neutering their work rather than it simply being a result of Bono unable to healthily sing the notes as they appear on record from 30 years ago... that just doesn't make sense to me.

Thanks for the balanced response. Yes, it is a special song to me. It was suggested (in this thread or another) that he was re-recording the vocal as preemptive damage control...

I do think that Bono slights his former vocals, in part, because he know he can't sing like that anymore. I just hope it's not delusion and it does irritate me that he doesn't give himself enough credit for his amazing vocal feats of the past. Personally, I find it most inspiring when he does his best to challenge himself to still hit those notes and sing it like he used to / the original studio track. It recaptures the magic for me that can wane as the years pass. As evidenced in other posted video in this thread, he CAN still do it sometimes.

I just hope he tries to do it justice and don't expect miracles. With that said, If he sings it like a lullaby I will be HIGHLY disappointed. He has to do something to maintain the original urgency and I hope he attempts something grand with the big notes. Watch the Fallon performance of Angel of Harlem.

It's a respectable vocal overall but he totally cops out at 2:12 - 2:20. That's supposed to be the most jubilant and uplifting part of the song (to me, at least). If he does something like this with the new RHMT vocal instead of doing something within his current range to retain some of the urgency of the original chorus...it will be a real shame.

If they then perform such a version every night (when it's never been played live before)...it will be an even bigger shame.

I just hope that's not the case.

As you mentioned, I do find this tour questionable at best. What could save it for me (in part) are inspired versions of JT songs. They have to breathe new life into them while still respecting the original (especially Bono). I am worried that we might get tired warhorse versions of setlist staples (you know the ones) and uninspired versions of songs they haven't played in a long time...or ever. RHMT will be the proving ground for me...

I wish I could find the audio but does anyone remember the radio performance of WOWY from several years back? I think a DJ or other radio personality had passed...and they dedicated it to him. It sounds as if Bono went back and listened to the original studio version and attempted a more faithful rendition vocally. That is what I hope for.

Last edited:
If he couldn't do the vocals like on the album version of RHMT 30 years ago, then he sure as hell won't be able to do it now.

If you choose to be disappointed by this, then that's your perogative, I guess.

However, on the album version Bono really is straining to pour every bit of emotion possible into his vocal delivery. He barely manages to balance the very fine line between singing and shouting for large parts of the song.
I honestly can't think of any other U2 song where Bono works this hard.
God Part II probably comes closest, without ever getting close at all.

:up:

If he couldn't do the vocals like on the album version of RHMT 30 years ago, then he sure as hell won't be able to do it now.

If you choose to be disappointed by this, then that's your perogative, I guess.

I already stated my opinion more clearly than you're suggesting. I won't be disappointed if he tries to maintain the urgency of the chorus...only if he chooses to completely disregard it and sing the song like a lullaby (à la Edge SBS during Popmart) instead. All I ask is for him to try and do it as much justice as he currently can. This song demands some reverence.

Is that such a horrible thing to hope for?!

Last edited:

No alarmism here, just keep on scrolling folks.

I already stated my opinion more clearly than you're suggesting. I won't be disappointed if he tries to maintain the urgency of the chorus...only if he chooses to completely disregard it and sing the song like a lullaby (à la Edge SBS during Popmart) instead. All I ask is for him to try and do it as much justice as he currently can. This song demands some reverence.

I totally share these concerns. I'm almost expecting one or more of the JT songs to get this treatment. If not RHMT then it will be some other song.

Weird thing is, if they are going to neuter RHMT then why immortalise it by recording a studio version of it? This gives me hope that they must have some confidence in the re-recorded vocal. Otherwise it will simply serve as a permanent reminder of how in a lot of ways, Bono's voice simply doesn't cut it these days.

Last edited:

But it seems like you have decided that this is happening, when all we know is he has re-recorded just the vocal for the verses, and they've added some brass. And I would say that is pretty much evidence AGAINST what you are suggesting - that if they didn't touch the chorus, yet are promoting it as a single, that maybe he thinks he can nail the chorus. I'll repeat Gabe's question here - does anyone have proof that that is WHY they never played it? Maybe it was just one too many meandering, mid-tempo songs?

I totally share these concerns. I'm almost expecting one or more of the JT songs to get this treatment. If not RHMT then it will be some other song.

Weird thing is, if they are going to neuter RHMT then why immortalise it by recording a studio version of it? This gives me hope that they must have some confidence in the re-recorded vocal. Otherwise it will simply serve as a permanent reminder of how in a lot of ways, Bono's voice simply doesn't cut it these days.

A reasonable post?! Thanks! I hope you're wrong about the treatment and right about the vocal!

Last edited:
But it seems like you have decided that this is happening, when all we know is he has re-recorded just the vocal for the verses, and they've added some brass. And I would say that is pretty much evidence AGAINST what you are suggesting - that if they didn't touch the chorus, yet are promoting it as a single, that maybe he thinks he can nail the chorus. I'll repeat Gabe's question here - does anyone have proof that that is WHY they never played it? Maybe it was just one too many meandering, mid-tempo songs?

Where did you read that they were just re-recording the verses and not the chorus? This doesn't make sense to me...they're just going to juxtapose new verses with the old choruses?

I'd appreciate your source and in the meantime will try to find some proof / a source to confirm that they never played it due to the vocal challenge it would present on a nightly basis...

I wish I could recall where the quote actually is, but there's definitely a remark out there that RHMT was dumped as a single because Bono didn't think he could do it every night of the tour (which isn't to say he didn't think he could do it sometimes, and they worked on it during the third leg).

But then Bono once said they couldn't play Acrobat because Edge would need to meditate in a tree for a month.

So, Bono lies.

If people consistently can't see what you said as sarcasm, perhaps they aren't the ones suffering from sarcasm fail...

Obviously I saw that it was an attempt to be funny using sarcasm...it just wasn't funny...

For something to be funny it generally has to have at least a small grain of truth. The reality is that U2 has a long standing history of (at times) dumbing down songs to play them live instead of putting in the work to play them full band and/or otherwise do them justice.

So my concern that RHMT will get this treatment are quite founded...and hence not alarmism or "panic".

So BVS is being disingenuous and trolling.

Did you really need that explained to understand?

Last edited:
I wish I could recall where the quote actually is, but there's definitely a remark out there that RHMT was dumped as a single because Bono didn't think he could do it every night of the tour (which isn't to say he didn't think he could do it sometimes, and they worked on it during the third leg).

But then Bono once said they couldn't play Acrobat because Edge would need to meditate in a tree for a month.

So, Bono lies.

Yea, I remember this and am looking for an earlier source. I don't buy the current party line that the only reason they didn't play it was due to tempo...

BVS was looking for that source in an old thread but I'm guessing he won't be much help.

Last edited:
rather than it simply being a result of Bono unable to healthily sing the notes as they appear on record from 30 years ago... that just doesn't make sense to me.

Not to harp on about this, but should we expect new recordings of SHFWILF, Pride, etc? Because this logic applies to those songs even more..

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom