RS: Bono Talks 'Joshua Tree' Tour, Trump, Status of U2's Next Album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Great interview. My main takeaways:

-We now know why the pre-JT part of the set keeps shrinking. Bono is preoccupied with their use of IMAG in the show. Here, he says he's proud that they're "ants" for the first few songs... and yet says they've shortened that part of the show because they don't want to be "ants" for too long. I'd rather they just use IMAG the whole time and give us a proper (longer) buildup toward The Joshua Tree. They already did the "start with a punk rock show" idea on the I&E tour, with the lightbulb.
-Confirmation that the band feels they covered enough of Boy and October on the I&E tour, hence the shift toward War and TUF.
-SoE doesn't sound that far off. This makes me skeptical that we'll see any more Joshua Tree shows beyond the dates that have been announced.

Well we can at least stop the speculation on if the JT will continue on. This almost guarantees a 2017 release of SOE if they have venues scheduled for the tour already. Hell ya!

Well we can at least stop the speculation on if the JT will continue on. This almost guarantees a 2017 release of SOE if they have venues scheduled for the tour already. Hell ya!

Where does he say that the Joshua Tree won't continue beyond the European leg?

I don't jump to that conclusion....only cause we get burned a lot with assumptions.

The I/E tour could resume in 2019....

I assume we'll know more in the next few months, as shows for SA/ROW would go on sale in the summer correct?

What I like about that interview is Bono was up front...the tour was to honor the album that meant so much. The commonalities between 1987 and the world today are unmistakable, but the tour was not conceived to speak to those commonalities. It was just worth noting.

I appreciate that he didn't take the easy road of claiming the very tour itself was borne of this grand idea. The relevance revealed itself, but was not the genesis.

What I like about that interview is Bono was up front...the tour was to honor the album that meant so much. The commonalities between 1987 and the world today are unmistakable, but the tour was not conceived to speak to those commonalities. It was just worth noting.

I appreciate that he didn't take the easy road of claiming the very tour itself was borne of this grand idea. The relevance revealed itself, but was not the genesis.

I'm not sure Bono saying this tour was to "honor" the album is exactly being up front. To be more specific, I don't buy it. Though at least saying they're "honoring the album" passes the laugh test more than the "2017 is like 1987" rubbish.

That aside, it was a good interview and it was nice hearing Bono talk about the mechanics of the tour a bit and the thought that went into the setlist.

Money is always a factor. Contracts are always a factor. It's a big world with multiple motivations, and money is one of them.

But they didn't do a "fuck off...here's Elevation 19 times so we can get paid, bitches" tour. They did a JT tour on its anniversary to honor an album that gave them everything.

I have no problem putting that in my mind while knowing the financial machinations. At all...and without the slightest bit of conflict.

done a lot of message boards, mostly sports, but this is the first time I have been accused of being a sock.

For one, I fucking hate emoticons...

i'm not sure bono saying this tour was to "honor" the album is exactly being up front. To be more specific, i don't buy it. Though at least saying they're "honoring the album" passes the laugh test more than the "2017 is like 1987" rubbish.

That aside, it was a good interview and it was nice hearing bono talk about the mechanics of the tour a bit and the thought that went into the setlist.

+1

They could keep a proper buildup by using the same screen real estate as the opener for the pre-JT songs.

Yeah, I wish they'd just use the right hand portion of the screen, like the opening acts do. Just band shots, maybe black & white. Nothing special, just to give those in the nosebleeds an option other than looking at ants. Then they could keep that longer opening set, maybe with both ASOH & Bad :drool:

Stop making sense

Screen shots of Bono in a big suit?

eb83dc4011e16a6bf122523d6d649fd9.jpg

Back
Top Bottom