**POSSIBLE SPOILERS** The Joshua Tree Tour 2017 Rehearsal Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
u2start seems to think that the trucks have only started loading in today...

C-MSSLxW0AAQi3P.jpg

... so not so sure about that rehearsal yesterday, but clearly they'll be starting soon.

Also can't cross off the (less likelier) option that the band could be rehearsing somewhere else in the city without the stage. Either way, we're at the 2.5 week mark.

Band has not yet rehearsed in Vancouver!

What you may have heard was either taped or crew.

Nevertheless: Tanks a lot for any updates.

wow is that a big central screen?? they could play inside like the I&E tour?? exciting times !!

wow is that a big central screen?? they could play inside like the I&E tour?? exciting times !!

Yeah was gonna say is that screen something already in the stadium or something for the u2 gig

That screen most likely belongs to the stadium. It will probably be taken down for U2 if possible.

The video scoreboard would be staying up I presume, it's massive too but goes right up to the cables supporting the retractable roof. If I remember correctly it was up there when I saw Roger Waters.

Yeah,just had this from u2.com

We can't fall any further if,
we can't feel ordinary love.
And we cannot reach any higher,
if we can't deal with ordinary love…'

Dear Christian,

The chorus to Ordinary Love and one of the songs that might - MIGHT - turn up in the new show.

In fact, the word from Show Director Willie Williams is that there’s an idea to feature you all singing the chorus of Ordinary Love on The Joshua Tree Tour 2017.

Singing it in ordinary situations: walking the dog, on the treadmill, at the supermarket, doing the ironing, baking a cake, driving the car, in the shower…

It’s early days and the idea might not make the cut…. but you could make the difference.

Can you see yourself on screen at the show ? In the chorus, backing the band as they play Ordinary Love?

If you can, please get it our way by MAY 1ST.

Oh fuck please no.

Everybody send in the most off-key and tuneless contributions you possibly can. I'm tempted to record some death growls...

Dear Christian,

The chorus to Ordinary Love and one of the songs that might - MIGHT - turn up in the new show.

In fact, the word from Show Director Willie Williams is that there’s an idea to feature you all singing the chorus of Ordinary Love on The Joshua Tree Tour 2017.

Singing it in ordinary situations: walking the dog, on the treadmill, at the supermarket, doing the ironing, baking a cake, driving the car, in the shower…

It’s early days and the idea might not make the cut…. but you could make the difference.

Can you see yourself on screen at the show ? In the chorus, backing the band as they play Ordinary Love?

If they insist on it so much, I can only hope it's not the fucking acoustic version.

Dear Christian,

Fuck off.

Please tell me this isn't real.

Jesus fucking christ, could these cunts be any more stupid...

I think they tried this idea on the 360 tour with 'Trying to Throw Your Arms Around The World'. There's an IEM recording of it floating around somewhere. Basically using recordings of fans around the world to fill in parts of the song. Then they stop because Bono says it feels too forced/contrived (if i recall correctly). So i wonder if this will be any better.

I kind of suspect we'll get another acoustic version rather than full band/plugged in - it feels like it would be easier to participate with a looser, acoustic arrangement. Though I'd love to see what OL sounds like played properly.

Also, it feels tonally inappropriate to have a song about a civil rights, anti-apartheid icon (who recently died too) being covered by people walking their dog, showering, grocery shopping etc... i mean, what sort of mood are they trying to strike?

Last edited:
well i like the song (errrehmmmagodit'soterribleyouhasnotasteeeeshutup).

the idea, however, sounds pretty hokey.

my one concern with this tour is that they're so desperate to prove that this tour doesn't make them a "heritage act" (honestly who gives a turkey other than u2girl and redhill... and larry #notonboard) that they bombard the rest of the setlist with, like 99% songs from 2000 on and ignore everything else other than the warriest of war horses.

like when they played the rock hall of fame 25th and had to beat us over the head with vertigo, magnificent, beautiful day, stuck in a moment (although cool duet with jagger on that one) and the fucking black eyed peas. ohhhh look at us we're not dinosaurs. shut up, yes you are.

If they really want to prove this tour doesn't make them a heritage act, then they really should (assuming it's finished - admittedly a big 'if') debut the lead single from SoE. Like a few have suggested, take advantage of the thematic link between SoE and TJT, and use this tour to promote the upcoming album.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom